Type keyword(s) to search

Season finale!

Heartbroken by an unexpected tragedy, Damon is focused on holding himself together, while pushing Bonnie harder than ever to find a way to stop the disintegration of the Other Side. Elena takes matters into her own hands and demands that Liv and Luke help her, but Liv refuses to cooperate until Caroline provides her with some personal motivation. Sheriff Forbes is horrified when Markos uses violence against Tyler/Julian to prove that Mystic Falls is now under the control of the Travelers. With new information from Sheriff Forbes, Damon comes up with a dangerous plan that relies on split-second timing from Jeremy and Matt. Liv’s off-hand remark regarding Stefan gets a surprisingly emotional response from Caroline. As conditions on the Other Side worsen, Bonnie takes the opportunity to settle an old score. Finally, Damon’s plan causes a massive explosion in Mystic Falls, and everyone is caught up in the confusion, leaving a trail of heroism, sacrifice, relief and despair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt27ZcmYA2o

(edited)

So that happened…yeah. So is Alaric back on the show - interesting. I guess Plec and company threw a bone for the Bonnie/Damon shippers with that ending. Speaking of shippers, wow sucks for those still holding on for Stefan/Elena (of which I am not). Could Elena have looked less like she gave a shit that Stefan was dead? Meanwhile her and Damon's farewell was the longest, most boring thing ever. Not to mention I felt like Nina was phoning it in in that scene.

If I compare the scene to Elena's reacting to Jeremy's death, there's no comparison in my opinion. Elena broke my heart in that scene and her pain was palpable. Tonight she just looked like she was making funny faces. Of course reading that interview Paul and Nina gave today, she probably couldn't muster up much emotion knowing that Damon will be brought to life next season since no one stays dead anymore. Well poor Bonnie might have finally kicked the bucket. 

Two moments on the show amused me, Stefan "accidentally" coming back to life by helping Bonnie up and being all, "no, wait I was just helping her up, I didn't mean to come back…" and Lexie kicking Marcos' ass. The backhand above her head when he grabbed her shoulder was hilarious. Other than that, this just dragged like much of this season. I also couldn't fault Luke and Liv. Why should the guy make his sister kill herself for those tools they barely know. They have Bonnie for that. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I cheered last week when Stefan's heart got ripped out.  I had hopes for a show without him.  Now this week they reversed it and Damon is dead?  I thought Paul Walker and Nina Dobrev were both terrible tonight.

I had read an interview that stated that Ian Somerhalder wanted out. Something about if they were not going to keep the Enzo character then he was done. Certainly seems like he got his wish.

This was an interesting finale, and I am curious where they are going - loved Alaric, so if he's coming back, I'm thrilled. I also found it interesting that we didn't actually see Lexie get dragged off - or was that just the way it played on my cable? I feel like there's a set up here for the ones who didn't go through Bonnie, but maybe are sitting in a purgatory of sorts off to the side. For instance, we didn't hear anything about Katherine tonight, did we? Maybe she's in the waiting room along with the other potential returnees ...

I thought Paul Walker and Nina Dobrev were both terrible tonight.

I think you mean Paul Wesley?

I had read an interview that stated that Ian Somerhalder wanted out.

That's a shame because I probably won't watch the show without him.   I started typing Paul W and wrote Walker instead of Wesley.  Oops!

• Love 2

I really like the episode overall. I think what Grams said to Bonnie is going to be loophole next season. I think Grams will do something that saves Bonnie and b/c she and Damon are holding hands it will save them both. Now where they are may be another story. I suspect the first of next season may be dealing with that.

I will miss the MF sets mostly the Salvatore home since I guess they can't go back to town still.

I love Damon but don't mind how this all turned out, but I may be in denial so it will be hard to keep watching if he really is gone or only makes cameos.

I will say I truely thought it was low to have Lexi actually not cross back so she could leave a place for Damon, really writers? Damon Killed her.

As a Delena fan I thought all the Delena stuff was well done. I was happy. I thought Elena acted properly in the tomb when Damon said goodbye. She seemed in shock like somehow he'd just come back, whereas with Jeremy she knew she'd NEVER see him again.

Tyler isn't a hybrid anymore, wonder where they are going with that. eekk it means he has to turn every full moon again.

I love Alaric, but really I love DAMON and Alaric, so I'm not as stoked as I'd hope to be at him being back, b/c now Damon is gone. boo! Plus Alaric is a vampire now, not so sure I like that either.

I think Lexi found her peace and crossed over, that whole business of why she was still there b/c she still had a job to do, I think kicking Markos to nothingness was that something.

So let's see mopy depressed Elena/Jermey and Stefan dating Caroline....ummm next season doesn't look too appealing.

• Love 1

Doesn't matter. Judging by the ratings for the last few episodes, no one's watching anyway. Not to mention I doubt anyone really believes Damon will stay gone just as no one believed Stefan was dead in the last episode. 

Not sorry but I'm not looking forward to Steroline next season. The supposed "former" love of her life comes back from the dead and he gets a "oh hey there bud great seeing you!" Hug and barely a reaction to him not being a hybrid anymore, meaning he'll have to have the pain of turning every month. Guess he's not as important as stupid Stefan.

Damon is so coming back so I'm not even that sad at his "death." I have a feeling were going to see where he and Bonnie ended up which will be cool. I want to know what Grams meant to Bonnie about looking out for her.

Rick is back though!! I'm glad someone will be there to look out for jeremy. Could care less what he does with Elena.

Could care less about Stefan and his man pain. Lexi had a point until she started pimping Steroline out of no where. Why the hell did he stay after getting rescued and having it clear to him that Elena wanted Damon? Yeah whatever.

