Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Advanced Thanatology

Diane
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, catrox14 said:

So, how is it that Cas is in his meatsuit after the boys burned it in 13.01?

How did it get recreated? Did the Empty Entity give him his form? Did he make him a new one? Is there some other version of Cas that was floating around the Empty that he let Cas use?

My guess is that the Empty-keeper rebuilt Cass like God did so many times previously. Or, maybe it was never God, but always the Empty-keeper working on God's behalf?

1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

My guess is that the Empty-keeper rebuilt Cass like God did so many times previously. Or, maybe it was never God, but always the Empty-keeper working on God's behalf?

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea that the Empty keeper did that for God. He seemed pretty eager to say that God had no say so over the Empty so I wonder what would make him acquiesce or even as a favor to God in the past. 

I think it's more like God rebuilt Cas before he ever got to the Empty in s4 and s5. Which brings up another question, do reapers reap angels? Or is it only Death him/herself who can reap an angel.  Or is that all God level reaping?  And do the reapers send them to the Empty or deliver the angel to the Empty Keeper? Or does God sends them to the Empty?

11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Which brings up another question, do reapers reap angels? Or is it only Death him/herself who can reap an angel.  Or is that all God level reaping?  And do the reapers send them to the Empty or deliver the angel to the Empty Keeper? Or does God sends them to the Empty?

That's a good question since reapers have only been shown to schlep human souls in the past. I'm guessing reapers have access to the Empty since Billy was bragging she was going to dump Sam and Dean there, but the level of access is an interesting thought.

14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea that the Empty keeper did that for God. He seemed pretty eager to say that God had no say so over the Empty so I wonder what would make him acquiesce or even as a favor to God in the past. 

TBH, I don't think it was the Empty-keeper who rebuilt Cass previously, but was more musing than anything. But, it could be the Empty-keeper and God are besties, you just never know? ;)

26 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

That's a good question since reapers have only been shown to schlep human souls in the past. I'm guessing reapers have access to the Empty since Billy was bragging she was going to dump Sam and Dean there, but the level of access is an interesting thought.

I was thinking about that and i remember Billie said one day a reaper would make  mistake and toss them into the Empty which makes me think they do have some access to the Empty but that humans aren't meant to go there. Which makes it even more strange that demons would go into the empty when they were actually formed from humans. Hmm.maybe I'll take that for all season thread.

2 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think we're just supposed to believe it was Jack's powers that brought Cas back.  Even Jack wasn't quite sure how he did it.  Sam briefly questioned it, but I don't think even they care as long as he's back.  

I don't think Jack's powers were able to reconstitute Cas. Honestly, if he had that power wouldn't Dean and Sam just be like, UM how did you do this? I feel like this is either a big plot hole or it's gonna be a big gotcha reveal that will destroy us all.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:
  1. Honestly, if he had that power wouldn't Dean and Sam just be like, UM how did you do this?

Sam did bring it up to Dean, and he just said he wasn't going to question how it happened, he was just glad Cas was back.  I don't deny that it's a giant question mark, but I personally don't see them addressing it down the road.  Jack wished for Cas to come back, and he did.  I think that's all we're going to get.  It absolutely begs the question, "why kill him to begin with, and then go to the trouble of burning his body, just to bring him back from the dead?", but this is SPN.  IMO, it will get the hand-wave treatment.

• Love 1
On 12/31/2017 at 5:01 PM, MysteryGuest said:
On 12/31/2017 at 4:39 PM, catrox14 said:

Sam did bring it up to Dean, and he just said he wasn't going to question how it happened, he was just glad Cas was back.  I don't deny that it's a giant question mark, but I personally don't see them addressing it down the road.  Jack wished for Cas to come back, and he did.  I think that's all we're going to get.  It absolutely begs the question, "why kill him to begin with, and then go to the trouble of burning his body, just to bring him back from the dead?", but this is SPN.  IMO, it will get the hand-wave treatment.

I suspect it's either a red herring and Cas is all aok or it's foreshadowing something terrible to be revealed later. At this point whilst I don't want either to look stupid, it just seems pointless for it to not come up again in a way that bites them in the ass.

