Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

I don't see Jon dying because he's already died once, so who cares if he dies again? I'm still not certain that the show writers ever made me care that Jon died and came back. 

I think Jaime and Cersei are both dead meat. I could see Jaime dying in some kind of heroic or redemptive manner. His sins are bad enough that he shouldn't live but he can still have a good death. 

Not sure about Sansa, Arya and Tyrion. Honestly I think all three live. But I'm probably wrong. 

Edited by Minneapple
6 hours ago, GrailKing said:

Is that the one where Tyrion and Sansa betray Jon and Danerys?

Yes.

/Frikidoctor has made it sound as if we're going to get a video next week where he delivers the spoilery goods (if indeed these are spoilers and not just another of his theories), so either way we'll know soon enough.

I do think that GRRM gave away that Tyrion, Arya and Jon will be surviving ASoIaF. He has had the endgames of these characters for some 20 plus years and if they were going to end the series dead, I don't think their names would be the first to pop up in his mind.

Good point, and if this is true, that would mean that Frikidoctor must be wrong, since in no scenario he presented do both Jon and Tyrion survive.

Edited by Eyes High

Personally, I'm expecting a different ending from D&D because of the way they have gone about writing the show. There is no mention of breaking the wheel in the books. Dany tries to break the wheel in Slaver's Bay, but she also becomes queen of Meereen by right of conquest. The more the books are brought up to support something, the more I see the ending completely deviating.  

At this point, I don't even think the books should be brought into the conversation to support anything for season 8. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

There is no mention of breaking the wheel in the books. Dany tries to break the wheel in Slaver's Bay, but she also becomes queen of Meereen by right of conquest.

"Breaking the wheel" is just another "Usurpers dogs" line because she hates Lannisters and Starks. Essentially, book and show, she was ranting about all these families playing games with HER family's chair. If folks want Dany to do this, it also includes destroying the Starks. Which is why I think she will turn on them in S8.

In breaking the wheel she is also returning Westeros back to the way it was for 300 years. Its not supposed to make sense. Its Dany being hypocritical and contradictory just like she is in the books. 

• Love 1

Frikidoctor is promising a video with endgame spoilers tomorrow (well, 2am Spain local time).

/Enty23, who knows what he’s going to say, said on /Freefolk that it’s shocking, truly unexpected and will break the sub. 

This is it, folks. Prepare yourselves.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Frikidoctor is promising a video with endgame spoilers tomorrow (well, 2am Spain local time).

/Enty23, who knows what he’s going to say, said on /Freefolk that it’s shocking, truly unexpected and will break the sub. 

This is it, folks. Prepare yourselves.

So one of the original 5 is goint to die?! Ha! I knew it! No way an editorial would published the original outline if spilled the ending! 

If Enty23 is surprised about the ending then I guess is not #2. I wonder if the shocking part of Jon/Tyrion dying is the person who does it. Jon dying fighting the NK is not shocking. Tyrion dying by either Jon and/or Dany hand after betraying them is what freefolk has been expecting since the end of season 7.

• Love 1

Well, crap, now I’m afraid Jon really is going to die. And if that’s the case, I don’t actually want to watch Season 8. But if it’s not the case, it’ll probably be a more enjoyable viewing experience if this huge twist isn’t spoiled. I’m so toooooorrrrn.

Also, if Jon dies by some sort of shocking betrayal again, I’m going to lose it and hate this show forever. (Yes, Jon is obviously my favorite character, haha.)

Edited by Leila6
  • Love 3

Peter Dinklage did an interview with EW where he talks about Tyrion’s romantic feelings for Dany, so maybe we are looking at Jonerys ruling/dead Tyrion after all...? On the other hand, he said Tyrion was smitten with Dany in a pre-S7 interview, so we’ll see whether it amounts to anything.

1 hour ago, nikma said:

He said it will be spoiler?

Yes. This is not a drill.

Honestly, the only ending of the four—NK wins, Jonerys win while Tyrion dies, Dany wins while Jon dies, and Tyrion wins while Jonerys die—that would really shock me is the NK winning. Still, Enty23 (whom Friki told the ending) seems to think it’s incredibly shocking, so maybe it has more to do with the HOW of the ending rather than the WHAT, if that makes any sense. Like, I won’t be shocked if Jonerys live and Tyrion dies, but if Tyrion dies because a Faceless Man kills him just when he thinks he’s safe from Cersei, that would shock me.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, nikma said:

There is not option for this. He didn't give an option where they live.

