Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

I'm not sure Jenna and Naya are BFFs but I think they're friends. They have nicknames for each other. But I think Kevin/Jenna are close and Naya/Kevin are close. Vanessa also hit it off really well with Kevin/Heather/Naya/the dancers when she was on the show. She went on vacation with them the summer after season 3. And I think (I'm not 100% though) that Vanessa and Naya were the only cast members at Heather's baby shower. Obviously, all the dancers were there too. Kevin, Naya, and Brittany Parks went on vacation together after season 5 wrapped too. Lea/Becca seem particularly close lately too.

I think, for the most part, everyone is friends with each other. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but for the most part, they seem friendly and supportive of each other.

Edited by Ceeg

Mark is also very close with Chord, seems tight with Lea and Dianna, and is pretty friendly with Darren. He's also hung out with Jenna a lot.

Edited by SNeaker

The closer ones I can think off the top of my head are Chris with Ashley, Amber, Dot and also Oliver who played Adam, Kevin-Jenna-Naya-Telly Kousakis-the dancer ladies, Lea-Groff, probably Chord and Darren, Mark seemed close to Cory, Grant is close with a few of them. It's not that few if you add the crew - -who are more behind the scenes. Specifically about the crew, Kevin also talks about them. There was a question at one of Chris's Emmy roundtables way back in 2011, whom of their castmates they would give their Emmy to, and Chris chose Zack Woodlee and Telly Kousakis, both more behind the scenes

guys.

====

(not in reference of your post

)

I have changed four work places since I finished college. I met two of my best friends at two of these professional environments. That's how life works. If anyone can't see that or is trolling, tant pis pour lui as the French say.

Matt is really close to Jane, and Jayma to a lesser extent. He was quite close to Cory too, and after he died, his friendship with Chord deepened.

Edited by Sara2009

Chord was hilarious in the superlative game. You could tell he meant every name he put down for each question. Them picking Mark as most likely to get arrested was cold man - cold. Probably true but cold. Darren's picking Chris as the life of the party was random. 

Chris is hilarious though. For someone who is hyper all of the time and talks too much, someone like Chris..a person who is understated but quietly hilarious is probably the life of the party to him. 

Lea has so many qualities of Rachel its kind of hilarious. (In a good way..she's got a certain eagerness to her personality that Rachel has.) 

• Love 1

Lea is a talker. Chris is more of a one-liners kinda guy. When they were together on Watch What Happens Live, he just let her talk because it was hard to  get in a word edgewise. 

Chris used to have disco parties in his trailer. Darren called it Club Chris (it's at 4:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6F28Xlk0kE#t=270

And I found the vid Cory took of Chris's party trailer:

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Sobbing because you won't see them everyday is.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. I remember David Tennant on the verge of tears when his stint on Doctor Who ended but he stopped himself because it was so ridiculous.

It's not only a cultural thing, it depends on each individual; as LM described, some of them cry often, ofthers not so much and the volume and intensity of tears must have varied from one cast or crew member to the next.

I have no trouble believing that there were indeed tears as some people wrapped in the last few days, and then again for the very last scene shot. It's common for people to get very emotional after spending a long time working together, perhaps even more so in creative professions.

They have shared a lot, spent a lot of time together, both on set and on tour (twice for three of those on Ellen) working very hard, so it's natural that connections and attachments were made, although not always reported publicly; for example I was a bit surprised when LM said in an interview back when DC was rehearsing for How to Succeed that she would be having him and his family over for New Year's meal. It's the kind of personal info most were generally guarded about as I recall.

Another factor also weighing in on emotions is the loss of the familiarity and the safety of a regular schedule and of people they knew well, in a work environment they seemed to enjoy, with no major conflicts credibly verified. I am not saying that every one was best friends with all the rest of them; as in other workplaces there must have been some close friendships established, some more casual ones, and others on the level of easy acquaintances, and probably even some passing friction. The common experiences they shared over the years will probably remain as a strong connection as they drift apart professionally but still meet up socially or for special events.

Ellen did not really ask for details regarding their future projects, although LM did slip in a sentence or two about Scream Queens; I thought that was a wise choice as it focused their appearance on the main event, i.e. the end of Glee, and on their dynamics together. They each will have specific opportunities to promote their forthcoming books, movies, plays, tours, etc.

Edited by Florinaldo

Ellen did not really ask for details regarding their future projects, although LM did slip in a sentence or two about Scream Queens; I thought that was a wise choice as it focused their appearance on the main event, i.e. the end of Glee, and on their dynamics together. They each will have specific opportunities to promote their forthcoming books, movies, plays, tours, etc.

Just to clarify Ellen asked her about doing something else with Ryan, Lea just answered her..   I think that was two fold Ellen likes to talk NO and that many of the crew will be working on the show.  

I wish I could have gone to the disco parties in Chris' Trailer.   How large was that trailer,and apparently the booze was flowing.

I really hope they were plastered for some of the things they had to do on Glee.

