Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds Analysis: Profile The Show

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, roamyn said:

Oh, and Joe... it's pronounced Ky-a-hog-a (Cuyahoga).

I live a half hour west of Cleveland and I laugh every time he says Cuyahoga.  If the writer's are going to use a certain word, they should make sure the actor knows how to pronounce it correctly.

sorry.... I thought I'd already mentioned that here before, guess it was somewhere else :D . It's my Internet nickname for my son; he's asked me not to divulge his name anywhere online so I refer to him as HeWhoKnowsEverythingAboutComputers  O:-) 

I'm so lucky I have in house Techsupport. And even better, In house TechSupport who got me into CM and helps the obsession along.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I totally agree with all of this! The overall impression was that the team were doing nothing to help Reid and weren't shown as being terribly bothered about it. The final two episodes were so great but I was left wondering why they didn't call on all their contacts for help months before, or at least show a bit more concern. It would have been so easy to put something in before Green Light. I wish my computer expert (son) would compile just the Reid arc for me like Riff's HWKEAC because the cases of the week just failed to hold interest and it would be great to see the Reid story as a continuous thing. I tried today to remember any of the cases of this season but, apart from a memory of corpses staked out in a pattern in the desert, none were memorable enough to call to mind! They have shown they can give us great episodes with the finale - now can we have more than a couple of outstanding episodes in a season please.

Even Luke seemed to be doing more for Reid than the veteran team members. At least they could have shown that the team was struggling without Reid for a case or two. 

Anyways lets hope for a better season 13 and for Reid to be in every single episode contributing more than just facts :)

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, CrimeFan12 said:

I live a half hour west of Cleveland and I laugh every time he says Cuyahoga.  If the writer's are going to use a certain word, they should make sure the actor knows how to pronounce it correctly.

Whereabouts?  I'm from Westlake, but live in NC, now.  (PS. GO CAVS!)

I don't think the team was sitting around doing nothing.  I knew they were working hard to get him out so I didn't have to see that on screen.  I didn't want to see them sitting around the table rehashing the same old stuff week after week because the trail had gone stone cold.  To me that would be boring as heck and a waste of time, taking time away from the prison scenes and the case they were working on.  Once they finally got a break in the case, they pursued it like we knew they would.

I don't need to see everything.  I don't need to hear them mentioning a character that is no longer on the show.  I know where they are and what's going on.  Elle quit and when who knows where, Jason was roaming the country and eventually dying, Emily was in London, JJ was at the Pentagon, and Hotch is in witness protection.  That was all fine with me.  I focus on the characters that are on the screen.  Just like I was fine with them not making references to Reid when Matthew took some episodes off.  He was with his mother.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, CrimeFan12 said:

I don't think the team was sitting around doing nothing.  I knew they were working hard to get him out so I didn't have to see that on screen.  I didn't want to see them sitting around the table rehashing the same old stuff week after week because the trail had gone stone cold.  To me that would be boring as heck and a waste of time, taking time away from the prison scenes and the case they were working on.  Once they finally got a break in the case, they pursued it like we knew they would.

I don't need to see everything.  I don't need to hear them mentioning a character that is no longer on the show.  I know where they are and what's going on.  Elle quit and when who knows where, Jason was roaming the country and eventually dying, Emily was in London, JJ was at the Pentagon, and Hotch is in witness protection.  That was all fine with me.  I focus on the characters that are on the screen.  Just like I was fine with them not making references to Reid when Matthew took some episodes off.  He was with his mother.  

What about Alex Blake? They act like she never existed...

11 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

What about Alex Blake? They act like she never existed...

I always forget to include everything I'm thinking of...lol. I forgot three people.  Derek it appears moved his family back to Chicago to be near his mom and sisters.  Blake followed her husband to Harvard and is probably teaching there.  Callahan is at home raising her baby.  

