Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

On 2/11/2018 at 6:01 AM, SimonSeymour said:

I recently bought and then read the book the series is based on because I NEEDED information faster than the show is able to tell  it. 

Anyway, the quote from the yearbook was “most likely to be remembered.” Kind of different than “most likely to succeed.”

Interesting twist! Perhaps those high school students were more perceptive and prophetic than anyone realized. Yikes!

• Love 1
On 1/31/2018 at 11:28 PM, Tenarife60 said:

Did Andrew and Lee actually know one another in real life?  I thought I had read before that it was never discovered that they knew each other or it was a random killing because Andrew needed a car to escape from his previous murder.  I remember reading the Vanity Fair article years ago but I can't recall everything about the case.

I read that actual book back in 2003 and it never mentioned many details rather if Lee & Andrew knew each other.  The author made it seems as though Andrew was just passing by Chicago and randomly saw Lee and killed him in his garage and took his car. I'm re-reading the book on Google Play. 

Judith Light is an amazing actress. I remember watching her on "Who's the Boss?" with one of my faves, Alyssa Milano. 

Kudos to Judith for a great job! I hope she continues working the American Crimes shows or even American Horror Story.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2018 at 9:08 PM, latincoffee said:

I read that actual book back in 2003 and it never mentioned many details rather if Lee & Andrew knew each other.  The author made it seems as though Andrew was just passing by Chicago and randomly saw Lee and killed him in his garage and took his car. I'm re-reading the book on Google Play. 

I tend to think if he just needed the car (or wanted to steal other items) from Lee, he would have shot Lee in the head or beat him to death and then drove off with the car, rather than sticking around to do the torturing and sexual stuff that he did to Lee. If Andrew didn't know Miglin, it sure seems like he took out his frustrations with his previous elderly sugar daddies on him. 

I really wonder if Andrew may have been involved in some other unsolved murders of older, wealthy gentleman where details weren't released/well-known because they'd lead to speculation about the victim's sexuality. (I don't know of any off-hand, I'm just wondering if there may be more Cunanan victims we don't know about.)

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 12
On 2/21/2018 at 6:09 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

tend to think if he just needed the car (or wanted to steal other items) from Lee, he would have shot Lee in the head or beat him to death and then drove off with the car, rather than sticking around to do the torturing and sexual stuff that he did to Lee. If Andrew didn't know Miglin, it sure seems like he took out his frustrations with his previous elderly sugar daddies on him. 

Which is exactly what he did to the caretaker at Fort Mott.

It ties back to the title- A Random Killing- and shows us one that is said to be one but clearly isn't, and the actual random killing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just watching this series now.  I have seen Marilyn Miglin on HSN.  She was dressed like Judith was in the show, and was always Very Ladylike.  In this episode, all I could see was Judith Light "acting" in a very bad wig.  She seemed a lot younger than MM too.

Very difficult/disturbing episode.

Edited by Thumper

I'm really enjoying the show so far. I don't think it's fully delving into gay culture but I do appreciate all the club scenes and the way they're handling the relationship between Versace and Antonio. The stuff with Andrew is... trickier. This episode was very dark. Admittedly, I don't watch any horror (I might watch a "thriller") and I don't watch a lot of crime stuff beyond the network procedurals and soapy stuff, but I feel like Ryan Murphy stuff hits me in a way that other stuff. I don't mean the idiocy of Scream Queens. But the surgeries in Nip/Tuck? That was hard for me to watch. I don't know. I just really... feel it. It doesn't feel like fetishized or glossy violence. 

I'm still not sold on Darren Criss. I think he's doing good work... for Darren Criss. But even in this episode where he had a lot to do, I keep thinking that it was the way the character was behaving that was affecting me and not actually his performance. There's a difference. I notice a slight self-consciousness, a lack of full commitment. Last time it was when he was dancing around the hotel room. This time it was when he kissed Lee. 

Also, all the tape is real weird and I'm waiting for them to explain that. I thought it was a little over the top when he put on the duct tape before getting in the shower. It doesn't feel like camp in the context of the show but there's a level of weird that's sometimes a little too weird, like they're overplaying their hands. 

God bless the goddess Judith Light. So far Gianni and Donatella (even if I have to put on the CC for Penelope Cruz) have the most interesting dialogue to me (though sometimes Andrew or Antonio get nice moments) but Judith Light helped ground the episode outside of all the violence and darkness. It was a bit of a digression but it would have been too much without her parts of the episode.

• Love 2

I’m binge watching the series on Netflix. 

I absolutely believe that Lee knew Andrew and that’s why Andrew decided to humiliate Lee by staging his body in such a way. I do have a lot of sympathy for Lee who was likely pressured into a heteronormative lifestyle.

Not to say he didn’t love his wife (it seems like he did) and he could’ve been bi (rather than gay)  I think it’s a little unfair to just tell people not to get married- when at the time Lee reached adulthood society was structured around having a heteronormative marriage. It’s 2019 and can be difficult for single people. Of course some people have always made the choice not to marry, but I’m not condemning Lee for his relationship with Andrew or his marriage to Marilyn (which by all accounts was a happy and successful one). 

I am acknowledging that gay/bi sexual men had far more choices than similarly situated gay/bisexual women did in this period. ( I have noticed that lesbians who come out of the closet later in life aren’t as villifed as gay men are.)

Judith Light is an amazing actress and I was so glad to see her in this episode. She really gave life to Marilyn. I saw a woman who’d lost her very best friend. 

Darren is playing Andrew in such a way that I see how people were charmed by him and I see how absolutely nuts he was. 

• Love 2