Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 Starts June 4!

• Start Topic

I wish Alton Brown would come back. As a "dish," the judging team of Bobby and Giada are incomplete. As Alex Guarnaschelli would say, it needs more acid. AB brought the acid.

Still watching every ep, of course.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 5

Not the best picture but I don't immediately recognize 70% of the cast from prior FN shows.  They only one who looks familiar is the bald guy who looks like the most recent Holiday Baking Championship winner.

• Love 1

Apparently, they seem to have done a better job choosing the contestants. Most of them have great credentials and at least nobody looks like its going to serve as comic reliever or drama queen/king. There's Comeback Kitchen for that. They have to restore credibility and seriousness to FNS. Ratings have been going down since Season 8 and they turned the show mostly into a joke.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, Gbb said:

I wish Alton Brown would come back. As a "dish," the judging team of Bobby and Giada are incomplete. As Alex Guarnaschelli would say, it needs more acid. AB brought the acid.

Still watching every ep, of course.

Perfectly stated!  

In the pic in the first post, the woman on the far right is the only one sitting on a stool and the heavy woman on the far left is standing away from the others.  Odd. 

• Love 2

Much as I enjoy kvetching about this show, I'm happy to see it's back.  The thing about this concept is that all the participants want to be media darlings, so we can feel free to snark on them without guilt.

That, and Sunday nights have been a desert on FN lately.

I agree with the Bring Back Alton movement.  They need a 3rd to limit the Bobby-Giada back and forth.  (I'd better be careful what I wish for from recent judge pools - Melissa D'Arabian has been absent from GGG for quite awhile now.  Graham Elliott is shilling infomercial-style cookware.  Can Justin Warner be far behind?)

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Much as I enjoy kvetching about this show, I'm happy to see it's back.  The thing about this concept is that all the participants want to be media darlings, so we can feel free to snark on them without guilt.

I agree with the Bring Back Alton movement.  They need a 3rd to limit the Bobby-Giada back and forth.  (I'd better be careful what I wish for from recent judge pools - Melissa D'Arabian has been absent from GGG for quite awhile now.  Graham Elliott is shilling infomercial-style cookware.  Can Justin Warner be far behind?)

Oh god, do not put your thoughts in print like this!  Bad juju.  

This show needs Alton, I agree.  Or Alex G.  

• Love 3

I love Alton. Flew with him on Delta to LAX, from ATL, loved every minute.....sigh.....

I will be rooting for Corey, he's a great guy who's not looking to be a celebrity but wants to bring his Louisana cuisine to the world. It's good!!

• Love 1
On 4/22/2017 at 8:06 PM, spiderpig said:

Justin was on the new DDD

On 4/22/2017 at 8:37 PM, cooksdelight said:

I will be rooting for Corey, he's a great guy who's not looking to be a celebrity but wants to bring his Louisana cuisine to the world. It's good!!

In that case, with the new management's proclivity to promote style (celebrities) over substance (chefs), I don't see Cory pulling a win out but I hope I'm wrong.

Meet the Season 13 Finalists

I recognized two from previous competitions.  Cory Bahr competed and won on Chopped (2012). and Jason Smith, as stated in the synopsis, competed and won the Holiday Bakiing Championship.  Jason's theme on his season was being the first non-professional baker to win.  Other than these two, none ring a bell.

Addie, 30, has always been book smart and driven. The valedictorian of her culinary school, Addie has built an impressive resume at such a young age, including stints working for iconic names such as Daniel Boulud, Thomas Keller and Martha Stewart. She is currently the culinary director for a lifestyle publishing company, in addition to publishing her own food blog and cookbooks focusing on easy, elegant and entertaining dishes. Proud of the accomplishments she has made, Addie is ready for her next challenge — being a Food Network Star

I predict she'll be this season's diva/ball-buster. 

Three Cajun/Louisiana chefs?

6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I predict she'll be this season's diva/ball-buster. 

Yeah, those profiles look like they provide heavy hints as to how the contestants will be edited. 

On 4/17/2017 at 7:46 PM, MerBearHou said:

Oh no...are Bobby and Giada co-hosting again?  UGH.

My sentiments exactly. I can't stand either of them...separately or together. Flay and his huge ego and Giada who probably runs on the treadmill for 10 hours after she's eaten one raisin. They're both so fake. But I really like this series.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Psychobunny said:

I saw an ad for this year's comeback kitchen. What do I have to do to get Matthew off my TV screen for good?????