Yes, he did. These are the options:

1.  NK wins

2. Jon and Dany win, Tyrion dies

3. Dany wins, Tyrion lives, Jon dies

4. Tyrion wins, Jon dies, Dany dies

I feel like it's the Jon dies option tbh since they keep saying it's surprising and the sub won't like it.Mostly cause as many near deaths and the one actual death he's had,I don't think many people at the freefolk sub expect it.My impression is that the discussion is always more on Dany dying than Jon.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Colorful Mess said:

"Breaking the wheel" is just another "Usurpers dogs" line because she hates Lannisters and Starks. Essentially, book and show, she was ranting about all these families playing games with HER family's chair. If folks want Dany to do this, it also includes destroying the Starks. Which is why I think she will turn on them in S8.

Dany must do something shocking in S8.  Emilia's reaction to the ending and how she hinted that Dany's actions might leave a bad taste in the mouth of fans (I'm paraphrasing here) is a strong hint for this.  My concern is that Dany's 'betrayal for love' might actually be her own betrayal of Jon and/or everyone else. 

I guess I need to double up on my anxiety meds for this reveal...

51 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

I feel like it's the Jon dies option tbh since they keep saying it's surprising and the sub won't like it.Mostly cause as many near deaths and the one actual death he's had,I don't think many people at the freefolk sub expect it.My impression is that the discussion is always more on Dany dying than Jon.

I agree. Nor do I don't think Dany or Tyrion's death would break the /Freefolk sub (particularly since "Tyrion betrays Jonerys and dies" has been a favourite theory of the sub for months). Endgame Jonsa certainly would break the sub, but Friki ruled that out. With that said, would Jon's death really be all that shocking and unexpected? The man's literally a dead man walking!

Having to pick which one of Jon/Dany/Tyrion they hope will die (when what seems to be the most popular choice, Dany dying while Jon lives, isn't an option) is the perfect Sophie's Choice for fandom. Coming up with that T-shirt design was downright cruel on Friki's part. At least he's going to put an end to fans' suffering pretty soon (very early Saturday morning on Spain local time, I think). Friki certainly has drummed up the hype, though. Respect.

Even though it's been a virtual desert for leaks this year, I don't know if I'm ready for capital-l Leaks, especially knowing that either Jon (#3, #4) or Tyrion (#2) are pretty much guaranteed to die:

Me before Friki's announcement: I WANT SPOILERS GIMME THE SPOILERS WHERE ARE THE SPOILERSSSSSS

Me after Friki's video drops, probably: DEAR GOD I TAKE IT BACK I WASN'T READY I WISH I COULD UNWATCH IT NOOOOOOO

Here's the EW interview with Peter Dinklage, or at least the GOT portion where he talks about Tyrion's ambiguous look at the end of 7x07 (he's promoting My Dinner with Herve):

“No, ah, it’s complicated…” Dinklage says. “A lot of the time with Tyrion, it’s professional and personal. Obviously, he has feelings for Daenerys. He loves her — or thinks he does. She’s awe-inspiring. He’s questioning that because he doesn’t have a good track record for falling in love. There’s jealousy wrapped up in there. And he loves Jon Snow, too. They’re the two people he has the most in common with, in a way — they’re both outsiders in their own families who have refused to follow the path their family has taken, and hopefully for the better. He’s wondering how smart of a move [Jon and Dany getting romantically involved is], because passion and politics don’t mix well. He knows the two of them getting together could be very dangerous.”

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I just remembered that two months or so ago he didn't want his "spoiler" videos linked on Freefolk anymore because people didn't believe them -rightfully, in some cases- and now he has spoilers that Freefolk won't like. Hmm.

Too many people used fleaks to have their pathetic fifteen minutes of internet fame.

He might really have something but the more he hypes it, the less I'm prone to believe him. 

Edited by Happy Harpy
57 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

Dany dying, Sansa betrays everyone and dying, Arya kills either one.

Dany dying wouldn't upset me, as I'm still on the fence as long as her WMD exist.

The other two will bum me to no end.

I am taking a very different stance and concluding that the shocking ending is King Jaime and Queen Brienne's ascensions to the throne.

Honestly thought, so many seem to believe Jaime's death is a foregone conclusion, and Nik is so happy, I am allowing myself to hope as I have never dared hope before. Although all this time of keeping my expectations low I think I will be content with just a few good scenes (declaring their love, being heroes, Jaime grovelling for no one).

8 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Dany dying, Sansa betrays everyone and dying, Arya kills either one.

Dany dying wouldn't upset me, as I'm still on the fence as long as her WMD exist.

The other two will bum me to no end.

Assuming we do get endgame information from Friki on Saturday, I don't think we're going to get any endgame information on anyone other than Jon/Dany/Tyrion, except by extension (Jonsa won't be a thing) or as it relates to who ends up on the Iron Throne (Gendry won't be king).

2 minutes ago, nikma said:

Fans on free folk are saying that it will happen in next 10 hours.