Second time Ive watched this and my opinion remains the same. Terribly written, boring, cliche and the contrast between Deans scene with Billie and Cas' with the Empty guardian creates a high level of disrespect for Castiel and his fans. 

Good job at being utterly terrible Yockey! By far the worst episode of this season so far . 

Edited by Wayward Son
3 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Second time Ive watched this and my opinion remains the same. Terribly written, boring, cliche and the contrast between Deans scene with Billie and Cas' with the Empty guardian creates a high level of disrespect for Castiel and his fans. 

I'm a Castiel fan as you know and I don't see the disrespect to Castiel in this episode considering he didn't make an appearance until the end after he calls Dean. What do you consider disrespectful in this episode?

I've re-watched it twice and I will again before the next new episode airs-because this one was the best that S13 has had to offer, IMO; and I'd like to head into the second half of this season on a positive note-and this, even though the spoilers for it have held very little positivity for Dean or anything Dean-related-in this Deanfan's opinion, anyway. 

I hope that this one is not S13's rendition of Regarding Dean-meaning that it's the last of anything good for Dean that we will get from these so-called "professional writers" for the rest of the season.

• Love 4

Parts I have to ignore to stay sane.  Most of it I loved.

Dean and Billie.... oh my.  This is not just a case of a person who is not allowed to die, or who has become immortal and bored with it. It’s a case of someone who lives in a universe where life is short and hard, a prize taken away before anyone has had enough of it. This person assumes, since he is not important enough for second chances or extensions, that his life will be especially short and hard. As Dean puts it  “It doesn’t matter. I don’t matter.”

But he is told that he can’t die because he is far, far too important to die. And Dean glances up at that entire library of Ws is devoted just to him.  It does indeed seem as though she is cruel in dangling the possibility of death – of many deaths – in front of him.  He is told that without him, the universe would be toast. And to emphasize this perhaps just to placate him and give him motivation to continue on they even bring back his best friend. 

Problem is, Dean is still human and that kind of heavy can break your mind. He’s not alright at the end  - - “I’m pretty far from okay”, but he does have the tools to keep going once he sees Castiel at the phone booth, an embodiment of at least one of his prayers answered against all odds. 

A genuinely thought-provoking and re-watchable episode (bits of it anyway). What shape he’ll be in for the rest of the season is a whole other story. He's had a couple more blows since Advanced Thanatology aired.

Scenes with Billie = Jensen at the top of his game.  The master of subtlety. 

My favourite so far this season.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm a Castiel fan as you know and I don't see the disrespect to Castiel in this episode considering he didn't make an appearance until the end after he calls Dean. What do you consider disrespectful in this episode?

I wrote about my utter hatred for this dung heap of an episode in bitch vs jerk when it first aired. Here’s the post :)

Edited by Wayward Son
4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I wrote about my utter hatred for this dung heap of an episode in bitch vs jerk when it first aired. Here’s the post :)

I went and read that. I still don't understand what his episode has to do with disrespecting Castiel specifically given he wasn't actually featured in the episode until the final scene. Are you pissed that Dean was resurrected even though he actually wanted to stay dead vs Cas not wanting to remain dead in the Empty and having to talk his way out of it of his own accord. Was there not enough Cas in this episode?  I understand disliking an episode if it focuses too much on a character you hate (you as in the general you, not you you). I hate Lucifer centric episodes myself.

I'm just wondering are you confusing this with Big Empty? Or is your resentment just as a result of comparing Dean's encounter with Billie to Cas' encounter with the Empty Creature?  That's what has me confused.

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I went and read that. I still don't understand what his episode has to do with disrespecting Castiel specifically given he wasn't actually featured in the episode until the final scene. Are you pissed that Dean was resurrected even though he actually wanted to stay dead vs Cas not wanting to remain dead in the Empty and having to talk his way out of it of his own accord. Was there not enough Cas in this episode?  I understand disliking an episode if it focuses too much on a character you hate (you as in the general you, not you you). I hate Lucifer centric episodes myself.

