Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds Analysis: Profile The Show

• Start Topic

I tend to think the uptick in ratings is more of a return to normal, because last week was baseball playoffs and hurricane coverage. If I had to guess, I think the ratings will stay reasonably constant, meaning there won't be a huge drop in ratings because of Thomas's departure, but there isn't likely to be a huge spike due to Paget's return. 

I can only speak for myself but I wasn't missing Hotch this week. But he hasn't been a hugely relevant presence for me for a couple seasons. If I can continue to like some other shows, even after my favorite character has departed, I can keep watching Criminal Minds without Hotch. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

Ratings are in, and the first Hotchless episode was actually up considerably on last week!

http://tvline.com/2016/10/13/lethal-weapon-ratings-season-1-fox/

'(8.3 mil vs 7.7 mil) and in the demo (1.7 vs 1.4)'

So much for 'No Hotch, no watch'.

In fact I had expected something like this. A lot of people are curious about the way Hotch's story is going to finish, so they will tune in and watch, some more people wanted to see the return of Prentiss. Will the ratings keep? We'll see. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, senin said:

In fact I had expected something like this. A lot of people are curious about the way Hotch's story is going to finish, so they will tune in and watch, some more people wanted to see the return of Prentiss. Will the ratings keep? We'll see. 

Yes, I heard that the same thing happened on Greys after McDreamy bit the dust. People who had checked out before want to see what's going on when they hear of a change.

Anyway, I'm relieved because while it's gone a little downhill, I still don't want this show to end yet.

• Love 1

Thank you, Qwerty!  I have no idea how you do this, but I am very glad that you do.

The disturbing trend for me is the preponderance of Garcia and Alvez.  In every episode, according to Qwerty's data, Garcia is more prominent than Reid, and Alvez is as well in all but three.  I guess the way TPTB choose to placate Reid fans is to give him one or two big eps per season (Entropy last year comes to mind) -- then they can shuffle him back into his corner, where no one knows how to develop or write for his character.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Droogie said:

Thank you, Qwerty!  I have no idea how you do this, but I am very glad that you do.

The disturbing trend for me is the preponderance of Garcia and Alvez.  In every episode, according to Qwerty's data, Garcia is more prominent than Reid, and Alvez is as well in all but three.  I guess the way TPTB choose to placate Reid fans is to give him one or two big eps per season (Entropy last year comes to mind) -- then they can shuffle him back into his corner, where no one knows how to develop or write for his character.  

Yes, my hat is off to Qwerty, too, for all of this easy to read and decipher statistic goodness.

And yes, way too much Garcia and Alvez dialogue, and most of it wasted on silly, childish Garcia whining and Alvez trying to reason with us. Nick and Nora Charles, they ain't.

As for Reid the limited grasp on his character (or maybe disinterest)...there are quite a few fan fiction writers who can write for Reid and doing him justice both in his dialogue and his inner-thoughts and ideas. You would think CM could find an actual script writer who could do the same. For the most part, I give CMs' writers a lot of credit. I bet it is hugely challenging to write script after script week after week coming up with powerful episodes that are entertaining and need to use a stable of various characters. I often wonder if I could handle such a challenge. Heck, I'm having difficulty coming up with my second chapter for my fan fic; right now it's just an idea brewing in my brain.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

Asta

There was also a TV show that was clearly based on Nick and Nora Charles. Can anyone name it?

On-topic: Reid may have not said a whole lot in this episode, but when he did those words meant something. Plus, we got to see his beautiful hands diffuse the unsub's intricate killing device.

And I can't remember a damn thing JJ said in this ep.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Yes, my hat is off to Qwerty, too, for all of this easy to read and decipher statistic goodness.

And yes, way too much Garcia and Alvez dialogue, and most of it wasted on silly, childish Garcia whining and Alvez trying to reason with us. Nick and Nora Charles, they ain't.

As for Reid the limited grasp on his character (or maybe disinterest)...there are quite a few fan fiction writers who can write for Reid and doing him justice both in his dialogue and his inner-thoughts and ideas. You would think CM could find an actual script writer who could do the same. For the most part, I give CMs' writers a lot of credit. I bet it is hugely challenging to write script after script week after week coming up with powerful episodes that are entertaining and need to use a stable of various characters. I often wonder if I could handle such a challenge. Heck, I'm having difficulty coming up with my second chapter for my fan fic; right now it's just an idea brewing in my brain.

