Type keyword(s) to search

Alaskan Bush People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So I do feel bad for Bear. It was kind of sad watching them all preparing for the wedding knowing it didn't happen. I hope he's ok now.

I mean, there's a chance the whole thing was just for the show, but still, getting dumped right before a wedding is rough.

23 hours ago, realityobserver said:

I suppose I should put this in spoiler space.  I don't really think it's necessary, is anyone even still watching this show?  And if they are, do they really care?  Oh well, you never know.

Spoiler

I had forgotten that Bear and Raiven had a child together until I read your article.  During the show, I kept wondering how she would like living as a married couple inside that shipping container with the mattress hanging from the ceiling lol.  

I looked up an article on Bear and Raiven's relationship (link below).  I don't know how credible the source is, but it can't be any worse than the TV show.  It says they had known each other two weeks before breaking up, so I guess the idea of getting married was pretty rushed there.  The idea of a guy supposedly "raised wild" and living off the grid engaging in a social media battle with his ex-girlfriend is kind of funny.  

She claims that it would be in the best interest of the child if he lived with her.  Yeah, ya think?  He could be living in a shipping container.  She also claims Bear abused her, threatened her with a gun, and abused drugs.  That latter bit would explain a lot about his extreme behaviors.

The article lists Bear's net worth at $160,000 and his parents net worth as half a million each.  That's up a bit from previous discussions, IIRC.  

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/1021281/bear-brown-raiven-adams-alaskan-bush-people/

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I suppose I should put this in spoiler space.  I don't really think it's necessary, is anyone even still watching this show?  And if they are, do they really care?  Oh well, you never know.

Hide contents

I had forgotten that Bear and Raiven had a child together until I read your article.  During the show, I kept wondering how she would like living as a married couple inside that shipping container with the mattress hanging from the ceiling lol.  

I looked up an article on Bear and Raiven's relationship (link below).  I don't know how credible the source is, but it can't be any worse than the TV show.  It says they had known each other two weeks before breaking up, so I guess the idea of getting married was pretty rushed there.  The idea of a guy supposedly "raised wild" and living off the grid engaging in a social media battle with his ex-girlfriend is kind of funny.  

She claims that it would be in the best interest of the child if he lived with her.  Yeah, ya think?  He could be living in a shipping container.  She also claims Bear abused her, threatened her with a gun, and abused drugs.  That latter bit would explain a lot about his extreme behaviors.

The article lists Bear's net worth at $160,000 and his parents net worth as half a million each.  That's up a bit from previous discussions, IIRC.  

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/1021281/bear-brown-raiven-adams-alaskan-bush-people/

Oh snap. Well maybe I feel a little less sorry for him now.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Oh snap. Well maybe I feel a little less sorry for him now.

To be honest, I felt kind of bad for him myself.  It's not his fault he wasn't emotionally ready to be in a serious relationship.  Probably has a lot to do with being raised in relative isolation, although exactly how they were raised isn't exactly clear.  They claim all the kids were home schooled, but I'm not sure what to believe when it comes to this bunch.  It's a wonder that his brothers (except Matt) seem to be in healthy relationships.

There seems to be a strain of drug problems with at least some of the family, you have to wonder where that comes from.

On a lighter note, remind me never to have Gabe cook for me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised at her claims.  I can see the drug abuse and even the physical abuse.  They have been raised by con artist themselves.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of them came out and said that Billy physically abused them also.  These are not law abiding citizens by any stretch of the imagination.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, rmontro said:

On a lighter note, remind me never to have Gabe cook for me

Yea.. that was pretty awful. Spaghetti will never taste the same.

19 hours ago, rmontro said:

To be honest, I felt kind of bad for him myself.  It's not his fault he wasn't emotionally ready to be in a serious relationship. 

Me too, and then to be emasculated nationally is pretty harsh... But then again, he has got a family, and parents, and even a TV crew who could, and should, be offering advice on personal relationships, especially getting married. I mean, seriously, how many people out there have met a person, dated a few days, then proposed marriage, all in the space of just a week or so ? That is how it was portrayed on the show. If that was a family member of mine, I would have seen red flags all over the place, and had a serious discussion with them to consider all options. I suppose in their minds, they all figured Bear knew what he was doing....