I'm just wondering are you confusing this with Big Empty? Or is your resentment just as a result of comparing Dean's encounter with Billie to Cas' encounter with the Empty Creature?  That's what has me confused.

My resentment lies with the bit in bold. On top of that I find it to be a poorly written and directed episode, which is pretty boring. 

2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

My resentment lies with the bit in bold. On top of that I find it to be a poorly written and directed episode, which is pretty boring. 

Okay. I don't understand that resentment myself which, going back and looking at the thread in B v J I explained. I don't see the disrespect to Castiel at all in this episode. JMHO.

Just curious and again, not trying to talk you out of your opinion just wondering which part of the writing did you dislike?

Just now, catrox14 said:

Okay. I don't understand that resentment myself which, going back and looking at the thread in B v J I explained. I don't see the disrespect to Castiel at all in this episode. JMHO.

Just curious and again, not trying to talk you out of your opinion just wondering which part of the writing did you dislike?

The overall episode really. I found the case of the week generic and cliche. I will admit the Dean/Billie scene in and of itself is better than the rest of the script, but due to my resentment of the contrast involved it isn’t enough to save the episode from being disliked.

24 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The overall episode really. I found the case of the week generic and cliche. I will admit the Dean/Billie scene in and of itself is better than the rest of the script, but due to my resentment of the contrast involved it isn’t enough to save the episode from being disliked.

Fair enough. Thanks for responding :)

32 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The COTW was generic, for sure, but it was not the purpose of the episode, so it didn't bother me. It was just a vehicle to introduce Billie as Death, and (I'm presuming) foreshadowed the rest of the season. It demonstrated the depths of Dean's despair, and IMO, set him up to be so grateful for Cas's return that he's not willing to question it. Maybe more foreshadowing?

I can see being pissed off as a Cas fan, since the Empty basically told him the world (and the Winchesters) were better off without him, while Death told Dean he was too important to die, but that's not a failing of this episode. That's on Meredith Glynn and The Big Empty.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The COTW was generic, for sure, but it was not the purpose of the episode, so it didn't bother me. It was just a vehicle to introduce Billie as Death, and (I'm presuming) foreshadowed the rest of the season. It demonstrated the depths of Dean's despair, and IMO, set him up to be so grateful for Cas's return that he's not willing to question it. Maybe more foreshadowing?

I can see being pissed off as a Cas fan, since the Empty basically told him the world (and the Winchesters) were better off without him, while Death told Dean he was too important to die, but that's not a failing of this episode. That's on Meredith Glynn and The Big Empty.

I take this one, The Big Empty, and Tombstone altogether when I look at Cas' and Dean's arcs but I'll take the rest of my reply to B v J.

I thought this one was OK, but it felt like filler and I'm not sure I'll watch it again. The kids' deaths were pretty grim and sad, and that gave the episode some weight. I go back and forth on how much I liked the conversation between Billie and Dean. Even though the library of fates idea isn't directly at odds with free will, I thought it was kind of a dry and hokey idea. I know this show loves the symbol of the writer as God, narratives as fate/world-making, etc, but personally find it kind of boring and limiting. YMMV.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, DittyDotDot said:

I don't know, I thought the point was that Dean isn't finding joy in anything right now, but he was trying his damnedest to feel something, anything to make him care. So, Dean went overboard and tied one on attempting to find some joy and have a little fun like he usually can do, but it didn't work and all he had to show for his efforts are a hangover. Same with the bacon in the morning, he loaded up on the bacon, which he loves, trying to feel that feeling he gets from bacon, but it wasn't working either.

Probably true. Although I think he actually did find the creature comforts pretty satisfying. I mean, not satisfying in some kind of deep, soul-soothing way. But satisfying in that he did genuinely find them enjoyable and wasn't purely going through the motions the way he has before (like in S5 for example). He wanted to stay out drinking and club hopping even when Sam went home, apparently -- I guess because he actually does just like drinking and club hopping, not because he was trying to prove anything to anyone (even himself). I think he's finding these creature comforts nice but kind of tertiary/irrelevant/frivolous.