(edited)
41 minutes ago, qwerty said:

591afd027586b_ScreenShot2017-05-16at11_21_51PM.png.739f00a1820f83046220a96ad1c9aeb5.png

From most to least
Spencer Reid      -   26.2% - 1082 words
Emily Prentiss     -   14.8% - 610 words
Penelope Garcia -   12.8% - 530 words
David Rossi         -   11.7% - 483 words
Stephen Walker   -    9.6% - 398 words
Jennifer Jareau   -     9.5% - 393 words
Luke Alvez           -    9.3% - 386 words
Tara Lewis           -     6.0% - 248 words

Where did this information come from? What does surface tension mean (in this context)? I figured it out; it's S23E11. My brain wasn't thinking of specific episodes outside of their episode threads. 

Edited by Complexity
6 minutes ago, Complexity said:

Where did this information come from? What does surface tension mean (in this context)?

Qwerty does analysis of episodes to say how many words each character said and how much screen time they got.

This is pie chart of number of words each character said in episode "Surface Tension".

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ReidGirl said:

Qwerty does analysis of episodes to say how many words each character said and how much screen time they got.

This is pie chart of number of words each character said in episode "Surface Tension".

Thank you!! ? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Complexity said:

S23E11

Slight correction- that's S12E11. We're not yet at Season 23. It may feel that way sometimes. :P

On another front:

I was thinking...I know CM hasn't had the greatest of luck with spinoffs lately, but, seeing how NBC is doing a "true crime version" of Law & Order, I wonder if CM could do the same.

You could call it "Rossi: The Early Years" or do a series right at the beginning of Jason Gideon's tenure, with Ben Savage as the lead, since Savage did well as the younger Gideon. In both cases, the show would have the BAU hunt real killers every week, with maybe some of the better known guys- like Ted Bundy or Charles Manson- being "Big Bads".

I would say in either case they'd have to recast Rossi, because I'm not sure Robert Dunne would capable of leading a series. Savage can remain as Gideon.

What do you think?

12 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Slight correction- that's S12E11. We're not yet at Season 23. It may feel that way sometimes. :P

On another front:

I was thinking...I know CM hasn't had the greatest of luck with spinoffs lately, but, seeing how NBC is doing a "true crime version" of Law & Order, I wonder if CM could do the same.

You could call it "Rossi: The Early Years" or do a series right at the beginning of Jason Gideon's tenure, with Ben Savage as the lead, since Savage did well as the younger Gideon. In both cases, the show would have the BAU hunt real killers every week, with maybe some of the better known guys- like Ted Bundy or Charles Manson- being "Big Bads".

I would say in either case they'd have to recast Rossi, because I'm not sure Robert Dunne would capable of leading a series. Savage can remain as Gideon.

What do you think?

That actually was the plan for the spinoff. But it didn't get the green light and it just became the episode Nelson's Sparrow instead. 

17 minutes ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

That actually was the plan for the spinoff. But it didn't get the green light and it just became the episode Nelson's Sparrow instead. 

I think it would have made for a better spinoff. Seeing the team tackle real cases would be fun, especially since Rossi and Gideon (and Max Ryan) all worked those cases, or at least said they did.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I think it would have made for a better spinoff. Seeing the team tackle real cases would be fun, especially since Rossi and Gideon (and Max Ryan) all worked those cases, or at least said they did.

I think it should've been the spinoff. It would've been more interesting than Beyond Borders. Or, as they call it Beyond Boredom. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

Oops! Now that was a big typo! ? Thanks for catching it. ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

oh I hope it does go that long :D

Reid might actually be married and a father by then. He could even be FBI Director......

• Love 3

Also, there are some theories that "True Night" was a backdoor pilot for a spin-off, that didn't 'go through. The unsub getting his own show.

That would have been awesome.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Mislav said:

Also, there are some theories that "True Night" was a backdoor pilot for a spin-off, that didn't 'go through. The unsub getting his own show.

That would have been awesome.

One of my writing projects is exactly that premise. He's going to be more of a vigilante so the audience will have some sympathy for the guy (and his gang), but there will no hiding that he will be the bad guy.