The "#hashtag" guy is back..? Thanks for the heads-up..fingers crossed he's gone by like say,the first or second episode

3 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I saw an ad for this year's comeback kitchen. What do I have to do to get Matthew off my TV screen for good?????

Ugh, I saw that Rob Burmeister and Danushka are back too!

12 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

11 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I probably can't answer that as there are strict laws about interstate crimes.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

My sentiments exactly. I can't stand either of them...separately or together. Flay and his huge ego and Giada who probably runs on the treadmill for 10 hours after she's eaten one raisin. They're both so fake. But I really like this series.

Well they are better than Anne Burrell and many others that could be there.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Well they are better than Anne Burrell and many others that could be there.  

You asked for it, wings:

melissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabian

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

You asked for it, wings:

melissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabianmelissad'arabian

HA! sunnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsynnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsynnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsynnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsunnyandersonsynnyanderson.

I really don't want to take the time to do more but,  kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee kathyleekathyleekathylee

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

As judges? Because they certainly are not part of the new crop of contestants.

The ad I saw made it seem that only one of them gets to come back and join the new contestants.  If it's #Matthew I don't think I can stand to watch.  What deal with the devil did that dude make?

Edited by Earl Is Dead
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Danushka posted something about going to L.A., TV, but wouldn't tell us what it was all about.

Probably to start filming for Food Network Comeback.  

• Love 2

You guys are killin' it with the judges we don't want and I agree with all of your judge rejects. 

Is Kathy Lee that woman on "the kitchen" with zacharian, sunny, spanish lady and sandwich man? If so, I couldn't agree more. She is sooo boring. I sometimes take Benadryl if I can't sleep at night and I sometimes take that dark haired anorexic woman from "The Kitchen" to go to sleep. Lol!

I don't know every chef that is on FN but of the ones I am familiar with..I would be ok with Alex Guarnichelli(I'm sure I screwed up that spelling!) Aaron Sanchez, Richard Blaise. Many others I can't recall their names. But I just think it's time for Flay and Giada to step down. I mean c'mon FN, bring us some fresh new judges. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I probably can't answer that as there are strict laws about interstate crimes.

Someone at FN knows how to do it. Remember Chef Lenny He Who Shall Not Be Named?

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Someone at FN knows how to do it. Remember Chef Lenny He Who Shall Not Be Named?

Oh, our old buddy (censored).  You're sending me running to GoogleIsMyFriend to see what he's up to now.

I wonder what vetting process they had at the time that let him get as far as he did.

Re our poster boy Matthew, I guess we have to have somebody they'll string along for weeks, just to give the audience a thrill when he gets kicked to the rafters. This guy regenerates more than Dracula in a Hammer film.

I am friends with HeWhoShallNotBeNamed on Facebook. Yes, I am willing to admit among friends here that it was more out of curiosity than anything that led me there. He doesn't post much, he was on this weird "trip" where he'd Photoshop his face onto someone's body in a far off land. Then he posted himself singing a song for the woman he loved. 

Is Lenny the cowboy guy that won a season or two ago? I kind of liked that a person that was extremely different..looks and demeanor, won. Can't tell if he's a good cook cause I couldn't taste his food but I am so over most of these judges AND the contestants. It seems like the contestants are always a mix of the same  every time: the "hot"  blonde, the sexy Latino, the vegetarian, the chunky deep fried/comfort food cook.

But I just don't want to have to look at Giada and her 97 teeth with veneers. Let her start a FN cooking show with Julia Roberts...more teeth and more veneers. And barely any food! Lol. Giada can do recipes for cilantro. Just plain old cilantro. And if you eat more than one sprig.....hit the gym! 

5 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is Lenny the cowboy guy that won a season or two ago? I kind of liked that a person that was extremely different..looks and demeanor, won. Can't tell if he's a good cook cause I couldn't taste his food but I am so over most of these judges AND the contestants. It seems like the contestants are always a mix of the same  every time: the "hot"  blonde, the sexy Latino, the vegetarian, the chunky deep fried/comfort food cook.

Yeah, he was the guy that won in 2014 but soon disappeared because of some vulgar comments he made online and in videos.

6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Yeah, he was the guy that won in 2014 but soon disappeared because of some vulgar comments he made online and in videos.