They're mistaken, according to Kaysen762, who just asked Friki on Twitter and was told 30 hours.

I mean, we've waited a year since Season 7 ended for leaks. 30 more hours is nothing.

14 hours ago, anamika said:

I do think that GRRM gave away that Tyrion, Arya and Jon will be surviving ASoIaF. He has had the endgames of these characters for some 20 plus years and if they were going to end the series dead, I don't think their names would be the first to pop up in his mind.

That I don't believe.  GRRM has been giving interviews for decades; he knows how to withhold information when he wants to.  He just reeled off three examples of a main character.

This may seem like hair splitting, because I don't actually disagree at all with the idea that all three of those characters have a high likelihood of surviving (Arya and Tyrion, especially, I would say I'm pretty much certain will survive), but I think there's a tendency to try to read too much into many of the creators'/actors' statements.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, onyxrose81 said:

He’s my fave character but I’ve made my peace with Jon dying. I hope it ends with royal baby ruling with Dany as regent and Tyrion nowhere near a throne.  That would be unbearable to me.  

Well if Friki is right then it's either Dany ruling with Tyrion as Hand.

Tyrion ruling over Jon and Dany's corpses. 

The NK winning.

Or Tyrion dead with Jon and Dany together.

If Friki knows the ending, why the suspense? This is the last season so he has nothing to lose by spinning his speculation as a spoiler/leak. And how does he know the ending now? Eh, I am skeptical.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

GRRM’s original outline had Jon/Arya falling in love, and Tyrion having some kind of deadly rivalry with Jon due to an unrequited crush on Arya right? Maybe GRRM did just decide to replace Arya with Dany when he realised the time jump wouldn’t work lol?

I guess it’s possible that Tyrion’s betrayal isn’t so much trying to keep Dany off the throne, but trying to get her on it and dispose of Jon at the same time.

Maybe Tyrion tries to fan the flames of discord when they get North, but that fizzles out when Winterfell is attacked and Dany and her dragons throw a big assist with their firepower? Maybe he also tries to convince Dany to ditch Jon when the parentage bomb drops but that doesn’t work either? Maybe then he decides that the only hope he has is for Jon to die, so he tries to orchestrate this during / after the final battle?

If Tyrion was going to be involved in a betrayal and does end up dead, I would question why D&D have whitewashed him so much though. Perhaps they thought it would be better as a “shocking” reveal for the final season.

34 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

If Friki knows the ending, why the suspense? This is the last season so he has nothing to lose by spinning his speculation as a spoiler/leak. And how does he know the ending now? Eh, I am skeptical.

He never lied. If he says he knows the ending, I think at least he thinks he knows. 

13 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

If Tyrion was going to be involved in a betrayal and does end up dead, I would question why D&D have whitewashed him so much though. Perhaps they thought it would be better as a “shocking” reveal for the final season

For now, only option where Tyrion's betrayal makes sense in the show is if he is somehow forced to choose between Dany and Jaime. I think it would make complete sense that he would choose Jaime. It was completely clear even in S7 that he is very conflicted and that going to war against your own family is not easy at all.

17 minutes ago, GraceK said:

http://watchersonthewall.com/nikolaj-coster-waldau-spoiler-game-of-thrones-season-8/

?

Just four episodes for Jaime Lannister!  Doesn’t this line up with earlier spoilers about him dying in episode 4? In Briennes arms?

leaves a lot of speculation open, but at least we have something concrete to work with!! ?

Well it doesn't say first 4 episodes. I think he either skips episode 1 and dies in E5, or he skips first two episodes and has a surprise entrance during battle for WF in E3.

But I'm sure he won't appear in E1 since there are a lot of unions and reunions that neef to happen in WF. There is no time for him in E1.

• Love 1

If Jon is going to die in E6, it makes sense that they would kill Jaime and Cersei in E5.

And if BoatsexBaby is legit battle/action in KL will happen in both E5 and E6. It makes sense that E5 will be humans vs humans where Cersei and Euron will finnaly die, and then big deaths in E6 will be Jon and Night King, with some minor characters maybe. And then epilogue as well.

32 minutes ago, GraceK said:

http://watchersonthewall.com/nikolaj-coster-waldau-spoiler-game-of-thrones-season-8/

?

Just four episodes for Jaime Lannister!  Doesn’t this line up with earlier spoilers about him dying in episode 4? In Briennes arms?

leaves a lot of speculation open, but at least we have something concrete to work with!! ?

Suddenly, WOTW has info. What a timing, LOL. This makes me more prone to believe that Frikidoctor's reveal is legit.

15 minutes ago, nikma said:

Yes, but she said she knows the spoiler and it not something small.

