Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, bijoux said:

That material is really thin. I can see all his ribs in this photo.

Yeah.   Thing is,  from someone who is currently halfway through making a costume (robin, not superman),  that could be a good thing.  I'm designing my costume to highlight the areas that I work out often so it looks better.   This costume looks like it was premade and adapted for whatever actor got the role,  it doesn't look as good,  the ribbing doesn't highlight his actual shape because it,  at least to me,  was clearly not based on Tyler's body but based on the designers idea of Superman.  It's good in theory but doesn't work in real life. 

• Love 2

The below criticism threw me a little because of the implied premise, namely, that Superman must tower over Supergirl in terms of size, even though Melissa Benoist is 5'8" in height (without heels)...

Superman Compared To Melissa Benoist’s Supergirl
by Shawn Rice July 29, 2016
http://www.business2community.com/entertainment/tyler-hoechlin-underwhelms-superman-compared-melissa-benoists-supergirl-01613317#MvfJGEYB2O06IfiH.97

The first photo has been released of “Teen Wolf” and “Everybody Wants Some” actor Tyler Hoechlin in costume as Superman in The CW’s “Supergirl”. And, it is quite disappointing. No offense to Hoechlin but he barely looks bigger than Melissa Benoist’s Supergirl.

(edited)

Superman is supposed to 6'3 or 6'4 he should be very tall, in reality so should Wonder Woman (between 5'11 and 6')

It's not that he should tower over her because he's a guy, being tall and built is a defining characteristic/look of the character. 

I've known people to complain about Dean Cain's superman because he was too short. I've also seen people complain about Hugh Jackman's Wolverine because he's way too tall to play a 5'3 character  (there's a reason Sabertooth always calls him Runt). However, I seriously doubt you could turn a 5'3,  300 lb (adamantium is heavy) hairy dude into a Badass sex symbol so I'm guessing most people let that slide.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

If Superman is supposed to be about 6'3" or 6'4", then the height differential in that pic is about right.  MB is 5'8" without heels, so with those heeled boots, she should be at least 6' tall.

I don't even notice Hugh Jackman's size... I just think he captures the personality and essence of Wolverine. If they had cast someone else perhaps it still would have been okay, but HJ defined the role with his acting - not his size.

As for the Superman/Supergirl height discussion, there was always going to be some commentary on the casting. Nobody is ever completely happy with the casting of a legend like Superman. I do think the height critique is a little petty, considering we've yet to see live action. But articles need some type of clickbait to attract an audience.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, tv echo said:

If Superman is supposed to be about 6'3" or 6'4", then the height differential in that pic is about right.  MB is 5'8" without heels, so with those heeled boots, she should be at least 6' tall.

Isn't that the point? Instead of having a visual similar to the comics where Superman is a towering presence over pretty much every other character, you have a Superman that's roughly the same size as Supergirl. 

1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

It's more shocking to see James Olsen being bigger than Superman. 

supergirl-clark-kent-jimmy-olsen-2.jpg

You're absolutely right, Jimmy Olsen is taller than Clark Kent...oh man that's not going to go over well at all. LOL

• Love 2

I think someone commented it was the angle, that they're practically the same height. But yeah, I'd expect Jimmy to be slight compared to Clark. You know what could have solved this? DR as Superman. No reason for him not to be on Earth 3, is there?

• Love 1
(edited)

Ironically, according to his bio, Mechad Brooks is the right height to play, Superman, he's 6'3. Tyler Hochlin is (according to his bio) 6' (but given Hollywood he's probably under 6'.

Edited by Morrigan2575
7 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It's more shocking to see James Olsen being bigger than Superman. 

supergirl-clark-kent-jimmy-olsen-2.jpg

He looks more Jimmy Olsen than Jimmy Olsen does.

MB has superhero shoulders.

• Love 8
(edited)

Or they just could have made Winn Jimmy Olsen and scrap MB who isn't that great of an actor, has no chemistry with anybody, and doesn't resemble Jimmy Olsen in the slightest.