• Love 2

When Luke says "Liv, you keep doing the spell and it will kill you!" my thoughts were "you're a witch, why don't you just take over the spell for a while?"

Of course Alaric had to come back and not Damon, I knew it the moment I saw Alaric. Of course they also had to have everybody stand around slowly going though the gateway one at a time while wasting time yakking to each other in order for that to happen. This episode was predictable and overly dramatic, but at least it perked my curiosity has to how they're going to bring Damon and Bonnie back next season, or at least Damon.

• Love 2

No, I'm not a 14 year old teeny bopper but I am really upset about Damon being dead.  I'm still weepy about it over an hour later.

All I could focus on was please bring Alaric back, please bring Alaric back and then they killed Damon.  Without Damon, Alaric being back is pointless, IMO.  And Enzo too!

UGH.  I should not be allowed to post on any grown up sites until I can behave in a manner somewhat closer to my old age.  Can anyone point me to the teenybopper sites so I can cry in emoticons for awhile?

• Love 8
(edited)
Not sorry but I'm not looking forward to Steroline next season. The supposed "former" love of her life comes back from the dead and he gets a "oh hey there bud great seeing you!" Hug and barely a reaction to him not being a hybrid anymore, meaning he'll have to have the pain of turning every month. Guess he's not as important as stupid Stefan.

One can say the same about Elena. Like I said, girl barely batted an eye over Stefan being dead. Yes she's all madly, super in love with his brother now but this was someone she once claimed to love so much and his death didn't seem to mean shit to her and it's not like I care since I hate Elena and do not want her and Stefan back together but this just shows how shitty the writing on this show is.

As for Steroline, my feeling on it is this. I would gladly take the lame ass writers bringing in someone awesome and new for Stefan but they're clearly not going to do that. On top of that, it's like how much clearer can they make it that Elena is all about Damon now and as noted, barely gives a shit about Stefan. And so if that is the case, I for one have no desire to keep seeing Stefan practically be a eunuch. What is the damn point?

Plec and company keep doing the absolute most to drum this Elena/Damon forever and meanwhile Stefan gets to have no life and never move on...ever? The hell? So while I know they'll make a mess of Stefan/Caroline because Mary Sue Elena of the magical vagina always needs to be the most important girl in everyone's life, I will accept whatever small moments of Stefan moving on that they will give. Because again it's just getting ridiculous to keep having the writers drill home how much Damon and Elena love each other, how they are almost addicted to each other because their love and passion is so overwhelming and there's Stefan, sexless and relationship-less. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I wish Stefan had stayed dead ugh.

I don't care about Damon dying cause I can't stand him and this show is so repetitive and predictable that of course he's coming back next season so why should I care that he's going to be gone for a few months. He'll be back next season to have more boring conversations with Elena.

So Lexie is gone forever, okay I'm good with that.

Stefan and Caroline is ugh I love their friendship so I'm not to happy with them going into an intimate relationship, I wish Stefan would get someone knew who is not connected to anybody in the Mystic Falls gang all the relationships are so boring and incestuous.

Bonnie is another one who should stay dead they do nothing for her character.

And again I wish Stefan had stayed dead and went with Lexie, I'm done with this show I'm surprised they got another season.

I thought that was excellent! I couldn't give a shit about Damon and Elena together, so their scenes were eye-roll-inducing for me, but I loved everything else. I love that Bonnie and Damon are stuck somewhere together, because as Ian just said in an interview, they put the kibosh on their scenes together way back in S2 because they didn't want to go that route and he and Kat have good chemistry, so they just stopped putting them together. It's a disservice to Kat, because she's always been backgrounded since she had no meaningful connection to the Salvatores. Anyway, Damon is way more interesting to me away from Elena, so I'll be glad for a break from that.

I would trade 1000 Damons for one Alaric though, so I'm thrilled to have him back. And are all the previously vamped characters now human again, or was it only Tyler that was de-hybridized because he went through the Travelers' spell?

• Love 1

UGH.  I should not be allowed to post on any grown up sites until I can behave in a manner somewhat closer to my old age.  Can anyone point me to the teenybopper sites so I can cry in emoticons for awhile?

I'm with you on this.  CW shows are a vice for me.  I dont even know why I watch them.  I'm so not the demographic they are targeting, but I just can't turn away.  I definitely choked up and got teary-eyed.  There were so many feels in this episode.  So happy Alaric is back, huge surprise for me. I know Damon and Bonnie will be back due to the Gram's thing, but still.  Ugh, I need to follow you to that teenybopper site so I can cry...anonymously.  

• Love 5

Bleeeeeehhhh! This episode gave me the cramps. I really like all the characters on the show, except for Damon and Elena (although I did like them at the beginning of the show, separately), but the way the writers are handling them makes me very disinterested. Anyone in Elena's vicinity instantly becomes a huge bore, death means nothing so how can you get even a little sad?! My feels have atrophied!

I'm not interested in Steroline in the least. For one, even during this season Stephan was still barely staying away from Elena/Kat and, secondly, people should take their amorous adventures outside their friend/family circle. It's getting very eecky.

Writers, how about a little less epicness and a little more character development and simpler, but more meaningful story lines with fewer loopholes. Did all your creativity get sucked into the other world and disappeared into whatever is swallowing its residents? You've cooked up a good formula for the Originals: good old family feud and turf wars. Here it's like, how can we top ending the whole world as we know it? Which inevitably results in plots so contrived they become laughable. And when are you going to realize that killing pretty much all your main characters just to bring them back is so stale nobody cares!!

• Love 1

Best parts of this whole mess - Carolina getting back to her sorely missed bad ass self and snapping witch brother's neck, and Bonnie pulling the "Psych!" move on Silas.

