Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E18: The Real Vikings Of Orange County

• Start Topic

Yea, her body isn't the issue. It's her PERCEPTION of her body that's the issue. She's dressing for a body half the size of the one she's got. She could still look pretty great if she understood what was flattering to her current body size/shape. 

• Love 4

I finally saw this episode :) Their last night was great. Except for odious Peggy.

A man´s choir is a very normal thing in Iceland, but I´d love to be in a little room with them singing, don´t get me wrong, I´ve never been that up close with a choir. I saw one semi-famous guy, he was standing besides Shannon when she went up to sing.

I´ve been to the place where they were at, the Njálu setur or Saga Center, when I was at Uni studying among other things the Icelandic Sagas. We went there once on a field trip. The Njálu setur is named after the longest, best and most famous Icelandic saga called the Saga of Burnt-Njál. It is so awesome, with lots of characters but what I´m sure these ladies would find interesting is that one of the episodes at the start of the story revolves around a young man from Iceland who went on a "viking trip" and he stayed with the king of Norway and the king of Norway´s mother (the kings mom) is a cougar, and she seduces this young man and then gets really angry when he leaves to go to Iceland to marry his girlfriend. She puts a curse on him so that he "can´t get it up" and that makes his girlfriend/wife finally divorce him, and all that takes place basically for one of the bad guys in the story to get really powerful, because she marries him and since she is from a powerful family they are all against the good guys who are allied with the heroes of the story. In the viking age after Iceland was settled, the sons of powerful families usually got an all expenses paid trip to go "viking" somewhere overseas. They most often ended up with the Scandinavian or English kings and were very heroic. So even though some people claim that Icelandic people were not vikings, that is not true at all :)

The stories are filled with all kinds of stuff like that. One of the most famous female character from the Icelandic saga is in The story of Burnt´Njal, and its heavily implied that she was abused by her foster father (people used to raise their friends kids for some reason, in the viking age, and then gave them back to their parents as teens) and he continued to mess up her life after she was an adult, and she becomes one of the most horrible people in the Sagas. BUt it´s still very sad because of what happened to her before that. She´s this smart, cruel and really beautiful blond woman who wears pants, and is therefore called Hallgerður long-pants.

The stories are based in some truth, from being passed orally from generation to generation, and they happen in the 9.-11 centuries but were not written down until the 13-14th centuries. Some of these people, mostly the heroes, definitely existed, but the drama is probably padded on to the main story to make it so insanely dramatic and fun. The reason we can still enjoy them is that the old norse language that was spoken all over Northern Europe is basically the same as modern Icelandic :) It was a written language sooner than most other languages of the world.

Almost every fjord and village in Iceland has a saga (story) written about it. Mine has less than most places, but the one it does have has the most dramatic divorce in all the sagas. The real housewives would be stunned by the way some women of the viking age got rid of their no-good husbands.

I hope you don´t mind me writing an essay on this, the thing is that the real housewives and the Icelandic Sagas will probably never align for me ever again! :)

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, halkatla said:

I finally saw this episode :) Their last night was great. Except for odious Peggy.
A man´s choir is a very normal thing in Iceland, but I´d love to be in a little room with them singing, don´t get me wrong, I´ve never been that up close with a choir. I saw one semi-famous guy, he was standing besides Shannon when she went up to sing.
I´ve been to the place where they were at, the Njálu setur or Saga Center, when I was at Uni studying among other things the Icelandic Sagas. We went there once on a field trip. The Njálu setur is named after the longest, best and most famous Icelandic saga called the Saga of Burnt-Njál. It is so awesome, with lots of characters but what I´m sure these ladies would find interesting is that one of the episodes at the start of the story revolves around a young man from Iceland who went on a "viking trip" and he stayed with the king of Norway and the king of Norway´s mother (the kings mom) is a cougar, and she seduces this young man and then gets really angry when he leaves to go to Iceland to marry his girlfriend. She puts a curse on him so that he "can´t get it up" and that makes his girlfriend/wife finally divorce him, and all that takes place basically for one of the bad guys in the story to get really powerful, because she marries him and since she is from a powerful family they are all against the good guys who are allied with the heroes of the story. In the viking age after Iceland was settled, the sons of powerful families usually got an all expenses paid trip to go "viking" somewhere overseas. They most often ended up with the Scandinavian or English kings and were very heroic. So even though some people claim that Icelandic people were not vikings, that is not true at all :)
The stories are filled with all kinds of stuff like that. One of the most famous female character from the Icelandic saga is in The story of Burnt´Njal, and its heavily implied that she was abused by her foster father (people used to raise their friends kids for some reason, in the viking age, and then gave them back to their parents as teens) and he continued to mess up her life after she was an adult, and she becomes one of the most horrible people in the Sagas. BUt it´s still very sad because of what happened to her before that. She´s this smart, cruel and really beautiful blond woman who wears pants, and is therefore called Hallgerður long-pants.
The stories are based in some truth, from being passed orally from generation to generation, and they happen in the 9.-11 centuries but were not written down until the 13-14th centuries. Some of these people, mostly the heroes, definitely existed, but the drama is probably padded on to the main story to make it so insanely dramatic and fun. The reason we can still enjoy them is that the old norse language that was spoken all over Northern Europe is basically the same as modern Icelandic :) It was a written language sooner than most other languages of the world.
Almost every fjord and village in Iceland has a saga (story) written about it. Mine has less than most places, but the one it does have has the most dramatic divorce in all the sagas. The real housewives would be stunned by the way some women of the viking age got rid of their no-good husbands.
I hope you don´t mind me writing an essay on this, the thing is that the real housewives and the Icelandic Sagas will probably never align for me ever again! :)

