Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

Sorry but the whole they would have canceled glee if Lea wanted to end it is unrealistic imo. 

I think Ryan Murphy embellishes (well lies and lies and more lies) 24/7, as when he said he was a father figure to Cory Monteith (reluctantly hoisted on him by a needy Cory) and it prepared him for parenthood.

That Lea is his fave is a given, but LBR, she was a lead character from the pilot onward, so it's a bit of the chicken or the egg scenario.

(edited)
I think that she knows how to smile and toe the line for this show and that has endeared her to RM. He knows she will do what she is asked. 

While I don't think that's completely inaccurate, I think it is an oversimplification why she's favored so much.   Jenna I'm sure does what's asked of her.   Lea was the star and she toes the line, which is more rarer than one thinks.

Ryan rightly or wrong thought by the end of Season 1 that the "stars" were the HS choir setting with the HS characters and the shining example of that was his front and center leading lady, Lea Michele.  Matt Morrison got relegated to more of a supporting character, whereas Lea didn't really have to worry that there wouldn't be focus on Rachel and SL's for her.  The first 3 years the only consistent factor was that Lea Michele was THE lead character of Glee.

My own guess is that people like Matt, Chris, Dianna,  questioned storylines more and Ryan was miffed by their "rebellion".  He probably never thougtht they were as central to the success of the show as Lea.

Of course Season 4 was a whole different can of worms, but even then Lea had the one SL followed thoughout the all episodes.

Edited by caracas1914

It's quite possible that either RM or Fox would have ended Glee if Lea quit, if they felt that losing both Finn and Rachel (the characters) was too much for Glee to survive.  More likely, Season 5 would have been postponed until January, because then both the Lima and New York sides would need massive rewrites, and it would give them more time to coax Lea back.  

I think Glee is a bit odd, in that it seems that the cast actually had more influence in the early seasons than the later ones.  Early on, when Ryan Murphy liked to think he was their mentor as well as their boss, he seemed more inclined to listen to their suggestions.  TWOP had the early meme of "What Chris wants, Chris gets", when it seemed that he was a Murphy favorite.   As time went on, Murphy stopped listening.

I think Ryan Murphy embellishes (well lies and lies and more lies) 24/7, as when he said he was a father figure to Cory Monteith (reluctantly hoisted on him by a needy Cory) and it prepared him for parenthood.

RM consistently ticks me off when he speaks about Cory.  If he is not blaming his death on Glee's downfall he comes across like Cory was some poor schlub he took pity on by giving him a job on Glee.  He never seems to acknowledge what Cory brought to the table as far as glee's success.  That is why I appreciated Chris' words about how he and Cory respected each others' work.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 6
(edited)

I think that both Cory and Chris were actually similar in several ways, they were both men of few words (verbally) but in their interviews they came across as acutely insightful and articulate.

Neither were(are) red carpet type of guys enamored of celebrity.

Their acting was also direct and inhabited, for lack of a better word. I loved Cory saying how hard it was to play "Kurt" in props.

Reading how Chris and he had mutual respect and that Chris looked up to him as the older brother he never had was nice, too. Much better than Ryan's bullshit humblebrag.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6

I think Cory was goofier and a bit more talkative than Chris but I agree both were not all that enamored of celebrity.  For example, after the Glee movie premiere, Cory skipped the after party entirely and went and grabbed a bite to eat somewhere on his own.  There wasn't any pictures but it was in one of those "spotted" round-ups in one of the mags the following week.  My guess is that they both are/were introverts in the Myers-Briggs definition of the word meaning they get/got their energy from their inner world

Edited by camussie

They both had less than " golden" teenage years with some rough passages ( Cory dropping out and drug usage, Chris homeschooled due to bullying) so it amazes me that these two guys were such instinctive good actors with no acting school resume behind them.

That is why I appreciated Chris' words about how he and Cory respected each others' work.

From a few interviews where he mentions respect, I feel that's a very big thing for Chris and what he's been looking for from other people from his school days on. When he talks about respect for someone, it's like top honours from him.

• Love 2

So Lea cancelled her appearance at the Paris Glee convention apparently due to scheduling conflict with 'Scream Queens".

