Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

I think the Season 7 scenes showing Sansa taking care of storing food and preparing for the Winter makes it clear what role she will be playing next season, and that is a vital role. Whether fans think that it's a role anyone can do or Sansa being the one doing it makes no sense matters not, as she is the only character the writers wanted us to see focussing her energies on these matters, so it is clear that the writers are setting her up to be the one taking care of what is basically the 'homefront' next season.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Sansa ran off and locked herself in her room if you remember as well. 

Cersei sat herself on the Iron Throne and was prepared to feed poison to her son so he wouldn’t be brutally murdered like Elias kids at the sack of Kings Landing. Let’s not twist the narrative to prop up our favorites please.

After being told to; her first action was calming the people around her, and even telling Shae to come, but Shae wanted to say her good bye to Tyrion.

Either way that scene showed how one should react or at least put Sansa in a better light then Cersei.

12 minutes ago, Edith said:

I would like to see the story board they each got. : )

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Cersei sat herself on the Iron Throne and was prepared to feed poison to her son so he wouldn’t be brutally murdered like Elias kids at the sack of Kings Landing. Let’s not twist the narrative to prop up our favorites please.

It was a cowardly act, she could had stayed and let Payne do the deed.

She was shown: cowardly, drunk and vindictive and loathing of those she's sworn to protect.

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Either way that scene showed how one should react or at least put Sansa in a better light then Cersei.

Next to Cersei, Sauron from LOTR comes off in a better light ?

9 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

It was a cowardly act, she could had stayed and let Payne do the deed.

She was shown: cowardly, drunk and vindictive and loathing of those she's sworn to protect.

What? So it was cowardly to have her son die peacefully in her arms and it was better to Payne chop his head off? She had Payne there specifically to murder Sansa. What are you even talking about? I’m not a fan of Cersei, but I personally would rather kill myself and my son painlessly with poison before I allow myself to gangraped and my son butchered.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Edith said:

I wonder if Hannah's last scenes were in Seville and she managed to avoid detection as Gemma Whelan and Tobias Menzies apparently did. If the scenes were denouement scenes, it would make sense for Gilly to be there along with Sam. And then there's this bit where she talks about the last scene filmed:

"Without giving anything away, the final scene I got to shoot was the one I would have chosen [to be my last]," Murray said. "It was a very special day."

Hmmm.

4 minutes ago, whateverdgaf said:

I think the Season 7 scenes showing Sansa taking care of storing food and preparing for the Winter makes it clear what role she will be playing next season, and that is a vital role. Whether fans think that it's a role anyone can do or Sansa being the one doing it makes no sense matters not, as she is the only character the writers wanted us to see focussing her energies on these matters, so it is clear that the writers are setting her up to be the one taking care of what is basically the 'homefront' next season.

There will be no "homefront" if Winterfell is destroyed in the third episode. It's possible, however, that Sansa stays behind after the attack to help rebuild Winterfell and then only shows up in KL for the epilogue (assuming I'm right about the Seville day shoots being epilogue material). It would mean she would pretty much disappear from the show midseason, but that accords with what we know of her filming schedule, so it makes sense. Sansa's plot came to an end, if not a particularly organic or well thought out end, last season.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

There will be no "homefront" if Winterfell is destroyed in the third episode. It's possible, however, that Sansa stays behind after the attack to help rebuild Winterfell and then only shows up in KL for the epilogue (assuming I'm right about the Seville day shoots being epilogue material). It would mean she would pretty much disappear from the show midseason, but that accords with what we know of her filming schedule, so it makes sense. Sansa's plot came to an end, if not a particularly organic or well thought out end, last season.

Sansa's conflict with LF ended last season. We have yet to see the extent of what all of Sansa's experiences have taught her ,what type of person Sansa has become, which Season 8 Sansa dealing with running  Winterfell would provide an opportunity to do so. LF was only a supporting player in Sansa's arc, her story does not end with him.

Edited by whateverdgaf
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

There will be no "homefront" if Winterfell is destroyed in the third episode.

There will be one at least until Winterfell is destroyed, which is after all almost half of the season :)) That's why they needed to show Sansa worrying about the lack of food in WF during S7, imo, partly because Sansa never gave a fuck about the smallfolk so far. So it could be that they established her role -not that she'd be able to actually protect people, I agree- it could be that D&D only wanted to introduce the notion of a hard siege for WF, or it could be both.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Because of Sansa's overwhelming experience with the WWs...? If it's a Blackwater situation, it will probably be Gilly, who unlike Sansa has some firsthand knowledge in this department, calming Sansa down, not the other way around

The point of the Blackwater scene is not that Sansa was not afraid. She was, probably much more than some of people there; but she acted calm in benefit of the rest. We saw the real potential of Sansa there. With the WW invasion I am pretty sure she will be really terrified, but we will see the realization of such potential in the middle of the chaos.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Edith said:

Missandei, Dany, Sansa, Bran and Arya seem clear possibilities  to be the characters that she hadn't worked with before.

