Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

I got this from the Arrow forum.

ETA: Deadline article, includes a little bit of additional information, including that the SPN stars have deals through season 13, so you guys might not be off on the season 13 thing.
http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-cw-supernatural-vampire-diaries-renewed-1201718699/
From the article :  I hear Supernatural stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles already had a deal in place that covers Season 12 and 13. The CW president Mark Pedowitz, a big fan of the show, had said repeatedly that the long-running series would continue for as long as the two stars want to do it.

Apparently the boys have deals through s13. That's new information! I'll bet they call it a day at 13. I'm cool with that

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I can't decide if I'm happy about this yet. I mean, I didn't really want the show to get canceled nor did I actually expect it to get canceled--and I'd feel bad for all the crew who'd have to go find work--but I also kinda feel like it's maybe time. I don't know, gonna have to chew on it for a bit.

ETA: That's interesting about their contracts. I wondered if they've been signing two-year deals like they did after S6 or just one at a time since S10. So, we'll probably get another season and then some? Interesting.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

Deals through Season 13? Jeez, I seriously hope this is not true. 

If this gets Jensen a shot at an Emmy finally....I'll take it!

If he wanted that, he seriously, seriously has to stop re-signing for this show. It`s a career-killer at this point. His popularity has frankly already gone down being to this show and fandom compared to a couple years ago. And nothing in the last few years outside of it.

If this gets Jensen a shot at an Emmy finally....I'll take it!

Wait, I'm not sure I understand...are you saying Jensen's best shot for an Emmy is with this show continuing or are you saying that it would be best for the show to end so he can get another job that would put him in contention for an Emmy?

I have no opinion either way, just like clarity sometimes.

Deals through Season 13? Jeez, I seriously hope this is not true. 

If he wanted that, he seriously, seriously has to stop re-signing for this show. It`s a career-killer at this point. His popularity has frankly already gone down being to this show and fandom compared to a couple years ago. And nothing in the last few years outside of it.

How has his popularity gone down?  I don't think they will ever be given an Emmy for this show, these types of shows are usually not even nominated.  But not sure why he won't eventually go on to do other things if he so chooses.

How has his popularity gone down?  I don't think they will ever be given an Emmy for this show, these types of shows are usually not even nominated.  But not sure why he won't eventually go on to do other things if he so chooses.

Because that decision is not entirely in his hands.  After the shows ends, I expect he'd have more luck finding work behind the camera instead of in front of it.  

Jared, on the other hand, I have no idea.  He doesn't seem to have expressed much interest in anything other than acting, but maybe I'm missing something.

How has his popularity gone down?

He used to be way more acknowledged and talked about in fandom than he is now. Couple years ago, he was often mentioned and praised for his performances in reviews. This has decreased also. He hasn`t marketed himself as hard as the other actors - which I don`t have a problem in and of itself - and the show hasn`t marketed him in some time so he has lost ground. And outside of the show he has done nothing for years.that would get him noticed industry-wise. 

Wait, I'm not sure I understand...are you saying Jensen's best shot for an Emmy is with this show continuing or are you saying that it would be best for the show to end so he can get another job that would put him in contention for an Emmy?

I have no opinion either way, just like clarity sometimes.

A s12 for any show is rare. If they can write something great for him IMO the longevity will work in his favor.

A s12 for any show is rare. If they can write something great for him IMO the longevity will work in his favor.

For a show that IS on Emmy radar perhaps but the response this one is getting by people who have once watched and even liked it but have given up since has been "my god, this is still on? how pitiful".

And if Jensen wasn`t nominated back in say Season 2 for the Finale when he actually submitted himself and had about a 1000 % more promo push and support from the network and even better focus and material in the show, then it will not happen now when voices have surfaced that claim he didn`t get to play other versions of his character because he doesn`t have enough range etc. Back then, that wasn`t questioned, now it is. I`ve been watching him on this show since it started and the peak for him in promotion has come and gone. 

• Love 1

For a show that IS on Emmy radar perhaps but the response this one is getting by people who have once watched and even liked it but have given up since has been "my god, this is still on? how pitiful".

That's just fans being dicks in general about a show they just don't like anymore.  But I think given it's resurgence this season...and even though I personally have mixed feelings about this season, it has been better reviewed.  I think "Baby" could be submitted for an Emmy and they are fools if they don't.  

The show has run longer now than MASH or Cheers. Supernatural is NOT a bad show IMO. It's beautifully filmed. The acting is top notch. Genre shows are getting noticed now (see Daredevil and Jessica Jones). I will be very interested to see if the CW makes a big deal about their 12th season or not. 

