Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E06 Go Pirates!: I Didn't Vote For You!

• Start Topic

I love VM but here's the thing that bothers me about this show... these kids would never have been in the same school!!! The son of a famous Tom Cruisesqe movie star would not be going to public school! Either would the kids of a billionaire tech guru! It bugged me in 90210 too (No way Felice's princess goes to public school with the unwashed) but that's the least of that's shows problems.

• Love 1

On the subject of the decor at the Echolls house, this is jumping ahead to the end of the season, but in A Trip to the Dentist, if you look carefully at the scene when Veronica and Logan are in the pool house, you can just for a split second see that the curtains actually have Aaron's and Lynn's faces on them! Super weird, and although I've seen that episode several times I never noticed until my most recent rewatch. Something to keep an eye out for when you get there. 

• Love 2

I adored this show but I am with Tara. I never commented on TWOP but every time I saw anything about "LoVe" I thought "Bum Fight!" It kept me from watching the movie.

Then again, I'm old and nearly 50. Shakes fist.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WoodyCee said:

I love VM but here's the thing that bothers me about this show... these kids would never have been in the same school!!! The son of a famous Tom Cruisesqe movie star would not be going to public school! Either would the kids of a billionaire tech guru! It bugged me in 90210 too (No way Felice's princess goes to public school with the unwashed) but that's the least of that's shows problems.

Some of those kids could feasibly go to the public school, though probably not the son of a very famous movie star if it's highly known he's his son due to potential security issues/fan-created distractions. But if the public school is in a good school district, plenty of high profile people send their kids. I used to work in a public high school where one parent was a congressman and most of the other parents were bigwigs in some way - lawyers, doctors, diplomats, psychologists, major tech people. It was my first year working professionally (outside of internship) and I had to interact with the parents pretty consistently, and I was always feeling very intimidated and stressed out. But we definitely had students at the opposite end as well. A wide variety of neighborhoods tend to come together into one large area high school. One of my current schools, also public, is nowhere near that level now, but we still had grandchildren of a supreme court justice and one of my colleagues has relations of a very big political figure. 

14 hours ago, WoodyCee said:

You raise an interesting point because I think there is a lot that really holds together in Veronica Mars that never gets laid out for the viewer. I think: 

Neptune was not a bedroom town for the rich and famous until the Kane's got rich and dragged everyone with them, even the secretaries.   Jake Kane is, like Liane and Keith, a person with blue collar roots who was tapped by that group that becomes a player in season 3, has sex with the sister of one of his acquaintances in his group, and is probably forced to marry her because he knocks her up. Celeste is kind of a dud and this seems like a good arranged relationship for her, but like Madison, she is horrified by his low beginings and makes their lives miserable. The Casablancas came afterwards, making money off the first wave. 

Duncan may go to a private school first (where he met Logan? did they meet very young?) but Jake wants him to be a politician and be a man of the people and funds the public school system and gets Duncan into it at some point. If it is good enough for Jake's kids it is good enough for everyone else. Jake sets up scholarship, other things. It is a good school. 

Meanwhile, the Echollses also come from almost horrifyingly blue collar roots, and Aaron likely was beaten by his father for wanting to go into a pansy profession, and Lynn...well, the stereotyping is overwhelming, here. They are new rich and crude and that is why Logan is the perfect person for Lilly to use against Celeste, along with Veronica. Lilly may like them, but they sure piss Celeste off. 

I;m guessing that Logan was acting out, Aaron's behavior was coming into question, and Neptune seemed like a good choice and Aaron/Lynn might also believe in public schools, being essentially common people themselves.

I think that neither Lilly, Duncan, Logan or Veronica identify with the upper crust and that is one reason they gravitated to each other as friends. I suspect that they were in public school because Jake and Aaron and Keith all thought public school is a good place for people to be. 

11 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

Some of those kids could feasibly go to the public school, though probably not the son of a very famous movie star if it's highly known he's his son due to potential security issues/fan-created distractions. But if the public school is in a good school district, plenty of high profile people send their kids. I used to work in a public high school where one parent was a congressman and most of the other parents were bigwigs in some way - lawyers, doctors, diplomats, psychologists, major tech people. It was my first year working professionally (outside of internship) and I had to interact with the parents pretty consistently, and I was always feeling very intimidated and stressed out. But we definitely had students at the opposite end as well. A wide variety of neighborhoods tend to come together into one large area high school. One of my current schools, also public, is nowhere near that level now, but we still had grandchildren of a supreme court justice and one of my colleagues has relations of a very big political figure. 

Yeah, I went to a highschool that had the children of the superintendent of schools, made sense, the son of a world class actor (but not a movie star) and quite a few others and it also drew from the other side of the track. 

• Love 1

The bum fighting never seemed real to me so I forgot it quickly. It is a bit like Veronica 's rape. The show forgets it a bit such as when she interacts with Troy. I don't feel like VM was a take on Speak and we were watching a girl spend a year recovering from a rape.

So the bum fighting faded away for me in light of the whipping.

And the joy of seeing Logan screw his father out of 250000 dollars. Heeeeee. So worth a whipping.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, azaleagirl said:

I adored this show but I am with Tara. I never commented on TWOP but every time I saw anything about "LoVe" I thought "Bum Fight!" It kept me from watching the movie.

Then again, I'm old and nearly 50. Shakes fist.

I saw the movie having never watched the show. I think we are given to think he underwent extensive therapy and he is subdued in movie, knows his instincts are off. 

