Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Was that because TG wouldn't let them or Frank was too cheap to pay for it? Luke's actual exit, when he walks into the fog, had to be one of the lamest ever for a marquee character.

Probably both. But they did a montage for Scrubs, so I'm inclined to believe it was TG. Plus, not even just a montage . . . no final scene between Luke and Laura, and Daytime Confidential, who got scoop from Ron, said that TG threw a fit when told GF was coming back for his exit, but maybe that was a lie/exaggeration Ron told them.

44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Was that because TG wouldn't let them or Frank was too cheap to pay for it? Luke's actual exit, when he walks into the fog, had to be one of the lamest ever for a marquee character.

I believe it was confirmed that TG blocked it. I can't see FV and RC willingly getting away without a final "goodbye" montage for Luke.

• Love 1

Sam: That's right, Carly. Jake is Jason's son.

Carly: You are so bitter that he dumped you.

Sam: No, he didn't dump me. He lied to me --

Carly: And you're so jealous of my friendship with him.

Sam: It is not a friendship. I am sorry, it's not, it's warped. You are a twisted, selfish, meddling bitch who can't stand the idea of Jason being with another woman, even if it's just a friendship. You have had it in for me from the start.

Carly: No, I saw through you from the start. How many beds did you bounce from -- Jax, Sonny, Jason? God, and to think you could've tied Jason down.

Sam: Oh, that's right, your poor, poor, godlike Jason. You were thrilled when you found out that I couldn't get pregnant because you knew what a son means to Jason. And now Elizabeth -- oh, holier-than-thou Elizabeth, who you just might dislike a teeny bit more than me, has given him the son he's always wanted. I mean, that's certainly something that you haven't given him. And he didn't tell you -- his big, best friend.

Oh yeeeah. That's the stuff.

• Love 5

100% truth! That is the only saving grace sadly of her being dead she is free from Spinsuck, it's 2 bad her sister got the short end of the stick & got stuck with Spinelli ass. It basically killed her 2 so Guza bitch ass basically killed both Jones Girls in 1 fall swoop.

I do genuinely wonder if there was any truth 2 the rumor that is why Georgie was killed & by virtue Coop so Guza could pair them together. It was his wet dream anyways that's all Spixie was him living out his fantasy & a very bad ugly 1 at that. 

I down with her having dream sex with Coop in order for him to be Georgie daddy. Or Matt, shit I take OG Franco him & Maxie 1 night stand produced Georgie anyone but Spin that's  been my model since 2008.

I think Georgie was killed because JFP and Guza were straight up bitches. Lindze dared asked for a storyline after JMB's Lulu took off (and became a Carly and Jason ass licker in the process) and they basically had 3 men fight for her (Milo, Spinbitch and Dillon), while Georgie twisted in the wind. They not only let her go, but they killed off her character, even though Georgie was talking about doing study aboard in Europe and she wasn't really dating anyone, so pretty easy way to give the character a break. Whatever someone feels for LL, Georgie was a good character in a key demographic. It was petty move capping off a shitty serial killer storyline (that only killed off two young heroines and Leticia instead of other soul sucking characters, like Sonny) and kind of screwed the pouch for bring either Georgie or Emily back, even with recast. Considering how surprisingly well received Molly Burnett was, and how close in real life her and Kristen Storms are, she probably would have been a good recast for Georgie.

The only saving grace of Georgie dying (as well as Coop) was how awesome Maxie was. I hated KS's Maxie up until then. Instead of destroying herself and some guy like she did with Lucky after her cop boyfriend died, she looked in who murdered her sister and forced Spinelli to help, even bring him to Georgie's room to show Spinbitch that Georgie was more than the moniker that he hung on her, she was a full human being. Maxie drove the investigation, Spinelli provided technical support and did jack shit to bring out her good side; it was already there, he again, had one dimensional thinking concerning her, as he did with all other women. Of course Guza couldn't let a girl be the hero so they had tumor!Emily that Nik was fucking tell Nik who killed her so Nik could tell Jason. Then after DNA!Diego was killed (he was the Text Message Killer for...reasons), she continued to get her shit together and badgered Kate into hiring her, while Lulu was pretty much given the job (that she had complete contempt for and to be a spy for Carly), mainly to spite Maxie. 

