Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

Not that I necessarily think this leaker is telling the truth (we must be pushing 50 fake leakers at this point), but do we know that all the GC die in Winterfell? Is it possible the GC follows Team Jon/Dany to KL?

It is possible, and if there are survivors it'll probably be the case -only a Cersei Lannister would be crazy enough not to fight the AOTD once she saw them. But then, there'd be no reason for Grey Worm to die at the GC's hands in KL.

Edited by Happy Harpy

I think Missandei will leave for Naath at the end of the show for sure. In the leaked outlines for S7 she speaks about it with Grey Worm. I think they cut it, because it would make it too obvious.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

He says that GreyWorm dies at the hands of the Golden Company and there were pictures of their shields at WF. If they're filming KL scenes right now and Jacob/his stunt double is there, those fleaks are debunked.

Jacob also filmed something at Italica.

1 hour ago, nikma said:

I think Missandei will leave for Naath at the end of the show for sure. In the leaked outlines for S7 she speaks about it with Grey Worm. I think they cut it, because it would make it too obvious.

Didn’t that bit of dialogue also imply that Grey Worm would go with her?

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Indeed, but weren't those "leftovers"of the WF battle he filmed with Kit? I don't remember clearly.

No, I think it’s the other way around: they filmed Dragonpit stuff in the Magheramorne quarry because they couldn’t get the permits in time to do all of it at the Dragonpit. Whatever scenes were filmed at Italica will take place after the Winterfell battle.

Just a thought, but if Missandei does go back to Naath at the end of the show (along with Grey Worm if he survives), then isn’t that a hint that Dany doesn’t end up on the throne? I doubt they would abandon her as long as she needed them.

I hope Grey Worm and Missandei live happily ever after. I’m rooting for those two crazy kids.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Just a thought, but if Missandei does go back to Naath at the end of the show (along with Grey Worm if he survives), then isn’t that a hint that Dany doesn’t end up on the throne? I doubt they would abandon her as long as she needed them.

I hope Grey Worm and Missandei live happily ever after. I’m rooting for those two crazy kids.

If Grey Worm dies, a happy-ish ending for Missandei could be returning to Naath so that she can spend some time mourning him in peace, with Dany promising her that she'll have a position at court if she eventually chooses to return to Westeros. If they both survived and Dany also lived, with a ton of rebuilding to do but no Cersei/NK to threaten her, a honeymoon or even a life in Naath could be a way to emphasize that Missandei and Grey Worm are now free to do as they wish, whether that means continuing to serve Dany or leaving her service with her best wishes for their future together.

1 hour ago, ElizaD said:

If Grey Worm dies, a happy-ish ending for Missandei could be returning to Naath so that she can spend some time mourning him in peace, with Dany promising her that she'll have a position at court if she eventually chooses to return to Westeros. If they both survived and Dany also lived, with a ton of rebuilding to do but no Cersei/NK to threaten her, a honeymoon or even a life in Naath could be a way to emphasize that Missandei and Grey Worm are now free to do as they wish, whether that means continuing to serve Dany or leaving her service with her best wishes for their future together.

I guess that's my point, though. Why would Missandei, Grey Worm, and the Unsullied (if that cut bit of dialogue between Missandei and Grey Worm about Naath needing to be protected) leave Dany to her own devices in a devastated, wartorn Westeros, when she would need them more than ever to help her rule and keep the peace? She didn't tell them to get lost when she wanted to rule Meereen, after all.

The only compelling reason I can think of that Missandei, Grey Worm, and the Unsullied would leave Westeros--other than the likelihood that GRRM's endgame doesn't include the Unsullied or Missandei staying in Westeros--is that Dany no longer needs them, and the only realistic reasons I can think of why Dany would no longer need the Unsullied and Missandei are her death or her renunciation of the throne.