But the show didn't last long and he was spiraling down,yes I know mileage varies, so maybe we would have seen insight and reparation. By changing the family dynamic he probably causes his mothers death, too. He's a mess.

5 hours ago, Affogato said:

What is with those negligees? They look uncomfortable. Lynn is shown virtually naked in a couple of episodes, so it isn't modesty. Does anyone actually wear them?

I know, right? I believe that's what my mother's generation called a peignoir. My mom actually made one for herself back in the day and handed it down to me years ago! She must have made it in the  60s because it had that froofy babydoll thing going on--oh, and a "bed jacket", of course. Never saw her in it, and I was born in '71. Otherwise, I've only ever seen them in movies on TCM.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just comment to say thanks for the podcast. It makes me rewatch the whole serie. I am amazed of how in some ways it is still holding up (except for the tech) after so many years. 

From this episode, it was the first one where I did actually find Logan likeable in some way (yeah even with "bum fight"). It is mainly due to the way he is screwing is father in front of the cameras. But as much as I liked Logan as a character (and the chemistry between Veronica and him), I was never sold on the LoVe as a couple. But it's maybe because I never thought bad boys are making good boyfriends.

Fun fact: Veronica Mars was quite huge in France during the original run. It was actually watch live by more French (in number) than American at the time. 

Edited by FrenchCheese
  • Love 2

Bad boys DON'T make good long term boyfriends. They're drama kings, attentions whores and energy sucks. Piz, or someone like him,  was absolutely the best choice of significant other for Veronica.

However, I am a diehard LOVE 'shipper. (and I'm old and OVER 50). Can't help it, don't try. The chemistry between KB and JD is scorching.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, luna1122 said:

Bad boys DON'T make good long term boyfriends. They're drama kings, attentions whores and energy sucks. Piz, or someone like him,  was absolutely the best choice of significant other for Veronica.

I can certainly see the appeal of Logan (or somebody like him), but he's certainly not a good long term prospect. It's easy to sympathise with him, given who his father is, but it's hard to imagine him ever being faithful. Given his utter loyalty to Veronica, I'd vote for Wallace. There's one episode in S3 that made me want to date him - even though I'm straight and he's fictional!

But really? Rich people exploiting the poor and electoral shenanigans? Sounds a bit far fetched to me!

ETA: Veronica Mars finished in 2007, Glee didn't start until 2009, so there was no overlap (particularly as this episode would have been 2004/5)

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, John Potts said:

I can certainly see the appeal of Logan (or somebody like him), but he's certainly not a good long term prospect. It's easy to sympathise with him, given who his father is, but it's hard to imagine him ever being faithful. Given his utter loyalty to Veronica, I'd vote for Wallace. There's one episode in S3 that made me want to date him - even though I'm straight and he's fictional!

But really? Rich people exploiting the poor and electoral shenanigans? Sounds a bit far fetched to me!

I LOVE Wallace, and he sure grew up fiiine, but he and V were, like, siblings. There may have been a point, early on, when it could have gone romantic, but now it would just seem squicky. I kinda wanted him and Mac to hook up tho.

Logan DID mature and grow in the movie, so even tho he's still impetuous and hot headed, he's more of an actual grownup who'd faced some demons. It's possible he and Veronica could actually work, this time. They're adrenaline junkies who love each other. People get together and stay together with much worse things in common.

I did love me some Piz, tho. In real life, i gave up the bad boys and chose a Piz--cute, arty, smart, a little nerdy, sweet, loyal--and it was the best thing I could ever do. Still am drawn to the bad boys in films n tv, tho.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Logan DID mature and grow in the movie, so even tho he's still impetuous and hot headed, he's more of an actual grownup who'd faced some demons. It's possible he and Veronica could actually work, this time. They're adrenaline junkies who love each other. People get together and stay together with much worse things in common.

I did love me some Piz, tho. In real life, i gave up the bad boys and chose a Piz--cute, arty, smart, a little nerdy, sweet, loyal--and it was the best thing I could ever do. Still am drawn to the bad boys in films n tv, tho.

In MKAT Logan thinks she's going ot leave him and takes the early deployment, realizes that wasn't what is happening and they talk about it. that's hopeful, but I still think it is going to be rough when he no longer has a place to run to periodically. He's made of wikipedia separation anxiety articles.

Good for you and Piz!

• Love 2

There were a lot of kids of very wealthy people in the public high school I attended. It was a posh resort community, so there were lots of rich people, but also the full spectrum including a number of barely-getting-by people who did all the grunt work of running a posh area. But there was only one tiny private high school in the area, which was very limited in its offerings, so most kids opted for the public school if they wanted a more broad and typical high school experience, even if they were wealthy. Otherwise their options would have been boarding school or a very long commute.

The public schools were good and well-funded from local property taxes on all that very expensive real estate, so it wasn't like a lot of public schools that are underfunded and lacking resources. I imagine Neptune High would be the same way.

• Love 2

@Sarah D. Bunting Tammy Metzler from Election went on to play Seth Rohan's tuba playing gf on Freaks and Geeks! I really liked that storyline and ❤️️ That show. She's an all around righteous dudette squared for those 2 roles.  

I wore the shit outta Delia*s. I liked their vintagy looking dresses and footwear. They also had cute hats and scarfs. 

IMG_2332.PNG

• Love 1

oh yeah! I haven't rewatched F&G in ages, I totally forgot her. One of the great things in Election is how basically normal and un-Hollywood everyone looks (and how can you not love that Broderick's long-suffering wife in that movie ended up...the long-suffering wife of Fitz on Scandal).