Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Killer Asteroids, Oklahoma, and a Frizzy Hair Machine

• Start Topic

I didn't care about his accent.  It wasn't like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins!  It worked for this Canadian viewer :).  My only nitpick was mentioned upthread - where did he get the adult size Annie costumes?  Anyway I thought this was another excellent episode.  And reminds me once again about how wrong I was when I was snotty about the whole idea of Young Sheldon!

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

My only nitpick was mentioned upthread - where did he get the adult size Annie costumes? 

As one who never backs down from a good fanwank challenge, I will guess that Mr. Lundy either (1) always gets costumes in his size because stage fright is common among first time performers and because kids often catch illnesses that make them unable to perform, or (2) the short dress he wore was really a long loose robe costume for a short teen girl with a belt at his waist. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I got a kick out of Bad Boy Sheldon being sent to the principal's office, and his quickly added "Ma'am" when the assistant gave him that look. 

That was a perfect moment - that secretary no doubt puts up with a lot, but she MUST be "Ma'am"ed!  That is such a Southern thing!

• Love 3

This felt like just an excuse to let Iain do a song and dance routine, and I can't stand musical theater.  So for me, it was the weakest episode so far.  

The only authentic, pronounced Texas drawl on the show is Georgie's 

Rex Linn who plays the school principal is a native Texan.  Iain is really good, but it's too bad they couldn't have found a Texas kid who sounds more like Jim Parsons for the role.

I knew a lot of people in the south who were born and raised there, yet had no accent at all.  For some others, it would come and go depending on a variety of factors.  I would be surprised if young Sheldon spoke with an accent.  He is way too particular about proper pronunciation and grammar for that, in my opinion.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

I knew a lot of people in the south who were born and raised there, yet had no accent at all

I can't speak for the American south but my family is originally from Newfoundland and when we go back to visit family some have heavy accents, some it's just certain words and others speak with little to no accent at all. Not sure why but lack of a strong accent would never signal much to me.

• Love 1

So the gist of this, like previous episodes, is Sheldon doesn't get his way, he throws a temper tantrum/acts obnoxious/rude etc etc, then everyone has to fall all over him to make him feel better? 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

So the gist of this, like previous episodes, is Sheldon doesn't get his way, he throws a temper tantrum/acts obnoxious/rude etc etc, then everyone has to fall all over him to make him feel better? 

Yep!  That's Sheldon in a nutshell!  I'm seeing more and more where Mary and George should've nipped this in the bud.  It explains a lot about why grown-up Sheldon acts the way he does. 

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

How did they fall all over themselves for Sheldon? The only thing I remember them doing was taking him to see the psychologist.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

How did they fall all over themselves for Sheldon? The only thing I remember them doing was taking him to see the psychologist.

IMO, they tend to walk on egg shells around Sheldon's feelings.  Mary said "those are awfully big feelings for such a little boy," and while I can understand that side of it, I think they cater to him too often, and he doesn't always get reprimanded for his smart remarks to his parents.  So far George has taken Sheldon to see a launch because of his interest for a change;  they made a special trip to NASA to see the professor who insulted Sheldon (he moped for days):  Meemaw comforted Missy and Georgie because they felt like they didn't matter because Sheldon's needs seemed to come first; they gave in and got Sheldon a computer because he nagged them about it; and now he's a sore loser about the science fair and he has to go see the psychologist.  IMO, they should've been able to get him through that relatively minor disappointment.  YMMV.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Sheldon a computer because he nagged them about it

What I liked about that episode is that they may have gotten the computer because of Sheldon but it was made clear it was for the family and it was not being put into Sheldon's room for his personal use.  I think it made sense to get a computer given Sheldon's advanced abilities - but it was nice that they acknowledged that getting something like this was to be used by the whole family not just Sheldon.

• Love 5

I can guarantee you the George's interest in that computer died in about 2 days. Unless there are some really interesting games on there and until the internet comes around, Georgia could probably care less.

8 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I can guarantee you the George's interest in that computer died in about 2 days. Unless there are some really interesting games on there and until the internet comes around, Georgia could probably care less.

