Type keyword(s) to search

No-End House

Coming out of lurkerdom for this show.  The premise hits my sweetspot:  I love psychological horror, haunted houses, and the idea of being trapped in liminal space.  Helloooo No End House.

Agree that this show has a lot of promise.  Please don't mess it up!  Things that have me wondering:

1) Did anyone catch what the girl in the opening scene had written on her arm?  And the guy who came after her...did we see him again?  A lot of the secondary characters are still blending together for me.

2) I wonder what the rules of the house are.  If you leave in the first three rooms, my guess is you're allowed to return to the real world. Once you hit room '4' though, you're trapped.

3) One of the heads in the first room wasn't cracked.  Which one was it again?

Did anyone catch anything else?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, FoxAriadne said:

1) Did anyone catch what the girl in the opening scene had written on her arm?  And the guy who came after her...did we see him again?  A lot of the secondary characters are still blending together for me.

1) She had "This is not real" (which was also the episode title) scratched into her arm. I don't think they showed the guy who was chasing her again.

3) J.D., the childhood friend they were playing pool with.

I didn't catch it at first, but realized on re-watch was why her friend Jules seemed to stop in surprise when looking at Margot's house at the end: there was a big number 6 next to the front door.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, FoxAriadne said:

Coming out of lurkerdom for this show.  The premise hits my sweetspot:  I love psychological horror, haunted houses, and the idea of being trapped in liminal space.  Helloooo No End House.

Agree that this show has a lot of promise.  Please don't mess it up!  Things that have me wondering:

2) I wonder what the rules of the house are.  If you leave in the first three rooms, my guess is you're allowed to return to the real world. Once you hit room '4' though, you're trapped.

Did anyone catch anything else?

I kind if zoned out during the bar scene and the one in which the main character was sitting by the pool with a guy, so I couldn't remember who the guys were after that. I kept waiting for the main character to see her dad as one of the busts. The corpse guy sitting in the room in which her dad died was the creepiest.

This was WAY better than the first season's opening. I didn't want to watch this season, but saw a promo and decided to give it another try.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the pilot and it started off with a bang. The reason the first room with the heads was so creepy I think was the weird old time music. Nothing like something old to make something creepy. And then when the light went off and came back on the music was all distorted!!! It was creepy also when the chick(forgot her name already even though I like this) sees the room that looks like her living room and sees presumably her dad watching home movies. I think what is so creepy about this is not how he looks but it seems like she is viewing him in some kind of personal purgatory just sitting there watching home movies. Anyway like this and I hope they go good from here.  Also thought the invite video was creepy with the lunatic laughter. The same laughter as the creepy guy hiding behind the mirror that was the girls fear.

I also really enjoyed the premiere. The sequence of the characters going through the haunted house was well-done; the makers of this show understand about setting up a mood and creating suspense instead of just going straight for jump scares as has sadly become so prevalent in horror nowadays.

Aisha Dee seems to be everywhere right now and it's well-deserved, but I groaned when her character's name was revealed to be Jules, because on one of her other shows she played the best friend of a character named Jules, and it's just going to cross my wires every time "Jules" is said here.

There must be more to the story of the death of Margot's dad. Of course losing a parent is traumatizing, but I just feel like there's something she's not saying. Also, Margot's blaming herself for her dad's death because she wasn't home by ten, so where was her mother that night?

I like that this season includes a strong female friendship that passes the Bechdel test (although if last season is anything to go by, at least one of them will end up dead). Jules understood the Martian reference when Margot told her it had been whispered in her ear, and wanted to leave. I wonder if Margot and Jules are the only ones caught in this illusion where they think they've left the house but haven't (I'm pretty sure that's what was going on at the end), or if the guys also are. We haven't seen them.

• Love 1

Was that Margot's mom that her dad was eating in the basement? Very weird.

This episode seemed slow and/or marking time. It didn't seem to advance the story much. Several (all?) characters realized they aren't in the real world, but that's about all that happened.

