Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Drums at Dust

mrsbagnet
  • Start Topic

An unexpected encounter creates issues between Ralph Angel and Darla. Meanwhile, the presence of Charley's mother Lorna gives rise to old tensions in the family, and Violet finally sees a doctor about her recurring symptoms.

(edited)

I really wish Darla wasn't pregnant. I feel like if she wasn't, she wouldn't even be considering going through with this marriage. Marrying a man who is dismissive of counseling would be a big NO for me. He thinks he knows everything, and you can't tell him anything. That's a lifetime of frustration.

So Charlie's mom was staying away because of her deal with Violet? Maybe they should have told that to Charlie.

The way Nova's friend was eyeballing Robert, I though she knew him from somewhere. I was getting scared about what she might say.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1

Wow, it really didn't take long for me to hate Ralph Angel again. But I'm so glad they're already fighting, because after the way he was acting the first half of the season, only for it to end in an accepted proposal, I was a bit worried they wouldn't address what an asshole he is to her. I'm glad to know it seems like their issues and his attitude and treatment of her will be a arc. Too bad I know I can't expect Remy's attitude with Charley to get the same focus.

2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

So Charlie's mom was staying away because of her deal with Violet? Maybe they should have told that to Charlie.

Does Charley not know there's a deal? I watched both episodes back to back tonight, so I really should remember this better. I know she told Remy that Vi and her mother are basically mortal enemies in the first episode, but for some reason, when Vi mentioned the deal it in their scene in the second, it didn't feel like new information to me. So I thought maybe Charley had mentioned that to Remy in the same convo. I think it makes more sense Charley doesn't know, though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I really wish Darla wasn't pregnant. I feel like if she wasn't, she wouldn't even be considering going through with this marriage. Marrying a man who is dismissive of counseling would be a big NO for me. He thinks he knows everything, and you can't tell him anything. That's a lifetime of frustration.

The way Nova's friend was eyeballing Robert, I though she knew him from somewhere. I was getting scared about what she might say.

Did I miss something? I didn't know that Darla was pregnant?

I don't get the writing for Ralph Angel at all. It's like the writers think they can write RA as the most obnoxious, self-centered asshole in the universe and women (the primary audience members) will still root for him because Kofi Siriboe is good-looking.  I had to stop watching daytime soaps due to that kind of writing. Tonight I (again)  had flashbacks to my abusive ex in the scenes between Darla/RA in the bedroom and it made me physically ill. I really do hope that they address RA's emotional abuse towards the women in his life this season. I'm really getting tired of the show treating RA's behavior as if it is in anyway acceptable.

Interesting finding out Lorna and Ernest were married. I'm really curious to find out the full story on what happened between Nova/RA's mother, Ernest, and Lorna. As its stands, I am clearly seeing where RA gets his ain't-shitness from. The apple appears to fall directly from the tree.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, colorbars said:

Does Charley not know there's a deal?

I need to rewatch the first episode. I just assumed with the way Lorna was throwing out sorry excuse after another for her absence that Charley didn't know.

3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Did I miss something? I didn't know that Darla was pregnant?

She didn't come out and say it, but it was heavily implied during the dress shopping scene with Charley. I don't believe RA knows.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I don't get the writing for Ralph Angel at all. It's like the writers think they can write RA as the most obnoxious, self-centered asshole in the universe and women (the primary audience members) will still root for him because Kofi Siriboe is good looking

Given some of the comments on Facebook and my office, some women are.

1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

She didn't come out and say it, but it was heavily implied during the dress shopping scene with Charley. I don't believe RA knows.

If he knew he probably think the baby isn't his. 

• Love 4

Violet and Lorna's showdown was way too short. I need way more of Violet puncturing Lorna's flowery neo-liberal bs.

Putting that particular responsibility onto Nova feels pretty cheap. But then the writing on this show is uniformly horrible so it's no surprise.

56 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Not surprising in the least. At least they showed RA and Darla going to counseling. If there is no character growth for RA this season,I'm just going to have to start FF his scenes.  Seeing him pout and lash out every time something doesn't go his way is not interesting TV. Especially when the rest of the show is so damn good.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

That's why this forum is a relief to me.

I was thinking again about the scene with Darla and RA at the gas station. Why didn't he come to her defense? I would think that an average man witnessing his fiancee being harrassed in public would say something to the other man to get him to back off, or at least do something physically to show that she was with him. Ralph Angel just stood there. We've seen him be a hothead while defending Blue. I guess he doesn't think Darla deserves the same.

• Love 6

Micah and his girlfriend are adorable, she's a keeper. Way to go Kiki, she's made of strong stuff. And I just loved Micah talking to his mom at the end, Micah telling his mom that he's learned a lot from Kiki, and Charlie deciding she was going to put on her own pageant for the black community. 