That is all weird she never said she was going, none of the cast has that I am aware of which  seems odd.

I just watched the full Paley Center Panel and guys, I love this cast so much. It just reminded me that they are why I have stuck with it through the awfulness. It was a really good panel. A few observations:

It was kind of funny/awkward how Darren and Chord were kind of left out of almost the first 20 minutes of the discussion because most of the questions and focus was on the pilot and Season 1. I mean that is how it should have been, but it was funny because I noticed like 20 minutes in that neither of them had barely said anything and none of the questions were really directed at them.

Lea and Jenna being the most emotional. I believe it. 

Lea and Darren explained how he came to write the song and get it on the show. It didn't sound like anything out of the ordinary and for what it's worth Lea couldn't compliment it enough. Now we all know how Lea is with the gushing, but I tend to believe her on this one. 

I loooooved Lea's imitation of Amber saying no one could leave after they wrapped because they had to all go in the auditorium and "have  their moment together". It sounds exactly like something Amber would do. I don't know it just made me laugh. And I love seeing Amber/Lea and Chris together. They always seem like they are in on some secret together. 

Chris Colfer is just delightful. Delightful!

When the interviewer asked a question about Corey and as Chris was answering I saw Jane take Lea's hand very subtly. It was very sweet.

And Jane Lynch is also delightful.

Really I thought everyone was pretty good on the panel. When they are together they tend to give pretty good interviews. The best thing about the Glee 3-D movie was the press tour. There were some really good interview groupings in that one. If you want a good laugh and the warm fizzies you can see them on Youtube.

I do wish Matt, Kevin and Naya could have been there. They give good interviews too. Especially Kevin. Matt I understand because he is in rehearsals for his show. 

• Love 3

I do wish Matt, Kevin and Naya could have been there. They give good interviews too. Especially Kevin. Matt I understand because he is in rehearsals for his show. 

Naya was in NYC earlier this week, and has also been flying back and forth to Atlanta filming Devious Maids, so I'm guessing she had scheduling conflicts. 

Kevin is in London.

Jenna was not there.

Yes, I forgot both Naya and Kevin had projects that have already started. 

What was interesting to me, was who else wasn't there. Ryan, Brad and Ian. I've seen the other two (I think there were at least 2) PaleyFest Glee Panels and RIB were prominent on both of them. I wonder if they weren't asked and PaleyFest just wanted to focus on the actors, or if they had scheduling conflicts (all of them?). Maybe they didn't want to have to face direct questions and feedback from the fans in person. I think the bulk of peoples frustrations and disappointment about the show is aimed at them  and rightly so.  The cast still has tremendous goodwill with the fans, even if some of their characters are a mess now. Anyway, I didn't mind them not being there at all, but it did jump out at me. I couldn't imagine them, especially Ryan passing up a chance to be praised yet again for "changing the culture/television/the world". 

• Love 1

Lea and Darren explained how he came to write the song and get it on the show. It didn't sound like anything out of the ordinary and for what it's worth Lea couldn't compliment it enough. Now we all know how Lea is with the gushing, but I tend to believe her on this one. 

When the interviewer asked a question about Corey and as Chris was answering I saw Jane take Lea's hand very subtly. It was very sweet.

Well to be fair Darren had just gushed over her so she seemed to return the gushing,  I hope it is good and not cheesy.

And that was sweet Lea and Jane kind of caught eyes as she looked away and Jane reaches for her hand.

Jenna was not there.

What was interesting to me, was who else wasn't there. Ryan, Brad and Ian. I've seen the other two (I think there were at least 2) PaleyFest Glee Panels and RIB were prominent on both of them. I wonder if they weren't asked and PaleyFest just wanted to focus on the actors, or if they had scheduling conflicts (all of them?). Maybe they didn't want to have to face direct questions and feedback from the fans in person. I think the bulk of peoples frustrations and disappointment about the show is aimed at them  and rightly so.  The cast still has tremendous goodwill with the fans, even if some of their characters are a mess now. Anyway, I didn't mind them not being there at all, but it did jump out at me. I couldn't imagine them, especially Ryan passing up a chance to be praised yet again for "changing the culture/television/the world". 

I thought at the very least Dante Di Loreto might have gone.     RIB could be busy with thier next project too.