Except for the comment that the team did 'fine' without Reid in the field, I think it's a fair, but limited, assessment of the season as a whole.  

• Love 3

The article also said the team was "working tirelessly to prove [Reid's] innocence," which is stretching credulity.

They also seem to think it's a really good idea for Reid to just jump back in to the BAU routine. Not supported by the FBI? Not a priority to his team for exoneration? Terrorized by a crazy psycho who killed at least 3 people and wanted to kill his mother just so she could win? Hey, no problem. "I'll just get my satchel and some coffee and be right there!"

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, normasm said:

The article also said the team was "working tirelessly to prove [Reid's] innocence," which is stretching credulity.

They also seem to think it's a really good idea for Reid to just jump back in to the BAU routine. Not supported by the FBI? Not a priority to his team for exoneration? Terrorized by a crazy psycho who killed at least 3 people and wanted to kill his mother just so she could win? Hey, no problem. "I'll just get my satchel and some coffee and be right there!"

Working tirelessly to prove his innocence. And I've got ocean front property in Arizona. 

I do think we have too many new people. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, JMO said:

Except for the comment that the team did 'fine' without Reid in the field, I think it's a fair, but limited, assessment of the season as a whole.  

I would agree.

I will point out, though, that the team did seem to operate seamlessly without Reid, but that- as well as the idea that the team "worked tirelessly to prove Reid's innocence"- was more due to lazy writing than anything else. In one  episode- I forget which- Luke somehow knew the Latin phrase the UnSub used, because he had gone to a Catholic school. Now, Luke going to a Catholic school isn't out of the realm of possibility (although I went to a Catholic school and I never learned Latin), but the line sure felt like it was just thrown in so the writer could get around not having Reid there (as he would definitely know what that phrase meant).

I miss the earlier seasons when the team visibly struggled without Hotch- as seen in "In Name And Blood" and "The Slave of Duty"- because that's more realistic. Not to disrespect the character but you'd think missing Reid in the field would be an even bigger blow than not having Hotch, because Reid is their go-to for any kind of obscure knowledge. At the very least, we should have had the team waste time Googling, with an UnSub perhaps gaining a step on them in the process. The fact that never happened is the fault of the writers, who couldn't be bothered to flesh that out.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, JMO said:

I agree with Daniel. The team seemed to operate seamlessly without Reid. Then again, it was hard to pay too much attention, so maybe I missed something. 

Yeah, those cases during the time Reid was in prison were a blur to me. The only ones I can remember were the vampire dude, and... that's it. The vampire dude. Because I actually felt something akinto sympathy for him. All the other episodes I was:

REIDREIDGETBACKTOREIDFUCKOFFIDONTCAREABOUTYOUUNSUBREIDREIDREIDREID.

I stopped reviewing during that time, too. Wasn't feeling anything but him.

• Love 2

LOL. I think a LOT of us were there.

It's almost too bad actually. Some of those cases may have been interesting. Except that because they occurred during the prison arc, so I.Didn't.Care.

The *idea* of an arc is a great one. But it shouldn't separate a team member from the rest of the team for such a length of time. I'd rather an arc was something of a personal story for one of the team members  Reid such that the COTWs still involve all of them.

The *idea* of Reid going through prison, growing and changing was a great one. The idea of dragging that over half a season not so much, because of all the things we've already discussed (separating him from team; making team look like they aren't working on his case, splitting the focus too much). This would have been better if had perhaps been 3-4 episodes and the ONLY case they were working on. 

I hope season 13 brings us more focus on Reid too. They *must* know what a good thing they got going there.

• Love 5

I am thinking that next time Reid can't physically be with the BAU team the writers need to find another way where he can still be involved in the cases. For instance the team could Skype with him while they were in the bull pen. Now of course I do realize that wasn't an option while he was in prison. But thankfully his innocence was proven and he is now a free man. So having him Skype with his team should not be an issue if for some reason he needs to be away from them for a significant amount of time.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I would agree.

