Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/ratings-news-19th-february-2016.html

LoT scored a 0.8/2.26 last night.  That's down a tenth in the demo and actually tied with Supernatural.  It does have more viewers than Supernatural but, it's not a good sign.  Obviously it could bounce back, especially next week with GA/Oliver showing up.  However, we're coming up on DST and shows usually drop once we hit DST so it's iffy.

:(

Well, that's not cancellation levels yet probably, but it's not a great trend. It's the lowest of the three shows this week. :(

But I'll just enjoy it however long it lasts. Like Agent Carter, which probably isn't going to get another season either.

LoT isn't flawless by a long shot. But right now I'm enjoying it far more than the other three shows in the DC Berlanti-verse. I love team shows, I love the character interactions and how they're mixing everyone up, and I love how they're all coming together and growing closer to each other. Mix it up with a good dose of action and sci-fi, and it's hitting all my personal favorite things. I don't like Savage, and I wish there wasn't so many plot holes in the whole "stop Savage" storyline. But otherwise, it and Agent Carter are the only two shows right now I'm really enjoying.

Like last night. Who would have thought Leonard Snart, of all people, would end up being Sara's conscience? I love stuff like that. :)

• Love 5

I just watched Legends. I thought it was pretty good. I'm loving Sara's progression. I like her and Lenny. I'm absolutely loving Ray in a way I just couldn't in Arrow, I'm so surprised by it.

I imagine the ratings will be up for next week and hopefully they can retain some of those viewers.

• Love 2

I've lost so much faith in Arrow but it still has enough going for it I continue to watch. Flash isn't as much fun as it was, I think because the story has been all over the place this season. LoT on the other hand, as people have said, is full of holes and has a weak villain but is so damn entertaining.

• Love 4

I gave up on Arrow after the first episode of season 3. The Flash I watch because it's on before my other Tuesday night show. LoT is the only show I'm excited to watch every week.

Is it perfect, no. But it's fun and I really love the character interactions. I could deal with one season if the show continues getting better. It will then be like Firefly as another show that didn't last long enough to be ruined. So it will forever be remembered as being a great show. 

Also from this pic it looks like Sara got a new jacket for her outfit. 

tumblr_o2s6icU64T1uvcgjlo1_500.gif

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

*squints* Oh yeah, you're right, it's a long coat that goes down to her knees.

Ehhh. It doesn't look like it fits very well. No, "fits" isn't the right word. It just looks not very well put together.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

The coat is longer, it goes past her knees now. 

It is a weird coat, it looks like it's not meant to be closed up. Or it they didn't give it enough room around her bust area. 

Edited by Sakura12

Caity probably asked for it, she was originally disappointed that they didn't give her a longer jacket like Dinah and White Canary had in the comics.

Plus the original jacket was clearly not working.

I see

Oliver of the future has gone back to sleeves, good choice.

I'm very very excited by that.... Can they please make that happen.... I can accept that altering of the timeline. Then the LoT crew would definitely by Heroes in my eyes :)

• Love 2

LoT is my fav to watch of the Flarrowverse right now... perhaps its because I am not really invested in the show as much as ARROW. Arrow's plottiness & depth of stupidity with their mid-season storylines (WC & BMD) have really taken a lot of enjoyment for me out of the show. LoT is just a fun ride. It's the perfect blend of interesting characters, action/adventure & random mythology. It's just working so well.

Sidenote - Does anyone else wonder if the Sharkman in FLASH is the same shark that took a piece out of OQ? Perhaps his magical bite is what gave him his magical superpowers. I know they are probably not connected at all. I just find it ironic that they have CGI Sharks in both shows.

• Love 3

Sidenote - Does anyone else wonder if the Sharkman in FLASH is the same shark that took a piece out of OQ? Perhaps his magical bite is what gave him his magical superpowers. I know they are probably not connected at all. I just find it ironic that they have CGI Sharks in both shows.

Pretty sure King Shark is from Earth-2.

It is odd that MG is EP on LOT and the show does character work as well as it does.  Makes me wonder what really is the behind the scenes story for Arrow and the sometimes flaky character stuff.

Well he did characters really well in s1&s2 on ARROW. So perhaps its the novelty of the characters. For some reason in s3, he felt the need to throw all of these characters in the drama blender and see what came out. I think s4 is just an exercise in his ego trying to tell the audience what we should like about the show/characters.

