Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: The Venue

This was a really good one! It's nice to see Angela and Doris put to better use than their usual one scene at the coffee shop. Anna-Kat was definitely MVP this episode though. I loved her yelling "Smarten up!" at her siblings. I know a lot of people have been complaining that she's getting too bratty but she really is like a mini version of her mother.

• Love 7

I loved the way they handled the... affair. Lesbian representation has come a long way in a short time. No longer are we the weeping mothers losing custody of our children, drinking ourselves to death from shame and loneliness, or being killed off for fun and profit. And our sexuality is no longer limited to longing gazes, whispers, and face-touching.

I guess they decided to drop the Ana Kat OCD storyline. She's fun as a mini Katie, though.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This was a really good one! It's nice to see Angela and Doris put to better use than their usual one scene at the coffee shop. Anna-Kat was definitely MVP this episode though. I loved her yelling "Smarten up!" at her siblings. I know a lot of people have been complaining that she's getting too bratty but she really is like a mini version of her mother.

That's not a good thing....she's a miserable brat and not fun to watch.

• Love 3

Yeah, I didn't love this one.  I can do without Angela's womanizing.  One and done and all that.  I'm probably a little old school but I kind of like my family comedies to not have that aspect in them.  Before anyone says it's about her being a lesbian it is decidedly NOT.  I don't like that in men either.

And yes to Anna-Kat being a miserable brat and not fun to watch either.  It's one thing to tolerate all the adult female mean spiritedness on this show without hers too.

• Love 8

Can someone tell me why Chloe Brown-Mueller was able to rescind use of the house for the spring dance?  I thought Katie got the signed copy of the lease/contract that she needed from the husband (via email) BEFORE Angela dumped CBM.  I was dozing on and off so I clearly missed something!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah, I didn't love this one.  I can do without Angela's womanizing.  One and done and all that.  I'm probably a little old school but I kind of like my family comedies to not have that aspect in them.  Before anyone says it's about her being a lesbian it is decidedly NOT.  I don't like that in men either.

And yes to Anna-Kat being a miserable brat and not fun to watch either.  It's one thing to tolerate all the adult female mean spiritedness on this show without hers too.

I'm not a fan of womanizing either, by men or women... so I get what you mean.  (I couldn't watch How I Met Your Mother because Barney was so horrible to women.)  And Anna-Kat crosses the line to often from cute and funny to budding sociopath.  The writers and directors really need to be mindful of that, especially as she gets a little older and it stops being cute at all.

I did like the way they filmed Katie sending Anna-Kat out on her mission though.

1 hour ago, jalady said:

Can someone tell me why Chloe Brown-Mueller was able to rescind use of the house for the spring dance?  I thought Katie got the signed copy of the lease/contract that she needed from the husband (via email) BEFORE Angela dumped CBM.  I was dozing on and off so I clearly missed something!

I wondered the same thing.  If Katie has the signed contract, why was she asking her if she could still keep the venue?

• Love 3

On another note, I must have missed something in this show. How did this family end up with Hans Gruber, a pig, as a family pet?

There was an episode where Greg was going to roast a pig for a backyard BBQ and they went to buy a pig and found out it was still alive and they would have to slaughter it. Naturally nobody had the heart to do it.

That's not a good thing....she's a miserable brat and not fun to watch.

Wow, that's really harsh. She's precocious in that typical TV sitcom way but I'd hardly call her bratty. She's no Veruca Salt. She's the one who figured out how to get Greg fired as crossing guard, and she's the one who figured out how to blackmail Chloe into letting Katie keep the venue. She was also great following Katie's instructions. Overall she's pretty decent with her parents, I don't know why anyone thinks she's "bratty." I'm no fan of kids myself but I think she's pretty funny. This isn't The Brady Bunch after all.

No, that didn't really make any sense because once Chloe revealed it was actually her husband's signature Katie needed it was understood he had the say-so over the venue, not her. I supposed maybe she told him to rescind permission but Katie could get a lawyer involved since he initially signed away the rights.

