Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Contain the Flame

Upon the arrival of Batallion Chief Frankel, Jack begins his first shift as co-captain and continues to butt heads with Andy on leadership styles. Captain Pruitt has a difficult time following doctor’s orders and winds up back at the station to take on administrative duties. Meanwhile, the rest of the team at Station 19 responds to an attic fire at JJ’s apartment building and a call to a pool house party.

The cop guy is creepy... I don't particularly like either romantic option... But if it has to be one... Be Jake... Newton was right.. Andy is green... No shade its the truth... The best friend is still a lil too pushy but maybe they'll curtail it... Dean still my fave character so far

• Love 1

Absolutely - Scandal (in that it was a success, I personally hated it) and How To (love that show) are the exceptions it seems and I think that's because there was bigger forces eg Presidency, conspiracies, murder etc. Any character driven ones are a bomb. Bland characters played by bland actors.

• Love 2

I’m liking For the People a lot though! I also liked Off the Map, to my eternal shame...

I think the main character being green and not up for the captain role really disappointed/confused me. Just seeing the fire fighters not shut up when she called their attention last week, seeing her devotion to rules/procedure not be enough in the face of Jake’s “cool captain” routine, having the fire fighters not care about her authority, etc. What am I supposed to think now? Why bother with this storyline?

Jake looks like a beautiful ‘80s vampire to me. I liked him a lot more this week when he wasn’t muttering under his breath with the other douche. Dean’s storyline annoys me, as does Dean. 

I like Barrett Doss a lot. Some of that may be residual good will from when I saw her in the Groundhog Day musical (she was so good!), but I’m hoping she has more storyline time in the future. Kind of unfortunate that she seems to have more chemistry with Ben than Bailey does...

• Love 1

I’m enjoying For the People but it’s obvious that Shondaland has way more misses than hits. She (and/or her people) are marketing geniuses because if you didn’t know any better you’d think everything she touched turned to gold.

I’m not sure how a show with this subject matter manages to be so boring but it is. This show died with the casting. The writers put the nail in the coffin.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Absolutely - Scandal (in that it was a success, I personally hated it) and How To (love that show) are the exceptions it seems and I think that's because there was bigger forces eg Presidency, conspiracies, murder etc. Any character driven ones are a bomb. Bland characters played by bland actors.

I hate watched them all ... but never re-watched anything except vintage Grey's ... so, Yay for me???

2 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

I’m liking For the People a lot though! I also liked Off the Map, to my eternal shame...

I think the main character being green and not up for the captain role really disappointed/confused me. Just seeing the fire fighters not shut up when she called their attention last week, seeing her devotion to rules/procedure not be enough in the face of Jake’s “cool captain” routine, having the fire fighters not care about her authority, etc. What am I supposed to think now? Why bother with this storyline?

Jake looks like a beautiful ‘80s vampire to me. I liked him a lot more this week when he wasn’t muttering under his breath with the other douche. Dean’s storyline annoys me, as does Dean. 

I like Barrett Doss a lot. Some of that may be residual good will from when I saw her in the Groundhog Day musical (she was so good!), but I’m hoping she has more storyline time in the future. Kind of unfortunate that she seems to have more chemistry with Ben than Bailey does...

I think "For the People" is a pile of poop (poop I'm watching despite that insufferable girl from some other insufferable show).  But I was overly excited about your reference to "Off the Map", a show that got short shrift.  :-(

2 hours ago, doLLish said:

I’m enjoying For the People but it’s obvious that Shondaland has way more misses than hits. She (and/or her people) are marketing geniuses because if you didn’t know any better you’d think everything she touched turned to gold.

I’m not sure how a show with this subject matter manages to be so boring but it is. This show died with the casting. The writers put the nail in the coffin.

Yuppers.  Stick a fork in it, and tell Shondaland they've reached their expiration date.

In my best Gordon Ramsay imitation ::: "DONE".

• Love 2

For all that the show itself is fairly iffy, I do identify with what Andy is feeling in trying to prove herself. There's such a chasm between being good at your job and being a good administrator versus being a good manager and a good leader. It doesn't always translate. I can be a fantastic tour guide, the best one on staff but that doesn't mean I'll be a good manager. And it's an awful feeling when you're flailing at it.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

For all that the show itself is fairly iffy, I do identify with what Andy is feeling in trying to prove herself. There's such a chasm between being good at your job and being a good administrator versus being a good manager and a good leader. It doesn't always translate. I can be a fantastic tour guide, the best one on staff but that doesn't mean I'll be a good manager. And it's an awful feeling when you're flailing at it.

Maybe if she had actually worked her way up to Captain, it would have helped to give her that experience.  But she went from one of the team to Captain, no in-between steps that incorporated admin and managerial duties.  She and the co-captain should be drowning in paperwork they've never done before, but we only see the action stuff.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5

If this entire season (if they make it that long) about who will be the new captain then this is a waste of time. Three episodes in, it's obvious Frankel favors Jack and she could have easily appointed him and reject Pruitt's recommendation based on policy.

Was Seth sitting in the corner hoping the fire will pass by? 

At times, Victoria can be scary!

• Love 1

Ben is 1000 times more annoying on this show than he was on Grey's, and I found him pretty bland aside from being Miranda Bailey's main squeeze. If I have to hear him pontificate one more time about his experience as a surgeon, I think I might scream. They honestly didn't need him to connect the spin-off to Grey's, and why anyone thought he was interesting and "big" enough to help launch the spin-off, I'll never know. Addison Montgomery he is not. Private Practice this is not. I agree with everyone who has said the casting is a big problem. There is barely an ounce of cast chemistry among the bunch. It all feels forced. 

Unfortunately, I think ABC already has it poised for a season 2. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 4

I saved up three episodes to watch because the premiere was two-hours and I wasn't ever in the mood for two more hours of Ben Warren making mistakes and Learning A Valuable Lesson.

But it's bill-paying day and I needed three hours of background noise.  I liked it okay.  The thing I liked most is that LGBTQ characters are just there.

The central conceit--that the station captain's DAUGHTER has been part of his crew--is ridiculous.  Let alone that she busts out the occasional "Papi!"  And all this angst about her doing his paperwork and him sliding her in as a last-minute candidate for promotion to his job . . . please.

This show would be a joke if it were pitted against the early seasons of Grey's, but it's pretty comparable to current Grey's, which I still watch.  Some of the fire-fighting situations are interesting--blue ethanol fire and roof hot spots and so forth.  I'll stick with it until 9-1-1 is declared the winner.  Chicago Hope vs. ER redux.

• Love 2