• Love 3
5 hours ago, realityobserver said:

Me too, and then to be emasculated nationally is pretty harsh...

Besides that, during the episode they showed that montage of humiliating dating interactions featuring Bear.  He would ask the girls if they liked fire or climbing trees, while they had these confused looks on their faces.  I don't imagine that did much for his ego either.  

It sounds like some family members did raise the issue of rushing things with him, but of course he wasn't having it.  So at that point what could they do but say "we support him"?  In the article I linked to earlier, it sounds like they were together two weeks before the expected wedding.  Talk about your whirlwind romances.  I wonder at what point in there they decided to have a child, if they did decide.  Maybe they used some sort of "bush birth control" method.  I wonder if she returned his wolf ring?

The other thing I forgot to mention was the scene of Bird eating an onion.  I could see eating pieces of an onion, preferably cooked.  But to eat a raw onion like an apple?  That's a little too much for me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

The other thing I forgot to mention was the scene of Bird eating an onion.  I could see eating pieces of an onion, preferably cooked.  But to eat a raw onion like an apple?  That's a little too much for me.

She may have been trying to mask the smell of the cat food she had earlier.

• LOL 4
On 8/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, rmontro said:

Besides that, during the episode they showed that montage of humiliating dating interactions featuring Bear.  He would ask the girls if they liked fire or climbing trees, while they had these confused looks on their faces.  I don't imagine that did much for his ego either.  

It sounds like some family members did raise the issue of rushing things with him, but of course he wasn't having it.  So at that point what could they do but say "we support him"?  In the article I linked to earlier, it sounds like they were together two weeks before the expected wedding.  Talk about your whirlwind romances.  I wonder at what point in there they decided to have a child, if they did decide.  Maybe they used some sort of "bush birth control" method.  I wonder if she returned his wolf ring?

Eating onions like apples is definitely a thing. I wouldn't do it, but I've heard about it before. I love onions, but bleh!

I'm not sure how long they were officially a couple, but it seems like they "went public" with their relationship and were engaged for two weeks before the expected wedding.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Eating onions like apples is definitely a thing. I wouldn't do it, but I've heard about it before. I love onions, but bleh!

I think they've showed Bird eating an onion like that before.  Maybe that was even an old clip.

I could eat a few "chips" of a raw onion, but not a whole one, ick.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2020 at 8:17 PM, Gothish520 said:

It is frequently quoted that upwards of 80% of our taste is made up by smell.

From https://www.huffpost.com/entry/without-sight-or-smell-apples-and-onions-taste-the_b_595d40d8e4b085e766b50fd4

So if you plug your nose and cover your eyes, the taste between an apple and onion should be indistinguishable, right?

The logic makes sense. When I’m home sick, congested and mucus-ridden, eating is often a mundane, muted task. All potato chip flavors taste the same. Chicken noodle soup reminds me of tea with chunks in it. When things are really misty in my nasal cavities, well, you can literally substitute apples and onions and I won’t be able to tell the difference.

In order to test the myth thoroughly, I blindfolded a few of my friends and had them plug their noses while I fed them apples and onions. To everyone’s surprise, the flavors were indistinguishable. When bit into without the onion’s outermost skin, apples and onions share an extremely similar crunch.

If you’re looking to indulge in this experiment at home, after you’ve gone through your trials, I highly recommend throwing in a slice of apple and onion into your mouth at the same time. We had an eerily interesting radish-like experience that I’m curious if anyone else shares as well. The flavors of the apple neutralize the onions pungency.

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, Mothra said:

So if you plug your nose and cover your eyes, the taste between an apple and onion should be indistinguishable, right?

Are you saying Bird has no sense of smell?

• LOL 1

Bird's sense of smell has probably been burned away from years of being around her brothers.  Especially Bear, can you imagine how he must smell after a full day of somersaulting through the woods?

Kind of funny the way they kept posting messages about the Palmer Fire in connection with the Brown's bonfire.  They probably realized people on the internet would be liable to connect the two and suspect the Browns as responsible lol.  I'm sure we've seen this "bonfire to thaw frozen ground" plotline before anyway.

Gabe's fight with the ostrich was interesting.  Ostriches can be dangerous, but it's amazing to see it drag Gabe around like that, because Gabe is not a small boy.  