34 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I guess that's my point, though. Why would Missandei, Grey Worm, and the Unsullied (if that cut bit of dialogue between Missandei and Grey Worm about Naath needing to be protected) leave Dany to her own devices in a devastated, wartorn Westeros, when she would need them more than ever to help her rule and keep the peace? She didn't tell them to get lost when she wanted to rule Meereen, after all.

The only compelling reason I can think of that Missandei, Grey Worm, and the Unsullied would leave Westeros--other than the likelihood that GRRM's endgame doesn't include the Unsullied or Missandei staying in Westeros--is that Dany no longer needs them, and the only realistic reasons I can think of why Dany would no longer need the Unsullied and Missandei are her death or her renunciation of the throne.

What about war PTSD?

Or she really misses her homeland.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

No, I think it’s the other way around: they filmed Dragonpit stuff in the Magheramorne quarry because they couldn’t get the permits in time to do all of it at the Dragonpit. Whatever scenes were filmed at Italica will take place after the Winterfell battle.

Ah, OK! In those conditions, I don't believe GW dies like at the hands of the GC.

2 hours ago, GrailKing said:

What about war PTSD?

Or she really misses her homeland.

Hasn’t she already canonically said she didn’t want to go back?  It’s not like she knows anybody there, at this point.  Her village was sacked.

• Love 1

Some info/speculation from /BoatsexBaby at /Freefolk about filming this week, which seems to be taking place both on the KL exterior set at the studio and at the Magheramorne Quarry again:

Cool! Looks like only Kit, Jacob and Peter are the confirmed ones in Belfast this week.

Peter sighting from today:

Cycled past Peter Dinklage on the lagan towpath this morning. Beautiful day for a walk or a cycle. Source

Lena is in London:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkiMXlRlIob/?taken-by=iamlenaheadey

Sophie spotted in Paris yesterday with Joe:

https://twitter.com/StarshootinP/status/1011994189524013056

I think Maisie is in Belfast, too, but Emilia (who was spotted in a London bookstore today), Sophie and Lena are definitely elsewhere. Not sure about John and Liam, but both were sporting big beards at Kit's wedding, so I doubt they're done.

All of them might not be filming at the same location though considering both the units - Drogon and Wolf are still filming. Apart from the ones mentioned, I think there might be a lot of minor characters there this week. I am particularly interested in finding out where Lino, Tobias and Khivju are. They are so hard to stalk sleuth. ?

And when asked about what's being filmed:

It's the KL battle/battle in the South in Episode 5 and 6. This is the last week for many of the crew members, so if filming continues next week in the Quarry, we might get a better idea which episode (5 or 6) was being filmed there. That should help with connecting the dots. For now, I think the Quarry is Ep 5 and the KL set is Ep 6 based on the schedule of some of the crew members.

Could these scenes be a continuation of what was filmed in Spain?

Either a continuation or they might be filming the scenes preceding the ones filmed in Spain. One of the reasons why I am interested in Lino, Tobias and the Vale lord who was spotted by the fan in the airport.

(edited)

It's the KL battle/battle in the South in Episode 5 and 6.

Either a continuation or they might be filming the scenes preceding the ones filmed in Spain. One of the reasons why I am interested in Lino, Tobias and the Vale lord who was spotted by the fan in the airport.

Is it fair to assume, then, that survivors from the Seven Kingdoms indeed find shelter in KL? Scourging of Westeros, including the Vale, by the AOTD?

Daenerys didn't want to be Queen of the Ashes, victory was just a mean to an end for Jon (saving people being his priority) but they'll have to reign over the precious little the NK left of the realm...bittersweet enough?

Edited by Happy Harpy

More from /BoatsexBaby on Seville and Doublegate (and here she does refer to them as body doubles, not stand-ins), bolding mine:

The thing with Seville is that even though it was the KL battle AFAIK, they most likely filmed three sets of scenes in the Italica. The presence of doubles for some and not for the others guarantees that they filmed atleast 2 different scenes. This is what I have so far based on the info I got and my speculation based on that:

Scene 1: Tyrion, Sansa, Sweetrobin, Brienne (Body doubles and were there for majority of the days), Extras (?).