• Love 2
(edited)

So let me see if I have it all straight: dead supernaturals like Stefan just had to find Bonnie and then touch her to cross over and be alive again. But Elena and Damon had to do it twice? Okay, I just realized as I was typing my question that the first time was when they crossover to the other side because they had died and the second time was to come back. While I was watching the episode, I was like damn it, how many times do Damon and Elena have to touch Bonnie to come back?!

I didn't understand why Damon was so far behind Elena that he didn't make it back in time. Bonnie told them that they would show up near their bodies so when Elena showed up at the Mystic Grille, she had to know that Damon's body couldn't have been thrown too far from the car. She didn't bother looking around because Alaric told her to go and she's so obedient now? I mean, how long would it have taken to do a lap around the inside of the restaurant and then another one outside the building? Alaric just walked in the back room and helped Damon get whatever fell on Liz so that must have taken all of two minutes? Yet Stefan, Elena, and everyone else was shown waiting for Damon, talking about how they were waiting for Damon, Bonnie telling them to hurry up.

So how did hugging Caroline feel different when he was a hybrid that he knew something felt different this time? So does this mean Tyler is back to his default setting because he went backwards through being a hybrid and a werewolf before dying of a snapped neck? Does this mean he's just human now and he won't be a werewolf unless he kills someone? Shouldn't Elena have lost her vamp-ness before she started choking up water from being drowned? But since she did get to the drowning, does that mean she is no longer a vamp anymore? I'm assuming that since Luke, Enzo, Stefan, and Alaric didn't go through the no magic zone, they are still witches and vampires as they were before they died.

While I understand Luke not wanting Liv to die, especially since they had no idea of knowing if everyone had crossed over or not (for all they knew, everyone was back and she was chanting and bleeding for no reason), but he couldn't have chanted for a couple of minutes and let her rest? Nope, the only solution is to shut down the spell completely. Okay then!

Hahahaha, I loved that when Elena kept saying she wasn't going to go through without Damon, Bonnie just grabbed her. I was fine with Bonnie not "respecting her choice" and just sending her through.

I also found it interesting that we didn't actually see Lexie get dragged off - or was that just the way it played on my cable? I feel like there's a set up here for the ones who didn't go through Bonnie, but maybe are sitting in a purgatory of sorts off to the side.

Lexie didn't get dragged off because after she got rid of Markos, she was at peace so she was no longer on the other side. I really like Lexie, but I'm fine with her being gone because she was a tertiary guest star and they don't need to add more people to this already large cast. I mean, if Bonnie, Matt, and Jeremy are barely getting anything to do as it is, I don't want them relegated to the background even more to bring back Lexie. Heh, and I especially don't want Lexie coming back if she's going to be the Steroline cheerleader. Ugh. I don't understand the need to pair Stefan and Caroline up. Why can't they just be BFFs the way he was with Lexie? It drives me crazy when shows insist on pairing up everyone of the opposite sex. Just let them be friends. See also: Veronica Mars and Wallace Fennel.

CW shows are a vice for me.  I dont even know why I watch them.  I'm so not the demographic they are targeting, but I just can't turn away.

I'm definitely outside of the CW's target teenybopper demographic but I still watch them. I never had any shame about watching TVD because it was so awesome in the first two seasons. Now I find myself shame watching this show. Get it together, writers! Be awesome again!

The episode description said that Damon was focused on trying to hold himself together after Stefan's death, but I didn't see that at all. He was upset when he saw Stefan's body and that was it. I didn't see any struggle to stay focused or anything. He was a man on a mission (granted, a huge part of his motivation was because this mission would get Stefan back) but I didn't see him trying to keep it together at all.

ETA: Okay, my brain is apparently on vacation tonight. When Tyler died in this episode, he was a human so when he came back from the other side, he was once again human (although if he was human, not supernatural, when he died, why did he need to pass through Bonnie and go to the other side? Once a supernatural, always a supernatural?). But Elena and Damon died of the explosion and were apparently still vampires, so when Elena crossed back she was still a vampire. If (come one, WHEN) Damon comes back, he will still be a vampire too. I guess that means when Bonnie comes back, she will still be a witch without magic?

ETA 2: I forgot to mention the absolute BEST thing about this episode: YAY, ALARIC!!! I am so glad he's back! When he showed up behind Elena, I thought she would say, "Alaric, thank goodness you're here! I'm so glad to see you! I have missed you so much! I really need you to get through losing Damon!" But nope. When Tyler said something felt different, I was afraid we were going to get a retread of Buffy's "Did I come back wrong?" thing from S6 of BTVS. Dear show, please don't do that when Damon and Bonnie inevitably come back from the big white light in the sky.

Since Jeremy is the only one who can see dead people, I really hope he makes sure to tell everyone that Bonnie and Damon were holding hands when the great white light took them away.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I just don't understand what is happening on this show anymore although I thought this finale was a little better than last year's. I will refuse to touch on anything Triangle of Doom, I'm so over it.

I call BS on no Kol appearance though, I would have loved for him to have come back from the Other Side, but on a positive note YAY No More Travellers! One of the few other things I liked was Lexi taking Markos on and then smiling at him just before kicking him up into the Great Dyson in the Sky. I really hated the Travellers SL and am hoping it's really over. And Bonnie's "bygones" to Silas was beautiful. And YES Alaric is back!!

And since this show now makes resurrecting the dead on almost daily occurrence I'm sure Damon will be back in episode 1 of next season, as will Bonnie thanks to whatever Grams did.

