Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E23: Presidential pardon of Joe Arpaio

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

John announced on the last show he'd be off for the next two weeks.

What's odd is that HBO is still listing this for this weekend which confused me. I amended the date.

Two notes:

1. New episode tomorrow night.

2. It starts up at 11:45 p.m. For me, I'll have to DVR and watch later because Rick and Morty takes priority.

ETA: Basic LWT episode. Shit is happening, the editors poke fun at shit, more shit happens, and then John takes the edge off with a gesture way bigger than it needs to be. Still awesome, though. And I got a seething hate-on for Joe Arpaio now. Well, bigger than before. I don't remember Smile . . . .You're Under Arrest! Seeing the Fox Reality logo, I was not surprised. They did some low-rent shit back in the day. They had an awards show with actual whores as attendees. Bleh.

ETA2: No new episode next week because of the Emmys. I'd be good with John and his staff picking up hardware. I mean, I'd say the same about Sam and Trevor, even though John has the luxury of openly cursing.

• Love 2

Setting previous subject Equifax's logo on fire with your sweet, sweet dragon money during the opening credits is pretty baller. 

ETA: Former TDS correspondent Oliver referencing Carell's The Office credits in Scranton was everything I never knew I needed in my life. 

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 5

I want that train set! I love that they called back to that whole thing with the train here. 

(Also, how much money does HBO have, seriously? It's amazing what this show's been able to do with it thus far.)

As for the main story...man. I'd heard a bit about Arpaio and his horrible behavior before (I think the "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" talked about him at some point), but holy crap, now I'm hoping that hell exists so that I can be assured he'll go there someday. He even LOOKS deeply unpleasant to be around. That whole thing with the female prisoners being filmed is effing horrifying. And the reaction to that man dying. Ugh. It doesn't surprise me one bit that Trump would be all buddy-buddy with him and defend and excuse his behavior (and his assurance on the campaign trail that he'd be taken care of, the reaction of the supporters in the crowd...dear god, that made my skin crawl). Honestly, what the hell is it going to take to get Trump out of office already so we can avoid his doing any further damage to our institutions and rules? I really don't want to wait until 2020 to get rid of him (and that's presuming I could actually get some sort of assurance and guarantee that he would actually lose the election come 2020 and leave office)

Also, I never ever want to hear/see clips of Arpaio "singing" or Trump talking in super creepy ways about his daughter ever again, show, thanks. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

(Also, how much money does HBO have, seriously? It's amazing what this show's been able to do with it thus far.)

That train set and those wax statues of former presidents probably wouldn't have even made a significant dent in Game of Thrones' wig budget. I'm sure they have enough to throw around.

• Love 5

If there's any upside to the whole scum Arpiao pardon fiasco is that the special counsel guy is working with *state* attorneys-general, where Trump couldn't issue a pardon. 

I also liked the short bit on Kap and the joke that is the NFL bending over backwards to why they're colluding against him.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6

It's interesting that John did not attempt to speculate on the reasons why Trump pardoned Arpiao. The subject has been raised on other political talk shows and it's been strongly suggested that Trump made the gesture not so much on Arpiao's behalf, but as a signal to those who are being subpoenaed in the Russia investigation to remember he can pardon anyone.

I enjoyed - or rather, appreciated - the contrast between Kaepernick's perceived transgressions versus what other NFL players have gotten away with. Physical abuse, drug use, steroid use? No problem. Refusing to kneel for the National Anthem? Heavens to Betsy!  

• Love 12

They didn't include obstructing justice in a murder investigation or punching your gf out in an elevator and dragging her body out, but I guess they only had so much time to list all the criminal activity in the league over the last year or so.

Probably out of scope for this show, but I'd like to see them do a piece on the anthem at sports events and why it's so ridiculous. 

• Love 7

Joe is just repulsive. He is like a Stephen King character came to life. Disgusting, racist, inhuman, and with no redeeming qualities. He is one that says he smells and won't admit it. This man is not a human being. He is a total monster to anybody within his department or those around him. I repeat, not a sympathetic person to reason with. He makes monsters look good compare to that vile of vomit we call Joe.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1

WNEP’s Pocono team, featuring Carmella Mataloni, traveled to New York City on Monday to get measurements and make arrangements to bring the train home, said Carl Abraham, WNEP news director.

This is the first time since Talkback 16 began in May 1990 that the segment has received national attention, he added.

“I got texts when I woke up this morning, saying ‘oh my gosh you were on John Oliver again’,” said Meyer. “I got nervous at first, thinking someone was mocking me.”

“We’re trying to figure out what we should do it,” he added. “I don’t think our backyard is big enough but it needs to come back to Northeast Pennsylvania.”

Comic Oliver offers WNEP-TV massive Scranton train display after bit on HBO show

• Love 8

The segment on Arpaio was horrifying. He must be one of the most evil men in America. Ugh, even typing his name makes me want to take a shower. I appreciated the over-the-top model train even more than I would have otherwise, because it followed such a soul-crushing story. Thanks for the much-needed laugh, show!

• Love 5

Fuck Joe Arpaio and his evil red-veined nose.  He's the EXACT type of person I would imagine that asshole Trump likes to hang out with.

Thank heavens for the soul-cleansing train segment.  The guy who introduced the talkback segment for the Scranton station seems very chill and mellow and I could watch him forever.

I am so disappointed Ted Cruz's Twitter likes weren't discovered until last night because it will be way old news when John comes back and I'll miss his giggling about it.