Scene 2: Arya, Gendry, Davos, Sam, Bran (No body doubles but were there for the entire filming duration).

Scene 3: Jon, Jacob (Body doubles but were in Seville only for a few days. 1.5 days for Kit. Rumored night shoot), NK, Extras (?).

[When asked whether this means that any other actor who was present didn't film these scenes] No. We are still uncertain. It's possible that they shot for a quick scene which didn't require them to stay for the entire duration. Jaime, Jaqen, Edmure and Lord Royce are on my list of 'maybe'.

Maybe @WearyTraveler can make sense of why body doubles would be needed for the Tyrion/Sansa/Brienne/Robin scene and not the Arya/Gendry/Davos/Sam/Bran scene, I dunno. It could just be the height differential issue.

Another poster said that NCW has been elsewhere in Europe this week (Denmark and France), so this week's scenes didn't involve Jaime. We know he's doing ADR next week, so whatever's being filmed now, Jaime isn't a part of it.

10 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Is it fair to assume, then, that survivors from the Seven Kingdoms indeed find shelter in KL? Scourging of Westeros, including the Vale, by the AOTD?

Daenerys didn't want to be Queen of the Ashes, victory was just a mean to an end for Jon (saving people being his priority) but they'll have to reign over the precious little the NK left of the realm...bittersweet enough?

If Edmure and Robin wind up in KL, it's either because they're lending their armies to the final effort, or because everything north of KL has been overrun by the AOTD.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Hasn’t she already canonically said she didn’t want to go back?  It’s not like she knows anybody there, at this point.  Her village was sacked.

When?

(edited)
21 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Maybe @WearyTraveler can make sense of why body doubles would be needed for the Tyrion/Sansa/Brienne/Robin scene and not the Arya/Gendry/Davos/Sam/Bran scene, I dunno. It could just be the height differential issue.

I don't know. If it is doubles and not stand-ins, then the scene requires a physical effort that would be risky for the actor.  Possibilities I can think of:

1. Brienne and Tyrion (who is not usually a fighter, but did fight in Blackwater and against the Mountain Clans when he was being taken to The Vale) are defending the non-fighters Sansa and Robin, assuming this happens during the battle at KL
  2. Brienne is teaching Robin how to fight.  Robin is not very good at it and bumps or slashes Sansa / Tyrion (thus requiring doubles for them), assuming this happens in a denouement scene

I think someone needs to ask BoatsexBaby if she knows the differences for the names given to the roles people who substitute the actors perform because here she is using body doubles, which is something different than stunt doubles (usually just called doubles, as this was the first and only substitution role in existence for a long time in Hollywood, before things got more sophisticated) and stand-ins.  

• Stand-ins: people who stand in place of the actor while the crew and director set the scene (props, lighting, actor marks on the floor, etc) and frame the shot.  Then the actor is called to perform in the different takes a director makes of the scene
  • Stunt doubles: people that substitute the actor during sequences that have a higher probability for injury (car chases, fights, falls, etc.), usually just called doubles
  • Body doubles: people who substitute the actor when the actor doesn't want or can't have his/her body in a scene and there's no risk of injury. A typical example is for a nude scene (Lena used a body double for Cersei's walk of shame), or when an actor's schedule can't be coordinated (Julia Roberts used a body double for the shot of her midriff through the window of Richard Gere's car in Pretty Woman), or when the actor has a physical condition that will not allow him/her to perform that particular scene (e.g. a cast in one's leg, pregnancy, etc.)
Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nikma said:

When?

I may be thinking of the books (where Dany offered her the chance to go home, and she declined), but I could swear something like that came up at some point in Season 3.  Eh, maybe not.

