Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: The Explosion Implosion

4 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Only laughed at " little Howard " and actually grimaced a few times. Least funny episode ever IMO.   I liked some of the premises but writers really dropped the ball . 

The only part I laughed at was the peanut thing.  That was classic Sheldon.  But, I actually enjoyed the episode as a whole.  Leonard's mother finally being proud of him about something.  Amy and Leonard both immersed in their own conversation not even paying attention to the other. Even Raj repurposing the baby clothes was a nice moment.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:
22 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Did she say she planned to throw them in the trash and I missed it? 

She and Raj were shown repurposing the clothes to make them appropriate for a boy, hence Raj attempting to embroider a a baseball and bat on a perfectly fine pink shirt and Bernadette pointing out it looked like genitals. 

If you pay attention, Raj was embroidering through both layers of the clothing, thereby sewing them shut and rendering them useless.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 14
11 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Have we met any of his brothers? We haven't met his other sister. Raj referred to Priya as his baby sister, so any girly hand-me-downs wouldn't have been hers.

I thought that there were no hand-me-downs for Raj, but that was his answer to Bernadatte. I had a feeling that he altered the clothes for other reasons, not because they were hand-me-down (like, he likes to buy feminine stuff)

• Love 3

Given the piles of clothes there was plenty there that was still going to be donated somewhere because given the way she was carefully folding and sorting the clothes there is no way she was planning to toss them out!  If that had been the plan they'd have been going into a garbage bag not being neatly folded and placed in a pile!

It might be that she's just saving a few of her favorite outfits.   I saved a few of my son's baby clothes with the intent of possibly making a blanket using pieces of the clothes.  I never did get around to that though.  

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, Mystery said:

I actually like Penny and Beverly. I was surprised to hear "dour" pronounced "dower" but I see online that now that's okay. My sixth-grade teacher is spinning in her grave (if she's dead). 

How do you pronounce it? I've never heard it any other way.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I thought that there were no hand-me-downs for Raj, but that was his answer to Bernadatte. I had a feeling that he altered the clothes for other reasons, not because they were hand-me-down (like, he likes to buy feminine stuff)

Raj was definitely lying because any hand-me-downs would have been altered by one of the servants. We don't have enough information to know if he ever wore hand-me-downs, but wearing an older sister's clothes may have influenced his "taste" in attire.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It might be that she's just saving a few of her favorite outfits.  

She probably was doing that too.  The point is though she wasn't throwing anything away.  I don't know why anyone would have thought she was.  She only said she wasn't keeping the baby clothes that were probably not suitable for a boy.  Not keeping doesn't equal throwing out!

With regard to Raj and his family I think they changed his back story a bit when they decided to make his family "Richie Rich rich".  In earlier episodes it's clear they are well to do but they had six children (I think they once said six) and according to at least one episode Raj and Priya shared a room.  You don't get the impression at that point that they are richer than rich!  Given their wealth I find it a little unlikely that two opposite sex siblings would have shared a room in a house with servants and parents who could afford to give their 17 yr old a mercedes for his birthday.  They changed that up somewhere along the line.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1

It just came to my mind that Bernadette did what I did a few months ago. I have almost four year old boy, and in less than three months we are getting a girl. I went through all his clothes, removed obvioulsy boy stuff, and kept a lot of neutral things.

We donated three or four bags of clothes. So I don't think Bernie would be throwing the clothes, she probably had a plan

As for Beverly, I like when the parents get some screen time. And wasn't dissapointed 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Anyway, Beverly's elitism makes it hard to believe she'd ever bond with someone as lowbrow as Penny, frankly. 

Except she totally did, in Season 3, Episode 11 (The Maternal Congruence), when she got drunk with her. In that same episode during the ride back to the airport, she told Leonard to take care of Penny. She also referred to Penny as her "homegirl" twice, and asked Leonard why he hadn't told her that he was in a relationship with "this lovely, charming young woman".

19 hours ago, Katy M said:

As much as she complains about Leonard, he has probably given her the most emotional relationship and it's just recently that she realized that she wants this. 

In that same episode in Season 3, she hugged Leonard, saying that she wanted them to have a closer relationship (she was drunk, but still). She's been a dick to him since then, but it takes time to grow. Anyway, she has made an overture or two in that direction before, especially since her divorce. Of course, that is a natural reaction of the limbic system to being betrayed by a loathsome son of a bitch.

• Love 3
On 10/17/2017 at 0:40 AM, AnnaRose said:

I've never heard dour pronounced any other way.

Neither have I!

On 10/17/2017 at 10:28 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If you pay attention, Raj was embroidering through both layers of the clothing, thereby sewing them shut and rendering them useless.

Ha ha, I said the same thing as I was watching it. He was sticking the entire outfit under the needle, rather than just the outer layer. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

She only said she wasn't keeping the baby clothes that were probably not suitable for a boy. 

Just rewatched this scene - she doesn't say what she's going to do with the clothes only says she is "boxing up" clothes that won't be suitable for a boy.  She may be donating them or passing them along to friends or possibly, given that Howard wouldn't consider the vasectomy, she may be storing those boxes away in case they have a girl next time!

• Love 4
On 10/18/2017 at 10:12 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

Raj was definitely lying because any hand-me-downs would have been altered by one of the servants. We don't have enough information to know if he ever wore hand-me-downs, but wearing an older sister's clothes may have influenced his "taste" in attire.

His sister dressed like a 70-year-old man?

• Love 2
On 10/17/2017 at 0:10 AM, Mystery said:

I actually like Penny and Beverly. I was surprised to hear "dour" pronounced "dower" but I see online that now that's okay. My sixth-grade teacher is spinning in her grave (if she's dead). 

really???  I've always pronounced it this way...like sour.  How did your teacher pronounce it?

Never mind.  I see this has already been discussed.  

Edited by Granny58
14 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

His sister dressed like a 70-year-old man?

I was thinking of some of the colors and patterns he's worn. He also mentioned putting something sparkly on his clothing, but I don't think we've ever seen it.

• Love 1
On October 17, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Katy M said:

So, you could have a dour door, pronounced door door?  OK, a door can't be dour, but I've never heard it pronounced any other way either.

Now we really are getting regional. My 84-year-old uncle, who still has his Newark accent, could pronounce door and dour the same way, but for the rest of us it would sound like a doer door, as in a Law & Order reference to a "doer" or perpetrator of a crime. But add me to the list of those who have only heard it pronounced the way Beverly did and was surprised to see when I selected and right-clicked on the word here and then clicked define that the first pronunciation was "do͝or," not "dou(ə)r."

• Love 2
On 17/10/2017 at 8:16 PM, kariyaki said:

Beverly was striking me as particularly lonely. While we've never met Leonard's siblings, I wouldn't find it a huge stretch to assume that she's alienated them just as much as she has Leonard. He runs for the hills when she calls, I bet they do the same.

And I bet each one of them thinks they are in the same position as Leonard i.e. the least favourite.

• Love 3