Still annoyed they've made so many changes in s2 instead of the most obvious one.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hypable report on SDCC panel: "Musical Anatomy of a Superhero" (July 21), which included Blake Neely, composer for Arrow, Flash, LoT and Supergirl...

For my first panel of the day, I chose to attend the 4th Annual Musical Anatomy of a Superhero in the Indigo Ballroom, which was at that point an easy walk-in. This event featured several famed composers who work in TV and film – specifically action and superhero scores – who gathered to discuss their craft and most recent projects. Panelists included John Powell (How To Train Your Dragon,) Tyler Bates (Guardians of the Galaxy,) John Ottman (X-Men: Apocalypse,) Blake Neely (Supergirl,) and Tom Holkenborg (Deadpool.) Clips were shown and each composer deconstructed the sound behind the particular scene they worked on – for example, Neely explained how, when working on the Supergirl and The Flash crossover episode, when Barry and Kara meet, he took the bass line from the Supergirl score to ground the piece because it’s set in that world, and then layered Barry’s theme on top, as the “invading” party. Some choice quotes included Powell revealing that his theme for Jason Bourne was inspired by Matt Damon’s ass — more specifically, the speed and rhythm that he walked — and Holkenborg pitching his idea for the Deadpool score as “I found something that sounds like Miami Vice vs the Beastie Boys but on acid.”

Hypable report on long line for Ballroom 20 for DC TV panels on Saturday (July 23)...

One of the biggest disappointments of the weekend was my inability to get into Ballroom 20 for Supergirl. Saturday’s block of DC television shows with a closely-shared fanbase meant that the line for the room stretched out of doors and under the tents with little to no movement for hours — no one was clearing out to make space, all day. And guess what I didn’t have for this panel? A reserved seating pass. I’m aware that this is a little bit #champagneproblems and that the majority of people slog it out in line all day in order to see their panel of choice. I’ve been there. I’ve slept out overnight for Hall H (for, oh god, Glee) and we had Hypable staff this year lining up all day Friday to get in for WB and Marvel on Saturday, but Ballroom 20 rarely sees this much difficulty and I simply did not factor in enough queuing time. If I’d known in advance it would be this tight, I would have had to choose what to prioritize and probably had to dedicate the day to lining up. As it went, I kept tabs on the line — firstly on Twitter, through the helpful and hilarious @Ballroom20Line Twitter account, and then with my own eyes after getting out of Conival. At about 2:45pm it became evident that I was not going to get in for Supergirl, despite the fact that I’d hoped to cover it for the site. That’s SDCC though — there will always be things that you want that you don’t get — but the fact that I’d spied on the Supergirl signing at the WB booth that morning and spotted my Broadway bae Jeremy Jordan sitting next to Teen Wolf alum and new Superman Tyler Hoechlin definitely salted the wound.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Also re: the bubble butt suit and Hoechin's casting - it is indeed ironic that Mehcad Brooks looks more like Superman than Superman - bar that one thing that would have comic fanboys in a meltdown. Can you imagine what would happen if a black actor was cast as Superman?

17 minutes ago, kismet said:

Saw a pic on twitter of SA in the Arrow suit walking the red carpet... so the CW must have bought Arrow or him a surfboard too...

SA wasn't there. That was photoshopped.

Yes, that's completely different and not copying Marvel at all...

Suicide Squad Mid-Credits Scene Confirmed
Lucas Siegel   07/28/16
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/07/29/suicide-squad-mid-credits-scene-confirmed/

No spoilers here, but when you finish watching Suicide Squad, you’ll want to stay in your seats. Now that the film has started screening, we have confirmation that there's a scene in the middle of the credits. After the credits sequence rolls (that's also called the "bumper," the part before the plain black-and-white names and characters part rolls), using the same stylized hyper-colored imagery they’ve used in the posters and character art, there’s one more scene waiting for you on the other side. It’s pivotal and important, too.