22 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I may be thinking of the books (where Dany offered her the chance to go home, and she declined), but I could swear something like that came up at some point in Season 3.  Eh, maybe not.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I just don't remember. 

3 hours ago, SeanC said:

Didn't Davos or Jon ask her and if she wanted to leave , she said that Danni would give her a ship and wish her good fortune?

I know people are saying Nath, but they could go anywhere.

3 hours ago, GrailKing said:

Didn't Davos or Jon ask her and if she wanted to leave , she said that Danni would give her a ship and wish her good fortune?

I know people are saying Nath, but they could go anywhere.

Yes, that’s probably what I was thinking about in the show.

I don’t think there’s much motivation for them to just sail off somewhere.

(edited)
20 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

I don't know. If it is doubles and not stand-ins, then the scene requires a physical effort that would be risky for the actor.  Possibilities I can think of:

1. Brienne and Tyrion (who is not usually a fighter, but did fight in Blackwater and against the Mountain Clans when he was being taken to The Vale) are defending the non-fighters Sansa and Robin, assuming this happens during the battle at KL
  2. Brienne is teaching Robin how to fight.  Robin is not very good at it and bumps or slashes Sansa / Tyrion (thus requiring doubles for them), assuming this happens in a denouement scene

I don't know whether or not it's denouement. If they're filming winter scenes with cast and 600+ extras in 30+ temperatures in Belfast, they may not have been as concerned about letting cast film winter scenes during the day in May in Seville as I thought they were, which was the main reason I thought the Seville day scenes might be denouement.

If the Seville day scenes aren't denouement, then any character whose actor filmed those scenes is of course fair game to get killed off, although we know that of those characters, Arya, Sam, Davos, and Tyrion are involved in the big KL battle scene, so they at least make it that far.

Kit was spotted in London today, still rocking the beard and long curls.

Edited by Eyes High

They never used more than one ship in the past? I think there was just one for the "Blackwater" and "Stormborn". So if they need more ships that means that the action scene is more complicated than those we got in the past?

54 minutes ago, nikma said:

It's strange that they didn't gave any interviews since the end of S7.

May have to wait for S8 or the grand Bluray collection.

From what I see on Reddit, many skipped this party. 

Kit is still rocking the beard and curls.

Rory finally surfaced this past week, with multiple photos in Belfast of him sporting a magnificent beard.

Sophie’s Gold Derby interview from last year surfaced this week for some reason. She promises that S8 will have more deaths than every season before it, and that there will be tension between little groups as people unite to face the imminent threat.

Judging from activity at the studio, it looks like the big KL sequence they were working on is over with. There may still be some small studio scenes filmed next week, but the 600 extra stuff is done. Someone posted a farewell to and photo of the GOT stunt doubles last week.

Looks like that’s a wrap for S8, barring some small studio scenes next week. And now we play the waiting game.

• Love 2
Just now, Eyes High said:

Looks like that’s a wrap for S8, barring some small studio scenes next week. And now we play the waiting game.

I was precisely writing this post because there's zero news :)) Maybe it's still too early to speculate about the titles for S8 but here I go. Based on some spoilers (battle of WF, fall of WF, sequence of events etc.) and previous seasons' patterns here are my first guesses;

8x01 A Time for Wolves (all the Starks reunited and back on top, before they lose WF)

8x02 We Do Not Sow (Greyjoy battle and/or Euron turning against Cersei, but it could also apply to mercenaries like the GC or even the Iron Bank)

8x03 Winterfell (or even Winter Fell)

8x04 The Long Night or simply, The Night (Imo, it will be something directly linked to the episode's plot like it was the case with "The Door" or "The Queen's Justice". )

8x05 Ice and Fire

8x06 A Dream of Spring

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

8x06 A Dream of Spring

It would be quite the middle finger from D&D to name their final episode after the unpublished (and quite possibly never to be published) novel that’s supposed to end the book series, but they did name an episode The Winds of Winter, so who knows?

