Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E23: Fork in the Road

• Start Topic

“In the Season 4 finale, Lindsay’s (Sophia Bush) mother is a suspect in the murder of her boyfriend; and the case opens up when a group of high-school students OD, and the drugs in question relate back to the situation with Bunny.”

(edited)

I think he realised that CPD were serious about their threat to shut down Intelligence if he chose her so he did the 'right' thing and decided she needed to go so he organised the FBI offer. It was pretty ridiculous (I would hope the FBI has higher standards?) I assume the covering for Bunny was because Erin had done the deal with the Feds. 

Sadly I am sure it will all be hand waved away next season & all will be forgiven by CPD & she'd be back in all her miserable glory by the end of episode 1.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 2

The whole thing seems pretty ridiculous given Voight and Al have actually committed murder. Now suddenly Intelligence methods are in trouble...

If that was her exit then it's pretty miserable and depressing for such a major character in the show. 

If she is coming back then they need to draw a line under Bunny once and for all and get rid of her. The storyline is exhaustingly repetitive and I can't watch anymore of Lindsay messing up her own life for her mothers mistakes. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

Why is Voight covering for Bunny? Does he want Erin gone?

Don't forget Voight's need for control over other people; I think he genuinely loves her, as much as he is capable of it, but he needs to feel in control. 

Erin is just a coward.

• Love 1
(edited)

Personally I'd keep Bunny and let Erin go to NY (and IMDB shows Sophia Bush in two 2017 movies--girl needs to get it while she can). Then Bunny can bring back the bad old days with Hank and Alvin and Trudy. Because I love Markie Post. They can pair off and double date (because things don't look good for Mr Trudy on Fire).

I was so hoping Erin would throw Jay's dead mother's engagement ring in his face. Way to chicken out from a proposal that makes noooo sense whatsoever, Jay.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

Can Bunny get more contemptible? She offs her gangster boyfriend looking to cash in on a half million dollar stash of lethal drugs, and then tries to get her cop daughter to help deflect the attention elsewhere and have someone else take the fall for the killing. And layers upon layers of lies. Well I have to give Markie Post credit for acting the role superbly, even if it has gotten old.

I've had mixed feelings about Erin Lindsay, maybe because the show has focused too much on her in my opinion, but definitely the show will take a hit if Sophia Bush leaves. I'm not ready just yet to accept Tracy Spiridakos in her place.

• Love 3

I was with Jay's brother: why now? And also: run! The writing for the whole Erin/Jay arc was one big mess and it ended in a whimper. I used to like Erin but now I'm actually hoping the character's gone for good (but I doubt it). That way we might finally get better writing and strong arcs for Atwater and Ruzek (until Burgess returns, sigh). Maybe we could also finally give Jay's PTSD some attention that lasts for longer than just the occasional episode where it fits the plot. New girl seems to be getting paired with Doc Halstedt because God forbid we have an attractive single female character on a show who remains (happily) single for more than half a season.

• Love 2

Beghe teased at the Upfronts that next season will be completely different as there's a new showrunners and writers so you never know they might spread the love storyline wise.

Regarding Lindsay, while I don't dislike her the way that a few posters around here seem to, I do agree that the Bunny plot is tired at this point. Overexposed and tired. I liked Lindsay best in season one, first half of season two, all of season three and most of season four when she mostly had her head together. I hate the self destruct stuff and her mother drama is exhausting. It's just annoying watching her make the same mistakes over and over. 

One thing I don't blame her for is the breakdown of her relationship with Jay. She was all in and he wanted out. I know he had his reasons but Will acting like she's the issue when it comes to their lack of relationship bugged me. 

• Love 8

I actually like Erin, or I want to. But the season ending on her high-tailing it out of town on her FBI Get Out of Jail Free card without even talking to Jay makes no sense to me, and I think it says bad things about her (lack of) character. Way to not be at all like your mother, Erin. (Oops.)

I agree with the assessment of whichever skel told Intelligence about the pills: "Bunny is a bottom-feeder." She is exhausting; Chas411 is right.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Sandman said:

But the season ending on her high-tailing it out of town on her FBI Get Out of Jail Free card without even talking to Jay makes no sense to me, and I think it says bad things about her (lack of) character. Way to not be at all like your mother, Erin. (Oops.)

But did she actually leave? 