• Love 2
(edited)

Btw, for those who are completely against the idea of Stefan/Caroline being together, not to worry, with Enzo's being one of the many deaths that did not stick, I predict that's who Plec and company will hook Caroline up with next season. Stefan and Caroline will continue to be teased to throw the poor desperate shippers a bone but not to worry, Stefan will continue to remain relationship-less and sex-less with no actual happiness and joy while he continues to watch his ex-girlfriend go on and on about her immense love for his brother and continue to not give a shit about him.

Because while Damon and Elena need to have their clothes ripping/furniture breaking sex, the writers need Stefan to remain alone because I don't know, they think it services their triangle of suck. Though how one has a triangle when the middle of said triangle acts like she could give a crap about the other guy, I have no idea. Where's the triangle exactly? Where is the "being torn" between two because I damn sure don't see that in Elena. But yet, not to worry, they won't do something as crazy as actually making Stefan have his own life separate from Damon and Elena. So not to worry anti-Steroline shippers, it's not happening. 

Any wonder poor Paul Wesley seems almost pained in many of his interviews. And that's exactly why I'm not coming back next season. Their ratings can continue to fall into the dumps while Plec and Dries deliver their bullshit that they keep trying to spin as gold in their lame interviews. I'll read spoilers and if it proves my assumptions right (which I feel certain it will), yeah I'm not watching. I don't care about Damon and/or Elena and have zero interest in watching another season of their toxic, whiny shitfest that is their relationship.

And I especially have no interest in watching another season of Stefan just wandering around with no life except to either get tortured every couple of episodes to save Damon and/or Elena and/or dole out advice about their shitfest of a relationship. I don't care about Enzo and wished he had stayed dead, Tyler is cool but I know he'll continue to have no purpose and no story as has been the case for how many seasons now, who knows what they'll do with Bonnie. Either her death will stick this time or it won't but they'll still find ways to screw her over as she sacrifices herself yet again for Saint Elena. And speaking of that twat, I predict I will continue to want someone to shove a bag over her face everytime she speaks in every episode and so yeah...what's the point. I'm out. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

So does this mean Tyler is back to his default setting because he went backwards through being a hybrid and a werewolf before dying of a snapped neck? Does this mean he's just human now and he won't be a werewolf unless he kills someone? Shouldn't Elena have lost her vamp-ness before she started choking up water from being drowned? But since she did get to the drowning, does that mean she is no longer a vamp anymore? I'm assuming that since Luke, Enzo, Stefan, and Alaric didn't go through the no magic zone, they are still witches and vampires as they were before they died.

I'm definitely outside of the CW's target teenybopper demographic but I still watch them. I never had any shame about watching TVD because it was so awesome in the first two seasons. Now I find myself shame watching this show. Get it together, writers! Be awesome again!

The episode description said that Damon was focused on trying to hold himself together after Stefan's death, but I didn't see that at all. He was upset when he saw Stefan's body and that was it. I didn't see any struggle to stay focused or anything. He was a man on a mission (granted, a huge part of his motivation was because this mission would get Stefan back) but I didn't see him trying to keep it together at all.

Since Jeremy is the only one who can see dead people, I really hope he makes sure to tell everyone that Bonnie and Damon were holding hands when the great white light took them away.

I fully expect the opening scene next season to be a variation of Elena and Jeremy in a bed littered with ice cream cartons and snack wrappers moping and lamenting that AT LEAST Bonnie and Damon were together at the end holding hands. While Alaric is wearing an apron somewhere baking them cookies.( JK well only just a little.)

I think the Tyler question will be a toss up. If he died when Klaus broke his neck and he reverted to that when Markos killed him then he should still be an activated werewolf, but Markos said something to the affect that now he is just a dead kid with a werewolf gene to Liz so the writers could make him human or werewolf  I think. I really feel Tyler being de-hybrided is for something on TO anyway b/c now it makes Klaus and Hayley the only hybrids.

Since Damon and Elena burned while she was still "alive" she wasn't just human she was still a vampire so that is why she went to the otherside, though as the doppelganger she was supernatural anyway. But she died before she reverted back to being drown so she is still a vampire.

I really thought this episode could have been better done with a two part final. They should have cut that stupid cabin the woods episode and made a double final instead. I think Damon's grief over Stefan could have been better shown with more time. That said compared to everyone else I bought it. IS did a great job with the look on his face when he saw Stefan's body. You could see the struggle to not go all "out of control" Damon. Then he also got the great scene with Bonnie where he distroyed the dorm room and wanted to stab her then calmed down. We got really little reaction from everyone else in comparison.

I'm way outside TVD demographic as well and I have enjoyed most of it except part of season 4 and most of season 5. I did like most of these last few episodes except the cabin in the woods and all things traveler. Now that Tomorrow People is canceled maybe Plec can devote more time to TVD. I have hope for a better season 6.

I was kind of starting to think maybe Luke was brought on as Stefan's new love interest. I mean other than Katherine and Elena who he was doppelspelled to be drawn to Stefan even through history hasn't been very interested in women, except Rebekah a little. I mean Lexie is beauiful and he  never seemed interested in her and the same with Caroline. When Lexie was pushing her he kind of cut her off and never commented. As soon as Markos broke the doppelspell the same thing happened with Elena, it was like they were best girlfriends or something.

I would be totally pissed if I was a Stelena fan b/c the writers really did seem to show as soon as they weren't "spelled" to eachother Elena and Stefan didn't have any love feelings left at all other than friends, and it makes Delena seem all the more "fated" b/c she loved him so much she chose him even despite being "spelled" to Stefan.

Yeah, I don't think the show's position is that Stefan and Elena only fell in love because of a spell. The (really weak) twist was that the Travelers' spell didn't actually bond them together, it just drew doppelgangers to each other. The show's position seems to be that Stefan and Human Elena would have gone the distance, but once she became a vampire,she and Damon were a better fit. I'm bummed that the show has no interest in addressing the ways she is a terrible character, but I don't have any interest in Vampire Elena being with Stefan, so I just want them to keep that Stelena coffin nailed shut.