But I also don't get the sense that Dean is just numb right now, like he's been in the past when he's been feeling really beaten down. I think he's genuinely just trying to accept the reality of the situation without getting caught up in the bigger "meaning" of it all. I think in Dean's perspective, he's Candide at the end of the story, "cultivating his garden" without living in a falsely rosy fantasy or seeing everything through a glass darkly. Personally, I think that he's not actually as clear-eyed as all that, but I think that's what he's going for rather than simply being numb.

On 11/13/2017 at 10:36 AM, catrox14 said:

Except it's really dangerous to leave a drunk, passed out person on the floor alone.

IMO, that's overstating it. Dean wasn't in danger sleeping it off right there in the room. I have a couple ex-boyfriends who used to get themselves into a similar state from time to time, and I categorically refused to play nursemaid to either of them -- and frankly didn't think and still don't think it was my job to do so. It's not Sam's job, either. IMO Dean's drinking habits aren't exactly the healthiest and Sam doesn't need to be more codependent and enable it more than he already does.

What I think the show implied happened was just that Sam and Dean went out together, Sam finished his partying for the night and went home to bed, but Dean stayed out for a little more fun (at the Clam Diver)...eventually, Dean stumbled home in the wee hours and managed to get himself into the room before passing out entirely. In Sam's place, I would have woken up, seen Dean got home safe, checked to see that the door was locked, and went back to sleep. It's not really that serious IMO. I think the show finds it endearing (or expects the audience to find it endearing) in a completely uncomplicated way that Dean likes to get plastered and act like a horn dog.

Personally, I do find it complicated, because I think that some of the horn dog stuff is gross and his drinking habits are disturbing, but then, I'm not a big fan of Pig!Dean in general, whether it comes to strip clubs or gross eating or getting sloppy drunk (or etc) and am never that happy to see that side of him. But it's a well-established part of his character by now, so OK.

• Love 2
(edited)

This was on tonight and dammit, it's still my favorite ep of s13. The MoTW was actually creepy and scary. The teen actor playing opposite Jensen was fantastic.  Sam was really freaked out over Dean not waking up.

That scene between Dean and Billie was one of the best of the whole season IMO. Dean looked both terrified of and angry with Billie.  That's a great feat of acting IMO.   The score was sublime. 

And the closing scene of Castiel's return....so great. 

I freaking LURVE this episode.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 6

ETA: Dean being burned by a red haired witch...

spoilers for the rest of s13

Spoiler

I was thinking about Sam being the one that kills Rowena and.maybe that's why Sam ends up killing Rowena...because she kills Dean?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

This was on tonight and dammit, it's still my favorite ep of s13. The MoTW was actually creepy and scary. The teen actor playing opposite Jensen was fantastic.  Sam was really freaked out over Dean not waking up.

That scene between Dean and Billie was one of the best of the whole season IMO. Dean looked both terrified of and angry with Billie.  That's a great feat of acting IMO.   The score was sublime. 

And the closing scene of Castiel's return....so great. 

I freaking LURVE this episode.

I watched it too. First summer time re-watch for me and, tbh, I was waiting for it, and it might be my favorite of the season also(I really liked The Thing, too, though).

The nonsense with Sam was hard to get through, but yeah it was that scene with Billie and Dean's complete disregard for his own life both when the ghost doc came at him with the drill and when he decided to use the syringes from Dr. Robert that he had conveniently stowed in his duffel-those were the scenes I was waiting for. Jensen brought Dean's utter bone-weariness with the life like nobody's business in those two scenes and better than he ever had before, IMO; and especially when Billie was calling him on it as being "different" this time-his "What do you want me to say?" was pitch-perfect and I even remember thinking it and actually feeling it for him right before he said it.

And IA that this was a terrific MOTW episode, too. I really felt for both the kid and his mom and I could definitely see how this one would have been the tipping point for Dean. 

• Love 8

This was a really good case of the week. Pointless, but good. Reminded me of season one in the opening scene. Good times. And the ghost stuck halfway through the door because of the salt line was a fun visual. I don't think that's happened before. I like the reaper's reaction to seeing Dean in the veil. Shawn the ghost was really likable, wish he could've been saved. "Are you keeping me dead?" is one of the most Supernatural lines ever. I like Billie saying "The Dean Winchester I know and love." The score during their conversation was really interesting. "We won't talk about it later. You know that." Ah, Sam acknowledges their communication issues. Great ending scene. Love the music, love the odd camera angles in the car and that they don't even need words in that reunion. 