Also it's not like she knows what Jays planning so I don't get why she's obligated to take any calls or say goodbye. He ended their relationship and that's where They're at. Just because he's ready to start things back again doesn't mean she should be.

I do agree with you're overall point though in that it is in poor taste to leave without saying goodbye to your team. Especially since they're so close. I think it boils down to two things. Firstly it's the finale so I think the intention of NBC judging by the Twitter posters is that we're supposed to be wandering whether she's going to Molly's or to New York.

The other is that she's not leaving on a happy note where she's starting an exciting new life. She hasn't an option but to go to because it was either that or lose her job completely. The whole thing is depressing so I get why she might not be up for taking calls and announcing it etc. It's selfish in a way but I do understand it.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Regarding Lindsay, while I don't dislike her the way that a few posters around here seem to, I do agree that the Bunny plot is tired at this point. Overexposed and tired. I liked Lindsay best in season one, first half of season two, all of season three and most of season four when she mostly had her head together. I hate the self destruct stuff and her mother drama is exhausting. It's just annoying watching her make the same mistakes over and over. 

One thing I don't blame her for is the breakdown of her relationship with Jay. She was all in and he wanted out. I know he had his reasons but Will acting like she's the issue when it comes to their lack of relationship bugged me. 

I like Lindsay as well, or as others say, I'm trying to.  She's supposed to be a complex, complicated character and that's fine with me; but they just aren't writing her well.  I hope the new show runners can write a bit better.  I agree that this show was best in seasons 1 and 2.

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

I actually like Erin, or I want to. But the season ending on her high-tailing it out of town on her FBI Get Out of Jail Free card without even talking to Jay makes no sense to me, and I think it says bad things about her (lack of) character. Way to not be at all like your mother, Erin. (Oops.)

I agree with the assessment of whichever skel told Intelligence about the pills: "Bunny is a bottom-feeder." She is exhausting; Chas411 is right.

Also agree that Bunny needs to go.  Markie Post is great, but the character ran her course a long time ago.  

5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

But did she actually leave? 

Also it's not like she knows what Jays planning so I don't get why she's obligated to take any calls or say goodbye. He ended their relationship and that's where They're at. Just because he's ready to start things back again doesn't mean she should be.

I do agree with you're overall point though in that it is in poor taste to leave without saying goodbye to your team. Especially since they're so close. I think it boils down to two things. One it's the finale so I think the intention of NBC judging by the Twitter posters is that we're supposed to be wandering whether she's going to Molly's or to New York.

Two - it's not like she's leaving on a happy note where she's starting an exciting new life. She hasn't an option but to go to because it was either that or lose her job completely. The whole thing is depressing so I get why she might not be up for taking calls and announcing it etc. It's selfish in a way but I do understand it.

I was going to comment on this too, but then saw your post - I guess we don't know that she actually leaves.  The "official" Chicago PD twitter account wants us to think that she might go to Molly's?  I guess it's possible; she could realize that her mom isn't worth it and that by reaching out Jay still loves her, so she doesn't leave?  She could always just not be a cop of any kind to "save" the unit.  Next season could plausibly go either way.  Heck, maybe she saves the Captain's life in the season premiere so that's why he forgives her... who knows.  

There are many things that the new showrunners can do - I just hope they do it better.  This show has potential and good actors; they need something to work with.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
typo
  • Love 3
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Beghe teased at the Upfronts that next season will be completely different as there's a new showrunners and writers so you never know they might spread the love storyline wise.

The whole Lindsay backstory and her relationship with the dysfunctional mother has run its course on the series. IMO. The subplots with the mother have grown tired. The mother either lies all the time or she puts out half truths to cover up some kind of agenda.. Voight throwing out the evidence on Bunny was typical for him in order to cover up a killing. Looking forward to return of Burgess. Both Jay and brother Dr. Will are losers. Natalie needs to stay clear of both of them.

Edited by VinceW

Oh, and regarding Jay - what was that?  I get that he still loves her; that's been pretty obvious.  But his reason was not a reason to get married.  And that would be the most unromantic proposal ever.  "Hey, you're spiraling, and you need me.  Marry me."  Uh... no.

• Love 5
(edited)

Agreed with all the above. Markie post is excellent but she needs to go. It's the same storyline over and over and over again and it's just annoying to watch. 

