Type keyword(s) to search

Ink Master: Angels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Several preview clips available at Spike.

Looks interesting, but I have a weird soft spot for audition episodes. This format should at least give us a sense of who the artists are and what they're capable of prior to season 10.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

A forum has been requested but I will leave this here for now. Changing the title to avoid confusion.

I hate to ask, but do we need a whole forum? This is essentially an audition for the main show, and probably will only have one season. This is more tied to the main show than Redemption is. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Why not renaming this topic : "Ink Master Angels : while waiting until 2017.10.03"  ? lol !

Back to the topic : an intersting read here : https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Ink-Master-Angels-Talk-About-Upcoming-Series-And-More-20170922

That was a good read. I love the way Kelly described herself as a hermit and a giant green muppet.  Ryan is very accomplished for someone so relatively young.

• Love 1

The series features four of “Ink Master” Season 8’s top female competitors - Ryan Ashley, Kelly Doty, Nikki Simpson and Gia Rose – as they travel the country and go head to head with some of America’s most talented tattoo artists. Competitors will face a variety of tattoo-based challenges to see who has what it takes to beat the “Angels” and earn a spot on Season 10 of “Ink Master”

The Angels deal a tough hand in Las Vegas, challenging local artists to show off their best; to earn a guaranteed spot on ``Ink Master,'' the winner must beat an Angel by tattooing canvases affected by addiction.

Kind of surprised she is on the show as I don't feel she is as strong as the other 3 artists.  She didn't excel on the show and probably lasted longer than she should have because she was part of the all girl alliance.  Looking through her portfolio there is nothing that blows me away as an amazing tattoo.  There are several other females who appeared on Ink master who probably deserve it more.

This isn't really about "deserve." This is about relationships and the story of their friendship in the first go-round. Besides, just about every other notable female tattooist has already been on the main show multiple times. I am sick of them all. 

OK, so I'm seeing on my screen Angels is new (duh) and then a new Tattoo Nightmares, but when I check the guide it lists an epi from 2014.  I'm psyched for a new TN, and I'll give Angels a chance, since it isn't so obnoxious, but does anyone know why I'm getting those listings?  Thanks! 

(edited)

I liked the fast pace of the show and seeing more tattoos, even if they're smaller and less elaborate. Let's see if the Angel judges ever vote for a non-Angel in the final round.

The expert/Angels/audience voting system seems like a fair balance of power. I expect it will never, against all odds, be unanimous. Where's the tie vote, cut-to-commercial suspense in that?

I liked the overall look of Tone's tattoo better than Ryan's but could see that hers was applied better.

Kinda glad Tone didn't make it through, just because of his posturing bluster. So tired of that shit. (You'll notice he wasn't like that in front of his mother.) I did appreciate that he picked the supposed "best" artist to go up against. Although Ryan's slack-jawed surprise at his choice was a little much.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

I wonder what George Clooney would look like if he was of Chicano heritage and dressed like a 1930's gangster...now I know.

Overall, not a bad first episode.  The angels are not that charismatic, but they seemed sincere.

Having it set in Las Vegas reminded me of the recent horrible tragedy,which was unfortunate.

I was so afraid that he would get on for the drama factor, @AlliePK. However, I still have questions about how this works. They said that beating an Angel will get a tattooist directly on the show. But it's conceivable that no one beats one of the women all season, meaning that regular casting will be filling in the gaps. I am thinking that we may yet see that asshat on the main show. They love their Vegas guys. They love their big mouths. They love their misogyny. He is a prime target for a slot allocated by casting. 

• Love 2

Lord spare me Tone.  When I was studying Spanish in Mexico, I learned that "Chingon" is basically the f-word, so literally every time he said his "name," I cringed.  That was in addition to all the other cringing I was doing at his general state of being.  Awful.  

I generally like these women, but their manner of "presenting," made me remember that television hosting is an actual skill that people have to work at and is not the same as general talking.  Every time Kelly in particular but really all of them in general took the stage to speak to address the crowd, I cringed.  I hope they improve with practice.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

. I am thinking that we may yet see that asshat on the main show.

EXACTLY where I was going.  If they have X number epis, and only so many go through, I doubt the rest will fade into oblivion, ya know?  I think this is indeed glorified casting and we'll all be stuck with them for ages.  So much fun.  If fun could meet talent and make babies, I'd be ok.  HOWEVAH.  @Rancide I actually liked Kelly's delivery the best.  Ryan seemed too forced, and I was so busy trying to see what Nikki had done to her face that I didn't notice.  Looks like she toned it down some, really.  And I just can't bash Gia for anything, just because that would be mean. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I was so afraid that he would get on for the drama factor, @AlliePK. However, I still have questions about how this works. They said that beating an Angel will get a tattooist directly on the show. But it's conceivable that no one beats one of the women all season, meaning that regular casting will be filling in the gaps. I am thinking that we may yet see that asshat on the main show. They love their Vegas guys. They love their big mouths. They love their misogyny. He is a prime target for a slot allocated by casting. 

They said that beating an Angel "guaranteed" a spot on Ink Master. So I guess that there are 'wild card' spots open to the second place finishers. Like, maybe there are 8 spots available, if 8 people beat the Angels, they fill them. If only 4 do, the other 4 spots go to Dave, Peck, and Nunez's picks out of the runners up? 

• Love 2

Not sure I will continue to watch this. Tone was an asshole. Was glad to see the other two contestants were the ones that sent him home since he was so rude and condescending.

The young black guy with his tattoo I thought was good. The angles didn't like the triangle but his transition from orange to yellow I loved.

I don't want to be rude but then again Kelly needs to lose about 200 pounds.

