Type keyword(s) to search

Escape at Dannemora in the Media

Here's a Variety article on how Ben Stiller was able to film at Dannemora.  Also an Albany article on how the show got the Upstate NY details right.

Another article about a former Clinton inmate who worked with Matt and Sweat in the tailor shop and became a consultant for Ben Stiller on the show:  https://theoutline.com/post/6612/escape-from-dannemora-clinton-correctional-facility-prison-break?zd=1&zi=3rqrkssj

Edited by Janc
new article link
  • Love 7

I came across some good articles about the show in the NY Post.  I can't link to them because they have a lot of ads and I don't want to waste the time going back there.  They are readable, though, and not hard to find.  Anyhow, a few tidbits:  Patricia Arquette gained 40 pounds to play Tilly (good luck getting that off again), she didn't visit Tilly in prison because she felt Tilly would spin things in her favor and she didn't want to be prejudiced.  The town is upset that the show makes them "all look like morons" but also will not welcome Tilly back when she gets out and "No one ever liked her."  Tilly claims she never had sex with either inmate and Ben Stiller is a "son-of-a-bitch liar making millions off of me".  Ben Stiller replies "It's not a documentary.  We researched the show for a year and it's a reasonable inference of what happened."  Lyle no longer works at the prison and lives on disability.  His ex-wife (who lives nearby) feeds him.   He can't wait for Tilly to get out and built her a gazebo. 

• Love 8

^ Yes, I read a few of those NY Post articles too, about Tilley's (Tilly, Tillie, however TF her name is spelled) recent first (?) interview, all pissed off about her portrayal (go figure) calling it a bunch of lies, and Ben Stiller's response. (I can't find the article right now, was reading it on my phone while waiting for a dr. appt)

The funniest part, seems the NY Post has dubbed her "Shawskank". Yes I admit, I laughed. 

Edited by CynicalGirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Here are the links. Among other tidbits, Tilly says she's writing a book. Someone should let her know that there's a Son of Sam law in NYS that prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes. Tilly's probably envisioning her book becoming a best-seller, to be made into a movie with a still slim Charlize Theron playing her. Lol

https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/joyce-mitchell-rips-ben-stiller-over-escape-at-dannemora/

https://nypost.com/2018/12/24/ben-stiller-fires-back-after-shawskank-calls-him-a-liar/

• Love 4

^ Thank you! 

The Deadline interview with Stiller, referred to in the NYPost article, covers a lot more ground. I didn't know he and the two actors had met with Sweat in prison for 5 hours. Interesting.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/ben-stiller-escape-at-dannemora-controversy-joyce-tilly-mitchell-patricia-arquette-paul-dano-benicio-del-toro-showtime-interview-1202525511/

Stiller had the same question I did, why did Tilly admit to a sexual relationship with Matt but denied one with Sweat? (Sweat denied it too, not sure why, but he admitted she sent him the nude photos and said "I think she was in love with me") Not that I'm buying either of their stories. I mean, I get why she's denying it, but what other motivation could she have had? It had to be more than boredom and an active fantasy life. IMO. 

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I came across some good articles about the show in the NY Post.  I can't link to them because they have a lot of ads and I don't want to waste the time going back there.  They are readable, though, and not hard to find.  Anyhow, a few tidbits:  Patricia Arquette gained 40 pounds to play Tilly (good luck getting that off again), she didn't visit Tilly in prison because she felt Tilly would spin things in her favor and she didn't want to be prejudiced.  The town is upset that the show makes them "all look like morons" but also will not welcome Tilly back when she gets out and "No one ever liked her."  Tilly claims she never had sex with either inmate and Ben Stiller is a "son-of-a-bitch liar making millions off of me".  Ben Stiller replies "It's not a documentary.  We researched the show for a year and it's a reasonable inference of what happened."  Lyle no longer works at the prison and lives on disability.  His ex-wife (who lives nearby) feeds him.   He can't wait for Tilly to get out and built her a gazebo. 

Wait, what?

• Love 1
On 12/29/2018 at 6:17 PM, CynicalGirl said:

Stiller had the same question I did, why did Tilly admit to a sexual relationship with Matt but denied one with Sweat? (Sweat denied it too, not sure why, but he admitted she sent him the nude photos and said "I think she was in love with me") Not that I'm buying either of their stories. I mean, I get why she's denying it, but what other motivation could she have had? It had to be more than boredom and an active fantasy life. IMO

If you had sex with Tilley, would you admit it? :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I can't believe the husband wants her back, after finding out she had hundreds of encounters with both convicts, and who knows how many others over the years.      Of course they married after the first husband divorced her when he found out she was having affairs with Mitchell and another man too.       I think the fact that the escape plan included bringing the husband with her to pick the escaped prisoners up, and kill the husband should give him a clue, but he seems to be incredibly stupid.  

The husband no longer works at the prison, apparently he suddenly retired, or quit.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Darren Criss was the obvious choice for the male category so they really was no way Dano or Del Toro were going to win. The somewhat surprising thing was the tie between Amy Adams and Patricia Arquette in the female category.  Disappointed but not really surprised that American Crime Story won as well.  

For the record I saw all three and I thought they were all incredibly well done and worth the love they got. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
On 12/27/2018 at 10:59 PM, Mannahatta said:

Here are the links. Among other tidbits, Tilly says she's writing a book. Someone should let her know that there's a Son of Sam law in NYS that prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes. Tilly's probably envisioning her book becoming a best-seller, to be made into a movie with a still slim Charlize Theron playing her. Lol

https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/joyce-mitchell-rips-ben-stiller-over-escape-at-dannemora/

https://nypost.com/2018/12/24/ben-stiller-fires-back-after-shawskank-calls-him-a-liar/

She can  write?  I'm astonished.

• Love 1
On 12/27/2018 at 10:59 PM, Mannahatta said:

Is it weird that I would read it?  I expect crazy insane paranoia about the world out to get her.  The other guard guy who got a couple months cast as the villain and her as the innocent doe eye victim.   Maybe Throw Lyle a bone and draw Lyle as a a foolish hunk.  But ultimately it would be all me me me me me.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

“We talked to a lot of people who were in the tailor shop, and in the Inspector General’s Office. We got as much information as we could from the police reports, the interviews, and then we put together our story,” Stiller said. “We think it is a real representation of what went on…She can dispute it but the reality is, she was kicked out of the tailor shop for inappropriate conduct, for going in the back room with David Sweat. I think there were 60 or 70 notes passed back and forth between them. She sent him nude pictures of herself. There are all sorts of things to indicate there was a relationship going on. That’s where we got that from.”

Stiller told Deadline he hopes Mitchell will eventually look back on his series and realize where he was coming from.

“It can’t be fun to be in prison,” he said. “I don’t have any ill will towards her in particular.”

Oo Tillie..

giphy.gif

see below 

On 12/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, movingtargetgal said:

If you had sex with Tilley, would you admit it? :)

There is a bunch of reasons why Sweat might not have said anything one of them might have been The Convict Code.  Sweat was a lot of things stupid wasn’t one of them.  He knew he was going back to a prison somewhere and eventually his escape would get around.  Talking about what he did was one thing but pointing the finger at Tilly might have seemed like snitching and that is a big no no.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1