Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Black Heart, White Mountain

(edited)

Yeah, it is obvious that "Flea" is the Widow. Bajie is in a for a shock. I am not sure why he stole the compass. Sunny won't be pleased.

Sunny's nightmares being about his guilt were predictable. I wish that the writers had used his delusions to reveal something new about him.

The preview suggests that Sunny and M.K. are returning to the Badlands next week. I hope in time to save Veil from a fate worse than death, marrying Quinn. The Widow will be terrified knowing that Sunny will kill her when he finds out that she turned Veil and Henry over to Quinn.

Oh, I was re-watching the Equalizer and realized that the actor who plays Quinn was the bad guy. He has aged a lot since that movie.

Edited by SimoneS

No disrespect to anyone, but I just cannot tolerate Nick Frost here (and I like him very much in other things, like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead) - he is just so miscast here.  I didn't buy him as a quarry slave, I don't buy him as a former ninja or abbot or whatever.  I also (still) think whoever is playing MK is just a terrible actor.  I have to admit that I FF their scenes. 

Didn't care about Sonny's nightmare.  He was feeling guilty in season 1, nothing new here.  Daniel Wu is a wonderful action actor - let him be active!

What I do like:  Quinn, he is just a great actor in an interesting role, and the Widow.  She is awesome, especially in those heels.  I knew neither Quinn nor the Widow would actually kill her, although the look of disgust on both the widow and Tilda's faces when the door opened was pretty funny.

Random bits:

The show is probably going to have ‘Flea’ be the Widow, but I’m having trouble thinking Bajie would have been old enough to have been an abbot before Flea was an adult.

Speaking of the Abbots, they are the ones who need a wall. Or something. Security at the perimeter and especially around the sacred scrolls seems pretty lax.

Bajie and M.K. are driving around in what could be a vintage 70s station wagon, yet haven’t gassed up since they stopped at the old man’s place. But hey, no worries, maybe it’s a hybrid.

I feel sorry for Jade and believe her when she told Quinn she really loved Ryder. OTOH, Jade is a master manipulator so she may just be screwing with Quinn which is just as good.

Sunny had a very bad dream that ended when five 6” needles were rammed into his chest. Great! But how did he know Henry’s name? And I was really hoping  he would recognize from his dream that he DIDN’T see Quinn as one of his victims which means (cue music) QUINN’s alive!

5 hours ago, Canada said:

Is it really supposed to be believable that all 350lbs of Nick Frost used to be a ninja?  And is still able to pull off ninja moves?  BS!

I kind of like it -- anyone -- literally anyone -- can be an Abbot!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Canada said:

Is it really supposed to be believable that all 350lbs of Nick Frost used to be a ninja?  And is still able to pull off ninja moves?  BS!

Well, if Chris Farley could do it, so can Nick Frost.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Yeah, it is obvious that "Flea" is the Widow. Bajie is in a for a shock. I am not sure why he stole the compass.

This episode wasn't as epic as the last one, but I love this development - I knew there would be some Bajie-Widow connection (unless, in spite of Ava saying "they always get caught" people are actually escaping from the monastery all the time, the odds the two separate characters who "used to be special" know each other are pretty high). I thought they'd be siblings. But this is great. He knows her but wouldn't know who she is now because she always has a nickname "Minerva" is the Etruscan/Roman goddess of wisdom, war, strategy and the arts. It fits her fighting style so well, it's probably an old nickname rather than a given name. So he is in for a shock.

14 hours ago, Ed McCauley said:

I’m having trouble thinking Bajie would have been old enough to have been an abbot before Flea was an adult.

Nick Frost is 45, Emily Beecham is 32. If the characters are the same age, then Bajie was 25 when he took on Flea as a 12 year old student. Since that's roughly the same age as Ava was taking on MK, I'll buy it as consistent in-universe, even though I suspect if they used more experienced teachers, their students wouldn't keep running off. I kind of feel for the monks here, though - they felt like they had to put down that one kid because he didn't want to control his powers and said he liked killing people. I believe his reasoning was something like "chicks dig it." And Flea wiped out an entire settlement. Their alternative was what, operate a prison for people with superpowers that make them uncontrollably kill people? They don't look like they have the resources. One thing about this show is that most people, even the main characters' adversaries, seem to have understandable motives for what they do. Except Nos, that guy was obviously just a creep.

Knowing that the world outside the Badlands is basically Mad Max also puts the Barons' actions in perspective. They're still horrible, but in their own eyes they probably see themselves as necessary. The lack of a Baron and clipper force at the Fort and in Quinn's old territory along the river is probably inviting all sorts of attacks like the one on Lance Henrksen's people.

If the Widow is a metahuman, why does she always fight as a regular person??? She has tried to kill Quinn and Sunny before and failed. Did Quinn wound her in Season 1? 

(edited)
14 hours ago, Ed McCauley said:

Sunny had a very bad dream that ended when five 6” needles were rammed into his chest. Great! But how did he know Henry’s name? 

In his delusion, Sunny said that Veil told him that if they had a son, she would name him after her father.

4 minutes ago, paigow said:

If the Widow is a metahuman, why does she always fight as a regular person??? She has tried to kill Quinn and Sunny before and failed. Did Quinn wound her in Season 1? 

