Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Ease on Down the Road

WHY IS THIS SHOW SO GOOD?!  It started and the next thing I know 40 mins had passed!

Man, Q is super terrifying!  He is not someone to fuck with.  Poor Jason.  He really was just in the wrong place in the wrong moment; what a terrible way to die.  That's it.  All of this life changing shit b/c of that cosmic timing.  Shit, man.  

I loved the play!  Papa and Kevin have my heart, and seeing Jake appreciate being a kid just a moment longer and Kev's fam being so proud, made my heart happy.  Kevin is genuinely a sweet boy; he didn't want to continue to be hurtful to Myiesha and he didn't want to be quiet to Jake about Jake's shit life  I don't remember many boys who tried to be caring and kind when I was that age.  Alex Hibbert continues to wow me with his level of work; I just love him b/c he exists.  

Emmeitt and Lil EJ are sweet; you can tell he has grown up a bit.  Tiffany and her man are fucked up, and that is some terrible shit for that little boy.  I don't think E has a chance, but I hope he figures something out.

I have warmed up to Brandon's mom so much.  Her sitting in Coogie's room in silence was very affecting.  

Brandon can't catch a break!  He doesn't get the money from the house, and now his dream is going to be used by Reg's awful ass for drugs.  

Oh, Ronnie.  That was a sad, lonely, terrifying journey to Cook County.  Sigh.  There is no happy ending here. 

• Love 4
(edited)

One of my favorite things about this entire season has been Poppa's undisguised enthusiasm about being part of the musical. Some kids would try to hide how much they like it but not Poppa. He seems to be that way about everything though. The unabashed way he threw a hug around Jake after giving him the cross he whittled was so sweet.

I hope Jake finds his way, but with people like Reg and Q in his life now, I don't know if that's possible. When Jake disobeyed and followed Reggie into the building and then Reg said exasperatedly, "I KNEW I shouldn't have brought you!" I thought, yes, that's exactly right. You shouldn't have brought your 12 year old little brother to drop off a guy you beat and kidnapped so he can be murdered. I hoped that seeing the play would remind Jake what he was missing out on - having fun with his peers, goofing around, and just being a kid. But then I remembered that most kids want to think they're older/more mature than they really are so wanting to follow in his brother's footsteps makes sense, especially since he seems to have no other adult figures/role models in his life.

That's one of the reasons I like Kevin. For the most part, he and Poppa are still doing very age appropriate things like trying to awkwardly talk to girls. And that's what made me so mad when Ronnie told the cops that Kevin saw him shoot Coogie. If you're going to confess, fine. But leave everyone else out of it. FFS!

Poor Brandon - he was trying to be a (mostly) upstanding guy (fake food truck license aside) and now he's going to get sucked into Reg's bullshit. I really felt for the entire family this episode. They were so happy, joking about the Quaking Grass color, all ready to sign the paperwork, and seeming to finally begin to move on from Coogie's death when they got the call about Ronnie. As much as I love having Sonja Sohn on the show, I was ready for Laverne to move to Florida and begin healing from losing Coogie.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

Papa and his costume walking down the street.  LOVE.

My heart hurt for Jake not being able to participate in the play.  Kevin and Papa really want to save their friend from That Life and they're completely helpless.  

It was so jarring having Trice & Wallace offed and Ronnie locked up all in one ep.  

This HAS to come back for another season.

• Love 2

I feel empathy for Ronnie. I can't say bad because  he killed a kid, but those scenes showed that Ronnie was not necessarily a thug but a slacker. He is not cut out for prison life or the circles that Reg and Q swirl in. 

• Love 1

One of my favorite shows. You can tell that they have writers from Chicago, Audy home, neutron... Ah, childhood. 

I too love Papa. I feel so bad for Jake, while I haven't seen this scenario play out directly, I have heard too many first hand accounts. Reg should be more responsible. 

• Love 2

The irony is I think Reg is being responsible. Inasmuch as he knows how.

His advice to the boys about women was horrible, but he wasn't necessarily wrong about how to handle bullies.

From what's been shown, he's essentially parenting Jake alone, and he's doing the best he can within the circumstances they've been dealt.

A lot of the reason why Jake is in his current situation, is because he's hardheaded. He assumes Reg's life is a game, despite knowing better, so he abandons his childhood, in a rush to be a 'grown-up.'