I will point out, though, that the team did seem to operate seamlessly without Reid, but that- as well as the idea that the team "worked tirelessly to prove Reid's innocence"- was more due to lazy writing than anything else. In one  episode- I forget which- Luke somehow knew the Latin phrase the UnSub used, because he had gone to a Catholic school. Now, Luke going to a Catholic school isn't out of the realm of possibility (although I went to a Catholic school and I never learned Latin), but the line sure felt like it was just thrown in so the writer could get around not having Reid there (as he would definitely know what that phrase meant).

I miss the earlier seasons when the team visibly struggled without Hotch- as seen in "In Name And Blood" and "The Slave of Duty"- because that's more realistic. Not to disrespect the character but you'd think missing Reid in the field would be an even bigger blow than not having Hotch, because Reid is their go-to for any kind of obscure knowledge. At the very least, we should have had the team waste time Googling, with an UnSub perhaps gaining a step on them in the process. The fact that never happened is the fault of the writers, who couldn't be bothered to flesh that out.

Yup agree with that completely. Even in The Fisher King part 2 when they were struggling with puzzles, Reid comes in and answers something about time and Elle says never leave or something like that. That was a small moment but it showed the team needed Reid as much as(or more?) they needed everyone else. 

4 hours ago, Willowy said:

Yeah, those cases during the time Reid was in prison were a blur to me. The only ones I can remember were the vampire dude, and... that's it. The vampire dude. Because I actually felt something akinto sympathy for him. All the other episodes I was:

REIDREIDGETBACKTOREIDFUCKOFFIDONTCAREABOUTYOUUNSUBREIDREIDREIDREID.

I stopped reviewing during that time, too. Wasn't feeling anything but him.

I just watched the Reid scenes when he was in prison. I tried watching the cases but did not find them interesting with the prison story going on in the background.

All the time I was thinking just get REID OUT OF PRISON ALREADY!!!!!!

• Love 1

I hope this is an okay place for this-

I have noticed that people often talk about Reid risking his life for unsubs, particularly in Elephant's Memory. If I'm not mistaken, he's usually the  character  that is seemed the most well-known for doing this. However, I was watching the episode  Tabula Rasa earlier today, and in the beginning of the episode Morgan takes a major risk to his life to save the unsub. Probably a more serious risk to his life than Reid took during elephant's memory, considering Reid told Emily to shoot if necessary. Morgan was even crying in the scene after he failed to save the unsub. Since this was a flashback, I do wonder if they had Morgan cry to show how he toughened up and became desensitized the longer he was on the job. Im not sure how long Morgan was in the BAU for before Reid joined. 

I just thought it was interesting because I don't think I recall people talking about Morgan risking his life for unsubs before, but I could be mistaken. I'm sure there were also many, many more times that Morgan/other team members risked their life for an unsub but I just can't remember. It is obviously a goal of the BAU to try to do their utmost best to save the life of the unsub, and I would say they all take it very seriously. In the BAU, a life is a life. 

Of course, Reid did go way off protocol to save Owen ( and honestly probably should've been fired!) but I don't think Morgan is supposed to put his life in extreme danger to save an unsub ( or anyone for that matter) either. 

14 hours ago, Haleysgalaxy said:

I hope this is an okay place for this-

I have noticed that people often talk about Reid risking his life for unsubs, particularly in Elephant's Memory. If I'm not mistaken, he's usually the  character  that is seemed the most well-known for doing this. However, I was watching the episode  Tabula Rasa earlier today, and in the beginning of the episode Morgan takes a major risk to his life to save the unsub. Probably a more serious risk to his life than Reid took during elephant's memory, considering Reid told Emily to shoot if necessary. Morgan was even crying in the scene after he failed to save the unsub. Since this was a flashback, I do wonder if they had Morgan cry to show how he toughened up and became desensitized the longer he was on the job. Im not sure how long Morgan was in the BAU for before Reid joined. 

