Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E10 Go Pirates!: Dude. Is That Your Mom?

• Start Topic

I truly love this episode. It clicks in such a satisfying way.

I like to think the poker Oreos are a Rounders homage. Since that film is a John Dahl joint and he's a pretty seminal neo-noir filmmaker, it seems like Rob Thomas would be one to make the reference. Now I gotta re-watch all these episodes with an eye to callbacks to The Last Seduction (one of my favorite movies ever) and Red Rock West.

Edited by veronicamers
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Is this the episode where Logan says, "Ho, ho. Ho." I thought that was hilarious in his delivery.

This is definitely one of the best episodes of this season.

I think that's a season 2 episode when Logan and Veronica have an awkward encounter in the hotel when he and Duncan live together.

• Love 1
  2 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Is this the episode where Logan says, "Ho, ho. Ho." I thought that was hilarious in his delivery.

This is definitely one of the best episodes of this season.

I think that's a season 2 episode when Logan and Veronica have an awkward encounter in the hotel when he and Duncan live together.

@WhosThatGirl, I think you are thinking of when he says "Hi ho" to her in the elevator and then covers (perhaps?) with "as in off to work we go" because Veronica is dressed for work. I think it's the beginning of "Doughnut Run" but it might be the preceding episode.

• Love 3

All of them oogling Logan's Mom is gross, but absolutely important to making Logan a rounded character, I think. Still a jackass, but you start to feel a little sympathy.

The pig face on Duncan is hilarious. Drunk Duncan is actually pretty funny, too. It is his best acting, I think. 

Does Duncan remind anyone else of Tom Brady? Who also doesn't seem very convincing as an actor, but is a good football player. Maybe Teddy Dunn is an outstanding Lawyer.

This episode remind s me of the fifties. Women who may have done something earlier but who now only exist to be an attractive ornament for their men. Lynn's obsessive Christmas decorating, she used to have a job, the fact that we know she should be asking Keith to get Logan and her out of there and she is asking for help to protect Aaron. Aarons disregard for women in general. Logan's disregard for women, like to Dads. The male only poker group, the racism and cigars (which Logan loses when they decide to keep him around as a love interest), the fifties attitude to women he keeps. The tv show at the start that sets it up. The fake snow. 

Christmas special, all right!

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 2

When this episode first aired I remember a few of us were speculating that Stalker Santa never actually had an affair with Aaron and that his "I don't know you" was genuine.  She was crazy enough to stalk and try to kill him so it's not a stretch that she could have created a relationship in her mind.  They show never confirms either way, as the subsequent information focuses on Aaron sleeping with so many of Lynn's friends but I love the idea that Aaron got caught due to the actions of the one woman he never slept with.

• Love 5

I wonder if the waterbed thing is part of a thread, along with the zoo, showing that Keith doesn't really know Veronica. He withdrew from his family into his job as his marriage crumbled and Liane retreated into alcoholism and missed a lot of her life, so now he is trying to get closer to her and is relating to a much younger person, the one who wanted to go to the zoo every weekend and liked jumping on the neighbors old waterbed. 

She must have learned poker somewhere, maybe from Dad, but the fab four didn't know about it or she wouldn't have been able to hustle Logan and that was a hustle. 

So, no one knows Veronica? At this point she is free to reinvent herself. She's been invisible, just a cute little blonde girl.

I had forgotten the moment with Duncan and Logan leaning against the piano was in this episode. I think I want more of their friendship than we got and (it maybe wasn't possible) want more of the friendship between Veronica and Duncan than we got. Going forward I think we mostly see her collapsing in between bouts of hard work and short sleep, watching movies. There isn't a lot of fun in her life.  The point that Duncan indicates that Logan didn't used to be a jackass is a good one, still he was clearly raised in the fifties. 

Lynn coming out in the dark, alone, to swim in front of the teenage boys shows a real and pathetic exhibitionism, I always felt. Yes, really, you would think Duncan would  be more supportive of Logan and used to the family dynamics. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

When this episode first aired I remember a few of us were speculating that Stalker Santa never actually had an affair with Aaron and that his "I don't know you" was genuine.  She was crazy enough to stalk and try to kill him so it's not a stretch that she could have created a relationship in her mind.  They show never confirms either way, as the subsequent information focuses on Aaron sleeping with so many of Lynn's friends but I love the idea that Aaron got caught due to the actions of the one woman he never slept with.

9 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Ooh, interesting theory.