Because Bajie suggested that the monks took away her "gift" after she killed all those people like they did to the young man who tried to escape.

Edited by SimoneS
18 hours ago, Ed McCauley said:

And I was really hoping  he would recognize from his dream that he DIDN’T see Quinn as one of his victims which means (cue music) QUINN’s alive!

Didn't Sunny find this out already?  When he was hanging with Nathaniel Moon?  

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Ah. Must have missed that although why would Moon have known? Thanks.

2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

From Nos (Nas?) the slaver, at the horrible dinner party with hookers. He also figured out that Veil is with him:

Sunny: Quinn's alive? He can't be, I clipped him myself.

Nos: He must have one hell of a healer, then.

Sunny: [meaningful stare]

• Love 1

While I find Nick Frost a bit hit or miss here (sometimes he lays it on a bit too thick), I don't have that much of an issue with him being a former Abbott, because depending on when he left, I can easily see Bajie letting himself go, and looking like Nick Frost now.  And, yes, I totally think "Flea" is going to end up being The Widow.

That said, other then the stuff with The Widow, Quinn, and Jade, I was kind of bored with this episode.  Sunny's dream/hallucination was by the book, right down to his fear that his child will become like him.  The Bajie/M.K. team was dull, mainly due to M.K. being M.K.  Bajie keeps the compass for himself, so he's still hiding something from the other two.  Nothing to see here.

But Quinn/Widow's little mission seems to be going well.  At least they/Quinn spared Jade, but she's now an outcast.  I wonder what is in store for her going forward.

• Love 1

Just a bit of advice to the showrunners: episodes where you have Daniel Wu spending the entire time lying flat on his back dreaming of being a peaceful farmer + barely any Emily Beecham time on screen will NOT result in more viewers to your program.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Just a bit of advice to the showrunners: episodes where you have Daniel Wu spending the entire time lying flat on his back dreaming of being a peaceful farmer + barely any Emily Beecham time on screen will NOT result in more viewers to your program.

This  a thousand times.

• Love 1

Honestly the worst episode of the whole show! It makes me hesitant to watch the next one... i know i will but im not excited or looking forward to it like i am with most shows

I missed this last Sunday and recorded this Sunday.  Is there anything pertinent with Sunny's dreamstate (like foreshadowing, etc) or can I safely fast-forward through that stuff while watching the rest of the episode?

10 hours ago, johntfs said:

I missed this last Sunday and recorded this Sunday.  Is there anything pertinent with Sunny's dreamstate (like foreshadowing, etc) or can I safely fast-forward through that stuff while watching the rest of the episode?

I try and never skip stuff because you never know what random detail will be important later but thuganomics85 summed up the episode extremely well especially the dream stuff if you dont have time to sit through just read what he wrote and you are good

What exactly was the purpose of the scrolls? Badjie looked at it but there was no indication that anything new was revealed to him. He already knew about the needles because he told MK to search out a satchel when they entered the room. I also didn't see any explanation why he forcibly jamming in needles like a sledgehammer.  Seemed like another instance of the show doing nonsense just for visual effect.

The scrolls marked the order and position in which the needles had to be inserted in order to cure the Hand of Five Poisons effect.  Otherwise they're just stabbing a dude in the chest with needles, which is generally not healthy.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/10/2017 at 5:21 PM, johntfs said:

The scrolls marked the order and position in which the needles had to be inserted in order to cure the Hand of Five Poisons effect.  Otherwise they're just stabbing a dude in the chest with needles, which is generally not healthy.

I know the scrolls were supposed to do that, however that's not what was shown. Or basically what was shown was so sloppy. If Badjie claims there's no hope, he can't search out the curing needles before he's looked at the scroll. The order in which the organs were named differed from the first time he uttered them to M.K. but I had to go to my dvr to verify. I would think needle placement would be crucial but that was intentionally not shown. The scene failed in its execution.

What's the big deal about the five point technique? At least in Kill Bill, you drop dead within a few minutes. Here you dream until you die. If you're not a murderous clipper, would you have bad dreams? Was that Ringu girl in Sonny's dreams featured in the first season? I don't remember her story.

Edited by Iguessnot
30 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I know the scrolls were supposed to do that, however that's not what was shown. Or basically what was shown was so sloppy. If Badjie claims there's no hope, he can't search out the curing needles before he's looked at the scroll. The order in which the organs were named differed from the first time he uttered them to M.K. but I had to go to my dvr to verify. I would think needle placement would be crucial but that was intentionally not shown. The scene failed in its execution.

What's the big deal about the five point technique? At least in Kill Bill, you drop dead within a few minutes. Here you dream until you die. If you're not a murderous clipper, would you have bad dreams? Was that Ringu girl in Sonny's dreams featured in the first season? I don't remember her story.

To be fair, you asked the purpose of the scroll and showing where and how to place the needles was clearly the purpose.  You're totally right that the show fucked up the execution.

Remember that the technique was "Hand of Five Poisons."  It attacks the Brain, Kidneys, Liver, Lungs and Heart.  Figure even if you've living a clean, virtuous life (not likely in this world) you'll have pleasant dreams while still dying from heart, lung, liver and kidney failure.  It does make an excellent way to disable somebody just in case you decide you need them alive.