From the books, I think Sansa will play a role in securing foodstocks of the Vale, a point which was brought to the attention of the readers in a TWOW chapter that Marting released. That she was shown gathering food in S7 probably is a nod to that role in the books, even if things may not go the same way in the show.

Let's hope there will be a homefront left after the defeat of the NK, otherwise "bittersweet" will get an entirely different meaning.

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

We know that there are two very big battles: one is long enough and crazy enough that it took several months to shoot, and another is long enough that it will apparently span two episodes. That's not the whole of the season, but it is a very big chunk.

4 episodes is enough to let other characters to develop their story arcs.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, OhOkayWhat said:

4 episodes is enough to let other characters to develop their story arcs.

Three episodes, not four. 8x05 and 8x06 have a big battle sequence.

32 minutes ago, whateverdgaf said:

Sansa's conflict with LF ended last season. We have yet to see the extent of what all of Sansa's experiences have taught her ,what type of person Sansa has become, which Season 8 Sansa dealing with running  Winterfell would provide an opportunity to do so. LF was only a supporting player in Sansa's arc, her story does not end with him.

As Benjen would say, there’s noh time for that. S8 will deal with much weightier matters. The impending end of the world, for one.

Sansa’s only “job” in GOT was getting rid of LF. She did her job, she’s done.

Also, by the end of S7, we have a pretty good idea of the sort of person Sansa’s become. It’s not a particularly flattering portrait, true, since Sansa was never a particularly nice person to begin with and has been hardened by her experiences, but it’s sufficiently detailed for us to get a sense of the character.

16 minutes ago, OhOkayWhat said:

The point of the Blackwater scene is not that Sansa was not afraid. She was, probably much more than some of people there; but she acted calm in benefit of the rest. We saw the real potential of Sansa there. With the WW invasion I am pretty sure she will be really terrified, but we will see the realization of such potential in the middle of the chaos.

My point was that if there’s someone who’s going to be freaking out over the WWs and require comforting, it’s going to be Sansa, especially when you consider that those in the mix will be northern women, Dothraki women and wildlings, who are made of much sterner stuff than Sansa, as opposed to the sheltered southern ladies at the Red Keep.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GraceK said:

Next to Cersei, Sauron from LOTR comes off in a better light ?

What? So it was cowardly to have her son die peacefully in her arms and it was better to Payne chop his head off? She had Payne there specifically to murder Sansa. What are you even talking about? I’m not a fan of Cersei, but I personally would rather kill myself and my son painlessly with poison before I allow myself to gangraped and my son butchered.

Payne was there for everyone, per Cersei's own words.

As far as ganged raped, that wasn't Stannis way, he killed his own men who did it.

As far as Tommen yeah mercy as far as Cersei she was cowardly.

As I said MHO

17 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

There were big character moments in every GoT battle episodes. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Even big battles episodes contain long dialogue scenes.

14 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Sansa’s only “job” in GOT was getting rid of LF. She did her job, she’s done

Petyr was the secondary character in Sansa storyarc not the other way around

16 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

My point was that if there’s someone who’s going to be freaking out over the WWs and require comforting, it’s going to be Sansa,

We don't know yet. My point is her narrative tells me a different story.

18 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

especially when you consider that those in the mix will be northern women, Dothraki women and wildlings,

Most of them will be outside or in the walls of the castle fighting.

• Love 3

Mod Note:

• Once you've given your opinion on the 'Sansa will/will not play a pivotal role in S8' argument, continuing to base further statements on opinion in an attempt to demonstrate why you are right, only makes for a circular argument devoid of actual facts (aka S8 spoilers). 
  • Everyone here can read and make their own analysis of whether a poster is anti or pro any character. Stating outright that a fellow poster is anti or pro Sansa and thus implying that is why they hold a particular viewpoint, will only cause friction and does not validate an argument any more or less. For that reason, a few posts have been removed.

Please stop with the above.

• Love 3

D&D aren't going to waste characters like Sansa, Tyrion, Sam, Cersei, Varys and Davos because it's battle time and only Jon, Daenerys, Arya and Brienne get to shine. They've cast a lot of peasants for the next season so we'll possibly see some of the former interact with them and try to maintain order amongst the chaos. And knowing how much the showrunners love Lena, Peter and Liam, and how this is their last chance to score Emmy noms in the acting department for Peter and Lena, I'm sure we'll get lots of dialogue-heavy scenes. 