10004009_680293872009785_2110504099_n.jp

• Love 6
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Anne Thrax said:

OMG, Peggy must have done her own dye job.  Watching this episode, I noticed how uneven her hair color was, but not until I saw this photo did I notice she has dye stains all along her hairline.  You'd think with HER lousy hair and all the conspicuous spending, Peggy would spend a few of those bucks on color and highlights from a decent salon that knows enough to clean the hair dye off your face before you leave.

Peggy is SO homely - looks like a hag.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Someone needs to photoshop on some big ol' fake eyelashes

IDK, I think someone said something about it in the Vicki thread.  Maybe NC?

There's a recent picture of Brianna in Vicki's thread and she looks a lot healthier.  I'm not saying that just because she dropped weight.  She just looks healthy and happy to me in the picture posted instead of her usual sick and exhausted.  Maybe her medical condition is in maintenance phase now instead of active care and she isn't going to the doctor all the time so it isn't so important to be near them anymore.

She's still a fatty and probably always will be - like mother, like daughter. Miss Piggy and Brianna are clueless about how to dress. They think tight = looking thinner - LOL - both of them are idiots.

(edited)
On 11/8/2017 at 7:44 PM, notnowimbusy said:

The medication didn't keep her from being alert enough to record the baby crying, or for that matter, it didn't stop her from driving!   Peggy was looking for a fight, and she got one!    And, if she wanted someone to have her back, why didn't Lydia speak up?   What was she going to say, (insert fairy princess voice), "I spoke to Peggy this afternoon and when Kelly said I'm going to have my daddy talk to your daddy, Peggy thought you were disrespecting her dead father.  And she heard you laughing (leaving out the fact that Peggy came out of her room to see them and tell them to stop laughing at her)".  . . Instead she sat there.   So, bottom line, when did Peggy start taping she had already had an altercation with the other women.  Then she heard the baby cry - let her start recording.    Medication seems to have had little to do with it, except that she wasn't taking the right stuff.

Kelly is not my favorite, but I totally got her point. It was obvious she wasn't trying to be hurtful. She was pointing out that Peggy's suggestion to have their husbands sort out their issue was ridiculous because they're two adult women. Lydia instantly understood and she wasn't even there. 

Peggy absolutely seems to be looking for a fight between being her confusing explanation of what led to her mastectomy, asking Shannon if David had ever been dishonest about anything, her treatment of the women not going to be with Vicki first thing, insisting they were laughing at her when they were just being silly and laughing at things like Tamra peeing herself, mom shaming of Megan, it's endless. 

I think it's wonderful Peggy is so proud of her heritage and culture is important to her, but for someone who came to the states as a BABY, her accent and the way she communicates make much less sense than Dorit's. 

My heart does go out to her for all the trauma she had leading up to filming. I can understand how it was too much for one person. I'm not sure if she returns yet, but I'd be curious to see how she would navigate a second season after having some more time to grief her father and feel healthy and comfortable in her body. 

I didn't like Diko approaching Shannon (albeit gently), but I agree with the post that it is refreshing to see a couple who actually likes each other! That's so rare on these shows. Peggy isn't my fave Housewife, but Diko is one of my favorite husbands/boyfriends. He's so much more of a gentlemen than the likes of Brooks, Spade, Terry, Ken, Mauricio, PK, etc. 

Edited by RealHousewife
(edited)

On 11/14/2017 at 4:23 PM, halkatla said:

I saw this now because someone posted on this thread yesterday. No offense, but the Old Norse language is not by means anywhere near one the oldest written languages in the world (as you mentioned it dates from the 14th century AD). The Sumerian, ancient Egyptian, and Sanskrit date from the second millennium BC/BCE, thousands of years before. The Greek language is written (a language which is spoken uninterruptedly for thousands  of years) from at least since 1750BC. And there are many more

Edited by ZettaK