I'd rather have had the back half of the season focus on Jay with Lindsay supporting him. Instead of the complete mess they made of the Linstead relationship. The proposal at the end was ridiculous. It came out of nowhere. The whole breakup coupled with the random Manning flirtation had made me think less of Jay.

I don't think Bush is leaving because no media outlets have reported it and nobody has reacted to it in any big way but I do wonder (aside from the need for a cliffhanger) what the he'll they were thinking with this random season ender. 

Lets hope next season improves with the new writers.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I'd rather have had the back half of the season focus on Jay with Lindsay supporting him. Instead of the complete mess they made of the Linstead relationship. The proposal at the end was ridiculous. It came out of nowhere. The whole breakup coupled with the random Manning flirtation had made me think less of Jay.

Yep - this.  And that's what should have happened.  And then a marriage proposal would have made sense; they'd have strengthened their relationship through working it out together.

I think I'm going to forget the random Manning flirtation ever happened.  Jesse kind of hinted towards that in an interview; that Jay thought nothing of it and nothing would have come from it.

• Love 1

Oh it's a total rehash of the other two times she left. I suppose last time she went to the FBI it was her own career choice and she was happy at first. That's the only difference I can see. 

• Love 1

I guess thankfully we'll be getting new writers next season.  

If she takes the job and goes undercover to La Paz, Bolivia, then we know that the writers can't think of anything new...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I guess thankfully we'll be getting new writers next season.  

If she takes the job and goes undercover to La Paz, Bolivia, then we know that the writers can't think of anything new...

Yes, the Erin Lindsay leaving story has been done twice before. I like Sophia Bush but too much of the series has revolved around her character and also her triangle with her mom and Hank Voight. Looking back to Season 1 it seems like Antonio was supposed to have a bigger role in the series. As they went on he got pushed more and more to the sidelines till he finally departed as a regular this season. If they had continued on the paths set by Season 1 maybe Erin wouldn't have been as overplayed. Jon Seda has had a better role on Chicago Justice this past season. If that show doesn't get renewed Chicago P.D. could use him back. Antonio Dawson was a good fit in the squad, imo.

• Love 3

Yes if Justice isn't renewed then I hope he's back. I don't feel his relegation to the sidelines was singularly down to Erin's storylines though. I think Jays character took his place as the by the books guy compared to Voights break the rules leadership.

Agreed overall though that the focus on Erin's mother issues is too overdone. 

Just because I'm bored today and trying to get back to work after vacation is too difficult for my brain, here's what I would do if I were writing this show next year:

- Erin stays.  She doesn't take the deal, because she realizes that her mother deserves to go to prison.  Therefore, Bunny is gone.  (Sorry Markie Post, I like you, but I hate your character.)  I'm not entirely sure how to fix Erin's job situation, but running away to undercover work in NYC isn't the answer.  The episode opens with her walking in to Molly's, then can progress over a large expanse of time.  Maybe she works out a deal and goes to therapy and anger management training, and is a patrol cop for awhile.

- Jay and Erin get back together, but for the right reasons.  Let them realize they still love each other and Jay actually *wants* to propose rather than do it just because he thinks she needs him.  Then, let their relationship stay in the background if needed; that should appease both fanbases.  They can slowly plan a wedding without their relationship drama being in the forefront of storylines.

- We finally find out what happened to Justin's killer and Voight.  After last night's throw away line, are we to now think that Voight's cronies killed the killer and it wasn't Voight?  I'd write this in, I guess, just to resolve it and help try to redeem Voight (yet again).

- Antonio comes back.  (I don't think Justice is going to make it.)  He gets more of a personal storyline as well - maybe something with his kids, but none of them die!  I'm sick of the bad stuff happening to everyone's kids/family.

- We learn what happened to Al's maybe-daughter.  We also learn what happened to his ex-wife.  Does he still live at Ruzek's?  Or in the garage?  Bring the wife back; Al needs a good personal story too.  Let him be happy for once.

- Atwater gets a storyline as well!!  He's awesome; I want to know why he's raising his siblings.  Where are their parents?  Maybe I'd write that his mom passed away and his father is in prison.  Maybe his father gets released next year and Atwater has to deal with that.  I wouldn't want it to be like the Bunny story though, so it would have to be different.  Maybe his father is actually redeemed and he's a true success story of reintegrating into society.  Oh, and Atwater passes his detective exam with flying colors.