My thoughts exactly.  But the latter half of your statement is what I think will be the driving force of equitable screen time.   Kit, Emilia and pretty much all of the combat characters, are lacking in terms of charisma and pronounced talent.  

Lena, Peter and Conleth are pretty much the only one's that can hold anchor the show acting wise.  So I think we'll see Kit swinging swords (his best event), Dany shouting "Dracrys" (her best event), Maisie doing her "Kill robot" but we'll also see Tyrion, Cersei and Jaimie with a sizable amount of screen time themselves.  I'd bet money on it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Speaking of S8, here’s the tally of who’s done filming by character, courtesy of recent interviews, /BoatsexBaby and /Freefolk:

Done: Gendry, Gilly

Possibly still filming: Tyrion, Cersei, Gregor, Sandor (...unless Lena, Rory and Thor wrapped when everyone else was in Seville)

Still filming: Jon, Dany, Arya, Davos, Jaime, Brienne, Grey Worm

Unknown: Everyone else, I guess?

I do think Pod and Tormund’s actors are long gone. Pilou said he was finishing in June. Sophie’s a question mark, since she was only in Belfast for two days after Seville before leaving again and /BoatsexBaby didn’t mention her on the list of actors who are still filming or on the list of actors she thinks are done. I doubt Sophie would be in Belfast unless it was to film, though.

/BoatsexBaby also thinks that the last month of filming will be devoted to the KL battle (she described it as more of a siege) for the last two episodes.

Given the list of characters whose actors are still filming, this can give us a sense of who's involved in that battle (siege?). This also likely ties in to the night shoots in Seville (which remain unconfirmed), and whatever Kit and Jacob were filming together on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning in Seville.

What's not clear is whether Tyrion is with this Jon/Arya/Davos group in KL. It was rumoured that there were night shoots in Seville the first week everyone was there involving Liam and Peter, but there's been no confirmation Peter has been involved in the Belfast scenes filmed over the past several weeks before and after Seville with Kit, Liam and Maisie. With that said, it seems like NCW will be involved in the Belfast shoots for the next two weeks (since NCW wraps on June 8th according to a recent interview), so if Jaime is there with Jon, Arya and Davos, one would think that Tyrion wouldn't be far behind.

Maisie, John Bradley and David Benioff were at a UFC fight in Liverpool today. Maybe John's still filming, too...?

Folks in the /Freefolk comment section are claiming that Iain Glen, John Bradley and Sophie are also done. I don't know the source of their information, though. (Many assumed Sophie was done from her emotional tweet from Seville.)

Iain Glen's a tricky one, because he started filming a new project in April, but it was claimed that he filmed in Seville (even though no one managed to take a photograph of him). I suppose he could have finished filming in Seville, too.

Lena, Peter and Conleth are pretty much the only one's that can hold anchor the show acting wise.  So I think we'll see Kit swinging swords (his best event), Dany shouting "Dracrys" (her best event), Maisie doing her "Kill robot" but we'll also see Tyrion, Cersei and Jaimie with a sizable amount of screen time themselves.  I'd bet money on it.

No love for Iain? Dude's been propping up Emilia for most of the show.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, GrailKing said:

Payne was there for everyone, per Cersei's own words.

Per GRRM own words, he was specifically there for Sansa. He’s supposed to cut her head off if Stannis wins so Sansa doesn’t get freed in anyway. It’s on the blue ray commentary and Cersei tells Sansa that herself in that episode before the scene cuts. It’s Cersei being especially vindictive and evil if they lose. That’s all I’m gonna say on this because it’s wildly off topic.

( the motives behind Cersei having Illyn Payne cut her head off is my own reasoning. GRRM just said he was there specifically for Sansa if they lose)

Edited by GraceK
22 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Speaking of S8, here’s the tally of who’s done filming by character, courtesy of recent interviews, /BoatsexBaby and /Freefolk:

Done: Gendry, Gilly

Possibly still filming: Tyrion, Cersei, Gregor, Sandor (...unless Lena, Rory and Thor wrapped when everyone else was in Seville)

Still filming: Jon, Dany, Arya, Davos, Jaime, Brienne, Grey Worm

Unknown: Everyone else, I guess?

[...]

/BoatsexBaby also thinks that the last month of filming will be devoted to the KL battle (she described it as more of a siege) for the last two episodes.

This is why imo the most of the denouement scenes were filmed before, and not in Seville. I don't see Gilly not making it and sadly, I don't see Jaime making it.

