Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: Possessed Possessions

Well, Megan as a model does it again!  I'd think it is safe to say Faina is a frontrunner.  I really, really like her.  And what is this new Game Face show?  I don't know anything about it.  Wow, Kiersten gets another chance?  Don't think I agree with that.  Cheyenne is all kinds of yummy.  And smart.  And, sadly, gay.  And married.  I wish every guest judge was as articulate, or allowed to be, as he was.  Suzanne reminds me of Katie a few seasons back.  I wasn't super impressed with this batch of makeups, but the concept was ultra cool.

• Love 1

Kiersten narrowly avoided elimination this week. Uh, you are on a challenge show and you have to have some idea of what to do. Talk to your foreman and bounce ideas off him/her. Suzanne's was a mess, though. It had potential but went bad.

Wonder how much Megan likes doing the show!

Some of the possessed would feel that really possessed people would be disappointed!

Faina is probably the one to watch right now. Down to the last 6 now? Still no clear 'winner'.

• Love 1

While Suzanne's execution was pretty horrid, at least she tried to challenge herself. I agree that she should have been sent home, but I think Kiersten should have,been as well,  Is there any reason there can't be a double elimination?  Speaking of Kiersten, after her awful job last week, you'd expect (well, I would) that she would do something special to redeem herself.  There were a million things she could have done with a haunted radio, maybe it picks up a signal from outer space and turns the model into an alien or something.  At the very least, emphasize the ears!  Make them do something!

I don't know if it was the editing or not, but it was very noticeable (to me at least) that Faina did not thank or acknowledge her model.  If she really didn't, then I don't care how talented she is, she should be sent home sooner rather than later,

Loved Cheyenne and his very good comments.  He can guest host anytime.

Finally, I just have to say how stunning Mackenzie looked in the initial scene (sorry, not sure of the technical term).  Her hair, makeup and dress were so flattering. 

• Love 5

And for the shallow comment of my night:  Has Glenn lightened his hair and beard to a light reddish brown?  I seem to remember it being dark brown verging on black.  

I want to hear comments from anyone but Faina. She does some lovely beauty makeup, but the guy who won tonight totally 'got' how to transform an adult skull into a child's skull and that is the kind of background that these judges (and Mr. Westmore) seem to say is a necessity.  

Some of the guys seem silent and that makes it harder to remember them.  

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I don't know if it was the editing or not, but it was very noticeable (to me at least) that Faina did not thank or acknowledge her model.  If she really didn't, then I don't care how talented she is, she should be sent home sooner rather than later. 

I was going to post exactly this myself. It was really obvious to me as well, and it bothered me. While Faina clearly has talent, there's something about her attitude that I haven't cared for. And is it just me or are her color palettes starting to look the same every week? UO, but I wouldn't mind seeing her go home any time now.

18 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

And for the shallow comment of my night:  Has Glenn lightened his hair and beard to a light reddish brown?  I seem to remember it being dark brown verging on black.

Yup, it does look different this season from the past few years. For a long time he was going with the Dracula look, this year he seems to have shifted more toward werewolf. Just teasing, Glenn. Your unique hairstyles are one of the most entertaining parts of the show.

Overall, not my favorite challenge seeing as how I'm not into horror or creepy stuff at all. That dead baby was spectacularly disturbing, so thank you for that, Show. Kiersten really did blow it, I kept wondering why she at least didn't do some prosthetics on the model's ears to make them look injured or deformed. That would have done a lot more to sell her idea than red eyeshadow. Acknowledging that she blew it save her butt - the judges have always been more willing to give another chance when a contestant acknowledges their failings.

I didn't think about it until the judges called them out, but we really didn't see much of Nelson helping the others, did we? His advice to Kiersten was basically "You'll be fine," and I don't think they showed any footage of him working with Suzanne (and the less said about her makeup, the better. Even the model seemed unimpressed).

Megan is always awesome. Though we haven't seen nearly as much of Matt and Nayeli as I would like this season.

So, post-apocalyptic mutates next week? Yippee. I guess we got our token beauty challenge so we're back to Monsters n' More? Bummer.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Is there any reason there can't be a double elimination? 

