Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: FUBAR

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sig's down to one pack a day! Good for him, i guess. I wonder how many packs he used to smoke. 3?4?

Brenna A stayed in the green! 500 bucks! 100 dollars each! At least they managed to remain in decent spirits about it though. 

Mama oppossum is halfway to retirement. Johnathan has really become one of my favorites over the past few seasons. I just want good things for him.

Now everytime I see Wild Bill in a predicament I can't help but think "attitude makes the difference"mand chuckle. He was never one to shy away from storms much though. Also, I wonder if he replaced or promoted someone to deck boss now that nick is gone. His deckhands all look relatively young.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, thewhiteowl said:

Sig makes a life changing decision. The Time Bandit takes on water and starts to sink. Sean gambles on a new venture with a new crew.

Sorry for the double post, but the episode title should be "F.U.B.A.R." 

"Wild Bill struggles to pilot his new boat in big seas; Johnathan faces off with a massive swell in the perilous False Pass."

Not that it really matters at the end of the day. :P

• Love 3
(edited)

The devil's in the details.  :-)

At my chain smoking best (and believe me, I'm a pro), I can do 2 packs a day, easy.  On a 24/7 several day crabbing binge, one could easily double that.  Hell, my old man was a 4 pack a day Camel unfiltered guy, back in the day - and he worked in an OFFICE!  That said, I cringed at Sig's doc trying to give him a heart to heart (pardon the pun).  Because there ain't no way ever a crab captain can avoid triggers. bad habits, or stress on the Bering Sea.  Has cardioDoc never watched this show?!

ETA - totally forgot my favorite part: Sean's Mum calling him "Seanie-Poo" on the phone.  I may need to call him that myself from now on.  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5

I was really uncomfortable with the Down's syndrome "reveal."  I find it extremely difficult to believe that a doctor would deliver that news to parents on camera.  Don't care to watch it again -- were there editing jumps to indicate it may not have happened precisely as shown?  I hope for their sakes that it was a re-creation of a previous appointment.  

I found the whole engagement thing awkwardly phony, too.  "Mandy, come outside with me for no apparent reason while the camera crew is here!"  "Let's stand in the kitchen with the camera crew watching this guy propose to our daughter!"

What hooked me on Deadliest Catch was the realism, but it seems in short supply lately.

• Love 4

Sig certainty looked both humbled and awkward while meeting his doctor. I've never seen him so unsure of himself.

19 minutes ago, Swim mom said:

Sig certainty looked both humbled and awkward while meeting his doctor. I've never seen him so unsure of himself.

He was worried the Doc would advise against going out for opies.  That's why he tried to paint his last fishing trip as "fun" (which it probably was, as fishing was good), but downplayed the necessary rigors & stress of captaining a crab vessel.

I will give some props to the Doc for realizing Sig would probably go crazy from the stress of staying home & missing out on another trip (plus, he'd drive his wife and Edgar crazy, too).

• Love 3
13 hours ago, kassa said:

I was really uncomfortable with the Down's syndrome "reveal."  I find it extremely difficult to believe that a doctor would deliver that news to parents on camera.  Don't care to watch it again -- were there editing jumps to indicate it may not have happened precisely as shown?  I hope for their sakes that it was a re-creation of a previous appointment. 

I was more annoyed by his wife repeatedly saying the baby would be fine, nothing will be wrong with the baby. I'm sure Jake's parents told themselves that about their daughter, when we know she wasn't. If I remember right, she was sick her entire life and died relatively young. Jake was probably remembering his sister during that, regardless if the condition and diagnosis were remotely similar or not.

This whole episode was basically pointless though. Why was it even an episode? Plenty of boats have had shorter seasons than others is the past and there wasn't more than a mention, let alone a whole episode.

I can't believe that Sig is still smoking. I know it's hard to quit, but damn. After a heart attack as severe as the one he had, you would think he would just quit and not take anymore chances. 

And with Jake and his wife, that Dr should have kept her mouth shut until the other test came back.  No need to make them worry unnecessarily.  

• Love 3

Perhaps others will know -- isn't the blood test done after the ultrasound shows an irregularity?  The show appeared to indicate that the blood had already been drawn and sent out.  I suspect they asked for the blood AFTER seeing the ultrasound measurements.  But maybe blood screening is something they do on everybody nowadays right from the start?  