At Con of Thrones, Joe said he became good friends with John Bradley so they probably filmed a lot at the same time. "Together" is another business, of course. He was friends with Jacob Anderson before and at one point I had the feeling that "working together" didn't mean only on the same show but maybe sharing scenes? I found his reaction to a Gendry/Arya romance question quite interesting *puts shipper goggles on* I feel he'd have been more relaxed if there was nothing to see there. *puts shipper goggles down*

Was Jerome Flynn seen anywhere? There's no indication Bronn left with Jaime, but if he did he had to fight in the WF battle. If he didn't, I can't see him not fighting in the KL battle. I hope he won't be killed off screen on Cersei's orders, since she wanted his head in S7.

• Love 1

Folks in the /Freefolk comment section are claiming that Iain Glen, John Bradley and Sophie are also done. I don't know the source of their information, though. (Many assumed Sophie was done from her emotional tweet from Seville.)

Well someone also said that Sophie and Emilia were doing more filming than many think, and both their story lines are kept tight.

So we may not have everything....... less then 12 months to goooooooo.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

This is why imo the most of the denouement scenes were filmed before, and not in Seville. I don't see Gilly not making it and sadly, I don't see Jaime making it.

At Con of Thrones, Joe said he became good friends with John Bradley so they probably filmed a lot at the same time. "Together" is another business, of course. He was friends with Jacob Anderson before and at one point I had the feeling that "working together" didn't mean only on the same show but maybe sharing scenes? I found his reaction to a Gendry/Arya romance question quite interesting *puts shipper goggles on* I feel he'd have been more relaxed if there was nothing to see there. *puts shipper goggles down*

Was Jerome Flynn seen anywhere? There's no indication Bronn left with Jaime, but if he did he had to fight in the WF battle. If he didn't, I can't see him not fighting in the KL battle. I hope he won't be killed off screen on Cersei's orders, since she wanted his head in S7.

No Jerome Flynn sightings for quite some time.

As for my denouement theory, there are two sets of KL exteriors for the last episode or episodes, the Dragonpit in Seville and the Belfast set. We also have two sets of characters participating and continuing to participate in the KL filming and the Seville day filming, as well as the set of characters /BoatsexBaby could confirm were involved in the KL battle:

Confirmed participants in KL battle: Jon, Dany, Arya, Bran, Mel, Brienne, and Jaime

Confirmed KL Belfast exteriors: Jon, Dany, Arya, and Jaime, but not Gendry or Sansa

Confirmed Seville day shoots: Tyrion, Sansa, Robin, Brienne, Gendry, Arya, Davos, and Sam, but not Jon, Jaime, or Dany

So we know that there’s KL battle stuff with Jaime and Brienne, and that there’s a lot of KL exterior stuff with Jon, Davos and Arya. However, there’s another scene or set of scenes at the Dragonpit which also features Davos, Arya and Brienne, but not Jaime or Jon. So which bit comes first?

If the Dragonpit stuff comes in sequence after the KL exteriors being shot now and over the next little while, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s denouement, since it could be a desperate last stand against the AOTD after Jaime and others die fighting them, but it’s looking a lot more likely, especially if Arya and Brienne are separated from Jon and Jaime (respectively) in the Dragonpit scenes.

So if the Arya/Sam/Gendry/Davos stuff and the Brienne/Sansa/Tyrion/Robin stuff are all from the same time frame, then it seems to me as if the chronological order in the show is as follows:

Jon/Arya/Davos in KL --> Arya/Sam/Gendry/Davos at the Dragonpit

Jaime/Brienne fighting in KL --> Jaime dies in Brienne's arms --> Brienne/Tyrion/Robin/Sansa at the Dragonpit

13 hours ago, GrailKing said:

Well someone also said that Sophie and Emilia were doing more filming than many think

Yes, I saw that, but sadly for that particular fake leaker, Emilia and Sophie’s whereabouts at any given time are well known thanks to their fans, and they can’t claim they’re in two places at once, so the claim that they’ve been doing “more filming than many think” is demonstrably untrue.

ETA: Just saw that Thor (Gregor) said he'd be busy filming next month:

"Fans are desperate for them to have a square go in a hotly anticipated “Cleganbowl”. Thor said: “Rory and I are actually very friendly. "I like him a lot. "I cannot go into details about whether our characters will fight because I'm busy filming next month and I’m not allowed to talk about it. "They make you sign a contract."

Cleganebowl get hype!

Emilia's still in NYC. Apparently the dragonback scenes were the last thing she filmed for S7, so maybe she's coming back for dragonback filming.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)

To give it a clean post, here's an updated count of who's finished and who isn't based on new information:

Done: Gendry, Gilly, Sansa

Possibly still filming: Sandor, Cersei (I think Lena said a while ago she was finishing in June?)