But to do that, Stefan does deserve to move on and have a real relationship, and they're going there with Caroline whether people like it or not. I don't like Delena, and that's going to be the focus of the show until the bitter end, so I just FF. They brought Alaric back, those bastards, so now I'm in for at least a few episodes of S6. That being the case, Steroline is one of the only things I'm interested in. They've been playing the slow game with this for several seasons. I mean, you can go all the way back to S1E1 for the origins, but in terms of the romantic relationship development, it's been going on since at least the beginning of Season 4. They've been slowly dismantling every ounce of romantic feeling between Stefan and Elena. They had a whole episode devoted to showing that if they'd been human, they would have had this beautiful life, but that's never going to happen and they need to let it go. And they did.

Do I trust the writers to not have Elena get jealous and create drama? No, because she is a terrible, horrible character now and has lost all that selflessness she used to possess, so of course she wouldn't prioritize the happiness of her best friends over her own lingering desire to be #1 in Stefan's life while also being crazy in love with his brother. But who cares? I don't think Stefan's going back there, and I don't think Elena is either. So she can have her impotent jealousy, and Caroline can feel a little insecure, and Stefan can feel a little confused, and they can all feel a little awkward. That's OK. That doesn't doom the Steroline relationship. It's similar to the beats of the Triangle of Doom, only in this case two of the characters are emotionally mature so hopefully it's less painful.

• Love 2

Gingercharm, I so agree with you regarding Ian's acting "abilities", or the lack of thereof. I was cringing so bad when he was talking to Bonnie about how she needs motivation because his brother is dead. He looked like he was struggling to take a big dump, not being emotionally distraught, lol!

And I also agree, just because Stefan isn't a man whore like Damon doesn't mean he's gay, lol! We were shown his two relationships with women that were/are platonic. In over 100 years of his life that's not indicative of anything more than simply the fact that he's capable of a platonic relationship.

Even though I loved seeing characters from episodes past I still think this finale sucked and I'll be reading recaps next season to see if I want to give this show another chance.

My big thing for poor Stefan is why Caroline? I'd much rather see him with Liv or some other new character. I mean If Damon is a manwhore then Caroline is big ol "relationship" whore. She has been "maddly" in love with every man in MF besides Elena's brother. First her "epic" love was Matt, then no it was Tyler wait no it is Klaus no wait NOW it is Stefan. GMAB!

Just like death on this show Caroline's current "epic" love is really hard to believe at this point. I think Enzo will be more a foil than Elena anyway b/c Caroline is fickle like that. When Stefan loves someone he is nothing if not "all in" so I doubt Elena will be the issue.

Plus personally I thought she had the best chemistry with Klaus so I'd much rather see her on TO and get rid of Cami.

• Love 1

I agree that they probably de-hybridized Tyler to cut off any ties with TO show. I take his not being able heal as him being back as a regular kid with an untriggered curse. Because when he triggered it the first time, the stab wound he had from Matt healed right away. Which could be interesting and possibly give him a storyline because you KNOW they'll re-trigger it somehow.

What I hate most about the Steroline plot is that it seems that the only way they can write for Caroline anymore is to have her romantically involved with whomever. She never has story lines of her own it's always about whatever man she's attached to.

I honestly don't know how any of the actors on this show (sans maybe Ian) are happy with their character arcs. Everyone keeps getting the short end of the stick and written horribly OOC just to pander to various fan bases. All except Ian/Damon. I'm a Damon fan but even I see how lopsided this whole mess is.

I've tried writing my thoughts on this season for a post... Trying to explain all the areas where this show took a swan dive into horrible is just too exhausting. I quit watching a few episodes back when I realized it was a genuine effort to care about what was going on. But since I truly loved this show once, I had a little hope for the finale (only to be disappointed of course).

I'll even agree that Ian may not be the best actor out there. Despite that, hating Ian Somerhalder is like kicking puppies 'cause, admit it, he's an amazing human being. And I don't see how anyone could be better fit for the role of Damon - that is, when he's actually Damon and not the emotional mess the writers created for season 5. Fans were excited for Elena and Damon to be together because his personality was GOOD for her. It CHALLENGED her and made her less emotionally fragile. Stefan would always be perfect, and perfect relationships are predictable (and somewhat boring). Making Elena and Damon so indecisive with the same recycled "break-up" speech every other episode? That's boring, too. Let the love triangle end, let them be together, and focus on the other characters. This show USED TO give every character a story - that's why we loved them. Now most of them have been rendered insignificant. Even the actors seem bored.

Kill Stefan, bring back Stefan. Then kill Damon. And Bonnie, again. What? Honestly, if I'm ever convinced to start watching this show again, I'll be surprised. That was not a finale. That was the most dramatic possible outcome being incorporated to force a dwindling fanbase to tune in for the next season. No, thank you.

• Love 3
(edited)

Not to mention that her going on said "suicide mission" meant one more person Bonnie had to let pass through her and they all knew how physically taxing that was on Bonnie. And doing the spell was also killing Liv, the longer she had to keep doing it. But god forbid Elena ever think about anyone but herself and whatever guy she's banging at the time. I mean this was the same girl who less than 5 minutes after Jeremy's teacher tells her all the ways Jeremy's messing up at school and tells her she needs to be more attentive, she was fantasizing about sex with Damon in the school lab. 