• Love 5

I feel like I need to rant got so sick of legacy characters been killed off except sonny  skids.

That said I don't know why they couldn't have wrote for both Georgie and lulu.The writers didn't seem to have a problem writing for Brenda Karen and Robin when they were teens or Liz and Emily.

• Love 1

Harmony Guza is a different breed then Claire & Wendy. He couldn't write for more than 1 younger female at a time. It was only Lulu. Georgie twisted ^ Maxie & her relationship with Coop were just a prop for Lulu & Logan especially Maxie. She was constantly used as a prop until Lulu met Dante as a means too an end to move Lulu onto the next sucker. 3M had so much potential & Guza crapped all over it for Lulu & her relationship. He was like obsessed with finding a Luke for her without realizing L&L were a rare phenomenon that was never going to happen again. It took Lante taking off real well for him to finally stop.

40 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I think Georgie was killed because JFP and Guza were straight up bitches. Lindze dared asked for a storyline after JMB's Lulu took off (and became a Carly and Jason ass licker in the process) and they basically had 3 men fight for her (Milo, Spinbitch and Dillon), while Georgie twisted in the wind. They not only let her go, but they killed off her character, even though Georgie was talking about doing study aboard in Europe and she wasn't really dating anyone, so pretty easy way to give the character a break. Whatever someone feels for LL, Georgie was a good character in a key demographic. It was petty move capping off a shitty serial killer storyline (that only killed off two young heroines and Leticia instead of other soul sucking characters, like Sonny) and kind of screwed the pouch for bring either Georgie or Emily back, even with recast. Considering how surprisingly well received Molly Burnett was, and how close in real life her and Kristen Storms are, she probably would have been a good recast for Georgie.

The only saving grace of Georgie dying (as well as Coop) was how awesome Maxie was. I hated KS's Maxie up until then. Instead of destroying herself and some guy like she did with Lucky after her cop boyfriend died, she looked in who murdered her sister and forced Spinelli to help, even bring him to Georgie's room to show Spinbitch that Georgie was more than the moniker that he hung on her, she was a full human being. Maxie drove the investigation, Spinelli provided technical support and did jack shit to bring out her good side; it was already there, he again, had one dimensional thinking concerning her, as he did with all other women. Of course Guza couldn't let a girl be the hero so they had tumor!Emily that Nik was fucking tell Nik who killed her so Nik could tell Jason. Then after DNA!Diego was killed (he was the Text Message Killer for...reasons), she continued to get her shit together and badgered Kate into hiring her, while Lulu was pretty much given the job (that she had complete contempt for and to be a spy for Carly), mainly to spite Maxie. 

There was a scene where Maxie explain to Coop how she destroyed Her life & Lucky after Jesse died. It was back in April 07 when a patient came in with a bullet wound & it brought back the memories. How she didn't want to make the same mistake again. It was really good in my opinion, if I could find it on YT I put it in here tomorrow for you.

The strange thing about Mucky is that She was never intended for that story the SoS. They were going to go with Nik & Maxie but TC had a problem with how young Maxie was so then Mucky happened instead.

I'm Probably in the minority in this but take out the Lucky mess & I didn't really have a issue with how she dealt with his death. It was mainly confined too her & watching someone you love die in front of you can do a number on anyone. I know from personal experience & everyone deals differently(Taking out the Lucky Mess) she already had yrs of self destructive experience with alcohol & drugs in her teens in order to deal. Plus it was her 1st loss as an adult. She should've gotten intensive thearpy but at that age you can't force someone 2 go.

We're so on the same wavelength when it comes to that Spixie shit. All She was is a prop for Spin & for 2 damn yrs it was Spinelli this, Spinelli that. All he did was transfer his God awful obsession with Lulu onto her. That relationship was the definition of toxic codependence it made me sick. I still wish when she had that breakdown in Kellys instead of breaking the plate on the ground she broke it on his head.