At least parents no longer need amnio.  

• Love 1
On May 31, 2017 at 4:38 PM, kassa said:

I found the whole engagement thing awkwardly phony, too.  "Mandy, come outside with me for no apparent reason while the camera crew is here!"  "Let's stand in the kitchen with the camera crew watching this guy propose to our daughter!"

What hooked me on Deadliest Catch was the realism, but it seems in short supply lately.

I think this is a very good point.  On one hand, people want realism, on the other hand, people don't want shows to be TOO real, i.e. a doctor delivering news to parents on camera, that's just too much realism.   Maybe the show wants to move away from just fishing.  

8 hours ago, kassa said:

Perhaps others will know -- isn't the blood test done after the ultrasound shows an irregularity?  The show appeared to indicate that the blood had already been drawn and sent out.  I suspect they asked for the blood AFTER seeing the ultrasound measurements.  But maybe blood screening is something they do on everybody nowadays right from the start?  

At least parents no longer need amnio.  

My SIL has just been through the screening and it hasn't seemed to change since I had my babies 16 years ago. Bloods and US are taken and the combined results give you the chance of DS, if you come back in the high category then further diagnostic testing (amnio) may be recommended. Here all mothers are offered the screening tests and they need to be done in a specific period (bloods 9 - 12 weeks) (US 11 -13 weeks) so bloods are normally done first because of timing. If you miss those dates there is a different screening blood test that can be taken from 14-20 weeks but it is less accurate.

What they showed on the show was still only a screening test so even with a combined high risk result it is not a diagnosis, to confirm DS an amnio or CVS still need to be carried out. From memory about 1 in 5 high risk result turns out to be nothing. US alone on the nuchal fold and nasal bones is about 60% accuracy so giving the result of just the US was a bit of a douche move.

• Love 3

Hi all, late posting here.  I also was shocked and very uncomfortable with something so personal as the possible DS being revealed and discussed on TV.  I would never let such a thing get on tv. Another new low for disco.

Surprised after all that money Andy and Johnathan spent on the TB that the boat continues to have such big problems. I know those boats take a beating but still. 

I can't believe Sig is still smoking either. At least he is down to one pack a day. Walnutqueen - love the "his doctor never watched the show" comment-lol. So true, after all the years the show has been on tv you would think he has seen at least seen a couple of shows.  Agree about the Mandy thing being staged.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

Surprised after all that money Andy and Johnathan spent on the TB that the boat continues to have such big problems. I know those boats take a beating but still. 

When we saw the Time Bandit in Kodiak during that major overhaul a few years ago, she was just sitting out on a beach with a tarp over her (it was a Sunday, so no one was working on it) . . . now I'm not surprised at the issues they're having.  Looked like a really low-class operation was doing the overhaul.  Aren't most overhauls done in a boatyard, with the boat actually IN a drydock?

IMG_2423 (640x480).jpg

• Love 2

It's been my impression, and this is founded in my personal skepticism about Andy's ability to make good, sensible, business contracts, that that entire re-fit/re-hab/overhaul was done as cheaply as possible.  The engine room painting disaster is where I pin this on - the guy who did it did such a terrible job that they had to scrape all of it out, and hire someone else to do it properly.  And at no point was anything said about suing the first painter....  Some people can look at a person and say oh, he's sick or oh, he's high, or oh, he's drunk -- I've seen enough badly spec'd contracts to look at Andy's woes and think oh, he's too cheap to get contracts written and vetted by a good lawyer....

I'm sure some of the problems TB had last season are down to the battering a ship will take in a fishery like the Bering Sea, just as the battering the captains and crews take are down to the working conditions....  But less than fantastic maintenance doesn't help in either circumstance.

• Love 2

They call THAT, weather?  By Bering Sea standards?!!!  What rot.

So...Brenna cappy says they must have 50K lbs of cod to break even before going out for the harvest we saw.  He said he was about 30K short.  Then, the final off load (by choice) reveals a season total of 27.5K    But waaaaait.....they made a bare profit!  Disco math.  Coming to a government near you.

One Disco manipulation which I would normally deeply resent is the patriotic streak of the several boats depicted/featured, most notably the TB.  However, to these eyes, that is something that remains real.  It's at the core of who those guys are.  I fail to detect the slightest bit of phoniness despite the numerous times Disco has shown it.  YMMV.

• Love 2