What!!?? Lol! I'm headed over to Youtube!

23 hours ago, Earl Is Dead said:

The ad I saw made it seem that only one of them gets to come back and join the new contestants.  If it's #Matthew I don't think I can stand to watch.  What deal with the devil did that dude make?

When you sign on to FNS, you sign away your soul even if you lose.

• Love 2

Cooking segments always go sideways on Ellen and this one was good.  Never thought I would say that I loved Nicole here.  I usually find her dull; she was very cute "moving things along."  

• Love 1

Should the show be called "Food Network Southern Star" now? 8 of the 12 finalists are from the south. A really strange geographical distribution. Two contestants from Atlanta, but not a single one from California, or anywhere on the west coast  Or the northwest.  One contestant from the entire northeast. I guess the FN brass decided that those southern accents are just too adorable, and can't wait to find another Trisha Yearwood or Pioneer Woman. Three out of 12 chefs (25%) doing Cajun? Now there's some culinary diversity!

There is one contestant from Honolulu, but admittedly profiling based on her photo and bio, I don't imagine she will be doing much in the way of Hawaiian/Pacific Island cooking. Her bio says that she "specializes in elevating everyday foods." Now there's something I've never heard before.

(edited)

Food Network is missing Asian food.  I prefer Asian fusion or modern Asian but I would watch anything.  I never watch people cooking but since I am the least familiar I would.  I would rather have a heavy southern presence than Italian.   We are saturated with that. 

Edited by wings707
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Food Network is missing Asian food.  I prefer Asian fusion or modern Asian but I would watch anything.  I never watch people cooking but since I am the least familiar I would.  I would rather have a heavy southern presence than Italian.   We are saturated with that. 

Forgive me, I'm Italian American so this food is all tied up with my identity and culture and I could never tire of it.  Plus it's everywhere for a reason - people love it.  A lot of what is featured on TV isn't the best so that's my main complaint and one reason I like to stick to the "real deal" people like Lidia Bastianich for my Italian recipes.  Plus I don't see that much of it on FN anymore.  I do agree that the network needs more Asian, though.  I think there should be room for all kinds of cuisine on the networks.

On 5/9/2017 at 9:01 AM, chenoa333 said:

What!!?? Lol! I'm headed over to Youtube!

Unfortunately the one site that had the vulgar Lenny video up has since taken it down.  I have it on my computer, though, LOL.

• Love 1

I watched the first episode of Comeback Kitchen last night via Comcast's On Demand.  No spoilers, but I love Danushka even more than her first go-round. #Matthew appears to have finally matured a bit (emphasis on "a bit") , Jamika is good (I don't really remember her from her season), and the rest of the previously-ons are as annoying as they were on their respective seasons.  I love Valerie as a judge.  YMMV.

15 hours ago, wings707 said:

Vegan/vegetarian cuisine is also sorely missing. That's why I was pulling for Nikki Dinki in her season as even though she was still doing meat somewhat, it wasn't the main star. And now her show with the more TV pretty Dean brother appears to have disappeared sooo....

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Unfortunately the one site that had the vulgar Lenny video up has since taken it down.  I have it on my computer, though, LOL.

Yes, I found nothing worthy of reading or watching because I'm late to the party! I don't, as a rule, care about watching/listening to celebs talking vulgar but Lenny? I just think that would be hysterically funny given his whole persona of a "gentlemanly cowboy"! Lol!

I'm guessing after Lenny, they started doing a little more research on people applying for this show.

Then again, early in the series there was a guy who claimed he had been in the military and it proved to be a hoax. You'd think they would have learned from that.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2017 at 9:54 PM, Snarklepuss said:

Forgive me, I'm Italian American so this food is all tied up with my identity and culture and I could never tire of it.  Plus it's everywhere for a reason - people love it.  A lot of what is featured on TV isn't the best so that's my main complaint and one reason I like to stick to the "real deal" people like Lidia Bastianich for my Italian recipes.  Plus I don't see that much of it on FN anymore.  I do agree that the network needs more Asian, though.  I think there should be room for all kinds of cuisine on the networks.

No insult intended, sorry.  I am just looking to find cuisines that are new and different.  I can say the same thing for BBQ,  there is plenty of than on FN, too!  Vegetarian or Asian would be something for the, to add.  

• Love 2