But a plain-old stalker (at least on TV or in the movies) would say that Aaron really loved her or really was her husband. Saying that he slept with her is very specific. I agree with John that Aaron just can't remember all of the women he's slept with. Has he been checked for STDs, BTW? Has Lynn?

And I agree that Lynn going swimming--at night-- when she knew her son and his friends were in the pool house as just cruel. 

According to the transcripts she says : "Sleep with me, you say you love me."

Aaron says to Lynn: "Lynn, I don't know who this person is, I swear."

Aaron says to woman: "I don't know you."

(is stabbed)

8 hours ago, Affogato said:

I wonder if the waterbed thing is part of a thread, along with the zoo, showing that Keith doesn't really know Veronica

What was the zoo thing? I missed that.  

This remains one of my favorite episodes. 

• Veronica's visit to Logan at his pool house is when I first started feeling the LoVe. Their banter was sharp and witty as always, but they were kinder to one another than usual, despite the sarcasm. And their chemistry was off the charts.  
  • Veronica's chemistry with Weevil was also amazing--but it always felt platonic. So I never worried about Veronica being involved in a love triangle. *sigh*
  • The opening poker game scene was well-done by all--even Teddy Dunn. His acting choices worked when he was portraying a (fake) stupid drunk guy. Everyone had their moment to shine in that scene. But I did not enjoy Logan's racist assholery. I was glad to hear Connor--and later Duncan--call him on it. 
  • I like seeing Veronica go all fan-girly over someone like Connor. It shows that she allows herself be a regular teenager sometimes and doesn't always act too cool for school. 
  •  I'd  forgotten how much I liked the short scene with Veronica and Jake Kane in the library. First of all, stepping away from a crowded party to hang out in a quiet room is something an introvert like me would do--when you need a break just to recharge. (If Jake was really just waiting for someone to free up the bathroom, please don't tell me). Also, Kristen Bell and Kyle Secor played well off of each other. Her passionate fury about the pictures and his obvious cluelessness were very clear. Great job, actors. 
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, topanga said:

What was the zoo thing? I missed that.  

This remains one of my favorite episodes. 

• Veronica's visit to Logan at his pool house is when I first started feeling the LoVe. Their banter was sharp and witty as always, but they were kinder to one another than usual, despite the sarcasm. And their chemistry was off the charts.  
  • Veronica's chemistry with Weevil was also amazing--but it always felt platonic. So I never worried about Veronica being involved in a love triangle. *sigh*
  • The opening poker game scene was well-done by all--even Teddy Dunn. His acting choices worked when he was portraying a (fake) stupid drunk guy. Everyone had their moment to shine in that scene. But I did not enjoy Logan's racist assholery. I was glad to hear Connor--and later Duncan--call him on it. 
  • I like seeing Veronica go all fan-girly over someone like Connor. It shows that she allows herself be a regular teenager sometimes and doesn't always act too cool for school. 
  •  I'd  forgotten how much I liked the short scene with Veronica and Jake Kane in the library. First of all, stepping away from a crowded party to hang out in a quiet room is something an introvert like me would do--when you need a break just to recharge. (If Jake was really just waiting for someone to free up the bathroom, please don't tell me). Also, Kristen Bell and Kyle Secor played well off of each other. Her passionate fury about the pictures and his obvious cluelessness were very clear. Great job, actors. 

In the return of the kane Veronica is talking to Wallace over lunch, it is right at the beginning I think. she says her father wants to take her to the zoo, he says, I love the zoo. 

Veronica: "My dad's gone a little nutty with all these father-daughter days." 

Wallace: "Yeah, see me on the other hand would love to go to the zoo with my dad." 

I think there's another bit, can't place it, where they are in the living room and keith says he's given up trying to turn back time but he wants them to make the best of it and maybe mentions the zoo again. 

--------------------------

I don't know if Veronica was too cool for school, inside, though. I don't think she had a lot of fun for the entire three years. Times she was with Logan and Duncan and (briefly) Troy were always fraught with something, drug deals and dead mothers, burning pools, ex boyfriends with milfs in tow, kidnapping, etc. No surfing, video games, Christmases in Aspen, whatever, for her! So, you are right, it is rare and nice to see her go gaga over Connor, and also shows how Logan lives in a different world. 

The bit with Jake shows how courageous she is and also how naïve, she hasn't the experience to know how brave she is being. Jake is a character who needed more screen time, I wonder if he would have stepped up for Veronica or Logan if there had been a season 4 at Hearst.  I'd like to think so.

