Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 Starts June 4!

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, bluepiano said:

Her bio says that she "specializes in elevating everyday foods."

I want somebody who can levitate everyday foods, to fill in time until Penn and Teller and Battlebots come back.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 7:53 AM, xaxat said:

Interesting, when I go to that page it says the video is unavailable or I would have posted it.

Not to take credit for anything, but I was the "tipster" mentioned (and quoted) in the article.  This originally appeared in a now defunct foodie blog called "The Brasier" (now part of Medialite).  So I think I had something to do with his downfall, although it probably would have come out anyway.

• Love 6

I finally got a chance to look over the new contestants.  I am excited to see that Rusty from The Zac Brown Band is competing.  I can't wait to see what he can do.  

I am disappointed to see Gee-Ah-Da and her boyfriend returning though.

First time ever, I'm going to skip this Food Network Star series.  Can't stand the two judges any longer.  They are tolerable apart - for example,  I like Bobby's Brunch and when he does the Thanksgiving gathering with Food Network friends -- but for me, B and G are absolutely intolerable when they're together.  Plus I'm just not excited about a couple of the returning contestants.  After Lenny and Tregaye, this show has become a waste of time, IMO.  Bummer.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/11/2017 at 0:54 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Forgive me, I'm Italian American so this food is all tied up with my identity and culture and I could never tire of it.  Plus it's everywhere for a reason - people love it.  A lot of what is featured on TV isn't the best so that's my main complaint and one reason I like to stick to the "real deal" people like Lidia Bastianich for my Italian recipes.  Plus I don't see that much of it on FN anymore.  I do agree that the network needs more Asian, though.  I think there should be room for all kinds of cuisine on the networks.

I know it's your culture and you would never tire of it.  But I think the rest of us have, at least what's mostly represented on TV.  I know I have, including Lidia, although I will tune in when there's nothing else because she's so comforting.  Trends come, trends go.  When it's not your culture, you're looking for something different . . . and Italian no longer is.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:33 AM, Gbb said:

I wish Alton Brown would come back. As a "dish," the judging team of Bobby and Giada are incomplete. As Alex Guarnaschelli would say, it needs more acid. AB brought the acid.

Still watching every ep, of course.

Alton may have once brought the acid, but towards the end he just made the dish bitter.  I don't miss him.  I agree that Bobby and Giada need some counterbalance, though.

Edited by Aquarius
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I know it's your culture and you would never tire of it.  But I think the rest of us have, at least what's mostly represented on TV.  I know I have, including Lidia, although I will tune in when there's nothing else because she's so comforting.  Trends come, trends go.  When it's not your culture, you're looking for something different . . . and Italian no longer is.

I think Italian American food is far more than just a "trend" given that it's seen immense popularity in this country going back over 50 years or so now, so I respectfully disagree.  It's gone way beyond being the "cuisine of the moment" to being as ubiquitous and classic as the hamburger.  The average American consumes 46 slices of pizza in a year.  And that's just pizza, never mind other Italian American dishes!

It also depends on the part of the country too.  Italian American food is proportionately more popular in the Northeast than in other regions.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Question: Who is doing Italian on FN (or CC) these days beside Giada (and her food really branches out from traditional)? I remember a young vlogger who was doing Italian, but she seems to have disappeared. Just asking since some are asking why we would want more Italian.

• Love 2

Alton may have once brought the acid, but towards the end he just made the dish bitter.  I don't miss him.  I agree that Bobby and Giada need some counterbalance, though.

I agree.  Alton was great on Good Eats but now he seems to enjoy being acerbic and sometimes downright nasty.  He's become much too impressed with his own importance.  

I think there should always be three judges on competitions.  I wish FNS would get rid of Giada, keep Bobby and add Tyler and Valerie.  They all have good chemistry together.

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, mlp said:

I agree.  Alton was great on Good Eats but now he seems to enjoy being acerbic and sometimes downright nasty.  He's become much too impressed with his own importance.  

I think there should always be three judges on competitions.  I wish FNS would get rid of Giada, keep Bobby and add Tyler and Valerie.  They all have good chemistry together.