8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Was that Margot's mom that her dad was eating in the basement? Very weird.

This episode seemed slow and/or marking time. It didn't seem to advance the story much. Several (all?) characters realized they aren't in the real world, but that's about all that happened.

I thought it was Margot's mom, and that the "father" accessed by touch Margot's memories to create her. Or something. 

So, the house is exploiting Margot's grief and JD's insecurity and self-esteem issues (well, possibly exploited for JD),  We got a hint at what Seth's storyline will be, I guess, and learned more about Devon and Lacey. But so far, Jules issue places her in "sidekick" territory. her issue being guilt that she wasn't a good enough friend to Margot. Maybe there's more to it. Not that I wish bad things on Jules, but I would really love for her to have a storyline that is about her and not Margot (I see enough "black best friend only there to support the white lead" on Hallmark holiday movies). Though it could be good to watch her be the rescuer/voice of reason, if that's how things unfold. 

JD's got (had?) a double, and it looked like a hand formed in the shadows in the egg Jules touched so will she have a doppelganger, too? 

Last season was a disappointed, but so far I'm glad I gave this a chance. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Darian said:

I thought it was Margot's mom, and that the "father" accessed by touch Margot's memories to create her. Or something. 

So, the house is exploiting Margot's grief and JD's insecurity and self-esteem issues (well, possibly exploited for JD),  We got a hint at what Seth's storyline will be, I guess, and learned more about Devon and Lacey. But so far, Jules issue places her in "sidekick" territory. her issue being guilt that she wasn't a good enough friend to Margot. Maybe there's more to it. Not that I wish bad things on Jules, but I would really love for her to have a storyline that is about her and not Margot (I see enough "black best friend only there to support the white lead" on Hallmark holiday movies). Though it could be good to watch her be the rescuer/voice of reason, if that's how things unfold. 

JD's got (had?) a double, and it looked like a hand formed in the shadows in the egg Jules touched so will she have a doppelganger, too? 

Last season was a disappointed, but so far I'm glad I gave this a chance. 

Hey i got confused a little with the Seth storyline. He is the one with the very dark almost black hair right?  Last night i was watching on a smaller tv several feet away so did not see as much detail as a nice large tv. I saw him walk passed what looked like people locked behind bars but could not tell who they were and cannot remember what they are saying. Were they characters we were already introduced to or new people? Anyone remember what they were saying to him? His storyline was confusing and as of yet not sure what Jules is although we saw that image of her in the tub wonder if it was a suicide attempt. And yes also curious who that woman was. It's like the dad was dragging the memory out of her head of her mom and then consuming and erasing it? If that was her mom. Anyway the dad consuming the image of that woman makes me think this is definitely not her dad or is a dark demented version of her dad. 

Thanks all for your answers to my questions.  

While searching for more info on the show, came across this great recap that delves into a lot of the details, like what the heck was that creepy song in Room 1? - http://scifi4me.com/2017/09/21/live-and-learn-not-on-channel-zero-no-end-house/.

Was captivated by episode #2 but I have very complex feelings about pomegranates now.  

Here are my theories about what's going on:

1) What's up with NotDad and NotJD?

They're Pinocchios.  They're not real humans, but they're self-aware and determined to become real boys.  The way they're compelled to do that is by eating their victim's memories, the memories containing the essence of humanity.  My suspicion is that after the cannibals devour enough memories, the host becomes zombified, like that blank girl who was with NotJD, and the cannibal moves on to another victim.  And yes, I'm about 100% sure the woman who got munched on was Margo's mom.   

2) What is Jules' secret?  

I'm less sure, but my guess is the Happy Fun Ball of Doom represents some suppressed memories.  I also noticed when Jules was in the bathtub in the beginning that she was listening to (or trying not to listen to) a VM from Margo asking for help.

3) What's up with Seth?