Still filming: Jon, Dany, Arya, Davos, Jaime, Brienne, Grey Worm, Gregor (Thor said he'd be busy filming next month), Tyrion (Peter was spotted yesterday in Belfast)

Apparently Joe and a few others went to Belfast after Seville even though they had finished filming, so it seems likely that Sophie is done after all, too, despite her appearance in Belfast after finishing up in Seville, which makes sense given her emotional tweet. Also, Sophie didn't go out to dinner with Kit, Maisie, Peter, and the others on the last Tuesday night in Seville, which would make sense if she was overwhelmed with filming her last day (and if the other actors were continuing to film).

I wonder who else finished on that Tuesday, since Joe mentioned that there were a few other actors. Taking into account the ones who are still known to be filming, and I guess that leaves Sophie and probably Lino (Robin).

Going back to my earlier chronology, there are three separate sets of scenes in KL with several overlapping characters:

1. KL Belfast Set Exteriors: Jon, Arya, Davos, Tyrion, Jaime, Brienne, and Dany if Emilia is filming KL stuff and not dragonback studio scenes, but not Gendry or Sansa

2. Dragonpit at night: Jon, Grey Worm, Davos, Tyrion, possibly others such as Jaime

3. Dragonpit/Italica day: Arya, Davos, Gendry, Sam, Sansa, Robin, Tyrion, and Brienne, but not Jon or Jaime

It seems likely that if Thor is busy filming in June that Lena will be busy as well, since wherever Cersei is the Mountain isn't far behind.

Since the cast roster of those filming the KL scenes seems to be pretty much anyone on Team Jon/Dany who can fight, I'm surprised Gendry isn't involved in those scenes. Maybe he's off forging Valyrian steel weapons or whatever.

Sam and Bran remain question marks. I'd hazard a guess that John hanging out with Maisie and David Benioff in Liverpool means that he's still filming after all. /BoatsexBaby said that Bran was involved in the KL battle (siege?), but Isaac may have already filmed his scenes.

...We'll really know it's over when Kit cuts his hair, heh.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, nikma said:

I think he will look even better with short hair.

Maybe the last scene of GOT will have Jon ascending the throne but with short hair. Bittersweet.

I've noticed in GOT that they seem to keep changing the main characters' hairstyles, I guess to signal the evolution of the character or something. That's why NCW is rocking a beard again and Peter Dinklage shaved off part of his beard for S8. I'm guessing that's also why Jon seems to have ditched the manbun if the Croatia pics are any indication.

I forgot to mention it in the previous post, but some other tidbits:

1. Pilou also said he was filming until June, so he's probably filming as well.

2. The Maisie superfan over at /Freefolk (/DutchArya) said that Maisie's stunt double (Kristina Baskett) is flying her husband to see her in Belfast, so I'm guessing Maisie's not done with action scenes yet.

3. The mercenary mentioned in the casting call in WOTW in the fall was supposed to be filming in May and June.

4. Tommy Dunne (weapons master on GOT) said that Maisie and NCW are the best fighters, and that Rory started out with two left feet, and now he's down to one.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I guess to signal the evolution of the character or something.

It is. That's why Cersei has short hair now, or why Sansa had "badass" braid in S6 and so on.  Or Bran's short hair just before he became 3ER.

4. Tommy Dunne (weapons master on GOT) said that Maisie and NCW are the best fighters, and that Rory started out with two left feet, and now he's down to one.

Maisie is a dancer, so it doesn't surprise me. She must have good coordination.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Is there any reason to consider it (as good as) "confirmed" that 8x06 has a big battle sequence, AFAIK, this is based on claims from "/boatsexbaby". Why is this source considered to be so trustworthy? Are there other sources pointing in the same direction?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wouter said:

Is there any reason to consider it (as good as) "confirmed" that 8x06 has a big battle sequence, AFAIK, this is based on claims from "/boatsexbaby". Why is this source considered to be so trustworthy? Are there other sources pointing in the same direction?

She has confirmed info from an inside source, probably one of the stand-ins or crew. /BoatsexBaby posted the photos of the stand-ins taken from inside the vehicle  they were using to leave the set. 

Can’t blame you for being suspicious, but /BoatsexBaby has the goods.

I woudn't be surprised if we have battle scenes in E6 as well. Last episode of the season being just the epilogue was something D&D abandoned after S3. 

I know they never directed a major battle scene, but neither did Sapochnik before Hardhome or Matt Shakma before Loot Train Attack. 

3 hours ago, nikma said:

Lads mentioned that scene in his leaks. Why did they cut it? Spoils S8?