• Love 1

Well to be fair Darren had just gushed over her so she seemed to return the gushing,  I hope it is good and not cheesy.

Yeah it was kind of a mutual admiration society going on there. I just meant that I believe her when she said what it meant to her and how it made her feel. I didn't think that was Lea, doing her "good company woman" thing. It felt sincere. Now whether or not any of us think it is any good we'll have to see. I enjoy Lea but I don't always loooove all the things she says she looves. LOL! 

Yeah it was kind of a mutual admiration society going on there. I just meant that I believe her when she said what it meant to her and how it made her feel. I didn't think that was Lea, doing her "good company woman" thing. It felt sincere. Now whether or not any of us think it is any good we'll have to see. I enjoy Lea but I don't always loooove all the things she says she looves. LOL! 

Oh no way,  I have to laugh when people take her literally.   Her exaggerations and dramatic hands are entertaining to me.

But who knows though for that one hour of the one day she really may have been obsessed with whatever.    :)

Jenna was not there.

Isn't that odd in general for showrunners not to be there? Not just Glee but most I've seen previously and plan to take a look at this year have had a mixture of actors and writers/producers.

Isn't that odd in general for showrunners not to be there? Not just Glee but most I've seen previously and plan to take a look at this year have had a mixture of actors and writers/producers.

Of the ones I've seen from other shows I'd say yes it is odd. The Good Wife showrunners were at their panel. Most of the ones I can think of had at least one person from the production side. I agree I would have thought at least Dante would have been there. I think he was at one of them before.

That is all weird she never said she was going, none of the cast has that I am aware of which  seems odd.

Lea's appearance had never been confirmed.  I understand that there had always been a disclaimer that said they were working on coordinating schedules and talent subject to change.  I think that is deceptive business practice to sell some sort of meet & greet before it's even confirmed, but I guess not illegal if you have a disclaimer.  Non official conventions that don't have some official studio participation always seem slightly shady to me.

I wonder if it's because it's just the last ever panel so RIB and the producers decided not to attend.  Maybe it is just conflicts especially with Scream Queens starting up production for RIB.  Not sure about Dante, but there are several more producers on the show now.  There were still several compliments about the writing and story lines, about the show opening up dialogue between parents and kids.  I mean for all its faults, and there were many, the show did tackle some interesting topics (not well mind you, but they did).

Edited by dizzyizzy01

The idea that Darren really wanted to write a song for her probably meant something too. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 1

From how Lea talked about This Time in the first part of her answer, it sounded like Darren was really going after getting a song into the last episode and getting her to sing it. I hope the song is really good, because from what he said of the concept, sounds like he gave it a good thought. Lea is always gushing indeed, but seems she connected to the lyrics in particular, and I can see how she can get so extra emotional if that's her last ever song as Rachel Berry before the curtain falls. 

Edited by fakeempress

From that People article:

"I stole that plaque that had [Cory's] picture on it and put it above my piano, and a pair of shoes," Salling, 32, told PEOPLE.

Overstreet said he took his letterman jacket; Lynch said she kept three tracksuits. "Darren took a couch you guys!" Michele told reporters.

Jones, who this season saw her character come out as a transgender man, said she kept something even more personal: Coach Beiste's ring, now locked in her safe.

• Love 1

I hope the song is really good, ...

No need to worry.

Lyrics of "This Time"

https://twitter.com/gleek/status/576896153570017280

https://twitter.com/darrenarmy/status/576234783371599872

https://twitter.com/darrenarmy/status/575849939005218816

I am certain the song will be found to be rated by even everyone here an average of at least 5/10.

Why "certain"? Because Darren wrote it? No. Because Lea SAID it was great? No. Because ESP/inside info/insanity? No/No/Maybe.

"Certain" because after hearing Anders' arrangement, Lea CHOSE to sing it for her last solo and Ryan agreed to let her. None of these three is a musical fool and none would risk jeopardizing their professional reputations out of friendship or altruism. (I've read some nasty stories about how pre-Glee Lea treated songwriters.) "This Time" has been thoroughly vetted by very fussy, selfish experts. Bring tissues.

(edited)

Like musical people don't make bad choices or selections EVER.