• Love 1

I definitely liked this episode a lot. it was a very good Dean eppy, and I've always liked Billie, so glad she got to be Death. Her library was cool, and of course Cas at the end!!!!!!!!!! I really liked the last episode, too. The shapeshifter psychiatrist visit and how Dean softened toward Jack. And of course that convo he had with Sam at the  end. So perfect! The Cas in the empy scenes were really fun. Misha is a really good actor, too. I bet he had fun in that scene beating and taunting himself. I'm just so glad Cas is back again. I will forever be a Destiel, and their reunion scene is so full of beautiful fanficky angst. 

• Love 2
On 11/9/2017 at 10:29 PM, Wynne88 said:

Loved that Sam checked the reviews for the strip club; seemed perfectly in character. 

This cracked me up. I sorta wanted him to keep elaborating. "One reviewer recommended Destiny highly."

On 11/10/2017 at 3:19 AM, Roselle said:

Whoever is responsible for it (Yockey?), this was a real callback to what makes SPN so addictive - it included a virtual tick-list of the essentials...Opportunities for JA's unique emotional acting to absolutely shine; a decent (albeit in the end, simple) ghost story; brotherly concern; a bit of slapstick in the dodgy mastication and sex-mad cliches; long, loving shots of the Impala (beautiful shiny reflection of the lit cross towards the end there. Oh, and a beautifully synchronised door slam - I always imagine the actors want to bust out a high 5 when they hit it so perfectly!). And CAS!!!! 

I wasn't keen on the clueless-Dean-for-plot elements - after all these years he really doesn't need his brother to tell him to burn stuff - and yes, Billie will never fill her predecessors awesome shoes, but otherwise this felt like a blast from the past, it showed a writer who actually cared, and was great.

Agreed. I have really struggled through a lot of S12 and the beginning of S13 and this one felt old school while advancing the plot in an interesting way. I loved the old school asylum ghost story. The creepy mask. The lobotomized ghosts.

On 11/10/2017 at 6:31 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

Yes! I know I give Sam a lot of grief in the BvJ thread, but this episode here? This is exactly what I was talking about - not only that I actually liked both brothers, but that I felt they liked each other. I miss that so much, and the bone thrown (heh, I said bone thrown) in this episode was delicious. There's a world of difference between condescending and indulging, teasing and mocking, and it was bridged beautifully this time.

Count me among those who was not a fan of Billie (the character, not the actress), but I think bringing her in as Death was a great idea. The fact that the fourth and arguably most powerful Horseman is now a woman aside, it was a SPN-logical way of bringing back the character. No hand-waving that Dean didn't really kill Death. No she-was-really-Death-all-along. It's a bit of a simple explanation, but it works for me. I will miss Julian though - he was the best. I wonder if just the fact of becoming Death changed Billie's nature against her will (for want of a better term). She still really wants to hate the Winchesters, but something bigger than her (bigger than Death!) wants -- needs -- them in the world. But despite her own nature, she was still almost-kind to Dean, begrudgingly respectful, if exasperated. Kinda like, you know, Death. *g*

I agree with your whole post, but especially these points. I loved the way the guys interacted here. I loved that Sam was trying in a clunky way and that Dean appreciated it. There were some bits that weren't great (the bacon stuffing for example) but I have learned to wave that stuff off lest I drive myself crazy. Lol

I actually do like Billie, though they took her teeth towards the end, and I loved her in leather and badassery as Death. I will absolutely miss Julian as well, but I liked the way this closed the loop without undoing Death's death. Agreed that she was compassionate in a way. 

On 11/10/2017 at 8:24 AM, Myrelle said:

I loved that Dean's reaper was was all "Oh no! Dean Winchester is in the Veil..." and then Death showed up.

OMG, I legit laughed at that moment.