- Ruzek/Burgess... well, I don't actually care about either of them, so I guess if I'm the new writer I have to write something to make myself care.  Burgess actually gets a decent head on her shoulders and stops making stupid decisions.  They don't get back together, but are still great friends.  Ruzek does something wrong and they all realize that he never really "earned" his place to be there anyway, so he goes down to patrol for awhile.  Maybe he and Erin are partners for a bit.

OK, that's all I have for now.  Me being bored but forced to sit in front of a computer is never a good combo - usually I just go shopping... :-)

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

- We finally find out what happened to Justin's killer and Voight.  After last night's throw away line, are we to now think that Voight's cronies killed the killer and it wasn't Voight?  I'd write this in, I guess, just to resolve it and help try to redeem Voight (yet again).

IIRC the croonies just handed the killer over to Voight (as a present so to speak) and it's pretty clear Voight did the rest. That's why Erin moved the body.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

- Erin stays.  She doesn't take the deal, because she realizes that her mother deserves to go to prison.  Therefore, Bunny is gone.  (Sorry Markie Post, I like you, but I hate your character.)  I'm not entirely sure how to fix Erin's job situation, but running away to undercover work in NYC isn't the answer.  The episode opens with her walking in to Molly's, then can progress over a large expanse of time.  Maybe she works out a deal and goes to therapy and anger management training, and is a patrol cop for awhile.

- Jay and Erin get back together, but for the right reasons.  Let them realize they still love each other and Jay actually *wants* to propose rather than do it just because he thinks she needs him.  Then, let their relationship stay in the background if needed; that should appease both fanbases.  They can slowly plan a wedding without their relationship drama being in the forefront of storylines.

I like this. One of the things I hated about the finale was that they downplayed how solid Jay/Erin were as a couple until they split. His proposal and Wills reaction was played as though the relationship was based on nothing more then him having a hero complex and her being crazy. I know she's had her moments but I thought she was at her best (and happiest) when she was with Jay as they brought out good traits in each other.

Also yes to the relationship drama being in the background. I hated that Burgess relationships always interfered with the job and I hate that the same ended up happening with Lindsay/Jay. It's works better when it's subtle and in the background.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

IIRC the croonies just handed the killer over to Voight (as a present so to speak) and it's pretty clear Voight did the rest. That's why Erin moved the body.

Ah, ok - that makes sense.  And I always assumed Voight killed him and Erin moved the body too, but I wasn't quite sure what to think after that conversation last night.

2 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I like this. One of the things I hated about the finale was that they downplayed how solid Jay/Erin were as a couple until they split. His proposal and Wills reaction was played as though the relationship was based on nothing more then him having a hero complex and her being crazy. I know she's had her moments but I thought she was at her best (and happiest) when she was with Jay as they brought out good traits in each other.

Also yes to the relationship drama being in the background. I hated that Burgess relationships always interfered with the job and I hate that the same ended up happening with Lindsay/Jay. It's works better when it's subtle and in the background.

Who is Will to give relationship advice anyway?  I mean, he's a trainwreck in his own personal life.  I'm glad Jay just asked him for the ring and didn't have a drawn out conversation.  

I know it's been discussed before and people were offended by Al calling Burgess a "badge bunny," but he wasn't wrong.  That's one of the reasons why I don't like her character, but do like Erin.  Erin and Jay worked well together, and were mature about understanding that the job came first (until the last half of this season, of course).  I've heard people joke that they just go to college or grad school to earn their "MRS" degree - well, I feel like that's how Burgess treated being a cop; her coworkers were just her dating pool.  At least that hasn't happened to Jay and Erin, and it better not next season if they don't get back together.  (I don't think Hailey will interfere, if she stays around.  She seems to get it.)

22 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Why would Hailey interfere with Erin/Jay? Did i miss something?

I think it was implied on Twitter that Hailey might be interested in Jay.  I didn't see it either; just throwing it out there.

God I hope not. She already feels sort of Erin Lite without throwing that in the mix. I think the show would be going a little too soapy by throwing a triangle in.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh, one more thing though - more Skinstead.  Jesse/Jay without his shirt on is F-I-N-E.  I mean, for no good reasons, too, like a gratuitous shot of him changing in the locker room.  I don't care - I'm the writer, I can do whatever I want. ;-)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Chas411 said:

God I hope not. She already feels sort of Erin Lite without throwing that in the mix. I think the show would be going a little too soapy by throwing a triangle in.

