Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Battle for the South: The Race Through Savannah

The final two food truck teams arrive in Savannah; teams leave food trucks and sell from pedicabs; each team has a half hour to make as much food as possible to sell out of their own pedicabs.

• Love 1

I thoroughly liked both of the two finalists so it was hard to see either team lose.  I felt like the winning truck had an advantage with their truck theme and the seafood options in Savannah.  Hoping for very good things for the 2nd place truck.  The winning truck -- great folks.  

• Love 4

What on Earth are we going to do with scallops? Ugh. I've got to think that was producer prompted idiocy. That was straight out of an infomercial.

All of these people are allegedly chefs. Chefs who also had shrimp on their menus. Complete stupidity.

Congrats to Braised in the South.

• Love 2

Meh. Predictable ending but good for them. I wish we knew the final totals because I bet Braised would have creamed them even without winning the challenges. 

I really hate how controlled this show has become with pre-selected stores and pre-selected parking spots. I understand it's probably much easier from a production standpoint but it takes away a lot of the really fun aspects of this show. I miss when they used to source ingredients from specialty stores or partner with local businesses.

I really hated the format of this final leg. They should just let them sell and forget the stupid challenges for the finale. My favourite finale was when they still pretended it was sort of a race and the teams had to make a certain amount of money before they could move on to the next location. (It also really sucks that the guy with the shellfish allergy got stuck with 3 different shellfish on the final leg. I mean, they would have lost anyway but it still sucks.)

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

What on Earth are we going to do with scallops? Ugh. I've got to think that was producer prompted idiocy. That was straight out of an infomercial.

All of these people are allegedly chefs. Chefs who also had shrimp on their menus. Complete stupidity.

Honestly. 

You have scallops. You are a po' boy truck. And it took you over five minutes to come up with the grand idea of....scallop po' boys?  

• Love 7

I liked the Po' Boys crew.  They seemed like nice people but the Braised guys have been my favorites all along so I'm glad they won.  I hope they take that 50K (minus taxes) and put it towards something mutually beneficial.

I sort of hated the pedicab challenge partly because any outdoor activity in heat is my idea of misery and partly because I was worried one of them would pass out from all that physical activity they weren't used to, especially on a very hot day.

• Love 7

I was OK with either team winning, but I hate the stupid challenges (like the pedicab) that they throw in the finale. At least they didn't do foot race, that first episode still rankles.

• Love 2

I was disappointed in the finale because it was obvious Mr. Po' Boy would make Po' Boys and Braised in the South would make tacos. Personally, I liked Po Boys better in concept, and the fact that their sandwiches looked so yummy.  The name Braised in the South left me puzzled as to what they would serve, and it certainly didn't suggest totchoes, or whatever those things were.  The guys seemed nice enough, though, and we were spared having to listen to Mama on a Stick shriek and yell, and warch Mikey fuss with his stupid hair. 

• Love 5

I am happy Braised won, although I also don't quite get their truck name.  I have two thoughts- the first is that production gave everyone their names (which, we would've been upset about had we competed because our name was very specific to us) and the second is that they came up with the truck name based on their expertise and then ended up whittling down the menu to what was easiest to prep very quickly and would sell well. 

I did notice for the first time when watching that the Braised boys vehicles had MN license plates, which was really weird to me.  I guess that's where the trucks were made? 

Honestly, I've never had a Po' Boy and don't even really know if I had heard of one before this show (if I saw it on a menu before, I probably just slid right by it).  I probably wouldn't have stopped at their truck.  To me, the sandwiches sounded almost all exactly the same except swapping out the protein.  The talking heads praised the flavor, so maybe they were really good but they just used all the same spices and stuff and just swapped in the new shellfish.  I prefer creativity and originality.

• Love 2

That was kind of anti-climactic. Braised has shown that they are clearly the best business, so once they won the first challenge it was all over. I was happy to see that Po' Boys took their loss in relatively good humor because they seemed to take it harder than the other teams this season. Both teams did well enough that should they choose to open a food truck business, they won't have a problem finding funding. So win win. 

No lamp posts where harmed during this production!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Congrats to Braised in the South.

I dunno they were under a time constraint and are trying to push product out and then have to think about a new menu option on the fly. Plus Po’ Boys was kinda stuck into one thing AND the cook has a shellfish allergy. I kinda wish they had scraped this idea of cash prizes and just done a race like a couple other seasons. Use the same locations but make it where they have to sale X of the special for that area before moving forward to the next location and special.