On 11/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, MysteryGuest said:

I agree that Dean's eating an entire pound of bacon in one sitting was a bit much, but he did have a slice of cantaloupe along with that bacon, so it's all good!  As for alcoholic Dean, I found it interesting that he didn't partake of the morning beer or the bottle of whatever Sam gave him in the restaurant.  Obviously, he had tied one on the night before, and my guess would be he hit that strip club without Sam.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure we'll ever get the writers to steer clear of some of the more obvious tropes.  There must be a faction of fandom that enjoys watching Dean wear his food.  

I think it was ridiculous but can't pretend I haven't shoveled bacon down my throat after a big night out. 😆

On 11/12/2017 at 9:23 AM, Quark said:

"Burned by a red-haired witch".

Please let that mean Rowena is alive and well! I miss the evil cow.

I mean, AT LEAST SOMEONE REMEMBERS HER. 😭

I need her to come back so she can go out in a blaze of glory.

On 11/12/2017 at 12:41 PM, Katy M said:

Didn't Dean have a bra. They may have gone out together at first, but Dean would never ever ever ever ever let Sam accompany him to have sex.  Nor would Sam want to.  

I mean he's not Crowley. *still shuddering over that*

On 11/13/2017 at 9:19 AM, DittyDotDot said:

Like I said, it would've been nice for Sam to at least give him a pillow, but I don't have a problem with Sam not disturbing Dean and letting him sleep it off while he went and talked to the kid. I thought that was nice of Sam, myself. 

Leaving him on the floor felt a bit college/younger than these guys to me, but I just don't have it in me to break the decision down. It has probably been discussed longer than it took to write and shoot (and I love y'all for doing the work for me, it was interesting to see the multiple perspectives). 

On 11/13/2017 at 6:40 PM, MysteryGuest said:

Personally, I think the drunken Dean scene was supposed to be funny.  He's got the bra wrapped around him and that whip in his hand and he's snoring away on the floor. 

I want to make a joke about the whip being a Retcon after Dean got sent to a BDSM dungeon as a diversion but I cannot remember which episode it was (and I have half convinced myself I made it up). As an aside, googling keywords to find the Dean dominatrix/BDSM scene comes back with a lot of entries that are not relevant to my inquiry. 😆

On 11/15/2017 at 10:15 AM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I thought that was a very nice thing of Sam to do.  Someone mentioned upthread that strip clubs close at 2am...that depends on the state/county/etc you're in.  In some places,, they stay open until 4am am or later, so Dean could have been out quite late.  Or early.  

Or 24 hours in Nola. 😬

On 12/12/2017 at 4:00 PM, takalotti said:

W

After they left Shawn's house and pulled up to the hotel, my closed captioning said "Baby purring" ???

This made me so happy. There was another one in the first episode that said something like "Baby rumbles". I meant to mention it. 

Despite some flaws and the dark story, I really liked this one. It had a lot of the things I love and I really enjoyed the Billie as the reaper twist. I am glad Castiel is back. JA obviously nailed the emotions. I was worried we were getting more secrets and lies outside of the house but that got resolved too. Overall, a strong episode for me.

• Love 2

I loved this episode too. So much goodness. I thought that the final scene with the guys driving Baby to Steppenwolf's "It's Never Too Late" was fantastic! And then, Cas! I've saved this one on my DVR, so I can re-watch when the spirit moves me. There are way too few episodes this season (as well as later seasons, alas) worth a re-watch for my taste.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I loved this episode too. So much goodness. I thought that the final scene with the guys driving Baby to Steppenwolf's "It's Never Too Late" was fantastic! And then, Cas! I've saved this one on my DVR, so I can re-watch when the spirit moves me. There are way too few episodes this season (as well as later seasons, alas) worth a re-watch for my taste.

This is my favorite episode from season 13 and the only one that I can rewatch and enjoy the entire way through from the Dabb era. The case of the week is thankfully demon and angel free, a wonderful Dean centric story and great moments between Dean and Sam.

Spoiler

Episodes like this make me even sadder thinking about how things went from bad to worse leading to the trainwreck of a show that we have now.

• Love 2