Type keyword(s) to search

S35: Alan Ball

• Start Topic

I'm well aware why a former football player would be on the Heroes tribe.  But given Probst's definition of what Hustlers is supposed to mean, it seems like a guy who got paid to run back and forth across a field would have made a better hustler than hero (then again I'm trying to figure out how Simone fits into the Hustler scheme with her occupation).

I like him so far.  Was he well known in the football circuit?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Not a star, no, though as someone who watches a lot of NFL I knew the name. I could tell you he played defense but not position (cornerback mostly) or team (s). So from Wikipedia, the summary is basically: Drafted in the seventh round by the Cowboys. Made the practice squad his first year and then got activated to the lineup when someone was injured. He also played for Houston, Jacksonville, Chicago, and Arizona, and several years he was starter-quality. Right now he's a free agent. He's had some issues with injuries.

I did note that he was also a track star in college.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, simplyme said:

Not a star, no, though as someone who watches a lot of NFL I knew the name. I could tell you he played defense but not position (cornerback mostly) or team (s). So from Wikipedia, the summary is basically: Drafted in the seventh round by the Cowboys. Made the practice squad his first year and then got activated to the lineup when someone was injured. He also played for Houston, Jacksonville, Chicago, and Arizona, and several years he was starter-quality. Right now he's a free agent. He's had some issues with injuries.

I did note that he was also a track star in college.

Thanks!  I know he said in his video his celebrity wasn't huge, but I was just curious from someone else's perspective.  Maybe we'll have another Gary "I'm a landscaper" Hawkins situation :)

He said that he gets cranky at his own wife when he's hungry.  Hopefully his tribe wins plenty of RC.  Probably a good thing he didn't compete back in the day when your food reward was one slice of pizza and a candy bar meant to be divided by 6 people.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
On 8/31/2017 at 9:38 PM, LadyChatts said:

Thanks!  I know he said in his video his celebrity wasn't huge, but I was just curious from someone else's perspective.  Maybe we'll have another Gary "I'm a landscaper" Hawkins situation :)

Difference is that Hogeboom played the most high profile position for one of the most high profile teams. I mean, he wasn't Staubach or even Danny White, but anyone who watched football in that era would have known who Gary Hogeboom was. Alan Ball? Not so much. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked Alan tonight.  Since we saw very few people as it was, I found his paranoia (real or fake to create paranoia among the group) entertaining.  I do think turning on his alliance so early (before the first vote!) over something he couldn't prove, and over two people talking to each other more than the rest of the tribe (from his perspective), might be his undoing.  Especially if they lose another challenge, his alliance doesn't technically need him or have to worry about flipping to a numbers side.  JP/Ashley/Ben are the numbers, and Chrissy would join them in a heartbeat if it meant lasting 3 more days.

I didn't really see him as being bullying, but I'll need to go back and watch the scene where he confronts JP about the phantom idol.  All I remember is JP pulling his pants down and that was it.  Alan sounded surprised when he did that, so I didn't think he told him to.  I still think there was a huge chunk of info left out that led him to his madness, but thanks to them only having an hour long premiere and having to have another target besides the Katrina/Chrissy, we didn't get to see it.  I don't know if we'll get anything about it from JP/Ashley whenever they give post show interviews.  But I hope Alan is asked about it.

I will say, I was half expecting him to go tonight and it might an actual blindside.  Since Ashley didn't seem popular pre-show from her fellow castaways observations, I wonder if she just rubbed Alan the wrong way, and JP got dragged in by default.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I will say, I was half expecting him to go tonight and it might an actual blindside.  Since Ashley didn't seem popular pre-show from her fellow castaways observations, I wonder if she just rubbed Alan the wrong way, and JP got dragged in by default.

Possibly. It's also possible that Alan didn't go because Ben, Chrissy, and Katrina were all nervous about JP and Ashley, too, and this appeared to be a tribe focused on strength, so they didn't want to vote out a guy. I think they'll live with the conflict for a while so long as there are muscles at stake. :P

8 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Each time I see the full name of the contestant, Six Feet Under comes to mind. More specifically, the end of the opening credits.  

That is why that name sounded familiar. I never bothered to google it.  

• Love 1
On 01/10/2017 at 8:19 AM, 303420 said:

Seeing his name in print makes me think of former contestant Dave Ball.

Yes! In the episode thread someone mentioned 'Alan Ball's exit interview' and for more than just a second I thought they meant were talking about Dave Ball having a Survivor blog somewhere. 

On 10/19/2017 at 6:05 PM, simplyme said:

Alan's Hollywood Reporter post-game exit interview:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-season-35-alan-ball-exit-interview-1050308

It made me miss him. He's very personable in interviews, I think.

I loved Alan the whole time. I was extremely sad to see him go. I thought he was playing forcefully, but self-aware. I just never got Crazy Black Man from him the way others did. 

• Love 3

I agree.  He was playing crazy for effect and yeah, it was annoying (his intention, I guess), but he seems like a really level-headed guy who keeps things in perspective.  His final words and his post-boot interviews make me like him even more.  Too bad he's out.

• Love 4

I liked Alan as well, and his crazy paranoia (real or fake) brought some comedic relief to what is otherwise kind of a dull season and cast so far.  I do think he was more self aware of what was going on in the game.  

• Love 4

I don't buy Alan's paranoia being fake.  Even the dumbest of the dumb know that extreme behavior like that is asking to get voted out.   I think the game got the best of him right out of the gate. 

He seems nice enough and I'm sure he watched with major regret. 

• Love 2