Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

I'm wondering the same thing . . . or are they running it for the new owners or something? 

Anyway, I really liked it. I thought it was cute and I liked all of the main characters -- especially the little boy. And the relationship between the kid and the uncle is nice. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I don't understand, though... did they sell the gym?

I just presumed he backed out of the sale....  

I liked it.  I agree Michael is a bit OTT and quite a bit a stereotype.  

I like the guys but I'm hoping the brother isn't TOO stupid.  He seemed to be walking the line. When they were first showing the 2 guys I thought they were together - not brothers.

• Love 8

I will give it one more chance.  I am not warm and fuzzy about any of these people yet.  Is the current Indian GF going to be a regular?  I don't know if I can not like the lead guy AND his GF and still watch the show.  I don't think Mindy will be on as a regular, so there goes the one likable person I could stick around for!  The goofy brother is OK.  He reminds me of a sweet golden retriever.  The kid...he may be very talented, but I was exhausted after 10 mins of his "ON!!!" personality.  Shades of Kurt from Glee...started out as an amazing character, a wonderful actor, good writing...but then it got to be too much Kurt drah-ma (honestly, I lost interest in the entire Glee cast and stories after 3 seasons).  I know this is a comedy, and we must have some weird, farce ensue to get the characters together, but this is reeeally stretching it.  A single mom from OH drives her son to an exclusive performing arts school in NY when a hiccup (naturally) occurs.  The only one she knows in NY is her baby daddy who she hasn't seen, mentioned, or contacted in 15 years? And she leaves her one and only child with the guy??? A bit far fetched, no?  

• Love 5

I liked it. The 3 main actors were pretty likable and it has Fortune Fiemster and she is hilarious. Hopefully they'll even Michael out a little as the show finds it's footing. I'll keep watching a bit longer at least. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

When they were first showing the 2 guys I thought they were together - not brothers.

I thought the same thing.

I am not sure yet if I like this show, but it had a few moments I liked, so I'll wait and see how it develops.

I thought the turnaround from "leaving town and selling the business without telling anyone and also I have no interest in this kid whatsoever" to "pretty decent parenting on the fly" and "I guess I'm staying after all and no I don't accept the perfectly good offer of school-sponsored housing for the kid" was a little fast. Not that I wanted to see him be a cowardl, deadbeat manchild, but if they weren't going that way, why establish that as his character in that direction to start with?

LOVED the "no tv during dinner and yes, we cook and are not savages" scene despite the whiplash it gave me.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Well, it's a pilot so I'll give it a chance. I think Michael may be a little exhausting and such a gay stereotype but the actor is quite talented.  Like I said, I'll give it a chance.

14 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I just presumed he backed out of the sale....  

I liked it.  I agree Michael is a bit OTT and quite a bit a stereotype.  

I like the guys but I'm hoping the brother isn't TOO stupid.  He seemed to be walking the line. When they were first showing the 2 guys I thought they were together - not brothers.

I was underimpressed when I saw the extended trailer -- I have no interest in watching the adventures of "I was a Gay Teenage Drama Queen" -- but on "Will & Grace" last week, there was a hot waiter, and when I looked him up, I saw he was in this show, so I decided to give it another chance. 

Still unimpressed. I hate gay stereotypes, and this kid is all of them. Plus, he has manicured eyebrows; I hate that on men. 

• Love 3

I thought it was light and funny. I laughed out loud a few times. I've seen both brothers on tv recently (Ghosted and Will & Grace) and they were likable. I'm in for this.

The kid's voice and personality grated on me too much. Even when he stops acting his presence lingered with me like a bad rash. Reminded me of the kid from 'Ugly Betty', but there was something to that character and it worked in that world.

The main character, the dad, is very basic to the point I think the actor doesn't know which way to play his role. He's not convincing enough to play the doucebag or irresponsible one, maybe the clueless one...which makes his paring with his brother, a dummie, a bit much to take in terms of idiocy.