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this finale. 

When Kevin, Papa and Andrea were all up on stage and the audience was cheering them (including Reg!), I teared up a bit.

Just as he's getting his taco truck business of the ground, Brandon's gonna get caught up with, Reg. *sigh*

Oh, Ronnie.  That was a sad, lonely, terrifying journey to Cook County.  Sigh.  There is no happy ending here. 

It sure was. I felt sad for him.

I'm not sure Emmett will succeed in his custody pursuit, but I'm rooting for him.

The path Jake is on now makes me sad, but I thought it was sweet when Reg asked him what he wanted to do, and he decided he wanted to go see Kevin and Papa in the play. 

The irony is I think Reg is being responsible. Inasmuch as he knows how.

This is what I see as well. Reg is trying, in his way, to be a good big brother/parent.

So glad this is coming back for a second season.

• Love 5

I got all the feels watching this episode—joy, sadness, anger. Papa is my favorite character, followed by Kevin. 

I want so badly for Brandon and his family to get a win. I mean, dang, he is now caught up in a mess with Reg. 

I keep thinking how stupid Jake is for following his big brother, but what other example does he have?  Unfortunately, he will probably end up dead. Reg thinks he’s the “big man” now, but will end up answering to Q.  He’s just as stupid as his little brother. 

Why did Ronnie have to put Kevin’s name in this mess? It was basically his confession. No one was going to deny it.  I wonder what this will mean for Kevin. Will Brandon get caught up in it too? 

• Love 2
On 3/19/2018 at 1:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

They were so happy, joking about the Quaking Grass color, all ready to sign the paperwork, and seeming to finally begin to move on from Coogie's death when they got the call about Ronnie. As much as I love having Sonja Sohn on the show, I was ready for Laverne to move to Florida and begin healing from losing Coogie.

Maybe I don't understand very well how the wheels of justice turn, but didn't Laverne say she had to stick around for the trial?  If Ronnie confessed, why would there be a trial? 

• Love 1

@kicotan, that and there were a few other things that I have since forgotten that did not make much sense to me where I felt made no sense.

Oh, Jake dropping out of school at 12/13. In Chicago the age is 16 to be able to drop out. Although CPS and DCFS are not effective systems there, you better believe someone will be looking at Reg for truancy of a minor even if it is to cover their butts to say that they did it. Maybe that is to come next season.

All-in-all, I like the show a lot but feel many things are done merely for dramatic purposes.

• Love 2

I DIED when Kevin went up to Papa to put in a good word and he was like "NOPE" and literally ran away. I fell out. All the play & cast party scenes were gold. It was so cute to see kids being kids.

So are we to think that Emmett's baby's mother is equally abusive to her boyfriend?

• Love 1
On 3/20/2018 at 8:21 AM, Enigma X said:

@kicotan, that and there were a few other things that I have since forgotten that did not make much sense to me where I felt made no sense.

Oh, Jake dropping out of school at 12/13. In Chicago the age is 16 to be able to drop out. Although CPS and DCFS are not effective systems there, you better believe someone will be looking at Reg for truancy of a minor even if it is to cover their butts to say that they did it. Maybe that is to come next season.

All-in-all, I like the show a lot but feel many things are done merely for dramatic purposes.

For dramatic purposes of the opposite kind...

It is unlikely that ALL of the kids would be such poor dancers. But, in their defense, they may have been dancing with no music as is often done in films. But still, if I was producer or director, I would say, "no way, give them some music! They look so lame!".

They filmed the scene with l don't want to go to Audy across the street from Audy! It is the Juvenile Detention Center but all chicago kids call it Audy. The cops are the weakest part of the show.

Edited by Miss chi chi
  • Love 1

I really hope this show comes back for another season. I thought the first half was good, but in a technical way (like, I know in my head that this is well written and acted and shot and such, but my heart was like meh) but the second season was much more personal and interesting to me. I think the characters became more fleshed out, and I enjoyed seeing their struggles and successes. 

Plus, it reminded me of how much I like The Wiz. The kids might not be Broadway level, but they're enthusiasm is adorable. I've had Ease on Down the Road stuck in my head for like 24 hours straight, and I dont even care.