Type keyword(s) to search

Updated Cases: 2017-2018 Season

• Start Topic

During the winter of 2002, the quiet Cape Cod community of Truro was rocked, when a former New York City fashion writer was found murdered inside her home. As correspondent Susan Spencer reports, almost everyone in the town became a suspect, when police decided to take a look at the entire male population.

This originally aired in 2007, and is airing with updated information, as mentioned below

Nearly 16 years after A-list fashion writer Christa Worthington was murdered in her Cape Cod home, the man convicted of killing her is seeking a new trial. 48 HOURS and Susan Spencer investigate in an updated encore of “Murder on the Cape” to be broadcast as part of a double feature, Saturday, Nov. 18.

Ya I didn’t find it totally unbelievable that she might have. I may have had some reasonable doubt if I was on the jury, at least based on what was shown and knowing that sometimes people really do confess to things that didn’t happen. So sad to imagine that baby there with her body. 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Phoebe70 said:

Who didn't this woman sleep with!?!? 

Why oh why would she want to sleep with anyone else when she had the amazing Tony Jackett?

She was definitely a piece of work.  Sounds like she was independently wealthy, and Grandma left her a house with an ocean view on Cape Cod.  But the inside of the house was a mess.  Didn't look like she ever picked up one of the kid's toys, and (IIRC) her bed consisted of a mattress and box springs still on the floor.  The kitchen was filthy. 

Plus, she had no boundaries when it came to her desires.  She wanted a baby, so she had no problem sleeping with a married man with six children?  Okay, we know he was fertile . . . but he was married to someone else.  Even if he was a cheater, she knew he was married and still had children at home.  Pickings must have been pretty slim on Cape Cod if Tony Jackett was the village Lothario.  His wife is either a saint or REALLY not bright.

Given what we learned about her, I don't have a hard time believing she had consensual sex with the garbage man.  Maybe his buddy had already had his turn and just lifted a few things while waiting for McCowen to have his turn.  (Remember, the DNA was degraded, so maybe they missed something.)  Maybe Christa got mad when she found out the buddy had stolen some stuff.  

Sorry - but if (as her former babysitter said) Christa was such a wonderful mother, it wasn't reflected in the home she provided for her child.  Messy, dirty kitchen, etc.  Whoopee - she never raised her voice to the child.  Mothering is more than a soft voice.  It sounds like the little girl was raised in a better environment.

• Love 14

I agree, AZChristian.  Interestingly, 20/20 just covered this story a few days ago, with much more detail.  Apparently Christa had a diary and they read excerpts of it.  Christa initially didn't want Tony to tell anyone about their affair, but about 2 years after Ava was born she decided he should tell his wife.  She sent horrible letters to his wife saying things like, "The first night I spent with him in bed lasted 8 hours."  Terrible things to write to his wife.  Quite honestly, I have a difficult time feeling sorry for Christa.  I don't care that she was some fashion writer from New York.  To me, she was just a husband-stealing, dishonest woman with a messy house and man issues.  The one that I feel sorry for is her daughter.  They said that Ava was with her mom over 24 hours before they found her.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

I agree, AZChristian.  Interestingly, 20/20 just covered this story a few days ago, with much more detail.  Apparently Christa had a diary and they read excerpts of it.  Christa initially didn't want Tony to tell anyone about their affair, but about 2 years after Ava was born she decided he should tell his wife.  She sent horrible letters to his wife saying things like, "The first night I spent with him in bed lasted 8 hours."  Terrible things to write to his wife.  Quite honestly, I have a difficult time feeling sorry for Christa.  I don't care that she was some fashion writer from New York.  To me, she was just a husband-stealing, dishonest woman with a messy house and man issues.  The one that I feel sorry for is her daughter.  They said that Ava was with her mom over 24 hours before they found her.

THIS ^^^^ That letter was cruel. There are plenty of single men to *u*k

• Love 3

My memory ain't what it used to be.  But I thought she wrote the letters, but never sent them.  Maybe (conjecture) she showed them to Tony and said "If you don't acknowledge our daughter and tell your wife about her, I'm going to send her these letters."

It's hard for me to believe that any woman could read those letters and then have the writer over to her house regularly for Sunday dinner.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

My memory ain't what it used to be.  But I thought she wrote the letters, but never sent them.  Maybe (conjecture) she showed them to Tony and said "If you don't acknowledge our daughter and tell your wife about her, I'm going to send her these letters."

It's hard for me to believe that any woman could read those letters and then have the writer over to her house regularly for Sunday dinner.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Yeah you could be right on that.