Maybe! I always wondered why D&D chose Melisandre, as the one to bring Jon and Dany together. What are her real intentions? In the old season 7 outline, she says they, jon and dany, need to create something.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Edith said:

I always wondered why D&D chose Melisandre, as the one to bring Jon and Dany together.

Because she was the only one in the south with the knowledge of what's going on and she has her visions that she misinterprets all the time. 

But with regard to Gilly and her baby, I've always wondered if her crossing the Wall with that child hasn't weakened the magic in some way. 

5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Because she was the only one in the south with the knowledge of what's going on and she has her visions that she misinterprets all the time. 

Could be or maybe there’s more. After Hodor, I think the 3er holy shit moment that happens toward the end is a sacrifice too, so when I read the “they need to create something” made me wonder. 

15 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

But with regard to Gilly and her baby, I've always wondered if her crossing the Wall with that child hasn't weakened the magic in some way

Interesting, but there hasn't been any mention or clues throughout the past seasons.

41 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

But with regard to Gilly and her baby, I've always wondered if her crossing the Wall with that child hasn't weakened the magic in some way. 

I don’t see why it would.  The baby doesn’t have any connection to the White Walkers.

1 hour ago, Edith said:

Interesting, but there hasn't been any mention or clues throughout the past seasons.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the show. I was thinking about the books. Never mind what I said.

Looks like Sophie isn't filming this week, either; she participated in a Louis Vuitton fashion show in France yesterday. It's looking increasingly likely that Sophie is done filming.

So who is filming this week? Kit, Liam, NCW, Maisie, and Peter, I think, based on sightings and interviews. Based purely on speculation, I'd hazard a guess that John is there, too, since he was in Liverpool with David Benioff and Maisie Williams this weekend. Gwen seems likely, too, since whenever NCW has been filming this year, Gwen hasn't been far behind.

I wonder where Dany is while all this KL stuff with Jon, Arya, Davos, etc. is taking place. On Drogon fighting the NK? In labour somewhere?

On 5/28/2018 at 9:30 AM, Eyes High said:

Maybe the last scene of GOT will have Jon ascending the throne but with short hair. Bittersweet.

I've noticed in GOT that they seem to keep changing the main characters' hairstyles, I guess to signal the evolution of the character or something. That's why NCW is rocking a beard again and Peter Dinklage shaved off part of his beard for S8. I'm guessing that's also why Jon seems to have ditched the manbun if the Croatia pics are any indication.

I forgot to mention it in the previous post, but some other tidbits:

1. Pilou also said he was filming until June, so he's probably filming as well.

2. The Maisie superfan over at /Freefolk (/DutchArya) said that Maisie's stunt double (Kristina Baskett) is flying her husband to see her in Belfast, so I'm guessing Maisie's not done with action scenes yet.

3. The mercenary mentioned in the casting call in WOTW in the fall was supposed to be filming in May and June.

Weird since I've heard NCW is one of the worst fighters and Kit's one of the best

Is it possible Kit and Emilia’s last scene together was the stuff in Iceland?

i have had a crazy tinfoil theory that Jon is gonna end up as the new NK. I know it sounds ridiculous but what if  that’s the fulfillment of the “ Prince that was promised?”. What if in order to kill the NK he has to take his place? It would completely fit Jon’s whole sacrificial nature.  Just a thought. I’m ready to be shot down in flames ? 

• Love 2
(edited)

I just don't see how they can realistically make any pact with the WW. From 7 seasons we saw, it just doesn't seem like they want any kind of agreement with humans. 

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, GraceK said:

i have had a crazy tinfoil theory that Jon is gonna end up as the new NK. I know it sounds ridiculous but what if  that’s the fulfillment of the “ Prince that was promised?”. What if in order to kill the NK he has to take his place? It would completely fit Jon’s whole sacrificial nature.  Just a thought. I’m ready to be shot down in flames ? 

The thing is, the NK isn't born naturally. He's an abomination created for war, by a certain species, in order to wipe off another species; and escaped to their control. He isn't part of the circle of life, of the balance in the universe, he's the one who breaks that balance.

If he were part of the order of things, then it would be a very possible option. But since Nature didn't create the NK, then it doesn't need a NK and there's no need either for any character (Jon, Bran, Dany, etc.) to take his place.

In Bran's vision in 6x05, before the NK grabs him, there's almost hidden behind some clouds the same mountain as the Hound saw in his vision; and there were also the stones where the NK was created. I wouldn't exclude another trip beyond the Wall (RIP), on dragon's back, while the NK is occupied elsewhere. 

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

The thing is, the NK isn't born naturally. He's an abomination created for war, by a certain species, in order to wipe off another species; and escaped to their control. He isn't part of the circle of life, of the balance in the universe, he's the one who breaks that balance.