It was funny in view of the recent conversation here, when Ellen asked them about refusing to do something that Ryan wanted them to do, and Lea looked directly at Chris.

Poor Jenna, she didn't refuse anything, and the others seemed to agree what crap the show put her through. 

Edited by fakeempress

Among that group Jenna had the least power to say no.

If you mean that Fox wouldn't have gone to bat for her against Ryan - I imagine she didn't hold such power because she wasn't exactly a breakout actress or character whose absence would alienate viewers much. Even Dianna had to go. So I can see how she wouldn't have wanted to rock the boat and lose her job. 

Edited by fakeempress

If you mean that Fox wouldn't have gone to bat for her against Ryan - I imagine she didn't hold such power because she wasn't exactly a breakout actress or character whose absence would alienate viewers much. So I can see how she wouldn't have wanted to rock the boat and lose her job.

That wasn't what I meant.

I think Chord probably had very little power, even as he was touted as one of the leads.  After all it was him who came back to the show as a guest star in S3, after he left because they didn't offer him a contract like they had Darren.  Basically he caved and I imagine that informed the rest of his tenure on Glee.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I think Chord probably had very little power, even as he was touted as one of the leads.  After all it was him who came back to the show as a guest star in S3, after he left because they didn't offer him a contract like they had Darren.  Basically he caved and I imagine that informed the rest of his tenure on Glee.

Yeah white dudes who are favourites with the boss really struggle.

Not everything is about race.  It is a fact that Chord returned under RM's & Fox's terms, not his.  He wanted a contract.  Glee said see ya!  He then returned in S3 as a guest star, which was exactly the deal he didn't want.  Given that Fox/RM won that power play I still think that informed how much pull he had the rest of his time on Glee.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I doubt any of that happened as a result of Chord demanding it.  It happened Because RM became enamored of Blam! and then because Sam was used as a Finn replacement.  It was almost always about who he was tied to (Blaine & then Rachel) not about Sam himself.  

That is what I mean about power - I think much like Jenna, Chord had very little pull to refuse to go along with one of RM's whims.  The rest didn't have a lot because, according to many RM is quite the tyrant, but it seems Chris, Lea, and Darren all had a little wiggle room.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I doubt Chord demanded more screentime, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that he got more screentime only after most of the other cast had graduated. There were only so many options at that point.

I actually thought it was interesting that even all of them realized just how much Jenna/Tina got shat on. That poor girl. But that picture had me cracking up!

• Love 1

But that all takes place in a world where Chord starts off with more power. I can't think of a better way to say this, but in the market they're in Chord starts off as a more valuable commodity than Jenna. It does step up the power he has. Although I agree with you that most were at the whim of RM. I should point out Chord and Jenna are just examples here, the general principle applies throughout.

Someone made the point in Hollywood tall good looking white men will get opportunity and opportunity. Jenna's spoken about her chances being slimmer than someone with blond hair and blue eyes. That's the world Glee operates in, it can't be separated from that.

And my point is whatever advantage he had with Glee for being a good looking white guy was squandered when he decided to play hard ball with RM/Fox and lost.   For whatever reason he thought he was a valuable enough commodity to demand a contract for season 3.  He misread that completely and he was told see ya.  It was only when he agreed to Glee's terms did he come back.  I still think that likely informed the power dynamics between Chord & TPTB for the rest of his tenure on the show.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

But that all takes place in a world where Chord starts off with more power. I can't think of a better way to say this, but in the market they're in Chord starts off as a more valuable commodity than Jenna. It does step up the power he has. Although I agree with you that most were at the whim of RM. I should point out Chord and Jenna are just examples here, the general principle applies throughout.

Someone made the point in Hollywood tall good looking white men will get opportunity and opportunity. Jenna's spoken about her chances being slimmer than someone with blond hair and blue eyes. That's the world Glee operates in, it can't be separated from that.

I agree with you but I think people were talking specifically about the cast.  But even then, I think Chord is still in a better power position then Jenna, simply because he can easily be sale to the masses unlike Jenna. That gives him more chip to negotiate with then Jenna.

With that said, I think no one but RIB and TPTB  had power in Glee.

• Love 1

I don't think that Lea had any sort of major control over storylines, or she was able to dictate creative decisions to RIB about anything. But, after Cory died, Ryan said it was up to Lea whether or not the show would continue or not. And that, to me, implies a kind of power that no one else on Glee has. Whether you actually believe Ryan would have allowed the show to shutdown is something else, but if you take what Ryan said at face value, Lea was able to determine the fate of the show herself.

Edited by Ceeg

I still do not see why people think Lea has any real power of RIB.  She may know how to work the angles but real power doubtful.

Didn't the studio go to bat for her? Isn't that why she wasn't dropped at the end of season 3? That's power.

Jenna has one disadvantage purely her own, and that is she is a very mediocre actress. These are dime a dozen in HW. She is a very good singer though, and should think about going back to Broadway. 

As I recall correctly, the studio went to bat for Lea, Cory and Chris who were all effectively fired, per Ryan's initial Hollywood Reporter interview.