I have never liked Elena. I have always thought she was selfish and self-involved. One of the first times Elena ever bugged me was when she and Stefan and Caroline and Matt did that double date thing and she spent a lot of time reminiscing with Matt. Stefan didn't care and wasn't threatened but it was such a shitty thing to do to Caroline and she of course acted completely oblivious to what she was doing wrong. And let's not forget the fact that long before her becoming a vampire (which is why I hate that they attribute her getting with Damon to that) she had way too many inappropriate moments I thought with him and allowed him to get away with way too many inappropriate comments/moments with her all while saying how much she loved his brother. 

But even then she had moments of not being a complete selfish moron. Now, nothing. Not to be crass but I feel like all Elena gives a shit about is Damon's dick and I could care less since I hate them both but it's really hard when she's still the lead on the show in many ways and their shitty ass whiny-fest of a relationship sucks up so much screentime. So for someone like me who loathes her so much, tolerates him and gives no shit about their relationship, it makes the show almost painful to get through.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I like Ian, and I think he owns the Damon role completely. I just don't love his choices in highly emotional scenes. That might just be how he thinks Damon would react, but it doesn't play as real to me and takes me out of it. That's just a personal preference, but I know Ian has it in him to play it with more subtlety because he did in earlier seasons. Like, his scenes with Rose when she was dying were perfect. His own near-death scenes that year were great too. Anyway, I loved that last scene with Bonnie so much, and it's an example of him reining it in when he could have gone all bug-eyed WTF OMG instead.

• Love 1

I don't feel any of the actors have gotten worse this year, but the writing was often subpar so many of them didn't come across at their best from time to time this season b/c the stories made no sense often. All of the main cast are fairly decent actors as a group they are cohesive and one is not really a stand out over another.

Damon is good and Damon is bad. I don't feel Damon treats Elena's family and friends terrible. He has a volatile personality but for every terrible thing he has done he has also done many good things. People talk a lot about how he treated Caroline in season one, but seem to forget that he also saved her from being part of the Klaus hybrid spell and took a werewolf bite from Tyler keeping her safe. That is just one example. The main reason the whole gang can't make it without Damon is b/c he is ALWAYS in charge of everything. He has to make the plans and be the leader, b/c being the leader of supernateral shenanigans means you have to do bad things and he is willing to do that and take the heat. I mean the one time Stefan was in charge of something was when he stole Klaus' caskets and he at that time didn't care that Jeremy almost died and he tried to drive Elena off the Wickery bridge. I don't think with Damon gone any of them will be willing to be the "bad" guy to save them all. Plus Damon just sacrificed himself along with Bonnie to save them all.

Very rarely does someone stay with their highschool sweatheart, b/c that shit isn't real it is unicorns and rainbows. That is what Stefan and Elena finally admitted. The Sefan Elena fell in love with was only "good" Stefan. He kind of tricked her(and himself) by keeping his "bad" Stefan a secret and ultimately that is what ruined them.  Elena sees the good and bad in Damon and realizes she also has that in her. You can't help who you love and real love is messy.

I do think it was a little heavy handed that the writes had Elena not want to be a vampire to be with Stefan forever, but chose to die with Damon rather than be without him, but as a Delena fan I'll take it. It's fiction and in the fictional world I like messy bad boy romances better.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ian is a sweetheart and god forbid he would condone ANYTHING a fictional vampire would do in real life. That really can't be used as an arguement. He has a resonsiblity to his teenage audience to not condone that shit.

I feel even high school aged girls of which I was once one many many years ago are quite capable of distinguishing fictional romantized situations over real life.  I truely don't think they take actual relationship advice from a tv show.

Elena's relationship with both brothers was not healthy. Stefan manipulated her into loving him by letting her only see one side of him. When the other side came popping out b/c he IS a vampire and has a bad side too, she really wasn't equiped to deal with it. I mean the guy was over 100 years old and going to high school? He is the same guy now why doesn't he go back again and take care of Jeremy? For all the bad stuff Damon had done to Jeremy he has also begrudgingly looked out for him and cared about him too. That is Damon good and bad.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1

Personally I don't think anyone needs to take care of Jeremy he is really a grownass man in my book. Who took care of Elena when she was 17? I don't understand why Elena has to take care of Jeremy. She needs to love him which she does but compared to the depressed stoner he was in season 1 Jeremy has turned out pretty well. Poor Mattie blue eyes never in his whole life had anyone to take care of him, and I don't hear everyone up in arms over his poor life.

Elena is trying to raise herself and Jeremy is trying to raise himself. I don't fault anyone for them having to do that, just like Matt and Tyler and Bonnie it is what it is. Truely Caroline is the only one with family at this point anyway. Why is it on Elena to raise Jeremy?

No he did not. He was too late getting back to the woods to go through Bonnie. He wasn't a goddamn hero. BONNIE was. Bonnie took all the pain and suffering to save them. Even though dumbass Elena actually had the nerve to be upset at Bonnie for bringing her back. 

This is exactly what I'm trying to say about Damon. He DID do a good thing, but somehow he gets no credit for it. Who had to be the bad guy and push Bonnie and Enzo to find a way. Damon. The whole plan was b/c of Damon. Bonnie sacrified herself b/c she chose to and gets credit for it, but Damon did too. He chose to be the one to die not knowing if he'd get back and he didn't get back. He and Bonnie BOTH accepted they might not make it. Why was he late anyway, oh yah HELPING  Caroline's mom.

So I stand by my statement. Bonnie and Damon BOTH sacrificed themselves for everyone else to live.

• Love 1
(edited)

Siblings don't work that way. Of course she will always "big sister" him just like he bitches at her from time to time about her choices. I see nothing wrong in that she loves him and cares about him but she ISN'T his mother.