Keep Bobby and Valerie, dump Giada and Tyler (ugh),  add someone else. 

Edited by wings707

If Food Truck Race is replaced by Food Truck Rally (which is basically the same thing except different team each win as opposed to the same teams) then I'll want more Tyler on my TV and FNS would be a good vehicle for that.

9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I'd vote for Bobby, Valerie...and Emeril. I like him, he's a good judge of food, and he doesn't make those weird faces Giada and Tyler do.

I'm down for Bobby, Valerie, and Tyler, but I could go for that too. 

• Love 2
On 5/8/2017 at 0:13 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Ugh, I saw that Rob Burmeister and Danushka are back too!

Holy shit! His last name is Burmeister?! Lol. I know, there are hundreds of Burmeisters in America so I'm probably not related to him. (Praying).

I'm pretty certain that the winner of Comeback Kitchen will be Matt or the Jamaican lady. I'm just  glad that I don't have to look at Giada's 87 teeth (yet!)

On 5/24/2017 at 7:31 AM, cooksdelight said:

I'd vote for Bobby, Valerie...and Emeril. I like him, he's a good judge of food, and he doesn't make those weird faces Giada and Tyler do.

Emeril is the SWEETEST guy.  I absolutely adored him on Top Chef, as a judge, and particularly as a host for the New Orleans season.  Taking the contestants out on the town, bringing them beignets, etc.   He even had one of the chefs calling him "Uncle Emeril".  Emeril Lagasse is the MOST GENUINE chef on television.  I faithfully watch his Emeril's Florida, even though this season is not as nearly as good as the first two.

14 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Holy shit! His last name is Burmeister?! Lol. I know, there are hundreds of Burmeisters in America so I'm probably not related to him. (Praying).

I'm pretty certain that the winner of Comeback Kitchen will be Matt or the Jamaican lady. I'm just  glad that I don't have to look at Giada's 87 teeth (yet!)

I know they're going to merge my last comment, which is totally unrelated to this one.  Your Giada comment had me LOL'ing.

My father was a real jerk.  Someone we knew quite well didn't care for him either, and used to refer to my dad & my step mom as "88 and his brother" (because the step-witch used to always cut her hair very short and wear the same combo's of t's & shorts as my dad). 

88 as in the number of keys on a piano.  I almost spit my wine when I read your comment!!!!!  I'm still laughing.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

My father was a real jerk.  Someone we knew quite well didn't care for him either, and used to refer to my dad & my step mom as "88 and his brother" (because the step-witch used to always cut her hair very short and wear the same combo's of t's & shorts as my dad). 

Hysterical!   

• Love 2
On 5/8/2017 at 2:55 PM, chenoa333 said:

You guys are killin' it with the judges we don't want and I agree with all of your judge rejects. 

Is Kathy Lee that woman on "the kitchen" with zacharian, sunny, spanish lady and sandwich man? If so, I couldn't agree more. She is sooo boring. I sometimes take Benadryl if I can't sleep at night and I sometimes take that dark haired anorexic woman from "The Kitchen" to go to sleep. Lol!

I don't know every chef that is on FN but of the ones I am familiar with..I would be ok with Alex Guarnichelli(I'm sure I screwed up that spelling!) Aaron Sanchez, Richard Blaise. Many others I can't recall their names. But I just think it's time for Flay and Giada to step down. I mean c'mon FN, bring us some fresh new judges. 

Her name is actually Katie Lee, not Kathy. She's Billy Joel's 3rd ex-wife (between Christie Brinkley & the woman he had a daughter with & married a year or so ago). Spanish lady is Marcela Valladolid, who's actually Mexican & seems like she's off The Kitchen more often than not because she lives in California (the show films in NYC), & has gotten pregnant & been on lengthy maternity leaves--because of travel reasons--twice since the show started (she had her 3rd child, a girl, towards the end of last year; she also has 2 boys, 1 from a previous relationship). The sandwich man is Jeff Mauro, the last really successful Food Network Star winner.