• Love 10

Really, since Katie's husband was friends with Chloe's husband, he should have asked his friend, and they could have left Chloe out of it entirely. But that would have killed the entire plot. I chalk it up to sitcom hijinks, and leave it the common sense out of it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Really, since Katie's husband was friends with Chloe's husband, he should have asked his friend, and they could have left Chloe out of it entirely. But that would have killed the entire plot. I chalk it up to sitcom hijinks, and leave it the common sense out of it.

Only way you can put it. Similar to Taylor's boyfriend, how they want to write how Taylor can't use anything bigger than 2 syllable words. Yet, he is so stupid he doesn't get the fact you can't talk back to a speaker no matter how loud you yell. Same goes with Chloe's constant put down of the Otto's house and Katie. I mean look at her life and she wants to keep going on: "I'm better than you." When everyone else is like: "you're life is shit, get over yourself." 

What I couldn't figure out is why it was such a huge deal for Katie to get this ONE particular house for the gala... 

The part of Connecticut they live in (and pretty much all of Connecticut in general, really) is absolutely teeming with historic houses and landmarks. If one place were unavailable, it would be no problem whatsoever to get another. 

But no, Katie's like, it's either this house or the YMCA. Sure.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, what about Viv's house? It's right across the street, and from what we've seen of it, it's quite the estate. I know there's a tennis court out back.

Isn't she poor now, after the divorce?  Does she still have the house?

8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Isn't she poor now, after the divorce?  Does she still have the house?

She has the house, but she is only getting alimony and still trying to swing it like she is still a "BIG DEAL" when everyone else knows she is heading to the poor house. Yet, no one calls her out on it because they are waiting for the full crash and burn show. 

On 3/15/2018 at 5:38 PM, possibilities said:

I guess they decided to drop the Ana Kat OCD storyline. She's fun as a mini Katie, though.

I liked her character better as the "different" child that didn't quite fit in.  That was the reason they moved there, for her special ed.  Now apparently she's in training for being part of the next generation of bullies.  

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I liked her character better as the "different" child that didn't quite fit in.  That was the reason they moved there, for her special ed.  Now apparently she's in training for being part of the next generation of bullies.  

Yes, and that part I don't like. She is funny as mini Katie, but it does go too far. Her OCD has almost completely disappeared now. In fact, it hasn't been referenced since the season began. Which makes me upset. I hate it when they do a major point of how a series began and now have just let it go. Like on TAHM with Alan starting on down on his luck to having give very stupid and impossible reasons not to have money being a successful chiropractor to them turning him into a mooch to try to keep the show on its basis. At least with Oliver and Taylor, we saw Taylor's downfall with her circle of friends building since the season began. Even Oliver said this was going to eventually backfire on her. Even though he keep things with the whole "I'm a capitalist at 14 attitude" which now he is starting to see, that dying rich and alone, might not be the best way to go about things. I thought they nailed the goodbye scene with Oliver, Anna-kat and Hans Groeber. However, with Taylor, I liked better because it showed that while they hammer it constantly that Taylor is "stupid" that when she isn't in that circle, she actually shows a caring and intelligence. One of the reasons I think they even put her with a stupid boyfriend to show: "She isn't that dumb" we just think its funny. There is a fine line that series need to know when they take a characters issues and the push them to the extreme and then just dropping them because: "they got bored with it". Sadly, American Housewife is falling into many other sitcoms that don't see that and then come looking stupid themselves when they push the extremes. 

• Love 3

What I couldn't figure out is why it was such a huge deal for Katie to get this ONE particular house for the gala... 

The part of Connecticut they live in (and pretty much all of Connecticut in general, really) is absolutely teeming with historic houses and landmarks. If one place were unavailable, it would be no problem whatsoever to get another. 

It's been a couple weeks, but I thought all other venues were booked. Maybe George Hamilton will leave his estate to Oliver and Katie will use it for the gala. 

I'm assuming the season finale will be the spring gala, since Katie's been working on it all season. As much as she brings a lot of her problems on herself, I do hope the gala turns out okay. I hope it's not one of those ridiculous sitcom-y disasterfests.

• Love 2