Edited by Cattitude

I've never really thought she's an awful sister.  It's a case of a kid raising a kid.  She's worked to make certain arrangements and rules for Jeremy, but as stated, she's not his mother.  She doesn't have the skills to parent someone that is practically the same age as her and it's honestly not her job.  The best she can do is try - finding him a place to live, being there for 'parent' meetings, all those things necessary to keep him out of foster care.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't need Elena to be some perfect parent. As noted, yes she's still in some ways a kid herself. And when the series started, that was the criticisms John for example had against Jenna. Jenna too was only in her early 20's and suddenly her sister and her husband die and she's now a guardian for two teenagers. So yeah, she wasn't perfect. My problem with Elena is that except for maybe Seasons 1 and 2, she just plain doesn't seem to give a shit about Jeremy. 

Her reaction to his "death" was heartbreaking but especially for the last two seasons, there are many times where it almost seems like Elena really doesn't give a shit about Jeremy. She doesn't have to be perfect but at least seem interested and like you care. And again, when she's fantasizing about doing her douchy boyfriend on a science lab table (who incidentally had just recently tried to kill said brother AGAIN) less than a few minutes after a teacher has just told her how much her brother is struggling and she needs to be more present, it makes it hard to believe she gives any kind of a crap about him. 

This season more than any has showed Elena as a girl with no life, no dreams, no hopes, no anything other than being obsessed with her creepo boyfriend who goes off on violent rampages whenever there is a problem in their relationship. Their relationship is shitty, it makes both of them whiny assholes and everyone else gets dragged down and sucked into the vortex of shittness because it's all about them. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I thought this was a pretty crappy finale, fitting for a pretty crappy season. They've done the Nina Dobrev sobbing thing too many times (though she rocks it), and I found it a lot more moving when she did it for Jeremy. Mostly because I thought there might be a chance we wouldn't see Jeremy for a while, whereas this episode I just rolled my eyes. As if they'd even consider not bringing Damon back.

Also, death officially means nothing on this show. As long as there was the Other Side, I could at least sort of accept this as a cop out, but now Bonnie and Damon have walked into the light or whatever and we all know at least Damon will be back by the end of the season 6 premiere. Bonnie I'm less sure about, if only because the show has always relied on her for last minute deus ex machina powers. Otherwise her character has always gotten the short end of the stick.

I really think the show just needs to be done with the Salvatores/Elena pairings, at least for a while. Delena this season was for the most part cringeworthy and really boring to watch. Elena came off incredibly bad this episode in the writer's need to prop that pairing: joining the suicide mission despite the fact that she has a living brother, despite the fact that passing through Bonnie causes her pain. Not giving a single crap about anybody's pain or death other than Damon's. And this entire season has been no different (personal highlight: teachers tell her how much Jeremy is struggling, Elena reacts by fantasising about sexing up Damon). Elena is one of the most unlikeable heroines on TV right now. Some alone time, or a new love interest, could possibly make the writers focus on Elena as a character again.

• Love 1

I can't really compare Jenna with Elena in terms of parenting.  For one, Jenna was an adult, closer in age to the Gilbert kids than the Gilbert parents, but still an adult.  As a adult of Elena's parents' generation, her relationship to them made her more of authority figure.  She was an aunt, not a sister.  I also find it hard to fault someone for doing something like thinking, even if the thoughts are inappropriate in the moment.  Everyone thinks and not all of our thoughts are 100% in the moment at any given time. Just how the brain works.  Elena showed up to the meeting and has done her part to question Jeremy about his life.  Apart from when her humanity was turned off, I haven't seen her be presented as someone who just doesn't care at all for her brother.  I've seen a set of orphaned siblings very close in age who are both part of the supernatural world where the expectations aren't exactly in line with the expectations of those not in the know.  It doesn't help that certain things like death and injury have come to hold no value because there has always been a loophole.  Plus, I think when your brother has a deep urge to hate and kill you, it makes a bit of sense to not smother.  

I don't think Elena has been an awful sister.  If she were a parent, sure, she'd be pretty shitty, but she's not a parent nor does Jeremy want her to be a parent.  That being said, yeah, of course the toxicity of her relationship to Damon isn't good and I'm not sure the intent is to present it as good.  The supernatural is just inherently toxic anyway and there are obviously combustable elements, like Elena and Damon.  I also don't think any character had much room for growth when death meant nothing.  It's kinda hard to really get truly distraught when only the mamas and the daddys have ever died for good.  Hopefully next season focuses more on the permanency of death and what that means about how you live your life, even if a vampiric life promises to be a long one.  

• Love 2

I fully comprehend we're talking about a vampire show, but since the latest conversation is about the sibling matters, I'd like to just say what I think about Elena as a sister. If someone snapped my brother's neck I would make sure this person burned the painful flames of hell. He would not have any second chances to as much as look at my brother again. Out of all the idiocies this show has come up with to me this one is, by far, the stupidest one of them all. This wench doesn't deserve a brother, she doesn't deserve a family. The end.

• Love 3
(edited)
Out of all the idiocies this show has come up with to me this one is, by far, the stupidest one of them all.

I really am curious what the motivation was behind that writing decision. I mean was it really supposed to show that Damon was just so crazed with passion for Elena because yeah, no. I never understood why the writers felt the need to go there when it was clear as day that the triangle was going to exist and at some point down the line, they would put Elena with Damon. And it was the start of their pattern of making Damon do something really shitty and then just believing having Ian smirk and snark his way through the next episodes was enough to sweep it under the rug. Damon for me is to Vampire Diaries what Chuck was to Gossip Girl and I couldn't stand both tools and hated the big relationship with both. Difference is I just felt sorry for Blair who I kind of liked and thought she deserved better and should have wanted better for herself. Elena, she can burn in a fire far as I'm concerned and take her creepy, unhealthy relationship with her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

believing having Ian smirk and snark his way through the next episodes was enough to sweep it under the rug.