Or more likely I believe that its the other LoT EPs (Phil Klemmer, Sarah Schechter & Chris Fedak) are the reason behind the good character work. MG maybe an EP but  Klemmer serves as showrunner.

I think MG has some pretty good ideas, but he needs someone to wrangle him in. Nobody has corralled him on ARROW, which is why we have overdosed on Plot for Plot sake & Drama for Idiots as their guidebook. They are corralling him on LoT.

• Love 7

Pretty sure King Shark is from Earth-2.

But he is known to ARGUS, so I think its a Earth-1 character. Lyla & Dig come to give BA the heads up. I do wonder with Waller being so invested in the Island if perhaps there were not some secret experiments going on in the magical parts of the island.

• Love 1

But he is known to ARGUS, so I think its a Earth-1 character. Lyla & Dig come to give BA the heads up. I do wonder with Waller being so invested in the Island if perhaps there were not some secret experiments going on in the magical parts of the island.

I think this is the same King Shark that appeared in 2x04 and was taken out by Wells. He was from Earth-2, sent over by Zoom to kill the Flash. My assumption is that they turned him over to ARGUS after that, rather than stick him in Iron Heights or put him in the pipeline.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

King Shark was one of the Earth-2 characters sent over by Zoom to kill the Flash. He appeared in 2x04 and was taken out by Wells. My assumption is that they turned him over to ARGUS after that.

That would make sense.... I tend to zone out for most of Flash. Often its like the equivalent of hearing the Peanut's Adults talk. It's a lot of wah wah wah

Perhaps if it had been part of one of Barry's many pep talks I might have a better memory of it due to repetition.  :)

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

Lol. :). It was really a very brief appearance at the end of the episode. He tries to strangle Barry, Patty shoots at him, Wells knocks him out with the weapon he created. Barry runs after Wells. The end.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

It is odd that MG is EP on LOT and the show does character work as well as it does.  Makes me wonder what really is the behind the scenes story for Arrow and the sometimes flaky character stuff.

But MG is not the showrunner on LoT. The person manning the writers room, and doing final adjustments to all scripts is Phil Klemmer. Who's actually pretty good at giving story to ensemble casts, and who's such a superior writer to MG that the comparison isn't even fair.

• Love 2

Phil Klemmer has been involved in Veronica Mars, Chuck and Forever. All shows with a great ensemble cast. Most of the other writers also seem to be from Chuck and Forever. That's why I wasn't worried about them handling the team aspect of the show. 

• Love 1

Phil Klemmer has been involved in Veronica Mars, Chuck and Forever. All shows with a great ensemble cast. Most of the other writers also seem to be from Chuck and Forever. That's why I wasn't worried about them handling the team aspect of the show.

Fact. I only gave LoT a chance because I enjoyed Phil Klemmer's work on Veronica Mars. If Marc had been in charge I wouldn't have tried, despite my love for Caity.

• Love 2

I've only quoted the Arrow references...

20 Awesome DC TV Easter Eggs You Probably Missed
The best hidden references from The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Gotham, and Legends of Tomorrow.

