Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Celebrity: A La Cuisine!

(edited)

The oven mitts come off as the celebrity recruits fight for a spot in the finale. In the first challenge, the celebrities must tell mentors Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence how to cook a dish. After that, they face their toughest challenge yet in the Worst Cooks version of Iron Chef, Aluminum Foil Chef, and the two celebrities with the best dishes head to the finale.

Edited by Jaded

Tyler has been flirting with LaToya since the beginning, we all knew she'd be the last one standing on his team.  

And Ian?  -  He knows the taste of Juniper berries, He knows flavor profiles, knew about Asian flavors combining ginger and garlic, etc.  He came into the competition knowing a lot more about cooking then he let on, pretended that he was a "worst cook"  so that he could be on yet another reality show.  

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, backformore said:

Tyler has been flirting with LaToya since the beginning, we all knew she'd be the last one standing on his team.  

Yeah, that was telegraphed when he basically tuned out Oscar during Remote Control Chef (when did they actually name the challenge that?) and listened only to LaToya. But it made me laugh when he tuned both of them out and made what he wanted to make anyway.

• Love 5

Yep, we sure saw this coming.  Ian will win, in part because  he eats white things.  What, is LaToya six?  Ian tipped his hand with juniper berries.   

Seems Tyler might want a friendship with a Jackson to see where that could take him career wise.  

• Love 4

Even if Tyler didn't have a crush on LaToya, let's be honest, Oscar is a disaster and would have stood no chance in the end. As it was, Ian seemed to be the only reason his dish even came close to being okay. He melts down way too much. And whatshername didn't stand a chance against Ian either. She would be setting the kitchen on fire. 

• Love 6

I was pretty sure Ian and LaToya would be final two but I can't argue with it.  I like Oscar but he's frenetic to the max and wouldn't be able to cope with cooking the final dinner.  Ian was clearly the better of the other team.  I'll be OK with either of them winning but I think Ian has a better chance because he eats meat and white food and other exotic stuff like that.

• Love 9
(edited)
19 hours ago, backformore said:

And Ian?  -  He knows the taste of Juniper berries, He knows flavor profiles, knew about Asian flavors combining ginger and garlic, etc.  He came into the competition knowing a lot more about cooking then he let on, pretended that he was a "worst cook"  so that he could be on yet another reality show.  

This show is fake and he is most likely lying but I have several friends who know food and flavors and can't cook for shit. Plus, he also noted that the reason he knew the juniper was because he loves gin.

I feel like Ann actually did the RC challenge as it was intended and did exactly what her team told her to do and Tyler ignored them once he thought he knew what the dish was going for and that annoyed me.

Ian was praised for his knife cuts they were way to large for a stir fry and La Tayo got through with a dish that was so bad they had to show the raw raw chicken.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
(edited)

Was Oscar throwing some subtle shade when he left about, "taking cooking lessons" beforehand?

I more or less am resigned that LaToya will win. I hope that the finale goes back to being a blind cook-off.  If not, Ian is doomed. He's a pretty polarizing character and LaToya could cook a can of dog food and nobody is going to vote against a "Jackson."

I really don't care who wins. I like LaToya just fine but the Tyler-love was getting old pretty fast.  I also think that she, as well as EYE-an, knew a lot more about cooking than they pretended to.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, backformore said:

I agree but I also think LaToya is also somewhat of a ringer herself.  I've felt that way from the very beginning.  Right away I thought she handled food and utensils too comfortably for someone that doesn't know how to cook.  Am I the only person that notices how painfully thin she is?  The apron hides it but OMG she is almost anorexic if not full-on anorexic.  She's veering into Karen Carpenter territory, and she also hid it under clothing.  If that's how thin LaToya looks on camera, knowing how it can add 10 lbs., she must look even thinner in person!  YIKES.  When she went on about what foods she doesn't eat I thought to myself, "What food DOES she eat?"  I do feel sorry for her, though.  She seems like a sweet person.

• Love 3

When LaToya said she doesn't eat anything white, I immediately thought of a doctor my mom saw in the 1970's. She was maybe 15 pounds overweight and the doctor told her to avoid all white food and the weight would drop off. 

Avoiding white foods meant no sugar, flour, butter, milk, potatoes, etc. He could have said 'enjoy batterless meats/chicken/fish and lots of colorful veggies.' Maybe LaToya heard this same advice and took it a little too far. She seems the type to accept such advice at face value without digging into the concept. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This show is fake and he is most likely lying but I have several friends who know food and flavors and can't cook for shit. Plus, he also noted that the reason he knew the juniper was because he loves gin.

I like a martini on occasion and I would not be able to place the taste of a juniper berry.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Wings said:

I like a martini on occasion and I would not be able to place the taste of a juniper berry.  

Have you tried? Its a very similar to the taste of some gins. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

If you taste vodka and then taste gin (Beefeater or Tanqueray), you should be able to taste the juniper berry in the gin.

I always get Tanqueray.  Ok, now I have to go find juniper berries!  That will be impossible in Phoenix, it is not a sophisticated city (understatement).  I do love the weather. I keep reminding myself of that. 

ETA.  Amazon has them, of course.  :)  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Wings said:

I always get Tanqueray.  Ok, now I have to go find juniper berries!  That will be impossible in Phoenix, it is not a sophisticated city (understatement).  I do love the weather. I keep reminding myself of that. 

ETA.  Amazon has them, of course.  :)  

Try Whole Foods.  It's where I found juniper berries back in my turkey-brining days.

1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Try Whole Foods.  It's where I found juniper berries back in my turkey-brining days.

I put that on my WFs list when I was posting about that.   I love that it is only 6 minutes away with Trader Joes and 2 other super markets! 

I’m surprised they didn’t jump on the Iron Chef Commentator job more. If you were a d-list celebrity using reality shows to get screentime, wouldn’t you love the opportunity to show yourself in that kind of role? Yet they all seemed reluctant.