While I like Garcia and Alvez chemistry, and I get what they're trying to do by introduce him as non-threatening? They can tone it down now, we get it. Their dynamic will be faux-adversarial. 

The rest of your post? <3 <3 <3

• Love 1
10 hours ago, qwerty said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I should keep track of? 

OMG sounds ambitious.

how much coffee/drink of your choice is it gonna take to get you through all this!?

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:59 PM, Bookish Jen said:

There was also a TV show that was clearly based on Nick and Nora Charles. Can anyone name it?

On-topic: Reid may have not said a whole lot in this episode, but when he did those words meant something. Plus, we got to see his beautiful hands diffuse the unsub's intricate killing device.

And I can't remember a damn thing JJ said in this ep.

Was it Hart To Hart starring Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers ?

10 hours ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

Not sure where this goes. Maybe the mods can help move it if need be? But, do y'all have favorite Criminal Minds moments?

This is a fine place for it :) 

I've always loved the scene in Amplification where he's recording the message for his Mom. No matter how many scores of times I've watched that episode it gets me in the feels every time! As does the end of Mosely Lane where the father learns his son was still alive as recently as the day before. And pretty much the whole of Revelations. I could go on - mostly about the early episodes. But I also love the end of Mr Scratch with Hotch's haunted face looking straight down the camera.

• Love 6

These are great, Old dog! 

I thought of that moment in Mr. Scratch when Hotch and Rossi are interviewing the woman who thinks she a four-year-old, and they start burning the sage. She freaks out and starts screaming that Mr. Scratch is "coming! He's coming!" and she's scratching her face and flinching until all of a sudden, she stops. And she whispers,

"He's here!" 

Chills my soul every time.

• Love 5

wow, all the ones mentioned already!

And Elephant's Memory, the exchange about bullying between Morgan and Reid; about being stripped bare and humiliated just like their unsub and how it must have felt reliving it again.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

So, if you had to choose, what would be your favorite CM moment

Only one!! Impossible task for me!!

All the ones mentioned above, but I could add a lot more. For example, the hug between Hotch and Reid in Revelations, Physics Magic, Hotch profiling the team at the end of season 2... 

Old Dog mentioned the message from Reid to his mum in Amplifications, By a strange coincidence, I watched that scene shortly after watching Spencer . The combination of both was... I just can't find the adjective. 

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, normasm said:

These are great, Old dog! 

I thought of that moment in Mr. Scratch when Hotch and Rossi are interviewing the woman who thinks she a four-year-old, and they start burning the sage. She freaks out and starts screaming that Mr. Scratch is "coming! He's coming!" and she's scratching her face and flinching until all of a sudden, she stops. And she whispers,

"He's here!" 

Chills my soul every time.

Any moment in Mr. Scratch is my favorite. Gets me every time!

Bloodline. Hotch interrogating that woman in bloodline. Period.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, senin said:

Old Dog mentioned the message from Reid to his mum in Amplifications, By a strange coincidence, I watched that scene shortly after watching Spencer . The combination of both was... I just can't find the adjective. 

heartrending?

• Love 2

I also love the bit in Damaged where Reid talks his way out of a sticky situation and saves Hotch - although part of me would have liked seeing Hotch going for it with Chester Hardwick. I was quite excited when he ripped off his tie!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

heartrending?

Thanks!! This ongoing struggle with a language which is not your own!!

1 minute ago, Old Dog said:

I also love the bit in Damaged where Reid talks his way out of a sticky situation and saves Hotch - although part of me would have liked seeing Hotch going for it with Chester Hardwick. I was quite excited when he ripped off his tie!

And a lot of us would have loved it if he had taken off his shirt!!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, senin said:

Thanks!! This ongoing struggle with a language which is not your own!!

And a lot of us would have loved it if he had taken off his shirt!!

*sniffle* on a related note, I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see the taking his shirt off portion of Spencer's strip search.

oh!

that reminds me of another favourite moment, in Amplification: Reid comes out of Dr Whatzit's house into the decontam tent they have set up and tells Morgan, who's determined to stay there with Reid. Reid tells him "I'm about to get naked so they can hose me down. Is that something you really wanna see?"  the reactions:  Morgan: <<concurring look on face>> // The rest of us: "YES! Yes, it is!!"