It seems very likely that S8 is going to be the Jon And Arya Show. Kit and Maisie have been filming nonstop since January.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

It would be quite the middle finger from D&D to name their final episode after the unpublished (and quite possibly never to be published) novel that’s supposed to end the book series, but they did name an episode The Winds of Winter, so who knows?

I think they'll do it. Either that or Ice and Fire. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, nikma said:

Wouldn’t put it past them, either.

I forgot to mention this in the previous posts, but Secondofhername on Twitter said she was chatting with some S8 extras, and one played a butcher who flees or is killed in the battle of Winterfell. Sounds like the battle might be a bit like the Wall battle in S4, with some room to room fighting in addition to the fighting outside.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

at the wrap party; leak, tease your guesses.

c3f3pn33oc711.jpg

Jonerys throne endgame confirmed!!! (Kidding...mostly.)

A catchphrase that popped up from Nathalie and another person who attended the wrap party is “We shall never see your like again,” which is a modified take on the NW funeral words. 

Sophie also made noises about Sansa becoming a warrior in S8. I assume she means figuratively...?

15 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Sophie also made noises about Sansa becoming a warrior in S8. I assume she means figuratively...?

I don't remember this, link ?

I remember her saying her struggle will be more personal / emotional .

2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

It seems very likely that S8 is going to be the Jon And Arya Show. Kit and Maisie have been filming nonstop since January.

It isn't their fault if the book isn't published so I wouldn't see it as a middle finger but as sticking to the plan. Although I'm quite certain they'd rather have the book and not take some flack for some ideas that are GRRM's.

Tease me with the Jon and Arya show and I might find a way to fast-forward time, LOL. (If only...)

2 hours ago, nikma said:

"A Song of Ice and Fire" is a title I could see for either 8x05 or 8x06.

48 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Jonerys throne endgame confirmed!!! (Kidding...mostly.)

A catchphrase that popped up from Nathalie and another person who attended the wrap party is “We shall never see your like again,” which is a modified take on the NW funeral words. 

House Stargaryen sigil confirmed! Mostly not kidding. I used to picture it as a direwolf's head replacing one of the dragons, and more so after the loss of Viserion, but I like this version, too.

I have the feeling that Sophie says something like this about Sansa every season. It has to be figuratively. Arya spent two full seasons at the HBW and there are still people who call her skills "unearned". I can't fathom SansInsta-Warrior anywhere but in (bad) fanfiction.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I have the feeling that Sophie says something like this about Sansa every season. It has to be figuratively. Arya spent two full seasons at the HBW and there are still people who call her skills "unearned". I can't fathom SansInsta-Warrior anywhere but in (bad) fanfiction.

Probably a better mental /political Warrior, over any type of skilled weaponize person.

I would be happy to see her at least handle a dagger as protection.

Sansa is not a warrior (and she doesn't need to be) but she should have some self defense skills to protect herself.  

As an aside I hope to see more Valyrian Steel swords.  We have the golden company on the show.  Hopefully they have Blackfyre and Dark Sister.  It will be awesome that the last two targs wield targ swords.

Sansa isn't a warrior, but Jon did order that every man, woman and child in the North train to fight.  So I think it would be awesome to have a scene with Brienne trying to teach her some basic skills, Sansa failing, and Arya watching it all and laughing her ass off.

I'm loving the Stargaryen Sigil.  :::fingers crossed:::

As for ep titles - I wouldn't be surprised to see something like The Lion and the Kraken for episode two.  There is a tradition for the House and House episode titles.  I'd like to see A Dream of Spring for 8.5, and A Song of Ice & Fire as the title for 8.6.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Cujoy said:

Sansa isn't a warrior, but Jon did order that every man, woman and child in the North train to fight.  So I think it would be awesome to have a scene with Brienne trying to teach her some basic skills, Sansa failing, and Arya watching it all and laughing her ass off.