I just thought it was interesting because I don't think I recall people talking about Morgan risking his life for unsubs before, but I could be mistaken. I'm sure there were also many, many more times that Morgan/other team members risked their life for an unsub but I just can't remember. It is obviously a goal of the BAU to try to do their utmost best to save the life of the unsub, and I would say they all take it very seriously. In the BAU, a life is a life. 

Of course, Reid did go way off protocol to save Owen ( and honestly probably should've been fired!) but I don't think Morgan is supposed to put his life in extreme danger to save an unsub ( or anyone for that matter) either. 

I dont think Morgan risked his life to save the unsub... he took a risk to catch him as far as I remember. He was very upset though when the unsub fell from the roof.

I think we talk about Reid doing that more is because of his empathy with the unsubs and he empathises a lot more than the other team members.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, ReidGirl said:

I dont think Morgan risked his life to save the unsub... he took a risk to catch him as far as I remember. He was very upset though when the unsub fell from the roof.

I think we talk about Reid doing that more is because of his empathy with the unsubs and he empathises a lot more than the other team members.

The unsub was hanging from the roof with only his fingertips after jumping from another building during the chase,and then Morgan said something along the lines of " hang on man I'm coming!" He then immediately took an extremely risky jump ( the same one the unsub took). I interpreted the scene as Morgan taking an extreme risk to keep the unsub from dying. While he had an obligation to try to save the unsub (due to his job) he could have done it in a way that didn't endanger himself. He could have gotten to the roof, or order the other team members to get to tne roof, in a safe way instead of jumping. It would have been too late to save the unsub, but he would have been following protocol. He knew that it would be too late so instead took the very risky jump. The unsub would have died if Morgam didn't take the jump, not get away. 

At least that's how I interpret it. I guess it's possible the unsub could have crawled up and then proceeded to get away, but it really seemed to me like there was no chance of that happening. 

Morgan was also very frequently on takedowns, where he wold try his best to talk the unsub down. This required empathy for the unsub. 

I'm not trying to downplay Reid at all, he's my favorite character by far! I just think some of the characters do a lot of the things that Reid gets praise for but just not as much deal is made about it ( on the actual show) so the fandom doesn't really seem to acknowledge it. Which isn't a big deal, this is a fictional world with fictional characters. I just thought it would be interesting to point out.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleysgalaxy said:

The unsub was hanging from the roof with only his fingertips after jumping from another building during the chase,and then Morgan said something along the lines of " hang on man I'm coming!" He then immediately took an extremely risky jump ( the same one the unsub took). I interpreted the scene as Morgan taking an extreme risk to keep the unsub from dying. While he had an obligation to try to save the unsub (due to his job) he could have done it in a way that didn't endanger himself. He could have gotten to the roof, or order the other team members to get to tne roof, in a safe way instead of jumping. It would have been too late to save the unsub, but he would have been following protocol. He knew that it would be too late so instead took the very risky jump. The unsub would have died if Morgam didn't take the jump, not get away. 

At least that's how I interpret it. I guess it's possible the unsub could have crawled up and then proceeded to get away, but it really seemed to me like there was no chance of that happening. 

Morgan was also very frequently on takedowns, where he wold try his best to talk the unsub down. This required empathy for the unsub. 

I'm not trying to downplay Reid at all, he's my favorite character by far! I just think some of the characters do a lot of the things that Reid gets praise for but just not as much deal is made about it ( on the actual show) so the fandom doesn't really seem to acknowledge it. Which isn't a big deal, this is a fictional world with fictional characters. I just thought it would be interesting to point out.

Yup I agree that other characters do empathise as well but I just think Reid does it a lot more or may be I am being partial as he is my favourite character.

Also I mainly watch Tabula Rasa for Hotch and Reid court scenes. I just love those two in this episode. So I just tend to ignore Morgan in this episode.