Just the production schedule.  For one thing, they have X number of shows to make, and a double cut would leave them one short.  Also, there are logistical concerns - getting the right number of models, props, etc... For example, last week really had to be 4 on 4 due to the choreography.

As for the challenge this week: it came down to the old reality show dilemma- is a bad idea worse than no idea at all? This week at least the answer is yes.

• Love 4

Kiersten narrowly avoided elimination this week.

What on earth did she do for two days?  It looked like she spent most of it drawing on her own arm.  Suzanne at least tried.  I liked her but she really did deserve to be sent home.  She had a neat idea but the execution was terrible.  

As others have said, I noticed that Faina turned and walked off without even acknowledging her model.  I haven't warmed up to her at all because she seems to have a snippy, self-important attitude.

• Love 3

I didn't like any of the makeups, they all looked fake & masky to me.

I don't understand why they always have to use prosthetics, why can't they use nothing but makeup?

• Love 5

PLEASE bring back Face-Off!!! The one where we knew the contestants, they had 3 days, and there was very little drama. I've gotten people who hate reality tv to watch this because the people are kind, they have time to create really good looking makeups. Not this year! I wouldn't recommend this crap to anyone. So disappointed. 

• Love 7

I missed most of the episode because while the weather was only lightly drizzly my STUPID CABLE was still fritzing out. Only satellite has problems in rain? Lies! LIES! I tell you.

So on the makeups only - Andrew is clearly the star of this season. His was pretty great. Picking Megan and a really great design = win.

While I totally agree that Suzanne should have gone I don't quite understand the judges confusion about what was going on. The concept I got right away, it was just terribly done.

It's fine that Kiersten is owning up to her mistakes but now she needs to show that she has learned from them. Again, people are trying out for this show when they are clearly not ready.

Sour Pickles

Cheyenne is all kinds of yummy.  And smart.  And, sadly, gay.  And married. 

Yes, but I personally have the rule of respecting no boundaries when picking my TV boyfriend, so go ahead! Crush away! He's awesome.

• Love 4

I think the 'lots of time' three day challenges are Gone with the Wind.

Rammchick  linked this Glenn interview several episodes ago on work,life, love, and star-trek  I've slogged through it three times, and I think I see where this season is coming from.

Last night's episode was the second two day challenge.  And the guy who was head of the losing team did get a major call out for not making his team stronger.  
Glenn may have become pensive about where his industry is going.  And he may be trying to get the youngsters attention to be more productive quickly.  And success can come with working together, even though that's not what we are used to here.

Remember when the three judges competed? (Couple of years ago).  I don't remember who won, but I do (or I think I remember) Nevile saying he'd forgotten how hard it is.  That episode had  each judge doing it alone.   In real life, now,  Neville and Glenn work together and are in the faster production makes for a successful studio.  

Now.....can they get through to the contestants that drahma (sic) is counterproductive?  That the team heads can be the most important person in getting a product out?  

• Love 4

I kept wondering why that weird gappy spot below the mouth on Faina's model was so overlooked.  Even though we saw her saying that she hoped the judges wouldn't notice it, I would've seen that even if she hadn't mentioned it.  And then that was all I saw.

• Love 5
(edited)

Aside from the Andrew/Megan combo (which was fine), this week was a bust.  I'm ready for this season to be over, and for Game Face to begin.

Edited by Kaoteek
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I kept wondering why that weird gappy spot below the mouth on Faina's model was so overlooked.  Even though we saw her saying that she hoped the judges wouldn't notice it, I would've seen that even if she hadn't mentioned it.  And then that was all I saw.

I assumed the judges must have noticed and commented on it, but it was edited out.  I don't see how they could have missed it, because I thought it was so obvious.  On the other hand, the bottom 2 looks (Kierstan and Suzanne) were so horrendous, I guess that just wasn't worthy of inclusion or mention.

• Love 3

However, the judges praised her work to the sky during the reveal of the best pieces.  Glenn couldn't be complimentary enough.  It left me thinking, "Really?  With that mess on his chin?"