The girlfriend was a bright spark, and the brother had his moments. Seeing the brother and the boy bond going forward will be interesting. Not at all interested in the kid and his father, nor if the kid achieves his aims of stardom.

• Love 2

Do the brothers have a miraculously available 3rd bedroom? (Especially since Fortune Feimster  said she was going to sleep in the dad's bed;  maybe she'll finally move out of the apartment she shares with Matt and Colleen on Life in Pieces!)

Speaking of apartments, if she needs to shower and sleep in the brother's apartment, how is she any different from the homeless who it wasn't her turn to foist from the gym?

I thought there  would be a scene where the somewhat dim uncle realized that he was gay, too.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Is Priya the only female Indian name American TV writers know?  Is it like Emma or Olivia these days for American characters or Claire for English characters?

It started with Raj's sister in Big Bang Theory, but just in the last two weeks there's been:

The human rights lawyer Jackson was dating for like in a minute on Grey's Anatomy...

One of the student doctors on The Resident...

Mindy's character's name on this show...

And those are just the one's I've seen.  I can't even think of a female Indian character on (American) TV right now who isn't named Priya, except for Michael's father's (ex)girlfriend on this show who was named Brittany (he obviously has a type, but I guess them both being a Priya would be a bit too much), and Alex on Quantico if it comes back.

I don't know if I'm going to even give this show my customary 3 episode trial.  I'll try, but that kid is very "on", and the brother is too dumb.  I hope it's all toned down or I'll be out.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Do the brothers have a miraculously available 3rd bedroom? (Especially since Fortune Feimster  said she was going to sleep in the dad's bed;  maybe she'll finally move out of the apartment she shares with Matt and Colleen on Life in Pieces!)

I don't like her. She plays the same type character in everything I've ever seen her in. 

20 hours ago, Nessie said:

Is Priya the only female Indian name American TV writers know?  Is it like Emma or Olivia these days for American characters or Claire for English characters?

It started with Raj's sister in Big Bang Theory, but just in the last two weeks there's been:

The human rights lawyer Jackson was dating for like in a minute on Grey's Anatomy...

And those are just the one's I've seen.  I can't even think of a female Indian character on (American) TV right now who isn't named Priya, except for Michael's father's (ex)girlfriend on this show who was named Brittany (he obviously has a type, but I guess them both being a Priya would be a bit too much), and Alex on Quantico if it comes back.

I don't know if I'm going to even give this show my customary 3 episode trial.  I'll try, but that kid is very "on", and the brother is too dumb.  I hope it's all toned down or I'll be out.

The Good Place has Vicki (Tiya Sircar) who will be co-starring in a new show called  Alex, Inc. where her name is Noush. She was Claire in The Mindy Project, and in Master of None she was...Priya!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Nessie said:

Vera Mindy Chokalingam (born June 24, 1979), known professionally as Mindy Kaling, is an American actress, comedian and writer... Kaling's parents are from India, and met while working at the same hospital in Nigeria. 

As Mindy Kaling is the co-creator, writer, and producer of this show and is of Indian heritage, presumably she knows of names besides Pryia but still chose the name for her character.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

The Good Place has Vicki (Tiya Sircar) who will be co-starring in a new show called  Alex, Inc. where her name is Noush. She was Claire in The Mindy Project, and in Master of None she was...Priya!

Thanks.  I only watched The Mindy Project sporadically.  Did she have an English accent (which goes to my point about English characters being named Claire/Clare, although I realize a lot of Indian people have English-sounding accents, so it doesn't really prove it at all)?

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Fwiw, there's a character named Jiya on Timeless, played by Claudia Doumit.

And thank you, too!  I knew if I was wrong, I would be corrected pretty quickly. :-)  It's been so long since I've seen Timeless, I've forgotten pretty much everything about it, including all of the characters names - at least, until I watch last night's episode sitting on my DVR.