Thank you BW Manilowe. I'm quite fascinated by Katie Lee being Billy Joel's 3rd wife! And I had no idea BJ had any kids other than the daughter he had with Christy Brinkley. I think her (Christy's child with BJ) is named Alexa or Alexis. Katie Lee gives me the impression that she's (off screen) boring, anorexic, and conceited. Ok....she's all those things "on screen" too.

22 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Her name is actually Katie Lee, not Kathy. She's Billy Joel's 3rd ex-wife (between Christie Brinkley & the woman he had a daughter with & married a year or so ago). 

Wasn't she the host of the first season of Top Chef? Kinda like the Brian Dunkleman of the food competition world.

I started out liking Katie Lee, but that didn't last long.  I should appreciate her because when she's on, I get the best night's sleep I ever get.  Poor Little Rich Girl in her multi-million dollar beachfront house on Long Island needed a job to appear respectable, so FN snatched her up.  I couldn't believe Bobby Flay invited her to his Thanksgiving show, and he's very particular about who he has on it.

Last I read, Giada was hooking up with a guy who works behind the scenes at FN.  The fact that he's married didn't deter her, and now he's divorcing.  Are they still together?  Once the press got ahold of the story, Giada clammed up.  Can't wait to see her down-to-the-navel wardrobe this time around.  Bobby can't get enough of sitting up straight and peering down for a peek every two minutes.  I wish they'd can her!!!  The only contestants she likes are male and Italian.  She's going to develop a twitch from all the winking she does at them.

• Love 2

Katie Lee is like nails on a chalk board.  I hope that she is not involved this season.

And Giada is a sad soul.  She will one day be the little old lady tottering about on her high heels, all overly made up because her appearance is all she's got.  She won't realize that ship has sailed.  I guess she will still be able to wear her low cut clothes though.  Her fake chest isn't going anywhere, lol.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, wings707 said:

Keep Bobby and Valerie, dump Giada and Tyler (ugh),  add someone else.

How about Richard Blaise? (just kidding)

Antonia Lafaso is an excellent judge from what I saw on Cutthroat Kitchen and Joe B's short lived show.  She is genuine and I don't get that vibe from Tosi or Giada.  They both present a TV personality.   Tyler is humorless and dull, so is Graham.  There are so many chefs out there who would be better than Tyler, Giada and Tosi. 

• Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 9:14 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Her name is actually Katie Lee, not Kathy. She's Billy Joel's 3rd ex-wife (between Christie Brinkley & the woman he had a daughter with & married a year or so ago). Spanish lady is Marcela Valladolid, who's actually Mexican & seems like she's off The Kitchen more often than not because she lives in California (the show films in NYC), & has gotten pregnant & been on lengthy maternity leaves--because of travel reasons--twice since the show started (she had her 3rd child, a girl, towards the end of last year; she also has 2 boys, 1 from a previous relationship). The sandwich man is Jeff Mauro, the last really successful Food Network Star winner.

Damaris and Eddie would like a word with you...

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 2:55 PM, chenoa333 said:

You guys are killin' it with the judges we don't want and I agree with all of your judge rejects. 

Is Kathy Lee that woman on "the kitchen" with zacharian, sunny, spanish lady and sandwich man? If so, I couldn't agree more. She is sooo boring. I sometimes take Benadryl if I can't sleep at night and I sometimes take that dark haired anorexic woman from "The Kitchen" to go to sleep. Lol!

I don't know every chef that is on FN but of the ones I am familiar with..I would be ok with Alex Guarnichelli(I'm sure I screwed up that spelling!) Aaron Sanchez, Richard Blaise. Many others I can't recall their names. But I just think it's time for Flay and Giada to step down. I mean c'mon FN, bring us some fresh new judges. 

You mean Katie Lee?

Yes I did mean Katie Lee! NOT Kathy Lee although Kathy Lee (Griffin) would be more interesting! I do love Jeff the sandwich man. Flay and Giada do NOT compliment each other as judges, in any aspect. And I'm sick of Matthew and his big lips and arrogance. I would hate watch him for an episode or two. But that's it.