I'm loving the Stargaryen Sigil.  :::fingers crossed:::

As for ep titles - I wouldn't be surprised to see something like The Lion and the Kraken for episode two.  There is a tradition for the House and House episode titles.  I'd like to see A Dream of Spring for 8.5, and A Song of Ice & Fire as the title for 8.6.

I would like to see Sansa defend herself, eventually fail because it isn't her field of competence, realize what it means to truly take part in a battle and thank Brienne on her knees for "minding" her -nope, still didn't digest this one- before she apologizes to every fighter of the BoTB for taking sole credit. I wonder if Tyrion might save her the way he saved Missandei in 5x09?

I could see "The Lion and the Kraken", especially if Jaime arrives in WF in parallel to developments for House Greyjoy. I also hesitated to go for "The Dragon and The Lion" for 8x04 since it would imply developments for Jaime/Daenerys or Daenerys/Tyrion but could eventually be about the Jon/Cersei scene that was filmed in Dubrovnik.

But if they use "Ice and Fire" or "A Song of Ice and Fire" somewhere, although not sigils per se,  it's already a symbolic reference to characters (per Melisandre in S7 "I brought Ice and Fire together") so it might be redudant. Same if they use "A Time for Wolves", and considering how pro-Stark the show audience seems to be, I can't but feel they will.

1 hour ago, Sunshinegal said:

As an aside I hope to see more Valyrian Steel swords.  We have the golden company on the show.  Hopefully they have Blackfyre and Dark Sister.  It will be awesome that the last two targs wield targ swords.

I would love it if Jon found Dark Sister in Lyanna's grave. Will they do a musical chair game with Valyrian swords if so? Jon finally gives Longclaw back to Jorah and wields Dark Sister instead? And who will get Heartsbane? I'm going back and forth between Tormund and the Hound.

Not sure that Dany will fight with a sword, it hasn't been her way so far. Two Targs with Targ swords is a beautiful image but personally, I would find it as Insta-warrior as Sansa.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I would love it if Jon found Dark Sister in Lyanna's grave. Will they do a musical chair game with Valyrian swords if so? Jon finally gives Longclaw back to Jorah and wields Dark Sister instead? And who will get Heartsbane? I'm going back and forth between Tormund and the Hound.

Not sure that Dany will fight with a sword, it hasn't been her way so far. Two Targs with Targ swords is a beautiful image but personally, I would find it as Insta-warrior as Sansa.

You're right about Dany.  What I would now like to see is Jon wielding Blackfyre, Arya wielding Dark Sister (Visenya wielded it and Arya knows how to use a sword) and Jorah wielding Long claw.  Seeing Jon and Arya fighting side by side with Valyrian swords will be great.  

Either Tormund and the Hound will be great in wielding Heartsbane.  Both are great warriors.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Sunshinegal said:

You're right about Dany.  What I would now like to see is Jon wielding Blackfyre, Arya wielding Dark Sister (Visenya wielded it and Arya knows how to use a sword) and Jorah wielding Long claw.  Seeing Jon and Arya fighting side by side with Valyrian swords will be great.  

Either Tormund and the Hound will be great in wielding Heartsbane.  Both are great warriors.

I wish I wasn't because it would indeed be awesome :)) Jon/Dany can still fight together with their dragons, fingers crossed. I'm certain Jon and Arya are going to fight side by side and I can't wait. Arya already has Catspaw, but it isn't a sword...I want to know what was written about it in the book Sam was reading because I feel it might be a crucial element in the Living's victory.

I wonder if there's a play on the words somewhere, Heartsbane for Giantsbane or something? LOL. OTOH the Hound is kind of a member of the Brotherhood now, so I'd say he'd get a flaming sword...except that for obvious reasons, it probably won't happen. He's one of the strongest fighters, logic would say he gets one of the best weapons. Either Valyrian steel, or the secret one Gendry is going to devise?

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1