• Love 1

That's just fans being dicks in general about a show they just don't like anymore.  But I think given it's resurgence this season...and even though I personally have mixed feelings about this season, it has been better reviewed.  I think "Baby" could be submitted for an Emmy and they are fools if they don't.  

The show has run longer now than MASH or Cheers. Supernatural is NOT a bad show IMO. It's beautifully filmed. The acting is top notch. Genre shows are getting noticed now (see Daredevil and Jessica Jones). I will be very interested to see if the CW makes a big deal about their 12th season or not. 

Daredevil and Jessica Jones are riding the Marvel wave, though.  Supernatural has no such push.

The problem with a show running this long is that Jensen could play Dean in his sleep.  Need I mention Susan Lucci?  She was nominated year after year after year, but the criticism was always that she was just playing herself.  When she finally won, it was for pity, not because she had done anything exceptional that year.  (That is an opinion, of course.  It was a couple of years after Erica's addiction story line, which should have gotten her the Emmy instead.  And yes, I know that the daytime and primetime Emmys are different, but they're not.  Not really.)

I do not think that longevity will help Supernatural in the minds of the Emmy voters.  They are stuck in their ways until something/someone gets a huge audience or critical push.  I don't think SPN is even on their radar.  TPTB would have to do something outrageous -- and I mean something bigger than the faux-shock that Carver loves so much -- to get their attention.  Killing a minor character won't cut it, no matter how much Jensen emotes.

I'm sorry, I love Jensen, but I'm also a realist.  There's more to winning an Emmy than just being a good actor.

• Love 3

I was surprised the CW didn't make a big deal of their 10th season, myself. I mean they did the little retrospective, but nothing else. I get it, the show does fine in the ratings either way, so why spend the money. But, I'm not holding my breath they will suddenly start doing so at 12 seasons.

I do think it's a feat for this little show to run so long, I'm just not sure if any show should run this long? But, I wouldn't say it's a bad show, just not a show I'm always happy to see anymore.

Personally, I would doubt Emmy voters take into account the longevity of the show and I would think it would actually work against Jensen getting an Emmy after so many seasons of not even getting a nomination. It's just not that kind of show that usually gets recognized like that. I'm happy with my belief Jensen is doing good work even if he doesn't get the award.

As a side note: if they did nominate Baby, what category would you suggest submit it in?

• Love 1

Genre shows are getting noticed now (see Daredevil and Jessica Jones).

Sure but IMO they deserve to be noticed because the writing is much stronger. There hasn`t been a single episode this Season I would say deserves an Emmy nom writing-wise.  

Supernatural is NOT a bad show IMO.

I never considered it a good show, it just had a sense of charme and fun going for it and potential that could be reached. Now it is the same show without the fun, charme and potential. So if it was nominated, I`d actually find that really unfair to more deserving shows that also never got an Emmy nom. 

Edited by Aeryn13

I don't know, I didn't think the writing was any stronger on Jessica Jones, myself--haven't seen Daredevil yet. I thought Jessica Jones was pretty typical if not lazy from a story aspect. The acting was good, there's a noir aspect to the show I got sucked into and I thought they did some creative stunt work. but the scripts themselves I thought were full of holes and lots of silly contrivances. I might even say that it was worse than Supernatural in some ways.

But then again, I thought they were being recognized more for their technical aspects than their writing. Plus, they're non-traditional shows that seem to be working, for the most part. I thought it was just buzz due to this new age of television, myself. But, I haven't really been paying all that much attention to the attention they've gotten, so I could be way off base on that.

People have been dissing Jensen's acting chops? Wow. Where? Certainly not here.

As for people being tired of it...well, you have catrox, who's only a few years into the show...me, who binge-watched last spring, Binns who just finished bingeing a month ago. Netflix has been a godsend to the show, constantly bringing in fresh blood, and I suspect that's why the renewal.

I think this season has been one of the most cohesive since S07; one big, over-arching myth arc that has been to the forefront of many episodes and at least mentioned in other episodes. It has felt, to me, as if they actually sat down and planned the myth arc for the whole year before the season started filming. I didn't get that impression for 08 and 09, and I still feel as if 10 took a wild left turn halfway through the season in terms of how they planned to resolve the arc.

• Love 2

Well, I guess I shouldn't have posted that I thought S12 would be the last until I read all this about a two-year contract. I'd hate to think anyone on the show thinks that Jensen doesn't have the chops to play a different version of Dean, because I think he's an outstanding actor who made the mistake of staying too long in one show on a little network that barely gets four million viewers on its top shows. I believe he could play any character anywhere and knock it out of the park!!!