If he were part of the order of things, then it would be a very possible option. But since Nature didn't create the NK, then it doesn't need a NK and there's no need either for any character (Jon, Bran, Dany, etc.) to take his place.

In Bran's vision in 6x05, before the NK grabs him, there's almost hidden behind some clouds the same mountain as the Hound saw in his vision; and there were also the stones where the NK was created. I wouldn't exclude another trip beyond the Wall (RIP), on dragon's back, while the NK is occupied elsewhere. 

All good points. Like I said, Tinfoil ?. I honestly cannot wait for season eight this is driving me bananas!!’

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, GraceK said:

Is it possible Kit and Emilia’s last scene together was the stuff in Iceland?

/BoatsexBaby said that Nutter’s crew went to Iceland, so it depends on whether or not you think she’s a reliable source of information. Iceland could be doubling for a secluded Northern location, not necessarily one beyond the Wall. I have to admit it seems odd to me that Jon and Dany would take off by themselves with a war going on. I wonder if this has something to do with the “weird shit” Emilia was talking about.

I dunno about Jon becoming the new NK, especially with the show establishing that killing a wight creator will kill their wights, but some sort of ending where he heads off by himself is not the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. There are a few possible hints in the books and the show that Jon is going to live a long, miserable life, so maybe that’s the form it takes. 

The show implied with Bran’s glimpse of the creation of the NK that the area beyond the Wall was once green. I wonder if with the defeat of the NK that area will become green again.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, GraceK said:

All good points. Like I said, Tinfoil ?. I honestly cannot wait for season eight this is driving me bananas!!’

It drives us all crazy. I'm flip-flopping there and back again, to my personal crackpot theory, Jaqen is Rhaegar. LOL.

(edited)

In light of recent information about Seville and other tidbits, I'm very slowly coming around to the idea that Tyrion and Sansa may end up together after all.

The bottom line is that Tyrion/Sansa is turned up to 11 in the show compared to the books. I put together this list in the Endgame thread of show-only material, all things which were not in the books which D&D added:

1. Tyrion randomly being inserted into Sandor and Sansa's serpentine steps deleted scene (2x03).

2. Tyrion offering his hand to Sansa to help her stand and Sansa taking it (2x04).

3. Tyrion freaking out and saying "Where's Sansa?" when he sees the High Septon torn limb from limb (2x06).

4. Sansa getting sassy with Tyrion by implying she's wishing for his death and Tyrion smiling in response (2x09).

5. Shae getting jealous over Tyrion's attraction to Sansa on multiple occasions (3x02, 4x01, 4x07).

6. Romcom weirdness with Sansa/Margaery and Tyrion/Bronn (3x07).

7. Tyrion promises never to hurt Sansa (3x08). 

8. Being friendly before news of the Red Wedding hits (3x10).

9. Tyrion trying to comfort Sansa and Sansa confiding to him about her nightmares (4x01).

10. Talking to each other at Joffrey and Margaery's wedding ("We have a new queen"/"Better her than you") (4x02).

11. Tyrion taking Sansa's hand during the Robb portion of the dwarf play (4x02).

12. Sansa retrieving the cup where it rolled under the table so that Tyrion doesn't have to crawl (4x02).

13. Tyrion and Sansa both denying the other was responsible for Joffrey's murder (with Sansa being able to give no reason for knowing that Tyrion didn't do it other than "I just do") (4x04).

14. Sansa insisting that Tyrion didn't want to marry her (4x05).

In addition to this list, the show unlike the books is weirdly insistent as to Tyrion remaining celibate after their marriage:

1. When Book Sansa asks Tyrion what if she never wants him, Tyrion basically says "LOL that's what whores are for." In the show, Tyrion says "And so my watch begins."

2. Book Tyrion sleeps with Shae after he marries Sansa (several times if I recall correctly), while TV Tyrion keeps putting Shae off. although admittedly it's not explicitly clear that he never slept with Shae after his wedding to Sansa. They argue about it in 4x01: "It's not a good time." "It's never a good time."

3. Book Shae at Tyrion's trial says she was banging Tyrion all the time he was in KL. TV Shae accuses Tyrion at his trial of losing interest in her after his marriage to Sansa.

4. TV Tyrion actually turns down an offer from a prostitute in Season 5 at a brothel, although he can't explain why.

Now I don't know why it's so incredibly important that Tyrion remain celibate, especially since the show unlike the books had Sansa get remarried, but I suspect it has a lot to do with the optics of Tyrion banging anything that moves while TV Sansa gets stuck with Book Jeyne's storyline. Of course, that would only matter if D&D knew that Tyrion and Sansa were going to end up together.