I couldn't help but feel bad for Bear again in this episode, especially the way he was questioning himself, and if his ways were standing in the way of love for him.  Probably, but what are you going to do?  Bird went out to bag a deer for him, which was nice (apparently she's better at it than Bear and Gabe).  I remember in the past when she went out to hunt, someone went with her because she couldn't carry it back on her own.  So who carried it back this time?  Looks suspicious.

I know I've read about Rain's maple syrup snow candy before in books about pioneer days, might have been the Little House books. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, realityobserver said:

That picture of Bear is frightening.  The warnings really did come off like "The Browns pyromania, and Bear's epecially, had nothing to do with the current fires, honest.  No really."  Discovery sure doth protest much.

I had the exact same thoughts when Bird was giving Bear her wisdom about relationships.  What experience was this advice based on?  Has she ever even had a conversation with a person of the opposite sex (who wasn't her brother or father)?  Not that we've seen.

Why do they always decide to start building a new house a week before winter?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

Bird went out to bag a deer for him, which was nice (apparently she's better at it than Bear and Gabe).  I remember in the past when she went out to hunt, someone went with her because she couldn't carry it back on her own.  So who carried it back this time?  Looks suspicious.

It was ridiculous!

16 hours ago, rmontro said:

I know I've read about Rain's maple syrup snow candy before in books about pioneer days, might have been the Little House books.

You and me both.  We have family up in maple country and we have done the same thing except you don't mix the snow into the syrup.  You leave it set until set and then peel it off the snow.

@realityobserver - another nice recap!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, rmontro said:

Why do they always decide to start building a new house a week before winter?

Drama Drama Drama

2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

We have family up in maple country and we have done the same thing except you don't mix the snow into the syrup.  You leave it set until set and then peel it off the snow.

I figured there was a bit of truth to what she was doing with the syrup, although it seems that she saw it somewhere on Instagram, or the producers wrote it into the script because the producer's great grandmother mentioned it to them once. And since they have never shown any sort of Maple Syrup gathering in the previous episodes (are there even Maple trees in the WA mountains?), I am assuming they just made the whole thing up that it is something that they do or have ever done before.

Basically just fluff drivel to stretch the show out to an hour....

• Love 5
15 hours ago, realityobserver said:

Sometimes its just fun to play with the editing on a computer.....

Considering the likely possibility of some inbreeding within this group, your choice of musical artist was also most appropriate 🪕 🤪

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, wanton87 said:

Considering the likely possibility of some inbreeding within this group, your choice of musical artist was also most appropriate

Haha. I was just thinking that Raiven is kinda old for that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, realityobserver said:

Season 12 Episode 3 recap 'Range Ridin'   9-6-2020

Noah's announcement "They're calling for 30 inches of snow" got me wondering about that phrase.  It's kind of an odd way to say it, isn't it?  "They're calling for" 30 inches of snow, like they're ordering it or something.  And of course we never see the snowstorm, they spend several segments talking about the death storm that's coming, then there's a commercial and then it's "after the storm passes...".  Next week they're talking about a "life threatening" cold snap.  Everything is so dramatic on this show.

Rain was sure talking some crap about Bird and her cats.  I get the impression as soon as Rain turns 18, she's going off with some dude never to be seen again, and Bird will be wondering what happened to her best friend.  Rain talked about Bird getting a boyfriend, I think that is the first time anything like that has even been mentioned on the show, but I just can't see it by this point.  I don't even want to talk about her fried rat feast.  In the previews for the upcoming wildfire, Bird cries through all her lines.

• Love 5

I felt genuinely bad for Bear this episode. It doesn't look like anyone ever told him it's not cool to be so EXTREME in every little thing you do. They try to out do each other in their mountaineer life, lore, and back to the earth lifestyle so much, that clueless Bear thinks he will be praised for his always outrageous actions. They have done him no favors in laughing and encouraging his childishness. Not attractive to the opposite sex.

Bird and her dead animal bone tree is flipping weird. The disgusting dinner she prepared for her cats was just another quest to appear outrageous and cool. Not!

The stink from the million cats peeing, and crapping in that tiny airtight birdbox must be overwhelming. I'm sure the smell must cling to her. Not good for her either. I know for a fact that cat box smell can cause depression with it's anti-aroma therapy effects. It works the opposite of what aroma therapists use to lift spirits and make people healthier mentally and physically.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Also, seeing someone being dragged by that ostrich on previews looked kind of funny. I thought some fool was trying to catch an ostrich. 