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I am happy Braised won, although I also don't quite get their truck name.  I have two thoughts- the first is that production gave everyone their names (which, we would've been upset about had we competed because our name was very specific to us) and the second is that they came up with the truck name based on their expertise and then ended up whittling down the menu to what was easiest to prep very quickly and would sell well. 

I did notice for the first time when watching that the Braised boys vehicles had MN license plates, which was really weird to me.  I guess that's where the trucks were made? 

Honestly, I've never had a Po' Boy and don't even really know if I had heard of one before this show (if I saw it on a menu before, I probably just slid right by it).  I probably wouldn't have stopped at their truck.  To me, the sandwiches sounded almost all exactly the same except swapping out the protein.  The talking heads praised the flavor, so maybe they were really good but they just used all the same spices and stuff and just swapped in the new shellfish.  I prefer creativity and originality.

You literally just dinged the entire po’ boy concept. It’s basically a sandwich where everything is the same except the protein as to keep overhead low and the sandwich cheap so “poor boys” can order it and have a meal. I kinda feel Mr Po’ Boys had to have cheaper prices while Braised was doing the traditional GFTR $10-12 price range and Po never thought to raise the prices.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Hey, don’t knock the tatchoes!! I made my own after watching them and they’re good!

They're your arteries, @cooks (she said, affectionately doubling down)!*

*I have no room to talk, however, having just downed a bag of White Truffle Potato Chips.  (They were organic, though!!!)

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

You literally just dinged the entire po’ boy concept. It’s basically a sandwich where everything is the same except the protein as to keep overhead low and the sandwich cheap so “poor boys” can order it and have a meal. I kinda feel Mr Po’ Boys had to have cheaper prices while Braised was doing the traditional GFTR $10-12 price range and Po never thought to raise the prices.

Lol.  I guess it's just not for me then.

5 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

I dunno they were under a time constraint and are trying to push product out and then have to think about a new menu option on the fly. Plus Po’ Boys was kinda stuck into one thing AND the cook has a shellfish allergy.

I think both teams pondering what to do about scallops was ridiculous. When most people describe scallops to people who have never eaten them, the most common comparison is to shrimp. It's not perfect, but they have similar tastes, textures, and cooking times. Mr. Po' Boy was already making a shrimp po' boy. The cook has a shellfish allergy, but the other guy on the team is also supposed to be a chef. Braised in the South was dumb too. After contemplating and rejecting a scallop taco because that sounded "weird and gross" even though they make a shrimp taco, Braised then substitutes scallops for the shrimp in shrimp and grits. It's curious how both teams managed to use scallops in place of shrimp. I get that the pressure of competition might have made them a little slower and dumber, but it's only a protein substitution and it's a protein that easily substitutes with the protein that they had just been using. It's not like they had to change from beef to fish to tofu.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think both teams pondering what to do about scallops was ridiculous. When most people describe scallops to people who have never eaten them, the most common comparison is to shrimp. It's not perfect, but they have similar tastes, textures, and cooking times. Mr. Po' Boy was already making a shrimp po' boy. The cook has a shellfish allergy, but the other guy on the team is also supposed to be a chef. Braised in the South was dumb too. After contemplating and rejecting a scallop taco because that sounded "weird and gross" even though they make a shrimp taco, Braised then substitutes scallops for the shrimp in shrimp and grits. It's curious how both teams managed to use scallops in place of shrimp. I get that the pressure of competition might have made them a little slower and dumber, but it's only a protein substitution and it's a protein that easily substitutes with the protein that they had just been using. It's not like they had to change from beef to fish to tofu.

I now wish that they had to use Tofu in all their dishes on one leg. I want the finale to be an actual race.

• Love 1

Dear Braised. Congratulations from a South Carolinian! I wanna go visit your food truck! When I saw you calling all your wives, I was heartbroken and wanted to cry. So glad you won! Dear Mr. Po' Boy, Please don't cry; you'll do better next time. You took a chance.

- Simon47

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Honestly, I've never had a Po' Boy and don't even really know if I had heard of one before this show (if I saw it on a menu before, I probably just slid right by it). 

Po' Boy is a regional term. In other parts of the country their sandwiches would be known as Heroes, Submarines, Wedgies, Hoagies, etc.