• Love 5
On 9/10/2017 at 11:53 PM, Annber03 said:

I want that train set! I love that they called back to that whole thing with the train here. 

As for the main story...man. I'd heard a bit about Arpaio and his horrible behavior before (I think the "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" talked about him at some point), but holy crap, now I'm hoping that hell exists so that I can be assured he'll go there someday. He even LOOKS deeply unpleasant to be around. That whole thing with the female prisoners being filmed is effing horrifying. And the reaction to that man dying.

I am in no way kidding:  They actually didn't even cover some of his worst offenses.  Things that include his deputies slamming a pregnant woman into a squad car repeatedly, stomach first.  Another one was his deputies forcing a puppy back inside of a burning building, where it died, as they laughed at the people crying that their dog was being murdered.  

He is so evil that Stalin and Hitler wince a little, hearing his crimes.  He makes pure evil blush for how little it has achieved in comparison.  I hope he lives to 125 and spends every single second of that from this day until his last, in unspeakable amounts of agony with no hope, no relief, and in fucking prison and it still won't be enough justice for the horrors he has committed. 

I knew watching LWT was going to be rough going because I'd already read about some of the things he did, but several of those were new to me.   He and the people who worked for him are a cancer.  It's small wonder John couldn't render any of that funny.  

At least the credits were funny.  And the train.  Loved the train.  Hopefully, next week the topic will be something lighter.  Almost anything would be.    

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 8
On 9/11/2017 at 1:18 PM, iMonrey said:

I enjoyed - or rather, appreciated - the contrast between Kaepernick's perceived transgressions versus what other NFL players have gotten away with. Physical abuse, drug use, steroid use? No problem. Refusing to kneel for the National Anthem? Heavens to Betsy!  

That was an eye-opener. I think Colin's greatest sin was getting a social conscience after he seemed to peak. New rule: if you're a NFL team and in need of a quarterback, and you have at least three players suspended? You fucking sign him. I know that the issue is deeper, but I don't think it's the Marinas Trench.

• Love 6

I liked the NFL segment, too.

16 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

I am in no way kidding:  They actually didn't even cover some of his worst offenses.  Things that include his deputies slamming a pregnant woman into a squad car repeatedly, stomach first.  Another one was his deputies forcing a puppy back inside of a burning building, where it died, as they laughed at the people crying that their dog was being murdered. 

...holy fucking shit... 

Hell may actually just wind up being too good a place for him, then. Damn. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

That was an eye-opener. I think Colin's greatest sin was getting a social conscience after he seemed to peak. New rule: if you're a NFL team and in need of a quarterback, and you have at least three players suspended? You fucking sign him. I know that the issue is deeper, but I don't think it's the Marinas Trench.

Yet another sobering dose of perspective: Richie Incognito is still on the roster for the Buffalo Bills.  Incognito is a racist bully.  Colin Kaepernick took a stand against exactly that and is shunned as being bad for business.   I enjoyed the segment too but wish they hadn't taken a pass on bringing up that one.  

Ah, it was a merry show was it not?  *weeps for humanity during comedy program routinely* 

9 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Hell may actually just wind up being too good a place for him, then. Damn. 

Precisely why I hope that bastard breaks longevity records.  In prison.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I think Colin's greatest sin was getting a social conscience after he seemed to peak.

Oh no doubt. If he was playing at his superbowl level this wouldn't be an issue. 

He's probably going to get signed if a QB gets injured though because at this point the contract wouldn't be guaranteed. 

20 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

Another one was his deputies forcing a puppy back inside of a burning building, where it died, as they laughed at the people crying that their dog was being murdered.

I had not heard about that one. What the fuck?

• Love 1

Dude. The guy's a flippin' sadist. There's something especially chilling about him claiming to care about animals after reading that nightmare story with the dog. 

I despise this 'Rambo' style method that a lot of people, be it law enforcement or your average citizens, are using nowadays as a means to solve their problems, with this whole "coming in guns a-blazing" nonsense. You aren't in an action movie, people, for god's sakes, settle the hell down. To say nothing of how they're getting on other people for possibly committing illegal activity when they can't even be bothered to follow the law themselves when it comes to taking them down. 

Please tell me those people on that block sued for the hell and danger they were put through? Mind, given the stranglehold this guy and his cronies had over that area (love the revelation that one of the papers is owned by Arpaio's son-in-law, gee, no chance of bias there), I don't know how well that would've worked out, but still. Somebody should've paid for that craziness.

Also...

This comes on the heels of last November's botched prostitution raid where Arpaio's bozo posse men got naked and, in some cases, had sexual relations with hookers

*Facepalm*

Good job, geniuses. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Please tell me those people on that block sued for the hell and danger they were put through? Mind, given the stranglehold this guy and his cronies had over that area (love the revelation that one of the papers is owned by Arpaio's son-in-law, gee, no chance of bias there), I don't know how well that would've worked out, but still. Somebody should've paid for that craziness.

Arizona has had to pay something like 140 million ( I think that is the real number, by the way) in lawsuits against the state for his actions and the actions of his deputies, his psychopathic posse.  

You know it's bad when the English language doesn't possess a word to fully encompass how evil someone has been.  The first time I read an accounting of what Arpaio had done (and I am being literal)  I threw up.  

I was honestly almost glad that John didn't go into the full extent of the horrors that were visited upon human beings in Arizona but I hope there is a special section in hell for his deputies too.  

But yup, that's the creature the 45 pardoned for "just doing his job" which would be accurate if he was head demon in hell, but here on Earth, Arpaio's evil incarnate.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4