6 hours ago, ulkis said:

Sam: It is not a friendship. I am sorry, it's not, it's warped. You are a twisted, selfish, meddling bitch who can't stand the idea of Jason being with another woman, even if it's just a friendship. You have had it in for me from the start.

Carly: No, I saw through you from the start. How many beds did you bounce from -- Jax, Sonny, Jason? God, and to think you could've tied Jason down.

Sam: Oh, that's right, your poor, poor, godlike Jason. You were thrilled when you found out that I couldn't get pregnant because you knew what a son means to Jason. And now Elizabeth -- oh, holier-than-thou Elizabeth, who you just might dislike a teeny bit more than me, has given him the son he's always wanted. I mean, that's certainly something that you haven't given him. And he didn't tell you -- his big, best friend.

I love this!  Thank you.  A Carly who is not giggling non stop.  And the true Sam.  Such a contrast to the saccharine wedding today.

• Love 2
Just now, bannana said:

I love this!  Thank you.  A Carly who is not giggling non stop.  And the true Sam.  Such a contrast to the saccharine wedding today.

The wedding felt like a series finale. Look at all the happy people! Everyone is getting along! A baby is on the way! The end!

20 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

While I was doing the list in my head, I realized that one of my very favorite friendships is Luke/Tiffany. GH used to be much much better at all types of friendships

I'm trying to think of current friendships I love and I can think of none. WTF? Am I not remembering something or is the show this bad?

• Love 3

Co-sign on the Luke / Tiffany friendship.  Really, Tiffany with anyone.  She was such a gem.

Luke and Joe Kelly, and then Luke and Robert were also fun.  

Since this is from my happy childhood days of watching the show, I have to say the whole Anna / Robert / Sean / Tiff / Frisco / Felicia friend group was great.  I miss characters being witty and lighthearted, while also acting like sophisticated adults.

I want to say I liked Brenda / Robin and Brenda / Lois from the 90s ... but I tried to watch a clip of Lois the other day, and I found her incredibly annoying.  Oh well!

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

I have to say the whole Anna / Robert / Sean / Tiff / Frisco / Felicia friend group was great.  I miss characters being witty and lighthearted, while also acting like sophisticated adults.

One scene that stands out to me is Robert and Anna have a toast, and they decide to keep on toasting, and then when they're done:

Robert: Thank God that's over.

Anna: whose idea was that?

Hee.

I would be the grouch trying to ruin Frisco scenes for everyone if the net were around and I was watching GH back then, heh.

Luke had great friendships. I even liked Lucy with him. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

Watching that baby Robin clip again ... You'd think Robert would have figured that one out sooner.  

An adorable, brown-haired 6-year-old shows up claiming to be from NYC ... like, right after his adorable, brown-haired ex-wife of almost 7 years - who's been hinting about some big secret - gets on a plane for NYC.  Think, Robert, think!!

13 hours ago, ulkis said:

So instead of confronting her bestie about him keeping her in the dark, she went and got in Elizabeth's face instead.  Yet another example of a woman in Jason's life confronting Elizabeth when their real beef was with Jason (Monica and the warhorse BFF).  I really disliked LW's portrayal of Carly in these scenes.  Her acting choices were terrible.  

LW never seems to get that while Carly is all fierce over Jason, to also play it with a sense of vulnerability.  That's what I liked about SJB's portrayal.  Her confrontations with Elizabeth were always tinged with a sense of sadness that she knew she was fighting with the wrong person.  That she was taking it out on Elizabeth when she knew it was Jason she needed to deal with instead. LW goes all battle axe chewing up scenes instead.  

Edited by coffee drinker
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I'm trying to think of current friendships I love and I can think of none. WTF? Am I not remembering something or is the show this bad?

I loved Diane coming to the lake house to see how Alexis was doing the day after Alexis's law license was suspended. I liked Alexis and Tracy at the Floating Rib, even if it was kind of WTF to see Alexis and her former mother-in-law together (another reason cast integration should happen more often). Maxie and Lulu are good when they aren't talking about babies, which is all too rare these days.

Finn and Curtis are kind of fun, as are Finn and Tracy.

We rarely see friends sitting around and talking, and too much of this is to serve a plot point rather than to reinforce the characters' friendships.