• Love 1

You are right she did not ever mail the letters. Man, she was a pig housekeeper, seriously that house made me want to take a bath.  And yes, she did sleep with the garbage man, she slept with everyone. Frankly, I don't think he did it.  Great episode. 

• Love 5

IDK why exactly, but I didn't think the garbage guy did it. Glad she didn't mail the letters, but I'm sure the wife saw this show so the pain came across. Frankly, Jackett seemed kind of scummy. 

• Love 6

Did a psychiatrist brainwash a man to kill her ex-lover? Jacob Nolan sits in prison for trying to bludgeon to death Dr. Michael Weiss, and maintains it was his cousin, psychiatrist Dr. Pamela Buchbinder, who convinced him to do it. What really happened?
It’s a story of a troubled young man who ended up in the middle of a brutal breakup between two psychiatrists, and who claims he was manipulated by one of them into trying to kill the other. “I intended to kill him,” Nolan told Van Sant, of the day he went to the Manhattan office of psychiatrist Dr. Michael Weiss.

I missed the original air date to this one, but I had to comment this time around because Detective Solan's interview at the end where he used the "n" word and stated he hadn't used it in 20 years was the first time in my television watching history that I actually grabbed the remote and paused it so that I could sit there and say "Wow" to myself over and over for a good solid minute. (Which was shortly thereafter followed by "What the hell?" which was followed by me replaying it to make sure I hadn't misheard it.)  

Damn. That was an interview I won't forget anytime soon. It was awful, but good on 48 Hours for letting that be aired unedited.

• Love 4
On 11/29/2017 at 2:41 PM, ari333 said:

IDK why exactly, but I didn't think the garbage guy did it. Glad she didn't mail the letters, but I'm sure the wife saw this show so the pain came across. Frankly, Jackett seemed kind of scummy. 

I had the same thought... How was he convicted? I watched a ID show about the case. I missed the 20/20 episode but it sounds like it was a bit better than the 48 Hours episode. Now I have to figure out how to watch old 20/20 episodes. 

• Love 1

FYI-

Netflix is airing a movie based on this case called "Murder on the Cape."

From what I've heard, it's "loosely" based and getting mixed reviews...which means now I've GOTTA watch it.

...curiosity 'n all?

• Love 2
On 11/29/2017 at 3:41 PM, ari333 said:

I watched the trial, and believe he is guilty and where he belongs.  

• Love 1

The Family

I can't find the thread for when it originally aired, but it is a travesty that Anne Hamilton Bryne is still breathing.  Hopefully, she'll be rotting in Hell soon!

That old guy who continues to visit her because he's one of her followers is also a piece of work.

I'm saddened that Sarah, the child who went on to be a doctor, died at 46, while that bitch Anne is still alive.  It does not seem right.

• Love 1

I want to say that I think 48 Hours did this case, although Dateline might have done it, too.  They always seem to overlap.

After a more than 40-year search, authorities think they have the Golden State Killer in custody

Text of a news update:

Authorities think they have the Golden State Killer in custody
A person believed to be the so-called Golden State Killer -- accused of 12 killings and 45 rapes across California from 1976 to 1986 -- is under arrest, FBI spokeswoman Angela Bell said Wednesday.
Bell would not identify the suspect but authorities in Sacramento are expected to release more information at a news conference scheduled for 3 p.m. ET.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2017 at 8:09 AM, PsychoKlown said:

Why oh why would she want to sleep with anyone else when she had the amazing Tony Jackett?

Unless you are joking, why on earth would anyone think that Tony Jackett is amazing? He’s scum. Not saying she was a great person as she seemed to sleep with many men but there’s nothing “amazing” about Jackett.  

• Love 1
On 11/26/2017 at 8:09 AM, PsychoKlown said:

You must be joking!??!  Nothing is amazing about that jerk, absolutely nothing!

On 11/21/2017 at 12:53 AM, valdawn said:

Ya I didn’t find it totally unbelievable that she might have. I may have had some reasonable doubt if I was on the jury, at least based on what was shown and knowing that sometimes people really do confess to things that didn’t happen. So sad to imagine that baby there with her body. 

I think the single black woman on the jury was harassed and perhaps she voted but not the way she felt. A new trial should be granted at the very least. 

• Love 1
On 11/6/2017 at 8:17 PM, saoirse said:

The spot to discuss the 'reruns' aired throughout the 2017-2018 season, marketed as 'updates'!

Why can’t the stations just add “rerun” or previously shown to the information? I am kind of tired of seeing the same shows over and over. 

• Love 1