As I said in the Endgame thread, Sansa and Tyrion's TV arcs go off the rails after Season 4, so there's not much that seems significant one way or another, although of course Sansa does praise Tyrion's kindness and gentleness when she's hoping to shame Ramsay into not raping her in 5x06, and she does mention that Tyrion was always kind to her in 7x02, even if she won't go so far as to say that in front of a hall full of Lannister-hating Northern lords. Tyrion doesn't mention Sansa once between 4x06 and 7x03, although he does almost immediately bring her up to Jon when they meet, so there's that. Compare this to Gendry and the Hound, who never once mention or ask about Arya or Sansa (respectively) when they meet Jon.

So now that I've gotten all the pre-S8 stuff out of the way, there are some S8 info and rumours floating around that would seem to be consistent with this outcome as well:

1. Peter and Sophie's filming dates have overlapped quite a bit. That doesn't necessarily mean anything shippy, since Kit and Maisie have been filming a lot together and it seems unlikely that Jon and Arya end up together, but one would expect them to be filming together in S8 if Tyrion and Sansa are going to be a thing.

2. A very late-season scene was filmed at Italica with Tyrion and Sansa stand-ins (along with Brienne and Robin's stand-ins, to be fair). Because this scene was filmed during the day, I suspect it's a scene from after the war, because they wouldn't have actors wearing winter cloaks and furs in Seville spring day temperatures. 

3. Hannah Murray in a recent interview when asked about which couples she ships said that in addition to preferring Jaime/Brienne over Tormund/Brienne, she's a fan of Tyrion and Sansa. Maybe she's just picking up the vibes the show has been putting down for several seasons now, or maybe she knows something we don't...? Hannah Murray was filming the same week as Peter and Sophie back in January.

4. Sophie Turner made a comment in an interview a while ago about lots of new relationships forming this season. She may not have been talking about her own character, of course, but it wouldn't be the first time Sophie did an interview that gave away part of her storyline.

5. /KaySen762 back when she was modding /Freefolk was told by someone claiming to have leaks that Peter and Sophie filmed a scene together on a closed set. (I don't put much weight on this, with /Freefolk "leaks" being mostly bullshit, but for the sake of completeness, there it is.)

Also, strictly from a meta perspective, I have trouble believing that D&D would put TV Sansa through Book Jeyne's storyline unless they ultimately planned on giving her a happyish romantic ending. That doesn't necessarily mean Tyrion, of course, but he seems like the most likely candidate in light of the show.

I'd also argue that there are hints in the books that Tyrion and Sansa will end up together, even as hideous and terrible as Book Tyrion is, and even as they seem dwarfed (no pun intended) by SanSan in the books, but that's a whole other post.

...The counterargument here, of course, is twofold:

1. The S7 outlines explicitly indicate that Tyrion has a big crush on Dany (and I'm guessing that Peter Dinklage was told to play Tyrion that way, judging from a comment he made in a pre-S7 interview that Tyrion is smitten with his boss), and I'm not sure why the show would bother with Tyrion having a crush on Dany if D&D ultimately planned to have him end up with Sansa. Bronn in the 7x07 outline immediately picks up on Tyrion's infatuation with Dany and warns him that a girl like that "is not manageable," so we'll see where it goes in S8.

2. Sandor is still alive in the show, and in the books SanSan is definitely a thing, so it's still theoretically possible that something happens on that front, even though I think it's unlikely. The show has downplayed Sandor's obsession with Sansa in favour of his (far less creepy) affection for Arya, but the writers could turn it around in a few episodes if they needed to; Sandor is likely heading north with everyone else, so one way or another a SanSan reunion is in the cards. With that said, it's not clear whether or not D&D even know what GRRM is planning to do with Sandor after AFFC. There's a quote from the DVD commentary for 6x07 where Cogman appears to imply that they don't know, which would mean (given that GRRM told them Sansa's ending) that whatever Sansa's ending in the books is, Sandor isn't a part of it. Furthermore, Rory was not in Seville for the late-season Italica scene shot with Sophie Turner, even though Gwen was there. That doesn't necessarily mean that Sandor dies during Cleganebowl or whatever, but it's not a good sign.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4
(edited)

This is so weird and probably the last place in the world D&D or GRRM are drawing from for inspiration, but Book Sansa's obsession with courtly love and songs have occasionally struck a note of Maryann Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility with me.  So given that ...

Spoiler

... Sanrion would be a very suitably Austenesque end game for her.  Arya as 'Sense' (Elinor) is not too far off the mark either, and iirc Colonel Brandon was a world weary older man who had once been in love with a loose woman, not unlike Tyrion.  

Edited by TarotQueen
  • Love 1