He never said they were fired.   If we go by interviews it was never in the plans to drop Cory, Lea, Chris, or Naya. Apparently in spring of season 2 there were talks of creating a spin-off after graduation with those 4 and also and continuing original recipe Glee with newbies .  That all blew apart during the media storm the summer before season 3 where RM's cagey interview about post season 3 (in which he tried to be provocative to create buzz and instead ended up creating panic) led to some assuming they were fired.   After that Fox said no one leaves.  Still the 4 grads they explicitly focused on in promotion were Rachel, Finn, Kurt, and Santana.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Jenna has one disadvantage purely her own, and that is she is a very mediocre actress. These are dime a dozen in HW. She is a very good singer though, and should think about going back to Broadway.

Jenna and Dianna are the best actresses amongst the originals.

I don't think the main "kid" leads were in any real danger of being dropped at the end of season 3. IMO that whole graduation/spin-off/what to do? period never had the option of getting rid of LM, CM, and CC.

Jenna and Dianna are the best actresses amongst the originals.

Mileage could not vary any more than it does right now.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 16
I don't think the main "kid" leads were in any real danger of being dropped at the end of season 3. IMO that whole graduation/spin-off/what to do? period never had the option of getting rid of LM, CM, and CC.

Add Naya and from all accounts they weren't although I still wonder if RM had total control if he would have gladly written off Finn after season 3 had there been a spin-off.  With how dismissive he was of Cory in that interview ("I am sure Cory knows") it makes me wonder if his ideal spin-off would have been Rachel, Kurt, Blaine, and Santana taking on New York.

Edited by camussie

I think Lea and Naya are the best of the original "kid" actresses, with Heather and Jenna being the weakest. I like Jenna a lot, but she might be the only person on Glee that hasn't impressed me with her acting at least once. I just don't think she particularly excels at either the comedy or the drama.

I like Dianna. Wouldn't call her the best.

• Love 2

I think Heather is quite obviously the weakest, no argument there. Lea and Naya are meh, they're not bad, but never seen any wow.

Of the kids throughout the show I think Melissa, Becca and Sammie are the best.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he got more screentime only after most of the other cast had graduated. There were only so many options at that point.

Exactly. The Blaine-Sam friendship started to take up screen time during S4; they needed some established characters to drive plots set in the Lima stream. And a good thing too, because Blam was amongst the highlights of S4 and S5.

Not everything is about race. It is a fact that Chord returned under RM's & Fox's terms, not his. He wanted a contract. Glee said see ya! He then returned in S3 as a guest star, which was exactly the deal he didn't want. Given that Fox/RM won that power play I still think that informed how much pull he had the rest of his time on Glee.

That is closer to what I recollect of the events which led to his recurring status in S3. It was said at the time that his manager was a hardball kind of negotiator who made take-it-or-leave-it demands; as I recall, some of CO's family got involved with  unfortunate tweets. Bottom line was: do not overplay your position, you may grow to regret it. CO, who was not publicly involved in that foofaraw as I recall, may have learned a good lesson from that. He did get used regularly following that, even if for only a few minutes in an episode, but at a lower rate than he would have gotten as a regular.

I also agree with your recollections that RM never really intended to fire some of the younger leads. But he bungled the announcements and got mixed up with his messages and posturing statements regarding his plans for the future of Glee and for a possible spinoff. All of which left everyone involved, including the network, with only one viable fallback position to save face: the double locales formula used in S4 and S5.

As for how much power individual cast members have, I am sure that like in every similar situation RIB listen to some people more than to others, especially on some specific subjects in which they feel they may have more expertise. I also think that CM's death created a situation of temporary situational power for LM with regards to the future of the show, in that her feelings and opinions probably counted much more at that point than they ever did before and since. I am not sure however that RM would have abided by her decision if she had declared herself against the show continuing in any form.

Didn't the studio go to bat for her? Isn't that why she wasn't dropped at the end of season 3? That's power.

Nope not even close to what happen.

I don't think Lea has a lot, if any, of power but I wonder how much she had to do with getting

Jonathon Groff

Not much at all since Ryan loves him and has hired him  3 times already for 3 different projects.

Sorry but the whole they would have canceled glee if Lea wanted to end it is unrealistic imo.  Like there was really an option for Lea to say no and put 300+ people out of work.    I think they asked Lea when she thought they should return, asked her how much she wanted to do in the episode and what song she wanted to sing.  Maybe gave her some say in the quarterback episode but after that nada.

From her reaction to the little Sam interaction  by the end of season 5 she was saying she thought that was done with and that she didn't have any say in the matter.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

But, after Cory died, Ryan said it was up to Lea whether or not the show would continue or not. And that, to me, implies a kind of power that no one else on Glee has. 

What was really her choice there? "Yeah, Ryan, I don't feel up to it. Show's over." and see a cast and crew of 100 people out of a job, many of whom were her friends? I think that whole "It's Lea's Choice" thing was more Ryan trying to cover his ass and not take any responsibility yet again.

• Love 2