Well they already did that with that stupid Roman thing so it's not beyond them to got down that path again......

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Guildford said:

Well they already did that with that stupid Roman thing so it's not beyond them to got down that path again......

I had almost blocked that out :)

16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I was with Jay's brother: why now? And also: run! The writing for the whole Erin/Jay arc was one big mess and it ended in a whimper. I used to like Erin but now I'm actually hoping the character's gone for good (but I doubt it). That way we might finally get better writing and strong arcs for Atwater and Ruzek (until Burgess returns, sigh). Maybe we could also finally give Jay's PTSD some attention that lasts for longer than just the occasional episode where it fits the plot. New girl seems to be getting paired with Doc Halstedt because God forbid we have an attractive single female character on a show who remains (happily) single for more than half a season.

Please, like the writers would write anything for Atwater with four white male characters still in the cast.

I hope Erin stays, because Sophia Bush (and come on, Tracy Spiradakos is a massive downgrade from Sophia Bush), but the writing has been pretty dire.  Bringing up the awful Bunny subplot again instead of developing Jay's PTSD or whatever was a tremendous waste.  And potentially writing Erin out by way of the FBI after how tired that plot device is in the show is just bad.

I'm wondering if they Board's real plan was to dissolve Intelligence and assumed that Voight would choose Erin.  They have to know about the cage in the basement, they must have heard rumors about the way the unit behaves (there's no way that some of the murders, attempted murders, and assaults haven't been talked about and it only takes one to reach a Board member) even if they don't have evidence, and the unit acts like standard cops than undercover experts most of the time anyway.  If Voight had chosen Erin, then they could have pointed to her assaulting the suspect as a specific incident, complete with corroboration, as a reason to dump the unit.  Then the team would have been transferred to other districts and Erin would have been reprimanded but remained a cop.  I don't think the Board had it out for her specifically but saw it as an opportunity to go after Intelligence and who better than Voight's daughter?  Then he ruined it by figuring out a way to keep Intelligence and give Erin a career boost.

Not that I expect them to actually say any of this.  That's my own interpretation of what happened. 

I do agree that Bunny needs to be retired as a story go to.  And this is the perfect time to do it.  Markie Post has been great but it's time the character face some actual consequences for her crimes and the emotional pain she causes Erin. 

Speaking of, Erin doesn't have to work in Intelligence.  It makes things easier as far as story structure but the show is Chicago PD, not Chicago Intelligence.  She can work for another unit.  Or, if the FBI thing does work out, they can make her a liaison between the FBI and Intelligence.  Assuming Sophia isn't leaving, there are a few different things they can do with the character that keep her in Chicago and working with the unit. 

Introducing blondie to the squad was a dead giveaway. Burgess or Lindsay gone unless a backdoor pilot.

I want to see Voight redeem himself and stay out of the gutter. Destroying evidence for Bunny not helping. He could've made a 'sloppy' attempt to get it into the evidence locker if for no other reason for insurance down the road . When it comes time to eliminate the problem mom I guess it won't include an arrest.

• Love 1

I think if they up Tracy S to a regular before the summers out then yes they're getting rid of Sophia or she's leaving. She just seems very Erin Lite and I could see her easily slotting in and picking up her storylines. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 1:17 PM, watcher1006 said:

Yes, the Erin Lindsay leaving story has been done twice before. I like Sophia Bush but too much of the series has revolved around her character and also her triangle with her mom and Hank Voight. Looking back to Season 1 it seems like Antonio was supposed to have a bigger role in the series. As they went on he got pushed more and more to the sidelines till he finally departed as a regular this season. If they had continued on the paths set by Season 1 maybe Erin wouldn't have been as overplayed. Jon Seda has had a better role on Chicago Justice this past season. If that show doesn't get renewed Chicago P.D. could use him back. Antonio Dawson was a good fit in the squad, imo.

Actually, the only reason I watch Justice is Antonio and his female partner Laura working the cases. The State attorney character is bad casting because he acts too much as a foil for the assistant Stone.

Edited by VinceW