It is not really fair to mix Damon and Ian together. If anything you mean have Damon smirk and snark, but that isn't what happened anyway. Elena hated him and he tried to take back something he couldn't. I think the motivation was more a dawning on Damon that he couldn't go around being so impulsive all the time without consequences that mattered to him. Elena then proceeded to trick him and hurt him badly. It wasn't just swept under the rug, though she did eventally forgive him for that and other things he did.

• Love 1

Why use Damon for the suicide mission and not Enzo the ghost who can move/touch objects? No collateral damage there. Still no explanation as to why Enzo could move about during daylight? WTF show?

• Love 3
(edited)

Ok, so again, this is a vampire show, but no matter how far removed a premise is from reality I can never be sold on this. Just no. You may forgive something this atrocious, if you're close to sainthood, which we all know Elena isn't, but you sure as hell don't start dating a man who basically kills your brother, regardless if the brother comes back to life.

So yeah, no consequences at all here. Damon snaps Jeremy's neck and he still gets Elena's magic vagina and epic love. Then he's willing to go down the same route again and then what? A whole lot of nothing. It's like it didn't matter to her! And then Damon comes to Jeremy's parent teacher conference? To me this is just disgusting! Elena is a shitty sister. But that is, of course, just my opinion. I'm extremely protective of my family and am incapable of making such a huge mental leap to comprehend how Elena can possibly stand herself as a sister.

Whereas this show used to have ridiculous plot points like that just lightly sprinkled over the seasons, this season has been one major fail when it comes to any continuity or rationale.

Btw, I apologize for not quoting, I always use my cell and it's not the easiest thing to do in the absence of a desktop/laptop, especially when wanting to quote multiple posters.

Edited by MachuPichu
  • Love 2

To me the issue is how Jeremy and Damon feel about each other. If Jeremy loathed Damon and really couldn't forgive him then yes Elena would be kind of bad for loving Damon at Jeremy's expense.

But that is not the relationship Damon and Jeremy have. They have a deeply conflicted love/hate kind of thing going on. Jeremy seems to trust Damon on some level as he usually tells him things he doesn't tell others and he takes advice from Damon at times. For the couple of times Damon has tried to kill him he has also saved him multiple times. Damon likes to pretend he doesn't care about Jeremy but he does underneith when he allows himself to feel and I think that makes him mad at times and impulsive. Plus both Jeremy and Damon love Elena so they share that bond too. Jeremy is good at telling his opinion when Caroline or Bonnie try to over mother him. He doesn't seem to mind when Damon kind of "fathers" him.

Contrast that with Jeremy's relationship with Stefan. They really don't have much of one. They have never been close and Jeremy doesn't really turn to Stefan for advice or really look up to him at all. What does that say about Stefan if he loves Elena so much but has never really bothered with Jeremy?

All of them Bonnie, Jeremy, Matt, Tyler and even at times Caroline see the good and bad in Damon. For all the bad things he's done to them he has also done good to and for them. So that is why they all have a kind of love/hate relationship with Damon.

• Love 2

Personally I think people can forgive and people can be forgiven. If someone choses to forgive someone then I buy it. You don't have to hold a grudge for something done years ago forever. In the end it hurts the person holding on to those feelings far more than the person who did it.

Caroline pursued Damon who was a dangerous vampire and he used her badly. She voiced and showed her anger at him and he took it. He then has saved her life and her mother's life more than once. I think she is allowed to get past the past if she choses to. I don't think it has much to do with her sleeping with Klaus. The point always was she had feelings for Klaus and he tried to kill her himself more than once. It does make her look like a total hypocrite for always being on Elena's case about Damon. She could choose to hate Damon, but not always be a harpie to Elena. Elena very clearly knew how she felt so voicing it over and over only made her look bad. Klaus used them all and really did a number on Stefan, but Elena NEVER once harped on Caroline for her feelings for Klaus.

I also think the reason no big deal was made about Damon's part in the Jeremy kidnap was b/c that was really a plot point for Enzo and Katherine. It really wasn't supposed to be much to do with him. It was used to show Enzo's murderous nature and Katherine's disregard for anything except impressing Stefan.

• Love 1
(edited)
Caroline pursued Damon who was a dangerous vampire and he used her badly.

Far as I remember, the only thing Caroline knew of Damon was that he was a hot guy and she flirted with him. I can't remember if there was alcohol or some mind-control involved in her sleeping with him but for the sake of fairness I'll say she did that willingly. But I clearly remember her looking like she regretted it as soon as she woke up and tried to quickly escape the room, which is when Damon trapped her and from that moment proceeded to feed on her and use her body like a glorified blow-up doll for a period of time after. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

The whole Damon/Jeremy relationship only exists because the writers tried to sweep the whole "murder" thing under a rug. I mean, Jeremy was basically making cracks about it the very next episode. The episode, I might add, where Damon also tried to kill a newly turned, sobbing Caroline and only stopped when Elena acted as a human shield for her.

Then again this season they were trading quips right after Damon's newest murder attempt.

Look, it doesn't matter. Nobody ever stays mad at Damon for all the shit he does. Jeremy, Caroline, Lexi, the Whitmores, Aaron...those things bounce off him like he's made of teflon. The writers think they can take him as far as they want and then just gloss over stuff because Damon's hot, fun and snarky. Stefan is one thing because he feels a lot of guilt for the way Damon is and he clearly loves his brother above all else (which, unfortunately, isn't true for Damon), but if Elena had any moral integrity she would have cut her losses a long time ago. But then what was it she said to that so full of compassion? "He's always been there for me when I needed him." Which is all that matters to her.

• Love 2