Type keyword(s) to search

The One-Hit Wonders Topic

Sandman87
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, dewelar said:

Only in this country -- they were pretty big in their native UK. I actually preferred their follow-up single, which was also a top 30 song in the US.

(Can't figure out how to insert the link as an image like the previous post...)

The image you mention is the actual video. Just put the YT link in your posts for whatever video and it should show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/18/2023 at 10:22 AM, BlueSkies said:

I've heard this song 47567 times.  It's worn out a little with me but still a good one

Again I'm pretty sure this was their only big song? 

I had some macho guy friends who didn't wanna admit that they loved that song, but I'd catch them listening to it.  😁 

• Like 5

All right the last couple videos I posted here were from the 80's.  So while I love that music it was a little ahead of my time so I wasn't totally sure if these acts/bands had other hits.  The ones I posted were just the songs I knew.

This song came out when I started in high school.  I still recall it on TRL every now and then.  Now this band I honestly could say I've heard or know NOTHING about since this song came out.  But the song is still quite popular.  

It's a good song though. And I still recall Marilyn Manson being annoyed!

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Great song. They did have another one that got a bit of radio airplay back in the day that I really like as well:

There was a cover of the above song that might be more familiar to some people done by Mandy Moore and Jonathan Foreman - I think this version got a little more airplay due to its use in A Walk to Remember:

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/19/2023 at 7:54 PM, Annber03 said:

Great song. They did have another one that got a bit of radio airplay back in the day that I really like as well:

I love that song so much. It's one of those songs that I can remember where I was the first time I heard it (in my room doing homework, but still).

• Like 3

I mean in America I think this was only big hit.  But I know I think in Europe he was more popular.

I only know of him because he's a fellow Aspie.  Think he's still active and works on music 

• Like 3

I remember liking this song. I don't remember hearing anything else by her though even though she had other songs from the album this one was on that charted.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 3/31/2023 at 2:35 PM, BlueSkies said:

I definitely remember that Crush song

This song came out around the same time.  Never heard much else from this band

Your post of that song reminded of this one for some reason. When Katy Perry's song with the same name came out I remember thinking that hers would never be the one I'd think of first.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I could have sworn there was an SNL skit back in the 90s where David Duchovny danced too it.  I couldn't find it on YouTube though 

Don't remember David Duchovny, but I'm pretty sure it was used with Chris Kattan's Mango character...

• Useful 1
On 3/31/2023 at 12:12 AM, Jaded said:

I remember liking this song. I don't remember hearing anything else by her though even though she had other songs from the album this one was on that charted.

She did have a song on the soundtrack for the (widely-panned) movie, Autumn in New York, starring Wynona Ryder and Richard Gere. I liked the song, even if it is sad:

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I heard this song on the 2000's station on Sirius.  I recall it.  I still kinda like it.  I think they were apart of P Diddy's label at the time.  Pretty sure or at least its the only song I ever recall from them

• Like 3
22 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I heard this song on the 2000's station on Sirius.  I recall it.  I still kinda like it.  I think they were apart of P Diddy's label at the time.  Pretty sure or at least its the only song I ever recall from them

They had a second minor hit with "This is Me."

• Useful 1

Taio Cruz is actually a two-hit wonder, I hope it's ok to list him here.  But I've always wondered why he hit it so big with these two songs and then disappeared, at least in the U.S.

"Dynamite" is still occasionally on radio airplay here in the U.S., but I never hear "Break Your Heart" anymore which I thought was his bigger hit.

• Like 1

Starbucks is advertising their ready-to-drink frappuccinos with people stuck in a traffic jam singing along to Matthew Wilder's Break My Stride

There doesn't seem to be an official music video for the song, so enjoy this live performance. Those poor dancers having to do such terrible choreography. 

• Like 3
(edited)

She sounds kind of like Madonna

This was her only song in the top 100.

But when I goggled her name to read on her I came across this pretty interesting wedding article

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/21/style/miss-cuttita-wed-to-dr-mark-lee.html

That is Regina there!  The girl has a very impressive academic background along with her family.  Her dad was the dean of admissions at Columbia Dental School.  She married a doctor herself.

I mean I take it she has the brain power to be doing all right for herself these days.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 2

I think she borders on a one hit wonder.  This is the only song I recall her for.  But I do remember she had a song called Smile as well.  I dont think it was nearly as popular as this one

• Like 1

Yeah, "Smile" was the first song I heard by her. I don't know where it ended up on the charts, but I do remember seeing the video a decent amount back in the day. 

But yes, that "Graduation" song was pretty big, too - obvious go-to choice for high school graduations. And considering it came out around the time people would be graduating at the turn of the century besides, well...

God, it's been so long since I've heard either of those songs. Will have to give them a listen tonight. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, "Smile" was the first song I heard by her. I don't know where it ended up on the charts, but I do remember seeing the video a decent amount back in the day. 

But yes, that "Graduation" song was pretty big, too - obvious go-to choice for high school graduations. And considering it came out around the time people would be graduating at the turn of the century besides, well...

God, it's been so long since I've heard either of those songs. Will have to give them a listen tonight. 

I came across this one as well.  Another sort of high school chant back in the day.  This just looks so 90s.  I recall this video but nothing else about this group.  I assume this their only hit 

• Like 4

Huh.  I've never heard any of those three songs (Smile, Graduation, or Popular).  I listened to each briefly to see if I recognized them, and decided I hadn't missed anything.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:07 PM, BlueSkies said:

I came across this one as well.  Another sort of high school chant back in the day.  This just looks so 90s.  I recall this video but nothing else about this group.  I assume this their only hit 

I was obsessed with this song in middle school, I thought it was hilarious.

• Like 2