Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

Season 5: Say It Ain't So! Good-bye Detective Michael Logan

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

It was unintentional foreshadowing, but "Second Opinion" aired on WE last night, a.k.a. Jack McCoy's arrival, and the episode with the breast cancer patient who dies with cyanide emanating from her body, and it was sort of prescient to see Van Buren eating pizza with Logan and Briscoe, talking about what she'd do if she ever got "the Big C".

Obviously, she did get it years later, but it was funny how she told Logan and Briscoe that she'd be spending it with her hubby and kids and not eating pizza with them. (And when she did get it, she and her husband had split and she still worked! Best laid plans...)

Just so odd how this turned into foreshadowing...

And that convenient plot line was something I detested. Because what little we saw of Anita's husband and family life, it was a good and loving one. I don't see why they couldn't just recast her husband with Ernie Hudson if the show wanted him that much. And though it may be nitpicking, she had ovarian cancer, not breast cancer--and it was breast cancer she was referring to when she had that conversation with Lennie and Mike in "Second Opinion."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And that convenient plot line was something I detested. Because what little we saw of Anita's husband and family life, it was a good and loving one. I don't see why they couldn't just recast her husband with Ernie Hudson if the show wanted him that much. And though it may be nitpicking, she had ovarian cancer, not breast cancer--and it was breast cancer she was referring to when she had that conversation with Lennie and Mike in "Second Opinion."

I know the cancer was different. But, IIRC, the three were discussing cancer in general terms since the victim was dying, so it did still sort of apply.

3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know the cancer was different. But, IIRC, the three were discussing cancer in general terms since the victim was dying, so it did still sort of apply.

I'd have to rewatch, but I'm almost positive that Van Buren said that if she ever got it, it being breast cancer, because that was what Mike couldn't understand--why so many of the women they spoke with, refused to get treatment or something, and what would she do if she got the big C.

Yeah, it was breast cancer, because Anita pokes at Mike about it - "What was the first thing you noticed about little Susie who sat across the aisle from you in school?" "C'mon, I was thirteen years old!" And Lennie goes, "Oh, and everything's changed since then, right?"

• Like 2

Thanks! Still, it applies, as it discussed what Van Buren would do if she got cancer. It's something that the discussion happened fairly early on (hey S5 is still early out of 20 seasons!) and it sadly came to pass, even if in another form.

I also don't get why the show had Van Buren's marriage go to hell, but maybe it was believed it would open more avenues for the character. Seems like the show had it out for happy relationships! (I know, happy equals boring, but it's still noticeable.)

Well, I think being a cop could be hard on a marriage, especially if you had charges under you.  Yeah, it would've been nice to have her marriage last, but I think it was realistic that it may not have.  

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Thanks! Still, it applies, as it discussed what Van Buren would do if she got cancer. It's something that the discussion happened fairly early on (hey S5 is still early out of 20 seasons!) and it sadly came to pass, even if in another form.

I also don't get why the show had Van Buren's marriage go to hell, but maybe it was believed it would open more avenues for the character. Seems like the show had it out for happy relationships! (I know, happy equals boring, but it's still noticeable.)

Happy equals boring because the writers are lazy.

• Like 1

WThe only marriage to last in the Mothership was that if Cerretta. And his wife was played by the same actress that played Mafia Don Frank Massucci's wife. 

Cragen had a happy marriage-UNTIL Wolf decided to kill his wife when he appeared on SVU. Max had a happy marriage-until the show killed him off.

Schiff had a long happy marriage-until the show killed his wife off in "Terminal."

And of course Rey. Aaand the show killed her off, too!

Did I miss anyone?

On another note, from the Actors In Other Roles in the Criminal Intent forum:

6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Courtney B. Vance is in the episode, "Rage", from Season 5 of the Mothership on WE as I type.

Ah yes, The One Where Carver Kills Somebody. 

Seriously, though, I can't with that character. Greer may have been filled with anger for a reason, but using that as an excuse for murder (and trying to make it look like suicide on top of that) doesn't work for me. I couldn't believe it when he told Mike that not only was he better than some punk who'd robbed a 7 - Eleven, he was also better than Mike.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Seriously, though, I can't with that character. Greer may have been filled with anger for a reason, but using that as an excuse for murder (and trying to make it look like suicide on top of that) doesn't work for me. I couldn't believe it when he told Mike that not only was he better than some punk who'd robbed a 7 - Eleven, he was also better than Mike.

But it made me love his shocked/bewildered look at the end when he was found guilty. I think with some other African-Americans on the jury, he was sure he would walk. So it was good to see Greer face cold hard reality.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The delusional often think like that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Not to mention the the fact that he CHEATED his way to the top at that business, and used that same bullshit to justify it. He was nothing but a two-bit con artist.

• Like 3