I agree that Weevil always felt platonic to me, too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Affogato said:

According to the transcripts she says : "Sleep with me, you say you love me."

Aaron says to Lynn: "Lynn, I don't know who this person is, I swear."

Aaron says to woman: "I don't know you."

(is stabbed)

Oh yeah...

But she still seemed like a crazy, scorned woman rather than a crazy, delusional one. I could be wrong, though. 

44 minutes ago, Affogato said:

I don't know if Veronica was too cool for school, inside, though. I don't think she had a lot of fun for the entire three years. Times she was with Logan and Duncan and (briefly) Troy were always fraught with something, drug deals and dead mothers, burning pools, ex boyfriends with milfs in tow, kidnapping, etc. No surfing, video games, Christmases in Aspen, whatever, for her! So, you are right, it is rare and nice to see her go gaga over Connor, and also shows how Logan lives in a different world. 

Yes, that's true. Her world has been rocked this past year. Which also makes me wonder, did Veronica pick up all of her badass PI skills in just one year, or was she a bit of a Nancy Drew even before that? I buy it with Keith--he was a detective and a sheriff for years.

Oh, and I forgot: when Keith remarks to Lynn that she has a bunch of strangers walking around her house, and she responds that of course she knows them. They're the help. Logan definitely gets his assholery from both parents. 

20 hours ago, topanga said:

Oh yeah...

But she still seemed like a crazy, scorned woman rather than a crazy, delusional one. I could be wrong, though. 

Yes, the only woman he didn't have sex with, that would be a blow to anyone's sanity :-) and if he didn't have sex with her it sounds like that may have been the case!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes, that's true. Her world has been rocked this past year. Which also makes me wonder, did Veronica pick up all of her badass PI skills in just one year, or was she a bit of a Nancy Drew even before that? I buy it with Keith--he was a detective and a sheriff for years.

Oh, and I forgot: when Keith remarks to Lynn that she has a bunch of strangers walking around her house, and she responds that of course she knows them. They're the help. Logan definitely gets his assholery from both parents. 

I think she picked up the actual badass skills, like how the bugs worked and how to steal her dad's password and use the database and such while reading the manuals while working in the office while he was out bailjumping to make ends meet.. I bet she learned the rest by doing and probably did some things that could have ended badly. I imagine she had some knowledge of the criminal justice system, some skills like fingerprinting and poker, from hanging around the police station with her dad or her dad's old friends. I have no idea where she learned how to disguise herself, but I bet some of her time with Lilly helped. She clearly had a lot of skill as an actress and a singer, more than we saw Logan ever exhibit as a character and was just flexible and smart and worked all the time.

speaking of badass skills she never learned: I think she never showed physical defense skills to distinguish her from buffy, but I think that she should have started to take some classes, because enough is enough.

• Love 2

Thank you for the Go90 recommendation! I was loathe to give Amazon, which does not include VM with Prime, more of my money for a show that I have already seen. Several times. I am SO looking forward to re-watching along with the pod.

• Love 1

One of my favorite eps. One of my favorite Logan lines "I wanted attack dogs but mom had to have alpacas." Paraphrasing. I wish we had seen an alpaca walking by. Hee. Plus his eyeroll at her when he referred to her as a friend on the phone.

Jason Dohring was always so alert in his scenes. Maybe even busy but he has the same kinetic energy as a Robert Downey Jr. He isn't the most handsome actor or chameleon-like he is is never ever dull.

• Love 1

Having lots of fun reliving the episodes and being semi forced to stick to one a week versus binging, although this one was good enough to watch twice. 

The original forums are part of what made the show so enjoyable for me, so it is great to hear them shared again. 

• Love 2

I always think of this as being a light fluffy episode and then mentally add, "Well, it does have a psycho stalker who stabs her victim!" I guess it helps that Veronica (and Weevil) are treated like regular guys and don't seem to be shunned by the 09ers (random jackass comments by Logan aside), while Aaron (even if he's courteous to Keith) is a perfect example of an asshole victim. I do find it hard to believe that they'd get so excited at seeing Mrs Echolls in a bikini, though - sure, teenage boys are perpetually horny, but I never got the impression any of them weren't getting any.

4 hours ago, John Potts said:

I do find it hard to believe that they'd get so excited at seeing Mrs Echolls in a bikini, though - sure, teenage boys are perpetually horny, but I never got the impression any of them weren't getting any.

I think we are supposed to assume that the idea is she's famous. Yeah, they live in a beach town, they've all seen girls in bikinis and none of them are virgins, except hopefully Sean.