I'm reserving judgement until I hear the Darren penned song but I'm not assuming any of these people bat a thousand. I love Lea but apparently with a lot of experienced music people they picked and LOVED all the songs in her personal album "Louder".

Nuff said.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

"Certain" because after hearing Anders' arrangement, Lea CHOSE to sing it for her last solo and Ryan agreed to let her. None of these three is a musical fool and none would risk jeopardizing their professional reputations out of friendship or altruism. (I've read some nasty stories about how pre-Glee Lea treated songwriters.) "This Time" has been thoroughly vetted by very fussy, selfish experts. Bring tissues.

They're all close with Darren, personally and professionally. Darren writing a song for the show isn't the same as some random off the street writing it and then being judged by Lea, Anders, and Ryan. And, if Darren's song is complete shit, I don't think any of those 3 have jeopardized their careers or reputations by saying they loved it. Glee is a hot mess of a tv show, barely able to break 2 million viewers on a GOOD night, but Ryan's shows keep getting greenlit and nominated for awards, and Lea got cast in one of his shows and is working on a 2nd album. If Glee hasn't sunk their careers, some random song written by Darren won't.

Like musical people don't make bad choices or selections EVER.

I'm reserving judgement until I hear the Darren penned song but I'm not assuming any of these people bat a thousand. I love Lea but apparently with a lot of experienced music people they picked and LOVED all the songs in her personal album "Louder".

Nuff said.

For her album, Lea could select only from a very small group of newly written songs that fit her initially stated concept of girl power. (I found almost all her album songs to be better than a lot of the famous pop dreck she was forced to sing on Glee.) For Lea's final Glee solo, a milestone event, Darren's song was selected from among all pop/Broadway songs ever written. The difference is monumental. What gave Darren an advantage was the tailored aptness of the lyrics, not personal favoritism. Also, it's as Anders arranged it after some possible beneficial tinkering.
  • Love 1
Darren's song was selected from among all pop/Broadway songs ever written.

Well there you have it, Sondheim, Schwartz, Rogers and Hart, etc  should be tossing in their sleep (or tombstones) as we speak because they weren't good enough.

It's fine YOU think it's a guaranteed great number, just opining that others might actually want to hear the damn song before making a final analysis.  :)

• Love 2

For Lea's final Glee solo, a milestone event, Darren's song was selected from among all pop/Broadway songs ever written

That's not even how Darren described what happened. He talked about it at PaleyFest. Lea said herself he tried to get her to listen to it before he pitched it and she was worried she would be too emotional. She didn't even hear the song until after it had been selected and put in the episode. So Lea didn't really pick it. Look no one is denying obviously RIB, Anders and Lea must have liked Darren's song in order to include it, but just because they like it doesn't mean the public will. Every last one of those people has made questionable musical choices on this show. And being extra concerned because it was Lea's last solo ever? Well they've made some pretty questionable decisions for this whole last season. I'm sure they thought all of those were good as well. 

• Love 3

Chris hasn't admitted to taking anything. Enquiring minds seek to know.

Seriously!!  Chris is pretty private with things that are important to him, so I wonder if we'll ever know.  He has to have taken something, and I've been wracking my brains trying to come up with something that would be meaningful to him.  I've seen some ideas floated elsewhere, but nothing seems just *right.*

Then again, he's got a freaking Golden Globe.  That's pretty good as keepsakes go ;)

I never take any of these lists seriously, especially since in this case, I think all Glee pairings sucked. So I honestly just enjoyed this for some of the comments. I cracked up at the comment about whether that's the big secret Kim Richards has about Harry Hamlin with regards to Kurt and Walter. I do think it's a bit interesting that Harry Hamlin's becoming like the go to guy to play creepy older guys macking on much younger, sometimes inappropriately younger guys.

I also laughed at the "who remembers Rory anyway..." line, the summary of Ryder and Marley because boy was that accurate and yeah while the snark about Kurt and Adam was mean, frankly I'm amazed they didn't say much like Rory, "who remembers him anyway..." considering the writers had him vanish after less than an hour total of screentime. They were also totally right about Tina not being quite right since she and Mike broke up. 

Edited by truthaboutluv