Type keyword(s) to search

No-End House

Okay, I'm officially a sap. That was so sad. And scary. With lesser actors it wouldn't have been nearly so good. It could have come across as silly, but man, John Carroll Lynch brings it every time.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 6

Having finished up, I found this season disappointing. I agree that John Carroll Lynch did a really good job, but other than that there were just a lot of missed opportunities and too much lack of explanation. For instance, why did the Father who forced Margot to return to the No-End house in the last episode suddenly become so reasonable in this one?

It was a mistake to focus on Margot so much. I did like her story, but more time should have been devoted to the others, apart from JD who I felt did get reasonably fleshed out in his own story even if it was just the one episode that culminated in his murder at the end. The guy with the wife could have been interesting, but they really spent no time on fleshing out that story. I thought Jules would have more, but I was wrong; it did end up with her simply being the best friend (at least she got to save the day, but still). They took the lazy route of the egg so they didn't have to bother actually creating an issue of her own to deal with apart from "I wasn't a good enough friend!" guilt.

Seth finally got interesting in the last episode when he talked about his admiration for the house - it really made the house come alive as a character in its own right, which was rather lacking otherwise - and how its eating of memories could be used to one's advantage. It makes me wonder what the memories were that he didn't want to have, but of course since he gave those memories up there was no way for him to tell us. Abuse, probably (not that that justifies his actions). His end was fitting and one of the truly satisfying moments of the series.

Margot mentioned wanting to keep the house from getting any new victims, and then completely dropped it (and not because the Father ate the memory of the idea).

Margot telling Jules that she was literally the last thing Margot would choose to forget was sweet but unearned based on what Margot knew (especially since her mom seemed decent), but I suppose one could make the argument that she did know deep inside that despite Jules's past failings she would still be the kind of best friend who would come through in the end.

I'm curious as to what sort of life Margot will have now outside if all she remembers is Jules, the Father, and Seth, after having been gone for a year. And I'm not sure if Jules has the same problem or not. From what we were told, the egg should've hollowed her out, but she ended up fighting her way out of it and she certainly retained her memories of Margot, so does that she mean she also regained the memories of her family that she'd previously lost?

• Love 2

Though I'm glad to have this type of creepy show on TV and that it's coming back, I thought this installment was just OK.  It started well with the group moving through the house but then spent too much time in the house world before the escape; lots of strolling around with little momentum.  I agree with @Black Knight that focusing on Margot was a mistake, I didn't find her particularly interesting and we knew right away what her deal was.  I was much more interested in Jules, who was played by a more charismatic actress I thought, and whose story left us with so many questions.  Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I loved that she was proactive in saving Margot, but I couldn't help but feel that time was wasted watching Margot eat eggs, have sex with Seth, etc.   Too much of seeing blank people after we'd already figured out what was going on.

Also, the sequence when Margot was trying to get away from her father after Seth gave him the overdose was ridiculous.  He couldn't SEE and she was moving soooo slowly of course he was going to catch her.  Just run out the door instead of slowly opening it.  Then when the three of them were going back into the house, there was no reason that she and Seth coudn't overpower him, except of course Seth wanted to go back into the house.  The only decent thing about that sequence was that I was reminded of when Margot first went into the house and there was the blind figure in front of the blank TV, holding the remote, who then got up and stumbled around towards her, as her father was doing here.

There was some good and some bad to this one.  It did seem as if Margot the left the door to the house open and the end when she and Jules left, after she wanted to close it earlier.

• Love 2

Just finished this season. Everything was pretty much explained except for the first sequence in the first episode. Or maybe I missed the explanation. We first see Jules scared and running towards the house. This man is following her and tackles her before she gets into the house and does something with her arm. I kept waiting to see that scene in one of the episodes but no. Did I miss something?

On 3/15/2018 at 11:17 AM, margol29 said:

We first see Jules scared and running towards the house. This man is following her and tackles her before she gets into the house and does something with her arm. I kept waiting to see that scene in one of the episodes but no. Did I miss something?

That wasn't Jules. I believe it was Lacey, Dylan's wife.