There is not, however, an after-credits scene. While Marvel Studios frequently makes use of both, giving a major story beat in the mid-credits, and an extra tease or sometimes a joke post-credits, it seems DC Films/WB is not following suit. Of course, this is also based on early screenings, so it could change after the film itself is released. We’ve reached out to Warner Bros. for confirmation, and should they provide it, will update.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

As we know, both Damien Darhk and Malcolm Merlyn will be returning to appear on LoT as part of the Legion of Doom (as well as Leonard Snart) and that Sara will have grudges against both of them - Darhk for killing Laurel, and Malcolm for killing Sara.  She will especially want to avenge her sister's death. We also know that we'll meet Darhk in 1942 and presumably we'll meet Malcolm in the past as well.  Both Darhk and Snart are dead in the present time. But here's the thing - we already know that Sara cannot kill either Darhk or Malcolm in the past.

If she kills Darhk in the past, then he and his Ghosts never come to Star City - then Team Arrowless never ask Oliver for help, Oliver & Felicity stay in Ivy Town and get married, and Oliver never becomes Green Arrow. 

If she kills Malcolm in the past, he never drugs Thea to kill Sara - then Sara never dies, Laurel never becomes Black Canary, Sara never becomes White Canary, Laurel never dies, and Arrow's whole S5 theme of legacy goes out the window. Or maybe Thea never exists at all.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, tv echo said:

As we know, both Damien Darhk and Malcolm Merlyn will be returning to appear on LoT as part of the Legion of Doom (as well as Leonard Snart) and that Sara will have grudges against both of them - Darhk for killing Laurel, and Malcolm for killing Sara.  She will especially want to avenge her sister's death. We also know that we'll meet Darhk in 1942 and presumably we'll meet Malcolm in the past as well.  Both Darhk and Snart are dead in the present time. But here's the thing - we already know that Sara cannot kill either Darhk or Malcolm in the past.

If she kills Darhk in the past, then he and his Ghosts never come to Star City - then Team Arrowless never ask Oliver for help, Oliver & Felicity stay in Ivy Town and get married, and Oliver never becomes Green Arrow. 

If she kills Malcolm in the past, he never drugs Thea to kill Sara - then Sara never dies, Laurel never becomes Black Canary, Sara never becomes White Canary, Laurel never dies, and Arrow's whole S5 theme of legacy goes out the window. Or maybe Thea never exists at all.

I could see them doing that but it would be pretty lame imo. 

32 minutes ago, tv echo said:

It's the same thing as with Savage in season 1. They're travelling through the past but you know it's pointless because he's needed after that. I assume Malcolm will live. He's an Arrow villain and if the unimaginable happens and he actually dies, it will have to be on Arrow. But I'm all for Sara killing Darhk. Why should Oliver have all the fun? For my money, pastDarhk will get into time travelling as well since he's dead in the present as you point out.

If they let Sara kill Malcolm in the future it will make me 95% okay with his continued presence in the Arrow present.

That said, I've always assumed that they were waiting to have Oliver kill him at the end of season five as a sort of full circle completion of the quest he started in season one.

• Love 1

I don't think Sara will be allowed to kill Malcolm. He is probably reserved for Oliver to kill, which I believe is appropriate and authentic to the story. But I definitely think Damien is going to die at the hands of Sara. Sara should be able to avenge her sister's death.

• Love 1

Malcolm is the reason Oliver's life went to shit. Malcolm is responsible for the deaths of all of Oliver's loved ones either directly or tangentially because Malcolm sank the Queen's Gambit and orchestrated the Undertaking. 

Robert:  Murdered by Malcolm when Malcolm sank the Queens' Gambit. It just happened to have two other victims in Oliver and Sara.

Tommy: Malcolm orchestrated the Undertaking, murdering his own son and Oliver's best friend, along with 500 other citizens of the Glades.

Moira: Slade Wilson did the deed but if Malcolm hadn't sunk the Queen's Gambit, Oliver would not be on the island and he doesn't meet Slade.

Thea: IMO, Thea has had the 2nd worse fate because of Malcolm. He destroyed her mentally and emotionally even after he "saved" her. He compelled her to murder Sara via mind-control drugs. He is directly responsible for her murder at the hands of Ra's Al Ghul because she killed Sara. 

Sara: She is a murderer and she was murdered because Malcolm sank the Queen's Gambit.