Precise words: "it isn't that little"; and also,  it's "good info".

Thing is, they didn't say "will" narrow down, they said "may" narrow down. It implies subjectivity + several possibilities + a leeway for interpretation.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Suddenly, WOTW has info. What a timing, LOL.

It isn’t WOTW’s own sources, though.  It’s from an entertainment news article about a recently-disclosed legal settlement.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Suddenly, WOTW has info. What a timing, LOL. This makes me more prone to believe that Frikidoctor's reveal is legit.

Don’t read into that. Their info came from the Hollywood Reporter.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, nikma said:

After 12 months of nothing I think it is more than enough. Lol

Indeed :)) Yet I'm afraid that it'll only open new cans of worms instead of giving a first closure to some speculations.

27 minutes ago, SeanC said:

It isn’t WOTW’s own sources, though.  It’s from an entertainment news article about a recently-disclosed legal settlement.

27 minutes ago, Leila6 said:

Don’t read into that. Their info came from the Hollywood Reporter.

Thank you both. I imagined that with a title like that they reported their own inside info, silly me! So indeed, no reading into that.

Edited by Happy Harpy
6 hours ago, SeanC said:

That I don't believe.  GRRM has been giving interviews for decades; he knows how to withhold information when he wants to.  He just reeled off three examples of a main character.

This may seem like hair splitting, because I don't actually disagree at all with the idea that all three of those characters have a high likelihood of surviving (Arya and Tyrion, especially, I would say I'm pretty much certain will survive), but I think there's a tendency to try to read too much into many of the creators'/actors' statements.

GRRM is also now nearly 70. The reason people think he gave out some spoilers here is because of the way he said it. The interviewer points out that he noticed what GRRM just said and there is a long pause and then GRRM moves on to the next sentence ignoring that comment. Saying that we will not be seeing the 'further' adventures of these characters because they are not sequels but prequels makes me think that he did slip and let out that these three are going to make it. There was no deep thinking when he was talking there, just a nonchalant statement he was making about how it would not be about the future adventures of these characters. Of course, it's up to people if they want to believe this or not. 

14 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Personally, I'm expecting a different ending from D&D because of the way they have gone about writing the show. There is no mention of breaking the wheel in the books. Dany tries to break the wheel in Slaver's Bay, but she also becomes queen of Meereen by right of conquest. The more the books are brought up to support something, the more I see the ending completely deviating.  

At this point, I don't even think the books should be brought into the conversation to support anything for season 8. 

GRRM did mention quite a bit about how the show and the books were now very different and two different versions and how D&D were doing a lot of things very differently. So you maybe right and we may get a totally different ending there.

8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Here's the EW interview with Peter Dinklage, or at least the GOT portion where he talks about Tyrion's ambiguous look at the end of 7x07 (he's promoting My Dinner with Herve):

So basically he's confirmed that Tyrion is in love with Dany. There's jealousy involved. He talks about Tyrion's track record of falling in love with women  - in the books this makes him bitter. It also seems that the show will try to justify Tyrion's betrayal, if there is any, by using this logic:

“[Tyrion] loves Jon Snow, too. They’re the two people he has the most in common with, in a way — they’re both outsiders in their own families who have refused to follow the path their family has taken, and hopefully for the better. He’s wondering how smart of a move [Jon and Dany getting romantically involved is], because passion and politics don’t mix well. He knows the two of them getting together could be very dangerous.”

If there is betrayal, it will probably be Tyrion thinking that Jon/Dany are doing stupid things for love and hence going his own way.

8 hours ago, GrailKing said:

Not this shit again.

1 hour ago, GraceK said:

?

Considering NCW has done quite a bit of filming this season and is still in only 4 episodes tells me that one episode at the least will have a lot of Jaime. I think Jaime bites the dust around episode 5 along with Cersei. I just can't imagine how D&D will drag Cersei to the series finale.

1 hour ago, GraceK said:

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

D&D met with Martin in years ago and said that they laid the groundwork for the main characters to have the same end as they do in the final book although how they will get there will be different. Until D&D say otherwise, I expect this will be case. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Kaysen762 who apparently got info from Friki said that Friki would be posting a significant spoiler, but that the info won’t in of itself spoil who ends up on the IT, if anyone. (Kaysen762 also posted in another thread that Friki would be posting about a death, and then later denied it, so I don’t know.)

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

The full judgement against NCW has been linked to in the WOTW comment section. NCW is all six episodes.

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/interim-award-and-chart-c-wm.pdf

ETA: After a rethink, I realize that I had forgotten that NCW like most actors has a contract for the whole season so he will be paid for all the episodes whether he appears in them or not. So we cannot tell how many episodes he will appear in from that court judgement.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1