Gabe is so lucky he didn't get killed by those killer kicking ostrich legs he managed to evade. Good thing he pulled that Bird to the ground and escaped. The terror in his voice yelling WHAT SHOULD I DO?!! was the most real thing on this show I've ever seen. Except for poor Bears broken misguided heart. He's finally realizing always acting like ass isn't necessarily a good thing. Hopefully he will find someone just for him who can howl at the moon and love being in the presence of someone vying for a gold medal in EXTREMENESS in being the joker entertaining the troops all the time.

Rains maple syrup candy making is what we used to call "sugar on snow". We'd get a pan of hard packed snow and pour the well boiled syrup onto it when it had reached the soft ball stage in candy makers terms. That way it stayed on top of the snow and quickly formed into semi-solid taffy consistency globs. Not watery snow balls with syrup added. 

Edited by SassyCat
spelling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Bird and her dead animal bone tree is flipping weird. The disgusting dinner she prepared for her cats was just another quest to appear outrageous and cool. Not!

Bird's story seems to have taken a dark turn somewhere.

Bear appeared to take a backseat in this last episode.  I do feel bad for him, he can't help it that he has a rather unique personality.  I hope he finds someone.  Expecting a bride to stay on his rat infested mattress is too much to hope for.  But you can't convince me he actually spends the winter in that shipping container.

• Love 5

This was by far the most disgusting episode I think I have ever seen. I mean what adult person would ever want to be in any type relationship with these folks. Bird & Rain eating cake like animals, Bird cooking that atrocious looking mess for the cats. I'm am sure there was much more, these just came to mind. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, realityobserver said:

Yeah , right ?   Said she had pretty much lost her mind... The way this is going, we might see a catfight !!!

A good old fashioned catfight.  Rain vs. Bird.  Might be the best episode yet, although that's a pretty low bar.  But lost her mind?  She was hanging dead animal skeletons from her trees, what would you think?

I'm kind of glad she cooked that mess up for her cats.  Last week on the previews when they showed her dipping the whole mouse in the batter, I was expecting the worse.  On the TV show Alone, they've eaten a lot of mice, but at least they skinned, gutted, and cleaned them first.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oof, that cat feast was hard to watch, yet still, I did - it was both fascinating and grotesque. Even my husband was like WTF? 

Bird and Noah are quite similar in their love for the macabre. As my username attests, I can certainly appreciate a bit of spookiness, but these guys are a little too out there, lol.

• Love 2

Bird had a collection of Star Wars collectables that Noah never knew about. Yeah. Ok. I believe that. Where's she been storing this collection all these years? The one her brother who she's lived with day in day out for decades hasn't a clue she has. We never even got to see these costumes she traded that bath tub for. The ones she's claimed to have had all along. You know Damn well she would have been prancing around the forest in her princess Leia costume if she really had one. 

Teaching us how to take showers with clothes on by washing from the top down was ridiculous too. I've got to say I've never seen her with dirty greasy hair before. They have not lacked in hair care.

I love that Noah and his wife Raiyn have such a good relationship. Being best friends while married is the way to make it last. Good for them!

Bear hasn't tried to tone down his childish extremism after losing his prospective wife to his insanity. Always performing for the cameras like a monkey using that windmill like a jungle Jim to flip and swing on. I was afraid he was going  pull it down.

• Love 2

I was barely paying attention to this episode. Did they even have permission to pillage the neighbor's cabin? It seemed kind of newish and well built for someone to just let them strip it like that. That treasure map stuff was too stupid for even this show. This isn't even their first winter there and they act like everything's an emergency before the FREEZE!  It's amazing that No-duh and bird are such Star Wars fans when a couple of years ago they claimed to barely know what an Iphone was or any pop-culture.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Bird had a collection of Star Wars collectables that Noah never knew about. Yeah. Ok. I believe that. Where's she been storing this collection all these years? The one her brother who she's lived with day in day out for decades hasn't a clue she has. We never even got to see these costumes she traded that bath tub for. The ones she's claimed to have had all along. You know Damn well she would have been prancing around the forest in her princess Leia costume if she really had one. 