He's the guy who bounced around from foster home to foster home, so maybe it's not surprising that he doesn't have a home to go to at the No End House and that his neighborhood was the least defined/foggy.  Pretty sure that was his family locked away behind the fence.  Maybe his dream family is unreachable? I missed what they were saying.

4) To come back to JD, he was the only one in the original group whose sculpture wasn't cracked open.  I think because he didn't have any traumatic memories for the House to exploit.  He wasn't a tasty target but the House found another way to manipulate him.  Curious to see what happens to NotJD...does he become a real boy?  I doubt it, but he might level up. 

Edited by FoxAriadne
Because I am new at this.
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, FoxAriadne said:

2) What is Jules' secret?  

I'm less sure, but my guess is the Happy Fun Ball of Doom represents some suppressed memories.  I also noticed when Jules was in the bathtub in the beginning that she was listening to (or trying not to listen to) a VM from Margo asking for help.

I was thinking that it might be an egg and Jules had an abortion. Jules seems to have mysteriously disappeared when Margot needed her most. Maybe Jules also had some things she to work through at the same time before her college deadline hit.

On 9/28/2017 at 8:56 AM, Darian said:

I wonder if Margot will still remember her mother after this. If her father eats enough of her memories she might not go looking for the exit.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, FoxAriadne said:

Was captivated by episode #2 but I have very complex feelings about pomegranates now.

That's exactly what I thought of when Dad started eating. I'll never again look at pomegranates without thinking about that scene.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

That's exactly what I thought of when Dad started eating. I'll never again look at pomegranates without thinking about that scene.

I thought it looked look the  juicy cherries in a cherry pie. And that thought does not turn me off of cherry pie.

1 minute ago, Stringey said:

I thought it looked look the  juicy cherries in a cherry pie. And that thought does not turn me off of cherry pie.

Hey so is that why when the not -dad are the omelette he said it tasted like nothing. Is it because that is not food for him and real food for him is devouring memories manifested in images? At first in that scene at breakfast I thought it was tasteless simply because the food was not real however if that had been the case then Margot would not have tasted anything. So apparently in the whole not-world the pretend food has taste. I swear this whole alternate universe these people are trapped in reminds me of elements from different fairytales. Even though it's not really the same I am still reminded of Alice and Wonderland for some reason. Also am reminded of something I heard once of the idea of there being more than one universe and other versions of ourselves. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Stringey said:

Hey so is that why when the not -dad are the omelette he said it tasted like nothing. Is it because that is not food for him and real food for him is devouring memories manifested in images?

There might be several different reasons for this, when Margot was putting the eggs back in the refrigerator there was already an identical set of eggs in the location that should have been empty and she set the old eggs on top of the new eggs. This might suggest that the world is on a fixed loop where nothing really changes and if she opens the refrigerator again there will be one carton of eggs with none missing. Food feels real to Margot and nobody else. Something similar happens to the doppelganger of the guy where the clone remembers pistachio ice cream, but not how it tastes. The memories of Margot are probably the only thing that satisfies her father. The more memories he takes, the less reasons Margot has to find the exit to the room. I think the other situations will be different. The other guy might be the more passive he is the more aggressive his doppelganger becomes.

• Love 2

Hey so is that why when the not -dad are the omelette he said it tasted like nothing. Is it because that is not food for him and real food for him is devouring memories manifested in images?

Could be that.  My take is that the No End House accesses your memories and uses them to create a deadly dreamworld.  Since your memories include tastes, smells, and sensations, Margot and any other real person in No End House will be able to taste the food, even if the world they're in isn't physically real.  NotDad's not a real person, he's some sort of golem and has no such sensory experiences, hence food doesn't taste like anything to him.

Agree that this is a bit like a fairytale, which is probably why I like it so much. I actually cringed when Margot ate the omelet, because in the fairy realms, if you eat the food you can never leave.  

• Love 1

I think the girl on the couch didn't say a word because it was based on JDs memory/idea of the ideal woman, whom he's never spoken to.

Did backpack guy shoot his real wife?