In defense of George I mainly used our home computer for mah jong in the pre Internet days!  My husband and my kids used it way more than I did and with the kids it was the rise of computer games that spiked their interest.  If the Internet had never happened we'd have had a lot of expensive doorstops in most homes I think!

• Love 4
On 3/31/2018 at 1:59 PM, Ina123 said:

With people mentioning how talented the young star is, go here and watch his reviews of Broadway shows:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LeeArm1/videos

I'm sure in some he must be about 4 years old. His mother is a theatre producer.

I'm also assuming most of us know he was in the well-received HBO show, Big Little Lies. 

There’s a fun moment in Brooklyn 99 where Jake finds out from his friend Doug Judy that a lot of child stars are obnoxious little monsters. Doug claims that one of the actors from ‘Stranger Things’ and the actor from Young Sheldon are both nightmares. Jake seems terribly disappointed, because ‘he was so good in Big Little Lies!!’ 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LadyKenobi said:

Sheldon doesn’t strike me as the kind of person who would place his private area that close to the floor at any age in the splits. Plus, as his workout with Penny showed us, he’s super-inflexible. 

That actually annoyed me, also.  Although children are much more flexible than adults, even a 9 year old can't do a full split without having practiced for years.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:05 PM, Spartan Girl said:

LOL at Sheldon locking the principal in the office so he could rant on the PA.

That kid playing Sheldon really is talented. Too bad he was thwarted by stage fright.

So his fear of birds came from watching The Birds. Yup, that explains it.

I love it when they tie Sheldon's "issues" to the event that caused it. 

• Love 3
On 3/29/2018 at 6:04 PM, Browncoat said:

It was kind of worth enduring Jason’s horrible accent to see him in the iconic red dress, singing “Tomorrow”.  

My thoughts exactly.  There wasn't a lot in this episode that worked for me, but I totally forgot about it all one he started singing.  Oh, and the scene where Sheldon just does.not.get Singing in the Rain was pretty awesome, too (although he apparently understood it eventually since he ended up in a musical).  Other than that, this was not a great ep.

(edited)

Can I just say, I loved Sheldon's dad making a strong effort to dissuade his boy from playing Annie on stage - but once he knew he was determined, still went to support him.

Spoiler

It's going to be sad to see him leaving the family.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:10 PM, ChitChat said:

It was funny when Sheldon yelled out "Fiddle Faddle" once he got home, and Connie said something along the lines of "Yeah, he's pretty mad.  He used the 'F' word!"

Particularly when Meemaw went on to comment that somebody would have to teach him to swear properly!

On 3/31/2018 at 9:41 PM, AnnaRose said:

I got a kick out of Bad Boy Sheldon being sent to the principal's office, and his quickly added "Ma'am" when the assistant gave him that look.

Considering his idea of rebellion is to use a type 1 pencil and chew gum, he's still got a lot to learn about rebelling.

Edited by saoirse
Added spoiler tag for something not known from this show
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, LadyKenobi said:

Plus, as his workout with Penny showed us, he’s super-inflexible. 

For the most part, it doesn't bother me when they diverge from the BBT future, but this episode went over the line.  Not only the flexibility, but the acting!  In this episode, he's already studying acting and reading about it.  With his eidetic memory, how could that have slipped his mind when Amy suggested he study acting so he wouldn't be humiliated when he lectures?  I'm glad Iain got to let loose and show off his zazzy moves, but it didn't seem like a true Young Sheldon episode.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:51 AM, Katy M said:

a nine-year-old can't do a full split without having practiced for years.

Didn't take Nephew de Voiceover but a few weeks when he was that age, so I'm willing to handwave it. Plus I don't have the burden of ever having watched any of BBT.  I'm here fresh and I'm loving all of it.  Iain charmed the crap out of me with that Lear speech, and the Evita number.

As far as George goes: in the first season of Frasier, Sam Malone visited Seattle.  Martin was immediately taken -- natch -- and asked Sam what Frasier had told him about his father.  

Sam, somewhat embarrassed: "He said you were dead." Frasier(defensively): "I was mad at you at the time!"

Lance gives such a terrific, layered performance --and his scenes with Iain are some of the most affecting of the series -- I believe they'll keep him that way til the show's end.