I have to remind myself about Reid being a fictional character and not to obsess over him so much ;)

(edited)
1 hour ago, ReidGirl said:

Also I mainly watch Tabula Rasa for Hotch and Reid court scenes. I just love those two in this episode. So I just tend to ignore Morgan in this episode.

Oh, I know what you mean! The whole reason why I was surprised by the scene is because the previous times I watched it Morgan may as all have not existed for all the attention I payed to him. 

Also, I don't think Morgan empathized with the unsub in the beginning scene, just put his life at risk to save the unsub ( risking your life for an unsub you have no empathy for is very heroic, I would say) . I do think Morgan can empathize with unsubs due to his training in talking them down. However, I agree that he probably doesn't empathize with some of them to the extent that Reid can.

The BAU must be a very hard place to be. 

I also wonder if MGG's acting is a reason why Reid's emotions tend to be so potent and discussed among the fandom.

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Haleysgalaxy said:

I also wonder if MGG's acting is a reason why Reid's emotions tend to be so potent and discussed among the fandom.

Ohh that is a definite yes. MGG's acting plays a big part in Reid's charm. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, qwerty said:

Also a little off topic, but did the font size in this forum get smaller? 

It did, and it looks a little bit different too. The font size can be changed, go to the bottom of the page and choose "font size L". I don't know if you have to do this every time you visit the forum , I'm still trying it.

And by the way, thanks for the statistics about word  counts. 

• Love 1

I posted this in response to a post in Stephen Walker's topic, but it fits better here.

On 6/12/2017 at 8:18 PM, Hotchgirl18 said:

And less torture porn.

That's why I stopped watching the show a few seasons ago.  That, and that the show stopped delving into the minds of the criminals (hence, "Criminal Minds") in order to find/catch them.  Also revealing to the audience the unsub right away with no development whatsoever.  Wash, rinse, repeat, every episode.  But yeah, I could no longer take the "torture porn".

• Love 1

In every episode, the search for the killer's 'stressors' and 'triggers'. They search for common victimology to give them an idea of his motivational thought patterns and preferences, and then go after the 'why' of his methodology. How is that not looking into the UnSub's mind? 

I'm aware that people get attached to buzzwords, though I wish they'd be taken more literally, sometimes. 

• Love 1
On 2017-6-7 at 8:26 AM, Haleysgalaxy said:

While he had an obligation to try to save the unsub (due to his job) he could have done it in a way that didn't endanger himself.

That may be true, but Morgan has always done things "his way". In "Empty Planet", he defied a direct order from Hotch in order to hold the woman's hand while the bomb squad removed the bomb from her car. Later, Gideon would praise Morgan for his efforts.

So I'm thinking that, somewhere along the line, Morgan got enough trust from Hotch to pull off risky manoeuvres just because he's capable and trustworthy enough to pull them off.

59 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

That may be true, but Morgan has always done things "his way". In "Empty Planet", he defied a direct order from Hotch in order to hold the woman's hand while the bomb squad removed the bomb from her car. Later, Gideon would praise Morgan for his efforts.

So I'm thinking that, somewhere along the line, Morgan got enough trust from Hotch to pull off risky manoeuvres just because he's capable and trustworthy enough to pull them off.

Oh I totally agree. I don't think he was defying orders or that he should have been reprimanded. I was saying that Morgan took an unnecessary risk to save the unsubs life. He couldn't just leave the unsub hanging there without trying to get him help of course, but he absolutely was not obligated to take that same fatal jump that the  unsub did. But Morgan knew that if he didn't the unsub would for sure die, so he took the risk.

I was just trying to highlight a time when Morgan risked his life for an unsub, since everybody always talks about Reid doing it but never Morgan.

40 minutes ago, Willowy said:

Check it out! Posted by @wednightgirls on twitter! GO, CM!!

cW1CMiL.jpg

I wonder how they did this - because several of those shows are not available on Netflix outside of the US. Is this only American streaming, or worldwide for shows like Stranger Things but for other shows only in the countries they are streamed in?