This season is shaping up better than the first, and the six episodes make it tight with no real room for filler.

The only complaint I have with this show (and most SyFy shows) is that their HD cameras seem to be about 10+ years old.  There are dark scenes where the quality is so bad and pixelated it looks like someone upconverted a standard definition signal.  It's distracting.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2017 at 5:56 AM, Darian said:

But so far, Jules issue places her in "sidekick" territory. her issue being guilt that she wasn't a good enough friend to Margot. Maybe there's more to it. Not that I wish bad things on Jules, but I would really love for her to have a storyline that is about her and not Margot (I see enough "black best friend only there to support the white lead" on Hallmark holiday movies). Though it could be good to watch her be the rescuer/voice of reason, if that's how things unfold.

Totally agree. But the house targets everyone who goes through it. Guilt over not being a good enough friend to Margot doesn't qualify as something that would inspire terror, and Jules is clearly freaked by the egg/room that she doesn't want to talk about. So I don't think the guilt is Jules's real issue, it was just the way to separate the friends so that Margot can fall deeper into the illusion of the Father while Jules gets sucked into her own horror. I'm sure we'll find out whatever is going on with Jules, but we're really only one episode into this scenario (as the first episode was the set-up for the house) so there hasn't been time to fully delve into all the characters. This was a Margot and JD episode.

Although Jules may well also end up being the rescuer (which will let us avoid the "minority character always dies" trope). Judging by the look she shot Margot when Margot was about to eat the omelet, she knows her fairy tales and Greek myths (those were totally pomegranate seeds that the Father was eating at the end).

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Although Jules may well also end up being the rescuer (which will let us avoid the "minority character always dies" trope). Judging by the look she shot Margot when Margot was about to eat the omelet, she knows her fairy tales and Greek myths (those were totally pomegranate seeds that the Father was eating at the end).

I thought the exact same thing. Jules gave Margot a look that said "Don't you know you are not supposed to eat the food when you are in another realm of existence!"

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I think the girl on the couch didn't say a word because it was based on JDs memory/idea of the ideal woman, whom he's never spoken to.

Did backpack guy shoot his real wife?

This season is shaping up better than the first, and the six episodes make it tight with no real room for filler.

The only complaint I have with this show (and most SyFy shows) is that their HD cameras seem to be about 10+ years old.  There are dark scenes where the quality is so bad and pixelated it looks like someone upconverted a standard definition signal.  It's distracting.

I believe backpack guy lost his real wife in the no end house some time in the past. He went back in to enter the fake world to find her. He was aware the first image of his wife or girlfriend was not real because she was wearing a shirt that was really back in a closeted. But he was so sure the second image of her in that house was real even after she insisted she did not know him. Why did he think that one was real especially after she insisted she did not know him. Either the clones in the other world can regenerate themselves or its possible to have more than one.

• Love 3

There is something creepy at the thought of another plane of existence and finding yourself being trapped there. A world that is parallel to our own and almost the same as our own with slight differences.  A Alice and Wonderland type place where everything seems off. Clones of people that look and act similar  but are really zombie versions of those people. Physics and science do not apply in these lands and eggs can just reappear again in a refrigerator and cyclists can appear again. After watching this episode I started imagining what it would be like to be trapped somewhere like that and all the weird possibilities. If I opened my closet would it just be a closet or would there be no floor just a endless drop into darkness like the pool was an endless abyss going down. Would my dog be exactly the same or would he have a third eye on his belly. Anyway I liken the idea that we might see more and more abnormalities in this parallel world these people are in. Things that have changed and don't make sense.

• Love 3

Jules egg thing, they mentioned something about her having a sister. Jules seems to have gotten a majority of her memories sucked out. I don't think either of the two boys are real, but cannibals trying to escape to the real world.

Unfortunately I find Margot and her dad the least interesting of the group.   Everyone is so...casual about being stuck in No-End House with a bunch of memory cannibals, except for Dylan.  I guess it's like Dylan said, they start to accept it, which is maybe part of the thrall of the place.