Felicity: She is shot and paralyzed by Damien Darkh. If Malcolm never becomes Ra's al Ghul, he never gets into an arrangement with Damien Darkh.

Laurel: Damien Darkh killed her because he was in league with Malcolm. Laurel does not become BC if Malcolm doesn't sink the Queen's Gambit.

Oliver: Is not on the island if Malcolm doesn't sink the Queen's Gambit. Oliver's life was destroyed or very nearly destroyed because of Malcolm and Malcolm alone.

So for me, Oliver must kill Malcolm. There can be no one else.

• Love 6

Calista Flockhart has signed on to return for Supergirl’s second season, but as a recurring guest star, EW has learned.

Flockhart will appear in multiple episodes beginning with the Oct. 10 season 2 premiere. The Brothers & Sisters and Ally McBeal alum will join production in Vancouver next week.

“Supergirl wouldn’t be Supergirl without the amazing Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg says. “We are so excited Calista has agreed to continue on the show when she can. We and the audience love to see her on screen.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/01/supergirl-calista-flockhart-season-2-cw

• Love 2
21 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So for me, Oliver must kill Malcolm. There can be no one else.

.. and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...  :D 

• Love 7

Actually, I was thinking recently that The Flash is more like Harry Potter. It's the story about a boy who grew up without his bio parents, living in a "foster" home, but who always wished that he had his parents back. The new Flashpoint reality of happy Barry living with his bio parents is like Harry's happy vision of standing with his bio parents in the Mirror of Erised. Also, the boy discovers that he has magical powers/superpowers and that he's special. Will he use those powers for good or evil? And the Reverse Flash is like Barry's Voldemort. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, looptab said:

.. and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...  :D 

Admittedly, I don't know all that much  about Harry Potter but I do understand that reference. I don't see that parallel with Oliver and Malcolm. There is no prophecy. No great destiny that Oliver was born into. Oliver's life was destroyed and he became The Arrow because Malcolm is a murdering murderer who murdered Robert. ***

The only reason Oliver didn't kill Malcolm was Tommy. Tommy thanked Oliver for not killing Malcolm, even though Oliver thought he had killed him, hence Oliver's no kill rule honoring Tommy. He broke that rule for Felicity and but was hung up on not killing Malcolm later because of Thea and the "blood father" thing. But now. IMO, that ship has sailed.  Malcolm will stay alive only as long Oliver can use him but there is no prophesied bond that cannot be broken unless Oliver kills himself to kill Malcolm. I'll be fucking pissed if they go that route.

*** Which is why I love "Arrow" Oliver. He wasn't born with special powers or became a meta-human in some way. He is just a human dude forced to survive or die. He chose to survive. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Admittedly, I don't know all that much  about Harry Potter but I do understand that reference. I don't see that parallel with Oliver and Malcolm. There is no prophecy. No great destiny that Oliver was born into.

I think the comment was made tongue in cheek. 

• Love 3

I didn't realize it was a joke.  Ah, well.

The Queens and Merlyns lives are intertwined because of human choices not prophecy and magical destinies (thank gods). 

Oliver chose to not kill Malcolm because of Tommy. That's not prophecy, that's love and trying to honor his best friend. Oliver chose to not kill Malcolm out of love for Thea and a misbegotten notion that blood fathers matter more to Thea. He was wrong. He knows that now. He doesn't need Malcolm to be alive for his life to go on. 

Malcolm won't kill Thea because it's his daughter. Malcolm couldn't/wouldn't kill Oliver because he knew Oliver and thought of him as a son for a long time and I think Malcolm loves Oliver on some level as a son and treated him better than Tommy at times. I think the bloom is off that rose now. 

A very human and bereft Malcolm went crazy after Rebecca was murdered. He had Robert killed to advance his own agenda out of his need for vengeance and a warped notion of rebuilding the world as he sees it. All of these are human choices born of human failures and inability to cope with loss. That's just plain old batcrap crazy not prophecy fulfillment.

The show could easily have anyone else kill off Malcolm if they want. There is no requirement to not do that, but if they do it won't be emotionally or IMO storytelling wise, fulfilling to this viewer.   But clearly mileage varies here.

Edited by catrox14