16 minutes ago, coffee drinker said:

So instead of confronting her bestie about him keeping her in the dark, she went and got in Elizabeth's face instead.

When there's trouble with a couple, the wimmins are always at fault. It's beyond tired in 2016.

There is a scene in the relationship thread, where Carly confronts Jason for not telling her about his kid with Liz.  

Of course, it quickly devolves into Carly yelling that Liz is forcing him to give up his own son and poor, poor Jason, blah blah blah.

It ends, hilariously, with Carly claiming she'll "fix this" and running off, while Jason yells after her "NOOOO, Carly!!"

• Love 3

Forgot to mention dear perfect Sam's role in Carly's finding out about baby Jake.  She also didn't confront Jason either but instead sicced Carly on to Liz to do her dirty work.  Sam's pathetic attempts to get Jason to tell her the truth.  Sam all truth and honesty.  Yeah no.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Of course, it quickly devolves into Carly yelling that Liz is forcing him to give up his own son and poor, poor Jason, blah blah blah.

Sonny was always yammering that Jason needed to "claim" his son. That part of the story was so manufactured. Liz and Jason decided together that it was best for people not to know who Jake's father was, even if it was the worst-kept secret in Port Charles. Plus, Liz (and Lucky, for that matter) never kept Jason away if he wanted contact. Jason was the one who decided he could only stare soulfully at Jake when they crossed paths.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

This may be the grossest Carly/Jason fight I've ever seen. He's basically yelling at her for picking Alcazar because he gave her and Michael up so she, Sonny, and Michael could be a family, so keep warming Sonny's bed no matter what, otherwise she's a homewrecker of her own family and will have wasted Jason's "sacrifice".

Jason is the worst. I don't feel any sympathy for Carly there either though. Sock him in the face and tell him to go to hell. Instead she just cries and says she can't help it, it's something in her brain from the coma that makes her go to Alcazar. Man, poor Carly couldn't even feel legitimately attracted to another man, after all the crap Sonny did to her, without it being some kind of brain fart.

TB's Carly definitely got to lord it over all the other women, but her place in the Jason/Sonny/Carly paradigm was definitely the most subservient out of all the Carlys.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

He is such a POS, I seriously could write pages on how abusive he is in that scene. TB's Carly always made me kind of sad. She was always like a good little depressed soldier. Stand UP for yourself.

For once, I did love how she brought up the Robin situation, though. So Robin wasn't allowed to tell the truth bc it would hurt people, right? But Jason can tell the truth, huh? He has to tell the truth to Sonny, no matter what. And his FACE. Hypocritical fuck.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

He is such a POS, I seriously could write pages on how abusive he is in that scene.

Seriously. 

"I walked through hell so you could have the family that you WANTED!!!"

Could Steve Burton have delivered that any douchier?

Hell? What is he talking about? Carly begged him to be with her, and he was like, nope can do? Is he talking about having to stay in the unheated box car listening to Liz talk about her murals? That's a little more understandable, but still. 

Watching those scenes, as weird as today's GH is, I'd be hard-pressed to choose which GH I wanted to watch. 2002-2005 era of Sonny/Jason are right all the time and no one can say boo to them was pretty intolerable. (And no, I actually don't think the situation is as bad now. Sonny is acting like Pa Walton, but that's a different problem.)

I suppose Jason acted differently with Sam, otherwise I don't think that romance would have been as popular as it was. I'll have to check out early Jasam some day.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Hell? What is he talking about? Carly begged him to be with her, and he was like, nope can do?

Jason never wanted it to be just him, Carly, Michael. Ever. But I do think Robin's "betrayal" fucked him up. In the sense of, "Well, Carly will never disobey me. And I love Michael." But then she screwed Sonny, so...

4 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Could Steve Burton have delivered that any douchier?

No. '00s SBu. The worst. 

5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I suppose Jason acted differently with Sam

That's debatable. They yelled and she cried through the years. A lot. I couldn't get into JaSam from the jump, though, bc I couldn't do the whole "Jason claims another baby" crap again. Oh, hell naw.