I am curious about where they're going with it - do the cannibals eventually get back to the real world?  Like the guy watering the lawn and his wife I guess it was; are there cannibal versions of them, with their memories, out in the world? 

I also thought Jules had maybe had an abortion, now I'm not so sure, since her memories seem to center around her family.  That last scene of her, with her head stuck to the egg thing, was more silly than creepy,  Sometimes less is more, show! 

That first half hour was some of the most intense TV I've seen in ages.  Wow!

Unfortunately the second part couldn't match the first half. It felt like the characters stopped being smart and started to sink into old horror movie tropes.

Other random thoughts on the episode:

1) The show gave new meaning to the schoolyard taunt, "Up your nose with a rubber hose."

2) When flower guy was killed and his wife ran over, screaming, my take is that it's because she was a cannibal and NotDad had just killed her perfectly compliant, lobotomized food source.

3) Margo's escape to the Russian classroom.  They mentioned in Episode 1 that No End House had recently turned up in Russia, so this made sense.

4)  Seth.  Oh, Seth.  What the hell are you?  My theories are as follows:

a) He was a regular guy in the real world, but when he got to No End House, he met a fate similar to JT.

b) He's an actual human, not a memory, who's willingly working with No End House. 

c) He's a cannibal who became a real boy.

Notice that not only does Seth not have much of a history, but that he couldn't even answer how old he was. "Twenty-something."  

5) Speaking of JT and becoming a real boy, it's impressive that the show could make me feel sympathy for a character who was seen cheerfully burning a body in a firepit earlier in the episode.    

On 10/7/2017 at 11:09 PM, FoxAriadne said:

4)  Seth.  Oh, Seth.  What the hell are you?  My theories are as follows:

a) He was a regular guy in the real world, but when he got to No End House, he met a fate similar to JT.

b) He's an actual human, not a memory, who's willingly working with No End House. 

c) He's a cannibal who became a real boy.

Notice that not only does Seth not have much of a history, but that he couldn't even answer how old he was. "Twenty-something." 

Right now I'm leaning towards option A because it's the option that I feel like we know the least about.  I mean presumably alternate JT was dreamed up and wanted by real JT in the same way that Margot dreamed up her dad, so to speak.  But they've left a lot of wiggle room to have that be something else so I'm inclined to lump Seth in there.  Or with the weird orgasm bubble thing in the garage because seriously wtf was that.

I'm also playing with the Seth is a real human angle; maybe his whole memory was eaten like backpack dude's wife.

Welp, I had to quit. I was as lost as they were in the corn maize (get it?). I don't know nor care who the male characters are. I was here only for Margot and Jules. Them all running through a cornfield for an entire episode when there are only eight? ten? in the season doesn't advance the story. I hope it gets better for y'all's sake!

A little glad that future episodes will (likely) not feature JT because every time I'd see him, I couldn't help but think the person playing him was Fran Lebowitz: 

aiudfylir.jpg

I'm more interested in Jules because we don't quite know what's going on with her.  This season has the same issue as last season - it tells us a lot of what is going on, which cuts down on the suspense for me.  There's the question of are they still in the house, if not, how did Margot's dad get out - but none of that is tense or scary.  There was disturbing imagery in this one and it did have a creepy vibe at least.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:11 PM, Jordan61 said:

Does anyone else hear people yelling "Margot" and yell back "polo!"? Just me then?

J.D. looks disturbingly like Sara Gilbert.

Yes yes he does!!!! Also didn't she have a son that would be about that age by now? What's this guy's last name. I  am sure it's not her son but would be curious to find out for sure.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:14 AM, Stringey said:

There is something creepy at the thought of another plane of existence and finding yourself being trapped there. A world that is parallel to our own and almost the same as our own with slight differences.  A Alice and Wonderland type place where everything seems off. Clones of people that look and act similar  but are really zombie versions of those people. Physics and science do not apply in these lands and eggs can just reappear again in a refrigerator and cyclists can appear again. After watching this episode I started imagining what it would be like to be trapped somewhere like that and all the weird possibilities. If I opened my closet would it just be a closet or would there be no floor just a endless drop into darkness like the pool was an endless abyss going down. Would my dog be exactly the same or would he have a third eye on his belly. Anyway I liken the idea that we might see more and more abnormalities in this parallel world these people are in. Things that have changed and don't make sense.

