Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Girls Night Out

Trini
  • Start Topic

Other re-watch thoughts:
I hope that both parties get a do-over, even offscreen. It was great to see Iris with other ladies outside STAR Labs; and Cisco obviously took his Best Man responsibilities seriously, and planned out an evening that while tame, was something that Barry would enjoy. I felt bad for him that Dibny ruined that.

Not a lot of Barry/Iris moments, but the play marriage was cute!

Instead of all the exposition, it might have been good to have flashbacks to Caitlin's/KF's time away from the team and with Amunet.

Guy with a tentacle coming out of his eye socket is one of the creepiest villains they've done.

Speaking of effects; not only did Barry not wear the Flash suit for the whole episode, he didn't do any 'speeding' either (or at least they didn't use his speed VFX). Cisco didn't use his powers either -- but he hasn't much since Barry got out of the speed force. They really are powering down everyone for the budget.

I liked Killer Frost and Amunet's outfits. Costume dept. still doing better by the women than the writers.

If they deleted the word 'feminism' from the dialog, there would have been that much less cringe.

Well, Amunet was fun to watch; and Sackhoff was clearly having fun playing her. Looking forward to seeing her again -- but as a real threat. The confrontations just weren't well thought out. Both Iris and Felicity have been shown to be smarter than 'just show up with guns', and it wasn't a good look that they just let Amunet and the Weeper literally walk away. As noted, it would have been another thing if she escaped custody instead. But I'm glad the show is still committed to Iris as a leader.

They really going to have to do more show not tell with the Thinker/DeVoe very soon. I need more evidence that he "made" these new metas instead of everyone just saying it. Anyway, at least now we know that he can move around outside his HQ.

1 hour ago, johntfs said:

I'm not sure I blame her for killing Black Flash.  That said, wherever Frost's head space was last season, it's clearly not there now.  She's not really even Killer Frost, more Assault and Battery Frost.

Yep; that the retconning I was talking about.

I did get a kick out of them referring, many times, to nicknames not being Cisco approved.  That was funny.

Ralph was fun too.  I laughed at his skeezyness.  And drunk Barry was hilarious, "I'm the Flash"!!!!.  What was the original plan for the bachelor party?  Sit around, drink, and watch old home movies?  Kinda lame, even for a tame bachelor party.

The feminism was thick and choking, in my opinion.  Especially with the daughter/ stripper storyline.  Ugh.  They were trying way too hard thus episode.

56 minutes ago, Trini said:

Yep; that the retconning I was talking about.

I don't really see it as retconning.  KF clearly did and tried to do the stuff she did and attempted last season.  It's just that now she's in a healthier or at least less evil/murderous frame of mind.

17 hours ago, johntfs said:

She's not really even Killer Frost, more Assault and Battery Frost.

With a side of Wimpy, Indecisive and a Bit Dim Frost.   She's worked with Ammunet in the past, surely she would have been observant enough to just frost over her bucket-of-bolts during the tediously long windup to Ammunet using her powers.

22 hours ago, johntfs said:

I'm not sure I blame her for killing Black Flash.  That said, wherever Frost's head space was last season, it's clearly not there now.  She's not really even Killer Frost, more Assault and Battery Frost.

Assault and Battery Frost, LMAO!!

On 11/12/2017 at 8:58 PM, Trini said:

They really going to have to do more show not tell with the Thinker/DeVoe very soon. I need more evidence that he "made" these new metas instead of everyone just saying it. Anyway, at least now we know that he can move around outside his HQ.

But he did "make" them.  He sent the samurai robot to force Team Flash to release Barry from the Speed Force, knowing that in so doing they would create an explosion of dark matter that would turn the people who were exposed to it into metas.  What we don't know yet is how he knew where and when the explosion would take place so that he could arrange for the bus to be there at that exact moment.

• Love 1
On 11/12/2017 at 10:58 PM, Trini said:

Guy with a tentacle coming out of his eye socket is one of the creepiest villains they've done.

That guy must have short term memory or an extreme case of stubbornness. Did he forget Caitlin put him in his place before and gave him a cold tap. This episode, he entered the restaurant with so much bravado believing Caitlin will surrender (just by showing the snake) but left empty handed and received a more severe whipping.

9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

But he did "make" them.  He sent the samurai robot to force Team Flash to release Barry from the Speed Force, knowing that in so doing they would create an explosion of dark matter that would turn the people who were exposed to it into metas.  What we don't know yet is how he knew where and when the explosion would take place so that he could arrange for the bus to be there at that exact moment.

We know about the samuroid to bring the Flash back; everything else makes too many assumptions about things they only said not shown. I just need more, if they want me to go with this story.

Just got around to this ep. Other than seeing Katee again, it was pretty bad. So many inconsistencies, and silly writing. Also, the fact Amunet is supposed to be smart and powerful did not jibe at all with the way Katee played her, which was buffoonish and over the top.  And I don’t know why the ladies thought they could take on a meta and her gang. 

35 minutes ago, Ottis said:

And I don’t know why the ladies thought they could take on a meta and her gang. 

Because they had to.  Either they rescued the Weeper or life in Central City was going to get really bad, really fast.  Their one chance to stop that was that night, right then.  They couldn't contact the guys for backup.  They presumably had no reliable way to contact Team Arrow or Team Time Bandits (or in the former's case get them to Central City in time to make a difference).  Even the police were kind of out-of-bounds.  Amunet has been operating under Team Flash's nose since the since the dark matter explosion that kicked off metas to begin with.  Figure she has to have dirty cops/informants within the police.  The best chance to rescue the Weeper and stop the drug is with surprise.  If a paid-off cop tells Amunet what's coming, she reschedules and the deal goes down later/elsewhere, which means Central City (or wherever the Weeper was going) would get really bad, really quick.

9 hours ago, johntfs said:

Because they had to.  Either they rescued the Weeper or life in Central City was going to get really bad, really fast.  Their one chance to stop that was that night, right then.  They couldn't contact the guys for backup.  They presumably had no reliable way to contact Team Arrow or Team Time Bandits (or in the former's case get them to Central City in time to make a difference).  Even the police were kind of out-of-bounds.  Amunet has been operating under Team Flash's nose since the since the dark matter explosion that kicked off metas to begin with.  Figure she has to have dirty cops/informants within the police.  The best chance to rescue the Weeper and stop the drug is with surprise.  If a paid-off cop tells Amunet what's coming, she reschedules and the deal goes down later/elsewhere, which means Central City (or wherever the Weeper was going) would get really bad, really quick.

So like Scooby Do? I guess that fit the tone. They had to because the script said so, not because it made any sense. 

Oh dear God, did they let a Supergirl writer loose on this thing? You know what's the opposite of feminism? Having women running around yelling "Hashtag feminism" and "We are POWERFUL WOMEN". This show finally passes the Bechtel test and it's about how stripping is a feminist act if you just believe you're subverting the gaze and the women will save the world in heels and skintight dresses while the men are at a strip club. This is feminism if feminism was a Beyonce song. 

• Love 1