Well, I guess I shouldn't have posted that I thought S12 would be the last until I read all this about a two-year contract. I'd hate to think anyone on the show thinks that Jensen doesn't have the chops to play a different version of Dean, because I think he's an outstanding actor who made the mistake of staying too long in one show on a little network that barely gets four million viewers on its top shows. I believe he could play any character anywhere and knock it out of the park!!!

He's already played different versions of Dean. Leviathan!Dean, Future!Dean, Demon!Dean (two different iterations) shapeshifter!Dean who was not at all like Dean.

Jared can play Meg but he had Nicki Aycox's template to build from.  Just like Misha is working from Pellegrino's.  Same with Lucifer!Sam. That's no slight to either Jared or Misha.

I dunno, to me it would be quite the mind screw to change the character you've played for 11 seasons just enough that the audience goes...NAH MAN that's Dean but nah...that's not right. I think that's amazing.

People have been dissing Jensen's acting chops? Wow. Where? Certainly not here.

As for people being tired of it...well, you have catrox, who's only a few years into the show...me, who binge-watched last spring, Binns who just finished bingeing a month ago. Netflix has been a godsend to the show, constantly bringing in fresh blood, and I suspect that's why the renewal.

I think this season has been one of the most cohesive since S07; one big, over-arching myth arc that has been to the forefront of many episodes and at least mentioned in other episodes. It has felt, to me, as if they actually sat down and planned the myth arc for the whole year before the season started filming. I didn't get that impression for 08 and 09, and I still feel as if 10 took a wild left turn halfway through the season in terms of how they planned to resolve the arc.

Me too I started last spring too.

• Love 1

I can understand that people want Jensen to be recognized for his acting skills, because I think most of us feel he's a great actor, but I'm not sure he's all that concerned about it.  I think it's very possible that he likes where he is in his career, and doesn't have any burning desire to be a bigger star than he currently is.  I would feel differently if I thought he were just phoning in the role now, but I personally don't think he's doing that.  He's still having fun with it, and still finds it challenging enough.  Plus, I think they're a bit proud of themselves that the show has lasted as long as it has, and is gaining new fans all the time.  That can't be said about most shows that have lasted as long as SPN has.

He's been in the business long enough to know what he wants out of his career, I would think.  And maybe having a steady job that offers security, fun, friendship, acting challenges, directing opportunities, etc., all the while keeping him a little bit off the radar is exactly what he wants right now.  For a shy guy, this might be just perfect for him...enough fame, but not too much.

• Love 6

I can understand that people want Jensen to be recognized for his acting skills, because I think most of us feel he's a great actor, but I'm not sure he's all that concerned about it.  I think it's very possible that he likes where he is in his career, and doesn't have any burning desire to be a bigger star than he currently is.  I would feel differently if I thought he were just phoning in the role now, but I personally don't think he's doing that.  He's still having fun with it, and still finds it challenging enough.  Plus, I think they're a bit proud of themselves that the show has lasted as long as it has, and is gaining new fans all the time.  That can't be said about most shows that have lasted as long as SPN has.

He's been in the business long enough to know what he wants out of his career, I would think.  And maybe having a steady job that offers security, fun, friendship, acting challenges, directing opportunities, etc., all the while keeping him a little bit off the radar is exactly what he wants right now.  For a shy guy, this might be just perfect for him...enough fame, but not too much.

I don't know the man.  I watch and read interviews and con videos. I see pictures that are posted on social media when he's with fans and out and about with Jared. That shy guy from 10 years ago doesn't seem quite so shy anymore. Just my perception.

Who said anything about phoning it in? I sure didn't .

Look at the schlock writing on Big Bang Theory. That doesn't stop Jim Parsons from being nominated for an Emmy award every year and often winning.   I still watch BBT and it's stupid as fuck now but he still makes me laugh and he handles the dramatic moments nicely. Sure it's a comedic role but that doesn't change that he's elevating the material which is exactly what Jensen does EVERY episode. Even when he has to play a damn dog.  I mean seriously.

I'm genuinely flummoxed that holding the opinion that Jensen Ackles work as Dean Winchester, which is equal to the work by actors in 'elite' shows, should be recognized by Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is controversial. 

• Love 1

Catrox, it's not at all controversial to think that Jensen should be recognized for his acting abilities, and to want that to happen for him.  Not at all!  I think we all want that.  Especially when he can act circles around a great many actors who have garnered much more attention.  I just don't think that leaving SPN is going to guarantee him that recognition, that's all.  I don't have a lot of confidence in someone recognizing the genius that is Jensen Ackles, and putting him in a role that would highlight all of his acting skills.