Back to Darla and RA, I hate to have to constantly shit on RA, but he just so freaking infuriating, LOL. I mean he gives Darla NO emotional support. Darla got in that truck with tears in her eyes and he knew then that, that guy was one of her old "customers." But no, no way in hell would he ever get out of his feelings and things being just about him to take Darla in his arms and say that it makes him sad that she got so desperate that she had to do that to herself, damn, say something like that and soften your tone. See, when you say it this way, it sounds like you hurt for her and it's not only about what she did wrong. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6

I see you, show. Trying to fool us with the black woman at the table as Charley’s mom before focusing on Sharon Lawrence. Wasn’t it mentioned before Lorna’s white?

I did have a problem with Lorna’s lame excuse on not contacting Charley sooner but after her conversation with Vi, I’m a little on her side. Despite what happened with Lorna, Tru and Ernest, Lorna has a right to see her daughter and grandson. Vi may not like Lorna but she can’t ban her from the state. Just from these two episodes, we see Charley needs her mother from an emotional and financial point.  

I agree with everyone that we need the backstory on Lorna, Tru and Ernest. I didn’t think Ernest married Lorna either. It sounds like a rewrite. How long were they married and did he live with her in California while Tru and Nova stayed on the farm? If so, who worked the farm while Ernest was in California?

I don’t hate Lorna or see her as a vixen who stole Ernest from Tru and Nova. Ernest had other women besides Lorna and he wasn’t fully committed to Tru even after Nova was born. I don’t like how Vi is putting it all on Lorna but not criticizing her saintly brother to the same degree. I can understand to an extent why Nova may feel that way. Vi could’ve put a lot of those thoughts in Nova’s head when she was a child but Nova is an adult and she was the other woman once and should know not everything is black and white and the other woman shouldn’t take all the blame.

Other than that, get your money Vi and gets some help in baking those pies. With her health issue she can’t make 300 pies a week alone and run High Yellow.

Charley’s not paying for the wedding is she? RA didn’t have enough money to keep the lights on and the store where Darla shopped for her wedding dress didn’t look cheap.

I rolled my eyes when Vi told RA that Ernest giving him the farm was the best thing to happen to him. That should make Ernest daughters soooo happy. 

9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Of course Hollywood needs a job but isn't working for the competition kind of a slap in the face to the Bordelons?

I thought Hollywood's boss was a friend of Landry. Still they are both cut from the same cloth. Hollywood's boss calling his employees 'Boys' rubbed me the wrong way. 

19 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I thought Chantel looked like the annoyed ex seeing Nova with her new guy.

4 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

That's why this forum is a relief to me.

I was thinking again about the scene with Darla and RA at the gas station. Why didn't he come to her defense? I would think that an average man witnessing his fiancee being harrassed in public would say something to the other man to get him to back off, or at least do something physically to show that she was with him. Ralph Angel just stood there. We've seen him be a hothead while defending Blue. I guess he doesn't think Darla deserves the same.

I was worried RA was going to say something and violate his parole somehow. Now thinking about it, that probably wasn't on his mind so his silence there is telling. Darla might've been right about RA on the way home. RA continues to show he's not ready for marriage and it's always all about him.  

• Love 6

I don’t hate Lorna or see her as a vixen who stole Ernest from Tru and Nova. Ernest had other women besides Lorna and he wasn’t fully committed to Tru even after Nova was born. I don’t like how Vi is putting it all on Lorna but not criticizing her saintly brother to the same degree. I can understand to an extent why Nova may feel that way. Vi could’ve put a lot of those thoughts in Nova’s head when she was a child but Nova is an adult and she was the other woman once and should know not everything is black and white and the other woman shouldn’t take all the blame.

Same. I'm about ready to roll my eyes about this. Of course, Ernest didn't have a choice in the matter. In that regard, Tru must've pushed him away and into Lorna's arms. :sarcasm: 

Darla should just co-parent with RA and that's it. He's always going to see her as wounded. She isn't living up to his saintly image that he has in his head, so his ex-con ass who doesn't have a pot to piss in is going to judge. Darla's prostitution was the lowest she's been, but instead of focusing on how she's cleaning herself up and being responsible, he's focusing on her sex work. It's painful, but it rings true since addiction is viewed as a choice. Too many people think that you can just "make up your mind" and stop. While I agree that an addict does have to decide for themselves to stop, it isn't as simple as quitting cold turkey. If that were the case, there would be no rehabs. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 9

I'm having trouble understanding why sophisticated, worldly, narcissist Lorna was ever interested in poor farmer Ernest in the first place.  It's just not making sense to me. Not to mention that I don't like Sharon Lawrence. 