And to bring this back to Champions:

3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

As Mindy Kaling is the co-creator, writer, and producer of this show and is of Indian heritage, presumably she knows of names besides Pryia but still chose the name for her character.

I'm not really sure if you are trying to prove or disprove my point...

BTW, this is all just tongue-in-cheek musings on my part, not meant to be taken seriously at all.  Just something I noticed about character names.

On 3/12/2018 at 12:31 AM, Nessie said:

Off the top of my head in addition to the ones others have mentioned, there's also Cece on New Girl. Mira on Homeland. One of the main students featured on AP Bio is named Sarika. And don't forget shows that have ended like Amita on Numb3rs, Divya on Royal Pains, and Kareema on last season's No Tomorrow. I've seen conflicting information on Archie Panjabi's ethnicity reading both Indian and Pakistani at different times, but there's her previous character of Kalinda on The Good Wife and her current character of Nas on Blindspot to consider as well. I've lost count of how many shows Indira Varma has been on, but I can't ever recall her character's being named Priya. Plenty of examples of current and recent Indian characters not named Priya on TV, think you just hit a bad run that made it seem otherwise.

I'm honestly just thrilled there's a non-Mindy related brown person on the show. The Mindy Project was sorely lacking on that front even though it was set in NYC. This pilot makes me think they won't be repeating that, thank goodness.

Edited by JasmineFlower
18 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Off the top of my head in addition to the ones others have mentioned, there's also Cece on New Girl. Mira on Homeland. One of the main students featured on AP Bio is named Sarika. And don't forget shows that have ended like Amita on Numb3rs, Divya on Royal Pains, and Kareema on last season's No Tomorrow. I've seen conflicting information on Archie Panjabi's ethnicity reading both Indian and Pakistani at different times, but there's her previous character of Kalinda on The Good Wife and her current character of Nas on Blindspot to consider as well. I've lost count of how many shows Indira Varma has been on, but I can't ever recall her character's being named Priya. Plenty of examples of current and recent Indian characters not named Priya on TV, think you just hit a bad run that made it seem otherwise.

Thanks for all of these examples, but in my defense, I didn't watch a single one of these shows except AP Bio, and yes, I did forget about Sarika.  I did also specifically say "on TV right now", and half your examples are not, so saying not to forget them is contradictory to my point.  I was commenting on something I had noticed in the past few weeks specifically and gave examples, not on Indian names on TV in general.  I'm sorry if my wording made it seem otherwise.

19 hours ago, Nessie said:

Thanks for all of these examples, but in my defense, I didn't watch a single one of these shows except AP Bio, and yes, I did forget about Sarika.  I did also specifically say "on TV right now", and half your examples are not, so saying not to forget them is contradictory to my point.  I was commenting on something I had noticed in the past few weeks specifically and gave examples, not on Indian names on TV in general.  I'm sorry if my wording made it seem otherwise.

That's fine, but I gave five examples from current shows if you want to nitpick, that's more examples than you complained about. Perfectly reasonable that you don't watch most of these shows and yes, I know you said right now. Just saying I don't see using the name of Priya as a trend and was pointing out other well known examples from previous shows to further say, I don't see this as a trend past or present. I'm open to the criticism in general and could see it happening, just disagree with this being a thing. I don't watch all the shows I mentioned, FYI, but I'm aware enough of many other shows to know the casts so I'm sure there are other examples that would match the example of Jackson's short term girlfriend that might further show the trends in names.

TV overuses a ton of names.   Jack springs to mind.  Alex.  Kate.  Some names are just more associated with strong, beautiful people.  

I wonder if part of the current popularity of Priya is from Priyanka Chopra’s popularity. Shes in People a lot.  

On 3/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, joanne3482 said:

Finally saw the pilot and that was my first thought about the brothers till the husband showed up. And even then I thought the brother who slept with the wife might have been bi. Too early to decide if it'll be must-watch-tv for me but for now at times it seems to be veering awfully close to being Jack McFarland: The Early Years.

• Love 3