Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E07: Hugh Grant, Jason Momoa, Sarah Millican, Kelly Clarkson

• Start Topic

Graham Norton is joined by actor Hugh Grant, appearing in Paddington 2, Jason Momoa, starring as Aquaman in Justice League, comedian and writer Sarah Millican and triple Grammy Award-winner Kelly Clarkson, who performs Love So Soft from her album Meaning of Life.

I was glad Jason Momoa was the person they sent for Justice League because he's always fun.  He's actually been around for a long time (got his start on Baywatch, and was a main character in Stargate Atlantis which is where I learned he was a pretty funny guy).  The couch really ran the gamut,  Hugh Grant has such a dry humor while Sarah Millican run cruder and Momoa is just plan charming.  Kelly Clarkson was pretty fun as well.  The next episode doesn't sound that great though.

• Love 3

And she did giggle a bit, LOL. Though who can blame her?

Graham seemed to especially enjoy himself, which I think is one thing that sets his show apart. Sometimes other hosts just go through the motions. Of course, doing a show once a week is different from doing one five days a week.

• Love 4

I'm upset that they didn't convince JM to doff that shirt. It would have been a public service! 

I go back and forth with Hugh. But since I saw what a lovely performance he gave in Florence Foster Jenkins, he's on my good side again.

I loved how much Kelly was invested in the Red Chair stories. I mean, that kind of thing is a killer to building a story to a punchline, but her enthusiasm is adorable. And not for nothing: 15 years of indenture to Simon Cowell et al? Sheefuckingeesh.

• Love 4

I was thinking about that 15-year thing, and I think the contract is for five albums. If you figure three years per album—recording, promoting, and touring—that’s 15 years. Clarkson was very diplomatic when she said the AI contract has good and bad aspects. 

I hate to say it, but I was underwhelmed by the new song.

• Love 2

pretty good show. i am also hot and cold on hugh grant who is not aging well, on a shallow note. millican was funny. i'd love to read her book but our library in hick - ville usa, will probably never carry it.

i just wish celebrities, well people in general, would stop with the body/bathroom "humor". i don't find it in the least bit funny. i never thought of myself as a prude but good grief can't we keep some things to ourselves? it really brings down humankind in the long run. i don't want to hear about someones asshole. anus, whatever. have a modicum of dignity. we all know we have them, blah blah, but what happened to being polite? sick of it. makes me think less of the story teller.

i just wish celebrities, well people in general, would stop with the body/bathroom "humor". i don't find it in the least bit funny. i never thought of myself as a prude but good grief can't we keep some things to ourselves? it really brings down humankind in the long run. i don't want to hear about someones asshole. anus, whatever. have a modicum of dignity. we all know we have them, blah blah, but what happened to being polite? sick of it. makes me think less of the story teller.

Have you seen Miriam Margolyes?  She's the worst offender; crass, crude and condescending at the same time.  (Miriam lecturing Lilly Allen on how to behave was the pot calling the kettle.) I fast forward through her appearances.  

• Love 2

I need a screen shot of all the faces on the couch at the end of the asparagus story.  That was classic.

I had no idea Jason Momoa was so funny.  <whisper> I do feel robbed after he promised to take the turtleneck off though.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Quof said:

Have you seen Miriam Margolyes?  She's the worst offender; crass, crude and condescending at the same time.  (Miriam lecturing Lilly Allen on how to behave was the pot calling the kettle.) I fast forward through her appearances.  

the name doesn't sound familiar but it sounds horrible.

9 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I need a screen shot of all the faces on the couch at the end of the asparagus story.  That was classic.

I had no idea Jason Momoa was so funny.  <whisper> I do feel robbed after he promised to take the turtleneck off though.

ah yes, more crude juvenile, disgusting, "humor" i was delighted he didn't comment on it. he was the most mature guest there.

4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Have you seen Miriam Margolyes?

4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

I fast forward through her appearances.  

Not me!  I replay them!  I guess MM is not for everybody because I think her appearance with Stanley Tucci and Jimmy Carr is one of GN's funniest episodes.

• Love 6

I was really shocked, just like the audience, when Graham revealed that Kelly had finally completed her contact with American Idol. I knew the winners (and other contestants?) were under contract, but I didn't realize it would last for so long.

I liked her song and her performance.

The show was good but somehow not as good as I expected. Hugh Grant is a good guest, and I generally like Sarah Millican, but things seemed a bit chaotic. I hadn't seen Jason Momoa interviewed before, but I liked him, generally. He has the best twinkly eyes.

I need to see Paddington Bear. I've heard it was very good. After I see that, I'll see Paddington Bear 2.

I agree with the dislike of the big-time potty language humor. I'm not a fan. Instead of anus, I wish Grant had just said bottom or ass. That's enuf.

I do not get the asparagus story. My first thought was that he had eaten asparagus a while ago -- I think he said how long ago -- and the spear didn't get processed by his system for some reason. Why would he tell the story if someone had inserted the spear into his ... anus. Just bizarre.

When the first red chair guy said he helped disabled people bank, it was obvious that Graham thought he said something else. Any idea what he thought he said? I'm assuming it was something naughty based on the reactions. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AuntieL said:

When the first red chair guy said he helped disabled people bank, it was obvious that Graham thought he said something else. Any idea what he thought he said? I'm assuming it was something naughty based on the reactions. 

My take was that the joke was that it sounded like the red chair guy said that he made it easier for people with disabilities to "bang" instead of "bank". I had the same thought as soon as the guy said it, heh!

Also wanted to add something I forgot to post earlier - I thought it was very gentlemanly of Jason Momoa to swap seats on the couch with Sarah Millican so that she could sit in the middle. He was a very pleasant surprise - I had only known him as Khal Drogo on "Game of Thrones" before seeing him as Aquaman in "The Justice League."

Speaking of "Game of Thrones" - any fans out there know Dothraki who can interpret what Jason said to Sarah and Hugh? :)

• Love 1

Classic YMMV - she’s one of my favorite guests. She has no qualms about spilling tea. For example, on one show she discussed how was treated dismissively by Arnold Schwarzenegger on a movie set. I wish more people shared these things publicly. And the time she called out Lilly Allen, IMO, Lilly was being kind of bratty.

I always love Hugh on this show. I’ve heard that he can be a real jerk in real life and indeed, he has admitted how many of his former co-stars hate him. But on this show, he is witty and gracious to his fellow guests, and he truly seems to be enjoying himself.

Jason was a sweetie pie. I admit I started with low expectations - I only really knew him as Karl Drago - but he was sweet and seemed to enjoy himself. Lisa Bonet is a lucky lady.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, AuntieL said:

My guess was 'wank', not 'bank.'

12 hours ago, frogzapper said:

Also wanted to add something I forgot to post earlier - I thought it was very gentlemanly of Jason Momoa to swap seats on the couch with Sarah Millican so that she could sit in the middle. He was a very pleasant surprise - I had only known him as Khal Drogo on "Game of Thrones" before seeing him as Aquaman in "The Justice League."

I'd never heard of him, but instantly liked him because of the seat-swapping thing.  I noticed he did it with Kelly Clarkson, too.

It was gentlemanly, but also practical--I think it would be hard for someone to be able to see around him if seated on the outside of him, and was surprised that the show arranged it that way.

• Love 4
On 11/24/2017 at 3:40 AM, frogzapper said:

My take was that the joke was that it sounded like the red chair guy said that he made it easier for people with disabilities to "bang" instead of "bank". I had the same thought as soon as the guy said it, heh!

I'm fairly certain Graham thought he said wank.

Attica beat me to it!

Edited by sugarbaker design