All I ever hear mentioned is how he would have been great in this or that superhero role, and those movies are a dime a dozen now.  I don't think he'd shoot to the fame level people want for him by doing something like that.  Maybe that's my own prejudice against those types of movies, or maybe it's that'd I'd miss seeing him on my TV every week, but I'd rather he did another series over a movie.  But is there a better series out there for him?  I'm not confident that there is. 

• Love 1

Who said anything about phoning it in? I sure didn't .

*snip*

I'm genuinely flummoxed that holding the opinion that Jensen Ackles work as Dean Winchester, which is equal to the work by actors in 'elite' shows, should be recognized by Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is controversial. 

I said that Jensen could play Dean in his sleep, which might have been interpreted as "phoning it in".  

Thinking that Jensen deserves an award is hardly controversial.  Thinking he could actually get one is what most of us are disagreeing with you about.

• Love 2

You know what...I think we all can agree Jensen is doing good work--as are other folks on the show--and we would be thrilled to see him get some recognition. In the meantime, how about we shift the subject a tad since this circling seems to be getting us nowhere.

I was thinking about all the face swaps that have recently been posted and what MysteryGuest said above, "is there a better series out there for him?" Well let's play "Actor Swap!"

The challenge: What current TV role would you like to see Jensen in for just one episode? The caveat being--and the fun, IMO--the actor currently doing that role must then come play Dean Winchester for a week. 

I'm gonna suck at this because I haven't been watching much current TV lately, but mostly rewatching older shows, so I'll have to think on it a bit...what do you guys think?

• Love 1

I was thinking about all the face swaps that have recently been posted and what MysteryGuest said above, "is there a better series out there for him?" Well let's play "Actor Swap!"

The challenge: What current TV role would you like to see Jensen in for just one episode? The caveat being--and the fun, IMO--the actor currently doing that role must then come play Dean Winchester for a week. 

Well, I was going to put him in a sit-com -- but Tom Lennon on Supernatural?  No, I don't think so.  ;-)  (Tom Lennon is on the reboot of The Odd Couple.  The idea of Jensen as uptight Felix makes me chuckle.)

The obvious would be to switch him with Shemar Moore on Criminal Minds, isn't it?  Maybe the monsters are too similar.  (ETA  Hey, best of both worlds!  He switches with Thomas Gibson!  That way Jensen can play uptight and chase monsters!)

How about Ryan Eggold (Tom Keene) on The Blacklist?  I might enjoy seeing Jensen verbally spar with James Spader.

I'll have to think about Jared and Misha though.  (Hey, why can't they join in the fun?)

Edited by Demented Daisy

For my personal amusement, I would do a swap with Sleepy Hollow`s Tom Mison. 

I'll have to think about Jared and Misha though.  (Hey, why can't they join in the fun?)

Oh yes! The more fun the better. I shoulda thought of that.

Okay, a few off the top of my head...I hope they all are still current show...God, I'm so far behind these days:

• Comedy, eh? Well, I think it could be hilarious swapping Jensen with Matt LeBlanc on Episodes. It could be pretty entertaining to see Matt try and drive the car and maybe we'd get a Dean "How you doin'" out of the deal. Jensen would get to do some comedy, drama and, surprisingly, a few stunts too. I do like how Jensen handles comedy.
  • Or, swapping him with Aden Young on Rectify. That is not a comedic role, what-so-ever, but very internal. Seems like Jensen could do something with that. And, it might be nice to see Aden get out of his head and do Dean.
  • This isn't a current show, but I always thought it would be interesting to see Jensen on Justify in some way. Damon Herriman (Dewey Crowe) might work nicely for the swap. It'd be even more entertaining if Damon used his native Aussie accent when being Dean. ;) 

Misha's hard for me. I keep seeing him on a kid's show of some sort, but I don't watch kid's shows much anymore and can't think of one in particular. I think I'm blurring Misha and Castiel a bit too much on this one, though.

Jared, though, I think it would be funny to swap him with someone like Carlos Valdes on The Flash. Just because I think it would be funny for Dean to have a Hispanic brother for just one episode. Hey, you might be onto something with Shamar Moore and Jensen, DD? ;)

I don't really watch many current shows so I don't know which actors I would swap.  I do watch The Amazing Race however and I would love to see Jensen and Jared as a team, or Jensen and Misha.  I bet they would kill it.

On a slightly different topic.  I recently read Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining, and it got me thinking that if they ever made a good movie version* of The Shining Jensen would be perfect to play Jack, the dad.  A man struggling with alcoholism and gradually descending into madness.

*No the Stanley Kubrick version is not good in my opinion.  It may be a good horror movie, but has very little to do with what the book was about.  The mini-series was just not very well done.