James Hunt  19 Feb 2016

http://whatculture.com/tv/20-awesome-dc-tv-easter-eggs-you-probably-missed.php

Over on Arrow, there are the likes of Adams and O’Neil, which refers to Dennis O’Neil and Neal Adams, and also Adams and Infantino, the latter referring to the man who helped create Barry Allen. Over on The Flash, there’s the likes of 4th and Kolins, for artist Scott Kolins, and Waid Blvd, for writer Mark Waid.
Batman has also been referenced in this world, with the newspaper clipping from the future that Harrison Wells had reporting a merger between Wayne Tech and Queen Incorporated.
In Arrow, the Amazo is a ship that ends up wrecked on the shore of Lian Yu, having previously carried prisoners including a certain Oliver Queen, with the intention to test Mirakiru out on them. While it’s taken over by Slade Wilson, it was initially led by Anthony Ivo.
In the comics, Amazo is the name of a robot that is capable of replicating the powers of various heroes, including the members of the Justice League. His creator? Anthony Ivo.
The show [Gotham] had already introduced a villain who had appeared on Arrow, the Dollmaker (albeit a different version), when there was a quick Easter egg that seemed to directly hint at the existence of Oliver Queen in this world, with the Queen Consolidated logo appearing illuminated on the side of a building.
The best Harley [Quinn] moment on Arrow, though, never actually made it to screen. It was a deleted scene, in which she begs Diggle to let her out because she wants to play, and then she calls him ‘Chocolate Puddin’, which is all kinds of weird and awesome.
Cyrus Gold was one of the toughest non-main villains Oliver had to face on Arrow, a Mirikuru-injected badass who came awfully close to putting the Arrow down for good. He was seemingly killed, but the door is open for his return thanks to his comic book reincarnation, Solomon Grundy – a zombie with super-strength, speed, and is near-indestructible. Aside from the name Cyrus Gold, it’s hinted at when Team Arrow are in his apartment after his death, and find the Solomon Grundy poem written down in a book.
Although Arrow might not be able to use the character Nightwing – though it would be great if they could find a way – but that hasn’t stopped them dropping in plenty of references to his hometown of Blüdhaven, sister city of Gotham. The most recent came in Season 3, when Oliver lied to Thea that he was in Blüdhaven when in actuality he’d been killed by Ra’s al Ghul, but it has received plenty of mentions, in particular in the first couple of seasons, and is actually seen in a couple of episodes – Dead To Rights and The Undertaking.
Felicity Smoak has long been Arrow’s answer to Barbara Gordon, aka Oracle. She’s a tech-genius who runs operations and gives commands from a secret base while the hero is out in the field. The paralels became even more obvious when Felicity was shot by H.I.V.E., leaving her paralysed and in a wheelchair. This seemed to complete the transformation into Oracle, and the show decided to tackle it head on. As they couldn’t actually use the name, they settle on Overwatch, but not before saying that Oracle was “already taken.” It’s not the first time they’ve decided against using the name either: the episode The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak was originally titled Oracle.
The New 52, launched in 2011, was a massive revamp and relaunch by DC of all of its existing titles, and it’s something that pretty much all of these shows – but more obviously Arrow, The Flash, and Supergirl – have taken inspiration from. With that, hardly a week seems to go by without one of them making some sort of reference to the number.
The big one is the news channel 52, which is shown to be pretty much the only thing ever on TV screens in both Star City and Central City, the homes of Green Arrow and Flash respectively. Also in The Flash, after the singularity opened above Central City, it was revealed that it had caused 52 breaches across the city. There are smaller ones too, such as a 52nd Street, and in Welcome To Earth-2, a gun with the model 00X52.
Could the Green Lantern, specifically Hal Jordan’s version, appear in The CW’s DC universe? It’s a long shot, and probably depends on what plans the movies have for the character, but it’s certainly something Arrow and The Flash have set up to happen.
Coast City, home of Jordan, has been mentioned numerous times across both shows, with Barry running there and back for pizza, Oliver boarded a boat headed there at the end of Season 3; heck, Tommy wanted to take Laurel there way back in Season 1.
Then there are the references to Ferris Air, where Hal Jordan works. Again, it started back in Season 1 of Arrow, with a Ferris Air plane almost shot out of the sky, and it’s had a number of mentions since, but the most notable was talk of the testing facility shutting down due to a missing test pilot. Aka Hal Jordan!
Oh, and then there’s that image above. It took place in a flashback at the beginning of Arrow’s Season 4, in Coast City, of a pilot named Jordan. This is beyond Easter eggs and, if it doesn’t happen, just massive trolling.
  • Love 1

But MG is not the showrunner on LoT. The person manning the writers room, and doing final adjustments to all scripts is Phil Klemmer. Who's actually pretty good at giving story to ensemble casts, and who's such a superior writer to MG that the comparison isn't even fair.

That makes sense. I knew there were some different people working on LoT, but I guess it hadn't registered that MG was not actually showrunner over there too.

• Love 2

Or more likely I believe that its the other LoT EPs (Phil Klemmer, Sarah Schechter & Chris Fedak) are the reason behind the good character work. MG maybe an EP but  Klemmer serves as showrunner.

