Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for The Nightly Show

Bet JO is kicking himself right about now.

Eh, it sounds like Stewart wanted to do a show at 11:30 that was doing something different to TDS and Colbert. JO in that slot would just be "More Daily Show."

No need to discuss. Just YAY!

And TDS needs to keep Jessica Williams, but also have other non-white correspondents. Her "Purim Rant" in the spring of 2013 was one of the funniest bits I've ever seen on the show.

Again, Yay, Larry!

• Love 1

Hmm. Ideally this could duplicate the tone of Totally Biased but with (presumably) better budgetary support. I think they needed to find something that could be different from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

More details, from a New York Times piece: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/12/business/media/larry-wilmore-is-ready-for-the-minority-report.html

The new show would be called “The Minority Report With Larry Wilmore” (the T no longer silent, as it is on Mr. Colbert’s show); it would consist of a collection of sharp young minority comics discussing topics in the news; and all it needed was Larry Wilmore as host.

Mr. Stewart was reviewing a batch of tapes sent in by comics seeking to be correspondents on “The Daily Show” when the new idea took shape.

“I was seeing a lot of really sharp, funny people,” Mr. Stewart said. “And then I was trying to figure out what would be a way to get a lot of these voices on the air.”

Specifically, minority voices. But “The Minority Report With Larry Wilmore” will not limit itself to minority issues, both Mr. Wilmore and Mr. Stewart said. They expected the format to evolve, with some sort of nightly panel commenting on a range of issues in the news.

“Now,” Mr. Wilmore said, “all I’ve got to do is make sure this show is good.”

This is awesome, and I love the name of the show.  The description reminds me of Melissa Harris-Perry's weekend news panel show in that it's going to focus on underrepresented comics.  Great idea, and I'm totally looking forward to it.

(edited)

I think this sounds terrific.  I don't really want TDS/TCR to become "a brand" (which Oliver's show is becoming) but if the shows can maintain enough independence, I'm all for well-done satire (because rare and medium-well satire suck.)

I adore Larry Wilmore and remember seeing him do a monologue in front of a microphone a few years ago (was it a Nerd Prom*?  Mighta been) and he was absolutely hilarious.  (Funnier, even, than he usually is on TDS, imo.)

*Nerd Prom is Oliver's term for that black tie dinner here in DC that the media go to for a night of self-aggrandizement.  

ETA:  Yea, Julia, thanks for the assist!  

Edited by Captanne
Bet JO is kicking himself right about now.

Based on Sunday's episode, I think John is having fun with the freedom given him by HBO. Comedy Central's never gonna allow a close-up of flaccid old man penis on air, for better or for worse.

In an ideal world, W. Kamau Bell would be asked to join the Wilmore Report team.

• Love 1
(edited)

No need to discuss. Just YAY!

And TDS needs to keep Jessica Williams, but also have other non-white correspondents. Her "Purim Rant" in the spring of 2013 was one of the funniest bits I've ever seen on the show.

Again, Yay, Larry!

Catherinewriter, I heartily second that opinion and am glad to know I'm not the only one who recalls that bit with a real fondness. In fact, to me, Jessica Williams is now and will forever be the true Queen of  Purim.

Edited by A Boston Gal
(edited)

Here is some more information about The Minority Report. Since it doesn't have a forum yet, I thought I'd post it here.

From Fast Company:

The Minority Report setup will be similar to The Daily Show and Colbert Report, but with a twist: For parts of the show Wilmore will be joined by a panel of co-hosts, presumably along the lines of The View or Real Time With Bill Maher. “The general concept is Larry will be the anchor of the show and the first act will likely be Larry's take on the news of the day or cultural hot topics of the moment,” says [Comedy Central president Michele] Ganeless. “Then [there will be] a panel. The panel will be the second act, we'll likely have a guest interacting with the panel in the third act.”

The idea is for the group to reflect a range of points of view. “It’s not being done right now in late night--a panel of diverse voices, a panel of underrepresented voices,” says Ganeless. “This is the African American point of view, the female point of view, the Latino point of view, on all issues of the day. It's holistic--it's not just about looking at a black point of view and black issues. It's giving these underrepresented voices an opportunity to be heard on all issues. That array of voices will be a big part of the show.”

Edited by Fremde Frau

Well, God forbid a show should just represent a black point of view and black issues!

But it will probably be great, despite the panicky-sounding disclaimer. I'm hopeful that Wilmore wouldn't sign on if it wasn't going to be good.

Well, God forbid a show should just represent a black point of view and black issues!

But it will probably be great, despite the panicky-sounding disclaimer. I'm hopeful that Wilmore wouldn't sign on if it wasn't going to be good.

Can you totally blame them after Kamau Bell didn't grab good ratings? So they're trying to spread out the appeal a bit to grab a larger demographic--while still staying within the theme of minority points of view.  It's a smart strategy.

Of course "panel show" is hardly an innovation overall, but there's no reason this can't be great.

Can you totally blame them after Kamau Bell didn't grab good ratings? So they're trying to spread out the appeal a bit to grab a larger demographic--while still staying within the theme of minority points of view.  It's a smart strategy.

Honestly, this doesn't sound much different from Totally Biased. Bell was the host but the show included the PoV of different underrepresented groups. It even dealt with intersectionality. I'm hoping the template is based on Totally Biased, I haven't heard anything to discourage that. The panel is a change but not a major one.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the panel idea, even if it's not a huge innovation. There seems to be a limitless potential for panelists and guests.

Here is an opinion piece on Larry's show and an interview with NPR, which includes this bit below:

Since CBS has moved to cancel Arsenio Hall's syndicated show, when Wilmore takes the stage next year, he'll probably be the only host telling jokes in late night who isn't white. So the implications are obvious. If Larry Wilmore doesn't succeed, late night may always be destined for domination by smart-alecky white guys.

And that's no pressure at all.

For reference, here are some links about the cancellation of Hall's show: DeadlineTV Guide, TechnologyTell (including a comment about TMR), and one hopeful write-up including a couple of Hall's tweets.

Edited by Fremde Frau

I dunno.  The problem for me with that kind of analysis is that while it's factually correct (about representation), it hinges on the idea that an almost 60 year old man was ever a fitting or likely to succeed representative.  Arsenio didn't really successfully represent much other than nostalgia, to be frank.

It's weird how articles that list the few late night shows that had people of color hosts, without fail neglect to mention The Wanda Sykes Show.

I do agree that it may be a tactical/marketing error to name the show "The Minority Report" instead of "The Wilmore Report". Tagging it the way they did, they are going to appeal to "minorities" or straight whites who think they're particularly interested in "minorities". Just naming it after Wilmore will attract those people but also more apathetic whites who "just want it to be funny" and think the moment you identify "minority" it becomes a "special niche" and maybe "too PC" (and not funny). I know that's cynical, but I've become a cynic.