That whole bit was absolutely bizarre.  Are we supposed to believe she's been carting this secret cache of Star Wars collectibles around the bush all these years?  And that no one in her family knew she had it, even though they were supposedly living practically right on top of each other, on the same boat, or whatever?  To say it stretches credibility is an understatement. 

Maybe she recently bought the stuff after getting paid her reality TV money.  That or she bartered some salmon for it back in Alaska.  They were living in California a few years back, that would probably be a good place to acquire that kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, Eataton said:

I was barely paying attention to this episode. Did they even have permission to pillage the neighbor's cabin? 

They did say they had permission.  The neighbor was going to tear down the cabin anyway.  Didn't look like they got very much lumber from it though.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, rmontro said:

Are we supposed to believe she's been carting this secret cache of Star Wars collectibles around the bush all these years?

And honestly, what collectables did we see ? A couple of capes ? And I imagine you could pretty much get those anywhere. I wanted to see the Death Star Lego model, the C3PO head, a lightsaber, something, anything authentic.... All we got was two chuds in capes swinging sticks around... What a letdown... The tub she got was the better deal.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

I think Bird said last week that they watched Star Wars a lot because it was one of the only VHS tapes they had (or maybe she said DVD, I don't remember).  Of course, you wonder how it was that they had a TV, DVD player, or power for it since they supposedly lived in the bush all the time.  Did they live with the professor, who made them a TV out of a coconut?  Maybe that's where Noah learned his stuff.

A lot of the stuff in your recaps are things I find myself thinking.  No way that blanket taped over the water pipe keeps it from freezing, let alone thaws it out.  Why do they sit around and cook outside over a fire in the cold when they can just go inside the trailer?  Why does Billy make the same speech every week?  Where does Bam live and why don't they even try to pretend he has some sort of house on the mountain?  They've never even showed us a lean to that he could supposedly sleep in.

Why would Noah buy a truck without even trying to start it, or even asking if it runs?  I know if I want to buy a new vehicle, the first place I look is in the junkyard.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

A lot of the stuff in your recaps are things I find myself thinking.

It makes my brain hurt... lol

It seems like they go out of their way to mystify their audience, or they think that we are so stupid we won't notice. Maybe that is why I write these every week, just to think out loud and wonder....

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, realityobserver said:

It makes my brain hurt... lol

I don't envy you, trying to recap this show.  A lot of it does insult your intelligence, but there's something fascinating about this show that keeps you tuning in, not sure what it is.  Maybe it's the family dynamic, they're dysfunctional but close at the same time.  Maybe because it's so ridiculous, you wonder how long they can keep the charade up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, realityobserver said:

You pointed out Gabe saying that "Asha" wouldn't like them wearing shoes on the floor.  After reading that, I had to go back and check it out myself.  Who the heck is Asha?  The construction foreman maybe?  Billy's cult leader name?

I was also wondering about that scene where Bear pours the cocoa into a snowball, takes one taste of it, then throws it on the ground.  Must not be as good as he was portraying it.

They seem to be really pushing this new "Bird is crazy" narrative.  I see no reason to doubt it, but it's a little sad to see the show openly mocking her like this.  Another sad thing is really, if she would just get that one tooth fixed, she'd look like a normal human being.

This bottle cap business is another of those "Why haven't we heard about this before?" examples.  Apparently they've been using bottle caps as currency all along, but this is the first I've seen of it, as far as I can remember.

If the house building is so important, why don't they have the whole family out there working on it?  That's the benefit of having a large, close knit family.  If they had everyone there, they could have lifted that wall easily.  Next week the fire, looks like.

Edited by rmontro
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, rmontro said:

You pointed out Gabe saying that "Asha" wouldn't like them wearing shoes on the floor.  After reading that, I had to go back and check it out myself.  Who the heck is Asha?  The construction foreman maybe?  Billy's cult leader name?

Someone on a FB page mentioned he probably meat OSHA. 

• Useful 1
41 minutes ago, realityobserver said:

Someone on a FB page mentioned he probably meat OSHA. 

Ah, that makes sense.

By the way, regarding "The Video Collection", I've always loved those silly Hitler videos.  Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the first Alaskan Bush People Hitler video I've seen.