Edited by BlueMeanie

Misha's hard for me. I keep seeing him on a kid's show of some sort, but I don't watch kid's shows much anymore and can't think of one in particular. I think I'm blurring Misha and Castiel a bit too much on this one, though.

Yeah, my first thought with Misha was Jim Parsons because Castiel and Sheldon Cooper have that whole not-understanding-humanity thing in common.  But that's not the point, you know?  I'm trying to think of something he could do that's quite different from Cas.  I don't watch, but how about one of the guys on Hawaii 5-0?  That could work for any of them!  Can you imagine any of them in sunny Hawaii?  ;-)

With Jared, I was thinking about Charlie Weber (Frank Delfino) on How to Get Away with Murder.  Frank is a rather unsavory character, but not necessarily a bad guy.  He's not good, either.  He has an... interesting, shall we say, moral compass, but in a different way from Soulless Sam.  Frank knows that he's not a good person, but he does what he has to do, in his mind.  It's complicated.  ;-)

I don't really watch many current shows so I don't know which actors I would swap.  I do watch The Amazing Race however and I would love to see Jensen and Jared as a team, or Jensen and Misha.  I bet they would kill it.

On a slightly different topic.  I recently read Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining, and it got me thinking that if they ever made a good movie version* of The Shining Jensen would be perfect to play Jack, the dad.  A man struggling with alcoholism and gradually descending into madness.

*No the Stanley Kubrick version is not good in my opinion.  It may be a good horror movie, but has very little to do with what the book was about.  The mini-series was just not very well done.

Loved Doctor Sleep.  I'd rather someone tackle it than try The Shining again.  I could see Jensen as Danny.  Jared too, for that matter.

Edited by Demented Daisy

Loved Doctor Sleep.  I'd rather someone tackle it than try The Shining again.  I could see Jensen as Danny.  Jared too, for that matter.

I thought about that too, I just don't see him as Danny, but I think it's just because he doesn't look the way I pictured him while reading the book.  He does look kind of like how I pictured Jack.

I don't watch much current TV, so I haven't a clue who to swap Jensen out with.  I'm not even sure that I could come up with a new idea for what I'd like to see him do.  Something dramatic would be great, because he's very good at that, but straight drama would mean we'd miss his comic timing, and vice versa.  The more I think about it, Supernatural really is a unique situation.  There's plenty of opportunity for drama, action, tragedy, sentimentality, etc., while at the same time being pretty damn funny at times.  That's not easy to pull off, and I think they do a great job.

I'd like to see someone do  "The Dresden Files" right, movie or TV. And I think Jared was made to play Harry Dresden. The books have a great combination of comedy, horror, magic, suspense. Besides, I want to see Jared play Mab's knight at the Winter Court of the Sidhe.

Jensen should be in a western, because he had so much fun in Frontierland (and said how he's always loved westerns.)  Also, I'd love to see Jared making a horse look tiny again.  But I don't know of any current westerns...how about a remake of Bonanza, with JDM as Pa, Jensen as Adam, Misha as Hoss and Jared as Little Joe?  Or am I showing my age too much?

• Love 1

How about Jensen playing Danny Regan in "Blue Blood" and lets see Donnie Wahlberg as Dean.  Jensen would still be the older brother, but now he has a whole family riding his butt. 

I loved to see him in Hawaii 5 0...He could be Danny the complainer when Steve drives his car too fast and we could see how Sam could handle a complaining brother when

Scott Caan takes over as Dean.  How would Crowley deal with that Dean.  Then Jensen comes back wondering WTF?  lol  Oh this might be too much fun.  :)

I don't really watch many current shows so I don't know which actors I would swap. I do watch The Amazing Race however and I would love to see Jensen and Jared as a team, or Jensen and Misha. I bet they would kill it.

This NEEDS to happen.

• Love 2

Jensen should be in a western, because he had so much fun in Frontierland (and said how he's always loved westerns.)  Also, I'd love to see Jared making a horse look tiny again.  But I don't know of any current westerns...how about a remake of Bonanza, with JDM as Pa, Jensen as Adam, Misha as Hoss and Jared as Little Joe?  Or am I showing my age too much?

Jensen and Jared as Bret and Bart Maverick.

Or... Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry from Alias Smith and Jones

• Love 5

Jensen and Jared as Bret and Bart Maverick.

Or... Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry from Alias Smith and Jones

Oh I how I loved Alias Smith and Jones...that would be so cool.  Sometimes I think the problem with so many of the modern shows is how dark they all are.

How about Starsky & Hutch...Jared would be Hutch and Jensen would be Starsky.  JDM could be the Captain...now who would be the best Huggy Bear?  lol