Ha ha I guess I called it with the closet thing. Her closet was kind of a portal abyss that opened up on the swimming pool.

22 hours ago, Stringey said:

Yes yes he does!!!! Also didn't she have a son that would be about that age by now? What's this guy's last name. I  am sure it's not her son but would be curious to find out for sure.

I just looked it up and the son is biologically her ex-partner's child and the daughter is hers. He is only 13, in any case.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:14 PM, Jordan61 said:

I just looked it up and the son is biologically her ex-partner's child and the daughter is hers. He is only 13, in any case.

Oh I thought I saw some paparazzi video of Sara and a very small boy in 2002.

For those that love American horror story like I do I just discovered the man that plays Margots dad and notdad is the man who played twisty the clown. He did awesome in that role. He also played the serial killer Josh Wayne Gary in one episode of another season. He was very good and creepy in this show especially when notdad was looking in the mirror that one episode rehearsing how to act human. When he was saying good morning Margot over and over.

On 10/13/2017 at 0:33 AM, AnimeMania said:

They really need to tell us what is going on with Jules, it's like the only person the show cares about is Margot.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:39 PM, raven said:

I'm more interested in Jules because we don't quite know what's going on with her.  This season has the same issue as last season - it tells us a lot of what is going on, which cuts down on the suspense for me.  There's the question of are they still in the house, if not, how did Margot's dad get out - but none of that is tense or scary.  There was disturbing imagery in this one and it did have a creepy vibe at least.

I don't know why, but after this past episode, I felt that Jules had already visited the (or a version of the) No End House prior to her visiting Margot.  And that Jules, like the dude Margot was falling for, is a human emissary for the house sent to recruit more victims.  She was the only other person who didn't have someone "personal" from her memories emerge or a house cannibal who was relied on her for feeding besides the giant egg thing.    

• Love 1

Am I the only one who is not completely satisfied with this season. I like the plot of the alternate world I don't know just not completely satisfied with how it's been executed. I would have liked to see more stuff regarding House Land. I do like the artificial people and how some of them are on a loop and they just repeat actions over and over. Not the clones I mean the people that are part of House Land. Would have loved to just see some more weirdo stuff. For example maybe somebody could have had a puppy that looked and acted completely normal but when you run his belly you discover a extra eye under his fur. It looks like we are out of House Land although we don't know for sure. Maybe someone can answer a couple questions I have. The people that kept calling out for their kids were those all some of the artificial people?? They acted like it because they kept saying things on a loop over and over. However wasn't the one that kept saying sweet heart one of the cannibals? She was starved and would try and eat anyone's memories right? Also isn't it  the normal rule the cannibals will eat from their real counterpart?? Maybe someone can answer some of these questions. Usually I am good out figuring things out in horror but this has been kind of confusing.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:54 PM, LittleIggy said:

They’ll need to get the Father back where he belongs.

Yeah, I know, but if i went through that mess, I think I'd be long gone. Let him eat someone else's memories. Lol. And I'm a huge proponent of empathy and caring for other, but heck no on TV. Let someone shoot him or something.

1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

What is the deal with whom the cannibals eat? The father ate Margot’s “mother” (conjured from her memories).

The cannibals probably eat the people you care about most, so that you don't think about wanting to leave.

• Love 1

Couldn’t they have just bound and gagged Father and left him in the shed until he starved.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:13 PM, millahnna said:

Don't you dare eat memory puppy.  Not cool, bro.

That grossed me out more than him eating Memory Mother. I was like “Not the ?!”

• Love 2