The format and all is not as appealing as Inkmaster sorry to say.

So glad Chignon didn't make it (I'm just going to say his name like the updo-hairstyle). What an ass. Chicano traditional is so specific, I've never seen it on IM before!

Agree with all your input, the Angels need to work on presenting, and yes, Kelly is the worst of them with it so far. They sound like they're giving oral reports.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Chicano traditional is so specific, I've never seen it on IM before!

Took me six tries to get that to quote, but YES!!!!  Instead of some of the random reality shit IM does, a new challenge would be welcome, and this would be one.  Howevah, how many dumbfounded faces would Chicano traditional bring out, if they can't even figure out things like American traditional or New School....

• Love 2
On 10/5/2017 at 7:48 AM, CaptainCranky said:

Kelly doesn't NEED to do anything, much less lose weight to please someone she doesn't even know.  Just sayin'

• Love 16
5 hours ago, AlliePK said:

Kelly doesn't NEED to do anything, much less lose weight to please someone she doesn't even know.  Just sayin'

Thank you. Kelly kicks ass. I don't care what she looks like. I don't buy into "fat women can be sexy, too." I am firmly in the camp of "no woman has to be sexy by anyone's standards." She is an amazing artist and a brilliant technician. From what I understand, she is also a great human being. That hits every "must" on my list. 

• Love 12

I wonder what George Clooney would look like if he was of Chicano heritage and dressed like a 1930's gangster...now I know.

Overall, not a bad first episode.  The angels are not that charismatic, but they seemed sincere.

Having it set in Las Vegas reminded me of the recent horrible tragedy,which was unfortunate.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2017 at 7:48 AM, CaptainCranky said:

No, she doesn't. Kelly and the other girls aren't the best hosts in the world, but they-especially Kelly-are talented artists who, as far as I'm concerned, don't have to fit anyone's definition of "sexy" but their own.

• Love 8

I can't stand Kelly. I'm definitely disappointed (and not surprised) to see her back. (Has nothing to do with her skill as an artist [I recognize she is skilled] or her weight [I don't care about this]. I just don't like her.) I hated Tone Chingon and I'm glad he lost. I hope to God that he isn't on the next season of Ink Master. If he is, I may have to give that season a pass. Overall, I don't like the format/structure of this show. That said, like all new shows, I'll give it three episodes to make its case for a continuing OnePass on my TiVO. I'll be interested to lurk here and see what other people think.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:01 PM, azshadowwalker said:

From what I understand, she (Kelly) is also a great human being. That hits every "must" on my list. 

She's awesome.  We ran into each other at a convention in Dallas one year when I was still tattooing. She is funny, smart, and talented, and unbelievably sweet and kind.

• Love 6
(edited)

Interesting! I'm thinking the viewers may have voted for the home team out of loyalty. I'd like to know what the totals were.

I like Deanna and think she has a lot of native talent but will be fodder on the big show. Three years of experience is dicey to start with, along with her seeming preference for putting her own artistic spin on things instead of following the challenge. (Hi, Picasso and Lalo!) In addition, Peck and Nunez historically have a grudge against soft tattoos without clear outlines.

Gia's tattoo was professionally applied but the design was kind of indecipherable to me. I tend not to like dense tattoos with no open space.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1

I liked this format, plus I love the Angels. I eye rolled when they gave the crowd a vote, but then I thought, hey why not? It might be more of a fair fight than just the Angels and the eliminated artists voting on the best tattoos.

I'm assuming only the very best will get to compete in Ink master Season 10, but I fear I'll be let down with some artists getting a vote through because of, well, you know, THE DRAMAS!!

Edited by aussieinsydney
spelling
  • Love 2

Really interesting that Gia had so many problems with the live crowd. Hasn't she ever done conventions or other events where she'd have to tattoo in front of an audience?

I agree that Deanna is fodder. She won that first round on technicality - the rose is going to wash away in a year from the sounds of it. But the other two were so bad that she was the lesser of the evils. Then in the American Traditional, there's no way she would have won with Peck on that one, even if Ejay's color saturation was poor. I'm not sure that she was the right choice to win that one. She made it up against the weakest angel, and may have won a home town crowd. Very weak competition for her throughout (and sorry, I'm including Gia in that). When she is on her season with more talented individuals, she won't last. 

Even though the personalities this week were much more enjoyable than the Vegas episode, I hope we return to artists with more experience in future Angels episodes. 

• Love 1

Dallas didn't have any heavy hitters wanting to audition, I take it. Not overly impressed.

The final face off was a difficult to read tattoo vs one that just didn't grab me artistically. 

I did think that the Angels were better presenters this week. I appreciate the improvement on that front. 

• Love 3

I at least give this week's winner some points for having the sense to pick the weakest of the angels to go up against, unlike that bozo from last week.  Though, as I finish typing that, I now wonder how free the choices really are.  I mean, given the option, wouldn't EVERYONE just pick Gia?  Or maaaaybe Nikki?  Unless the producers are just counting on the contestants to really be too stupid to figure that out?  Which, to be fair, given the history of who has appeared on this show, is maybe not an unreasonable assumption.

I had no idea about Clint.  Very sad.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Rancide said:

... I had no idea about Clint.  Very sad.  

I read that yesterday evening... That also probably explains why "Tattoo Nightmares Miami" had beeen cancelled. Really sad. I liked him a lot :'(

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 2

Deanna should not have won the second round.  Her tattoo did not meet the criteria for American Traditional (I was taught by a master in American Traditional, I KNOW it when I see it).  Her piece was a nicely applied geisha.  But the challenge was American Traditional and the other piece was just that.  So yeah, you don't meet the criteria, you shouldn't win the challenge.

• Love 3