• Love 1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ed-martin/general-hospital-update-i_b_1383755.html

I stumbled over this article from 2012 and this paragraph stood out to me

They’re being entirely too diligent with another wildly unpopular plot, too: The story of Jason and psycho artist Franco (played by James Franco). This story marked an absolute low for the show. It looks like the return of Heather Webber will somehow play into clearing up the many mysteries about Franco’s character. I certainly hope the new team isn’t afraid to put a stake through its heart and leave this very poorly told tale stone cold dead.

ahaha. *weeps*

• Love 7

Ah, here it is:

Lorenzo: A nasty custody fight is more than [Carly] should have to take. It'd be much easier as a widow.

Sonny: I'll die before I let that happen.

lmao, I did not remember the fire at the end.

• Love 6

I can't remember - how much of a dangling thread was Franco when Frank/Ron took over?  He was presumed dead, killed by Jason, right?  But he had sent the video claiming he could be the father of Sam's baby?

Making Franco Jason's retroactive twin early on was soooo Ron. 

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

They clearly didn't know that soap legend RoHo would revitalize the character.

Random ass question 'cause I just saw this posted on DD and it made me go wuttt? Since when did Jason like chocolate cake "bc of Emily"? The only vivid memories I have of Jason and chocolate cake was when Sonny made it for Jason on his "first" birthday (and Sonny picked chocolate bc of Robin), Robin sent Jase a choc. cake for his "second" birthday, and Jason got Robin choc. cake on their anniversary. 

2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I can't remember - how much of a dangling thread was Franco when Frank/Ron took over?  He was presumed dead, killed by Jason, right?  But he had sent the video claiming he could be the father of Sam's baby?

I think they confirmed that Jason was the baby's father, but then Sam went to Heather and Heather said that actually Franco and Jason were twins so they had to do the DNA test all over again and that confirmed to them the kid was really Franco's. So they prolonged the story themselves, in order to drive Sam to McBain.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL at Carly saying Liz uses every dirty trick in the book to keep her hold on Jason. Like Carly never resorts to manipulation when it comes to men. 

It is always RICH when Carly says that crap about other female characters considering her history with Jason, specifically. There should always be someone noticeably rolling their eyes when she says that shit or calling her the hell out. New viewers need to know, lol.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

No. '00s SBu. The worst. 

That's debatable. They yelled and she cried through the years. A lot. I couldn't get into JaSam from the jump, though, bc I couldn't do the whole "Jason claims another baby" crap again. Oh, hell naw.

Jason taking in Sonny's leftovers to protect S&C/Michael.  *Shudder*  He got all the "daddy" focus, even when the kid died.  I felt a little badly for Mo in that scene.  Playing 2nd banana to Burton.  Guza strikes again.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

They clearly didn't know that soap legend RoHo would revitalize the character.

Random ass question 'cause I just saw this posted on DD and it made me go wuttt? Since when did Jason like chocolate cake "bc of Emily"? The only vivid memories I have of Jason and chocolate cake was when Sonny made it for Jason on his "first" birthday (and Sonny picked chocolate bc of Robin), Robin sent Jase a choc. cake for his "second" birthday, and Jason got Robin choc. cake on their anniversary. 

It might have been a reference to this scene from 2007.  

The  4:10 mark.  

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, coffee drinker said:

It might have been a reference to this scene from 2007.  

The  4:10 mark.  

THANK YOU. So EMILY loved chocolate cake. Maybe I read the original comment wrong. I was like, Jason was eating cake way before Emily's likes/dislikes came into the equation, lol.

19 minutes ago, coffee drinker said:

He [Jason] got all the "daddy" focus, even when the kid died.  I felt a little badly for Mo in that scene.  Playing 2nd banana to Burton.

I didn't. His character decided to pawn off his mistress's kid for somebody else to raise. He doesn't get to be the chief mourner when he wasn't going to be the primary parent

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Oracle42 said:

I didn't. His character decided to pawn off his mistress's kid for somebody else to raise. He doesn't get to be the chief mourner when he wasn't going to be the primary parent

I don't give a shit about Sonny. I think it was more "Oh, look, Guza is making Jason the hero again." It just got tiring.

• Love 2