Darla and Ralph Angel both mumble. I have to turn up the volume every time they talk. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3

I was taken aback by that sugar princess stuff. Is that kind of thing (deliberately excluding girls of color) still going on? I know there are still separate proms and churches are largely segregated by choice. However, it would seem to me this social event sponsored by businesses whose labor forces are probably mostly non-White would've by now been shamed out of only presenting White girls.

I'm having trouble understanding why sophisticated, worldly, narcissist Lorna's was ever interested in poor farmer Ernest in the first place.  

If she is indeed a Landry or Boudreaux the reason may become clear real quick.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, bichonblitz said:

I'm having trouble understanding why sophisticated, worldly, narcissist Lorna was ever interested in poor farmer Ernest in the first place.  It's just not making sense to me. Not to mention that I don't like Sharon Lawrence. 

Darla and Ralph Angel both mumble. I have to turn up the volume every time they talk. 

Going back nearly forty years ago, the farm wasn’t in financial trouble. I’m guessing Ernest was middle class then. Ernest had enough money to buy out Vi’s share of the farm so she could divorce her abusive husband and buy him out, too. Ernest was also younger, attractive and had a way with ladies. Add in money and that can almost get you anyone. 

We are due a much needed backstory on Ernest, Vi, Lorna and Tru. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 10/5/2017 at 4:16 AM, colorbars said:

Does Charley not know there's a deal? I watched both episodes back to back tonight, so I really should remember this better. I know she told Remy that Vi and her mother are basically mortal enemies in the first episode, but for some reason, when Vi mentioned the deal it in their scene in the second, it didn't feel like new information to me. So I thought maybe Charley had mentioned that to Remy in the same convo.

You're right. During their convo at the engagement party, Charley tells Remy that her mom agreed not to come back to Louisiana a long time ago.

It's ironic that Robert asked Nova if Chantal has an agenda because it's becoming clear that he has one.

Edited by mrsbagnet
On 10/5/2017 at 1:16 AM, colorbars said:

Wow, it really didn't take long for me to hate Ralph Angel again. But I'm so glad they're already fighting, because after the way he was acting the first half of the season, only for it to end in an accepted proposal, I was a bit worried they wouldn't address what an asshole he is to her. I'm glad to know it seems like their issues and his attitude and treatment of her will be a arc. Too bad I know I can't expect Remy's attitude with Charley to get the same focus.

I know, right? When Charley and Remy were happily walking together in New Orleans (I think that's where it was) I was confused. He'd been so nasty to her in the last episode before the break (at least I think it was that episode).

On 10/5/2017 at 0:54 PM, mrsbagnet said:

I guess he doesn't think Darla deserves the same.

I think he thinks Darla is lucky that anyone wants her, and she should be grateful enough to take anything he dishes out. 

On 10/5/2017 at 5:51 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Back to Darla and RA, I hate to have to constantly shit on RA, but he just so freaking infuriating, LOL. I mean he gives Darla NO emotional support. Darla got in that truck with tears in her eyes and he knew then that, that guy was one of her old "customers." But no, no way in hell would he ever get out of his feelings and things being just about him to take Darla in his arms and say that it makes him sad that she got so desperate that she had to do that to herself, damn, say something like that and soften your tone. See, when you say it this way, it sounds like you hurt for her and it's not only about what she did wrong. 

Hard to get to that kind of support when he believes her failures were worse than his, and that she somehow chose them out of selfishness.

On 10/5/2017 at 6:03 PM, Arcadiasw said:

I think many people, when hurt and angry, will direct that anger onto the person they don't love, instead of acknowledging the person they love has made choices that hurt and betrayed them. It's easier than dealing with it directly.

On 10/6/2017 at 10:34 AM, bichonblitz said:

Maybe that's why she was cast - it takes no work to make the audience bristle when she's on screen. 

On 10/7/2017 at 9:07 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I was taken aback by that sugar princess stuff. Is that kind of thing (deliberately excluding girls of color) still going on? I know there are still separate proms and churches are largely segregated by choice. However, it would seem to me this social event sponsored by businesses whose labor forces are probably mostly non-White would've by now been shamed out of only presenting White girls.

I don't think it's ever gone away. It's hard to shame someone when they're not ashamed, and are even proud of, their racism.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
On 10/7/2017 at 11:07 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

If she is indeed a Landry or Boudreaux the reason may become clear real quick.

I suspect in Kiki's  case there is a colourism and class aspect to the discrimination. If Kiki was the light skinned daughter of lawyer she might have gotten some votes. I suspect Sugar princess can be black as long as it not too black.

• Love 8

Is Ralph Angel ever NOT a jackass?? 

Darla can't even depend on him to not walk her straight into a door jamb when she's blindfolded--and he won't let her put her hands up to protect herself, which is pretty much typical idiotic man-child RA.

Did anyone else have a mixup with the episodes?  My DVR recorded no Episode 10, but two 11's, with different titles, and identical content.

• Love 1