• Love 5

back to best moments....did anyone already mention the whole lawyer getting profiled in Tabula Rasa already? (I don't see it listed) I love the way Hotch just ripped that guy to shreds, down to his matching charcoal grey socks. That was a scene of beauty.

• Love 4

Thank you for mentioning this one !! I thought about it when I was  listing some of my favourites, and I forgot to include it.  I absolutely love it . 

• Love 1

I've always liked Morgan's last line to Reid in "Conflicted": "You're gonna have to accept the fact that sometimes we can't save everyone".

Then Rossi telling Hotch in "Omnivore", "that's not your conscience talking, that's your ego".

Really helps put a lot of things in perspective.

• Love 3

"You sound like a fortune cookie."

There are thousands of memorable moments in CM over the years -- all the ones mentioned above and so many more. Most of the ones I love most would involve Reid (surprise), but I loved Hotch's deadpan delivery when he said this line. It was just perfect.  

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Droogie said:

"You sound like a fortune cookie."

There are thousands of memorable moments in CM over the years -- all the ones mentioned above and so many more. Most of the ones I love most would involve Reid (surprise), but I loved Hotch's deadpan delivery when he said this line. It was just perfect.  

"What? Did you join a boyband?" Perfect. 

• Love 4

Aaron's washing of Elle's wall, his underwater kill shot, and him holding hands with Megan as she dies are 3 Hotchner favorites that were amazing.

Spencer's talkdown of Owen, his distraction of Hardwick, and his cajoling of Samantha are 3 Reid moments that I'll never forget. And there are many others.

Emily's "I've got a glock leveled at your crotch", her dogged pursuit of the murderous priest, and her rejection of Strauss's agenda are 3 powerful examples.

JJ taking out Penelope's shooter, her restraint yet conflict in Amplification, and her talking down of the Prince of Darkness were 3 personal highlights. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

"What? Did you join a boyband?" Perfect. 

What makes it even better is that Thomas Gibson ad-libbed that line. Matthew Gray Gubler had just got a haircut and wanted to surprise the set, so he walked in as Reid with his hair cut and filmed the team's genuine reactions to the haircut, since they were seeing it for the first time.

• Love 6

those ad libbed moments are so awesome. I loved the one in "Gatekeeper" too, Rossi's cajoling everyone to join him up on stage ("If you think I'm doing this without backup, you're nuts!") . Reid, JJ and Garcia comply immediately, Morgan less immediately and Blake--completely in character--does/will not. And what does Hotchner do?  Well, obviously he's not going to join them either, that's just not him, but, he whips out his iPhone and records the moment. I thought that was just a brilliant ad lib moment by Thomas Gibson. And so did the director. Not only did they use it, there was also a reaction shot of Hotch smiling as he watched his team unwind. I just thought it was a lovely moment to what could have been an otherwise silly kind of ending for the episode.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

those ad libbed moments are so awesome. I loved the one in "Gatekeeper" too, Rossi's cajoling everyone to join him up on stage ("If you think I'm doing this without backup, you're nuts!") . Reid, JJ and Garcia comply immediately, Morgan less immediately and Blake--completely in character--does/will not. And what does Hotchner do?  Well, obviously he's not going to join them either, that's just not him, but, he whips out his iPhone and records the moment. I thought that was just a brilliant ad lib moment by Thomas Gibson. And so did the director. Not only did they use it, there was also a reaction shot of Hotch smiling as he watched his team unwind. I just thought it was a lovely moment to what could have been an otherwise silly kind of ending for the episode.

That director is pretty darn good.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2017 at 7:45 PM, Old Dog said:

aaaah I wanted that too Old Dog, I wanted it sooo bad

and his chat with Reid later in the car, that was awesome too

this subplot was a real panty dropper, I edited their scenes to rewatch only Hotch and Reid part 

• Love 2
(edited)

Just now was reminded of a favorite moment (that I've mentioned here before). In Heathridge Manor, at the very end, when the delusional Laura goes to open the door, and we see her left hand reach for the door, it's not her stiff prosthetic hand, it's a real hand. And when the Devil asks her to come with him, he offers his gloved hand, and she puts her perfectly normal hand in his. Then the next shot is long, we see in the doorway Laura and her stiff, prosthetic hand held out, as if to someone she's seeing, but no one is there. "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" plays us out. I love that moment. Subtle directing, little twist of Matthew at the end.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 4