Oh man, I keep forgetting that there are two Chuck writers on Legends. Things may not end up making much sense, but you'll be too entertained to care.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 5
CW President Mark Pedowitz has indicated Vixen might go on to join the Legends of Tomorrow team, and that decision will likely depend on

how well the character comes across in this installment of Arrow.

http://screenrant.com/arrow-season-4-promo-vixen-megalyn-echikunwoke/

The CW President also had a few words hinting at a live-action appearance of Vixen... But Mark Pedowtiz mentioned other possibilities for the character, stating that “hopefully that character can spin itself out or if not, join the Legends [of Tomorrow].”

http://screenrant.com/vixen-tv-series-season-2-poster-live-action/

Edited by tv echo

That's interesting because I wouldn't mind another woman on Legends, but the cast is rather full.  I was kind of hoping to see Zatana show up at some point, but my daughter loves Vixen in the cartoons so who knows?  I just hope that if the show gets a second season, they keep Sara (a MUST) and add at least one more woman to the show (which means if Kendra goes - they add in two more).

I must say that Heatwave has grown on me and I love the dynamic between Stein and Jax - moreso than what little I saw of Stein and Robbie together.  I also like Kendra, but I guess if they wanted to change out cast members - I am less attached to her than almost anyone else. They just have to give me a cool woman to replace her if that's what they do (and no killing her - just let her leave the team - enough with women dying).

• Love 1

That's interesting because I wouldn't mind another woman on Legends, but the cast is rather full.  I was kind of hoping to see Zatana show up at some point, but my daughter loves Vixen in the cartoons so who knows?  I just hope that if the show gets a second season, they keep Sara (a MUST) and add at least one more woman to the show (which means if Kendra goes - they add in two more).

I must say that Heatwave has grown on me and I love the dynamic between Stein and Jax - moreso than what little I saw of Stein and Robbie together.  I also like Kendra, but I guess if they wanted to change out cast members - I am less attached to her than almost anyone else. They just have to give me a cool woman to replace her if that's what they do (and no killing her - just let her leave the team - enough with women dying).

I'm pretty sure if anyone's leaving after this season, it's Kendra. She's the weak link; even Jax has started to find his footing.

It's interesting that Pedowitz would talk about spinning Vixen off to LoT. That implies that they are planning on having a second season even though the ratings have not been spectacular. I suppose he might be getting instructions from Warner Bros. DC needs a television presence, and the CW might not be allowed to cancel any of the shows without getting permission first.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure if anyone's leaving after this season, it's Kendra. She's the weak link; even Jax has started to find his footing.

It's interesting that Pedowitz would talk about spinning Vixen off to LoT. That implies that they are planning on having a second season even though the ratings have not been spectacular. I suppose he might be getting instructions from Warner Bros. DC needs a television presence, and the CW might not be allowed to cancel any of the shows without getting permission first.

That was from TCA's back in January, before LoT premiered and he was kind of talking in general.
  • Love 1

I believe this King Shark is from E1. They said after the episode aired that he had a E1 counterpart.

Well the episode summary says "When King Shark escapes from an A.R.G.U.S. holding tank, Lila and Diggle travel to Central City to warn The Flash." Why would King Shark's Earth-1 counterpart be after the Flash? *shrug* I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the Earth-2 King Shark going after Barry again.

I was thinking about this the other day. Assuming LoT gets a second season, do you think they might move Curtis over? Vixen I know has already been mentioned. I'm trying to think of who else they might use.

Edited by Starfish35

This article by Forbes reviewer, Scott Mendelson, also mentions Arrow, Flash and LoT...

Yes, You Should Be Watching 'Supergirl'
Scott Mendelson FEB 22, 2016 @ 10:00 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/02/22/yes-you-should-be-watching-supergirl/#54791c212c8b

But with the new status quo and the current character dynamics, I would argue that this show is as good as Arrow (which itself is having a grand comeback season after a misguided third year) and the surprisingly light-footed Legends of Tomorrow. That I still crown The Flash as the DC TV champion says more about how good The Flash is than it does about Supergirl...
But the other major thing it does right, and this is where Lexi Alexander comes in, is its relative worth as an action show. It is every bit as action-packed, explosive, and violent as a would-be male-led superhero show would be expected to be. In terms of carnage, the show is closer to The Flash than the “Why does anyone still live in this city?”-level carnage of Arrow and Gotham, but there is no holding back in terms of big-scale (or at least “big” on a television-level scale) action sequences and super heroic beat downs. Since the show is relatively young, Ms. Alexander was able to craft something of a more grounded fighting style for the would-be Woman of Steel, a choreography that will allegedly be honored in future episodes in future fight sequences.
Edited by tv echo