• Love 6

I wonder if the elimination would've been different if Suzanne has said, " I really had a lot of fun with this makeup and this concept but I know it could've been so much better. I think I was just too ambitious with the 2-day timeframe." The judges like when an artist acknowledges their shortcomings. A little self-awareness from Suzanne may have made a difference in the elimination between her and Kierstin.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I could have swore I heard Vee (or maybe it was Neville) mention it.  If it wasn't the very first thing said as they approached her model, it was the second. It was said with the camera behind Vee (or Neville), she gestured toward the chin, and said something to effect of "there's a complete failure *or maybe collapse) in this area." I've done deleted my recording, or I'd go back and check.

Moving on to general commentary.

I'm not understanding the dislike for Faina. So she didn't thank her model on screen when existing the reveal stage after the critique. Big deal! She's arguably one of the two most talented people on this season, and I'd rather have that on this abysmal season than Ms. Manners. She hasn't done anything to sabotage or passively-aggressively ruin someone else's work. In fact, she's been the reason her team has won. Nor does she have any annoying physical traits that annoy me like blue hair or whisper/breathy voice.

None of the make-ups really impressed me this week. The only one that I thought really fit the challenge idea of interacting with their possessed possession was Nelson's violin. And unfortunately, his make-up job just wasn't that good.

Congratulations to Twisted (Not) Six for finally managing a win. However, since it was really Andrew's work that resulted in that win, it doesn't really count since he's a transplant from Ethereal Effects. Damn this effects shop format! Speaking of Andrew, I wasn't really impressed by his creepy baby, but I was somewhat disappointed that Phil didn't credit him to the judges for doing it. Or at least, we didn't see him doing so on screen, so he may have. His model's whacked out granny hair was just bizarrely styled. Nor do I understand why it was a top look.

The only great thing about this episode was that everyone got to do their own make-up again. I'm definitely spoiled with this occurring three weeks in a row.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Richness said:

I could have swore I heard Vee (or maybe it was Neville) mention it.  If it wasn't the very first thing said as they approached her model, it was the second. It was said with the camera behind Vee (or Neville), she gestured toward the chin, and said something to effect of "there's a complete failure *or maybe collapse) in this area." I've done deleted my recording, or I'd go back and check.

You're right, Richness, I remember it too.  That's why it seemed that all Glenn's later praise was so undeserved.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

PLEASE bring back Face-Off!!! The one where we knew the contestants, they had 3 days, and there was very little drama.

Oh I don't know - I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the contestants at this point.  Andrew feels like a lock for the finale, having lead both teams to wins while producing consistently good looks.  Faina is possibly the most gifted artist of the season.  She, KC, and Nelson will probably be battling for the remaining finale slot(s).  Kierstin and Phillip have shown flashes, but their overall creativity and technical skill doesn't seem to be on par with the others.

Otherwise, I don't agree that the show has been overly "dramatic" - other than the one crazy thing with Nick and Jill, this season has felt about as conflict free as any other.  The "drama" on the show is largely coming from where it always does - will the mold set up in time, can they fix the crack in the prosthetic, etc...  As for them only getting two days - I don't mind them mixing things up.  Not every challenge needs the sculpt day, mold day, paint day format.  I kind of wish they would do more spotlight challenges or other specific skill tests.

Look, this hasn't been my favorite season thus far - but I think it's just that the talent level (particularly at the bottom end) is not quite as strong this time around, especially compared to the all-star group last time.  I don't even know if the Team/Foreperson gimmicks wouldn't have gone better in an earlier year with more skilled and experienced contestants.  The good news is that the cannon fodder is basically gone, and realistically we should only be in for one more week of the "dueling effect houses" format.  In other words, I'm hopeful the season will be gearing up for a strong finish.

• Love 3

I have come to the conclusion that there simply are not any really talented make-up artists in this group.  After last week showing promise with several looks I really liked, we were back to mostly meh with a couple that were good.  But no one seems to be producing consistently good to great looks.  For me anyway.  Your mileage may vary.  Anyway, pair that up with the team concept that seems so lacking, and this is the most lackluster season of Face Off to date.  And I still don't even know who most of these people are!!  There are no real personalities emerging this season as they have in the past.  <sigh>  I still love the show, but this season is very disappointing.

• Love 2