Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: The Masters

Upon learning that Tiger Woods is half Thai, Louis and Jessica get inspired to groom Eddie and Evan into becoming the next great Asian golf prodigies. Jessica believes that a strict, rigorous training regimen is the recipe for success, while Louis thinks a more relaxed approach will yield stronger results. They put their differing parenting styles to the test and make a bet to see who can develop the better golfer. Meanwhile, Emery wants to publicize the fact that Tiger Woods is half Asian.

That ending to the golf plot was a little weird, didn't seem there was any resolution or lessons learned. Not that Jessica or Louis' styles were "right" or "wrong" in the first place, guess it was more Jessica accepting that different styles of parenting are OK.

I do like the flashes of change within the characters this season. It's like the first two seasons were used to establish certain personality traits so that they can slowly be changed in later seasons. This episode it was Evan actually resenting Jessica, albeit in a rather comedic way. 

• Love 1

I'm trying to remember when the whole "Cablinasian" thing became big. I think that was when most people realized that he was part Asian.

I liked when Eddie told Evan to start punching himself, after he immediately blurted everything out to Jessica. I don't think I would have been able to resist hitting him, either.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'm trying to remember when the whole "Cablinasian" thing became big. I think that was when most people realized that he was part Asian.

I don't feel like it was right away. I remember him talking about it on Oprah but I don't think that happened until a little while after The Masters. Certainly not in the two weeks right after when this all took place. (And I could be wildly wrong about this since I was Eddie's age at the time this happened and I'm working from memory but I do remember seeing him on Oprah which I watched every day after school.)

I really liked that Louis was able to bring out the good in both Eddie and Evan. Eddie can hit the ball and Evan has a great short game and Louis found those things out by doing more than just drilling the kids. But I was glad that Jessica also found some merit in her style too, because no matter how naturally talented someone is, you're never getting to Tiger's level without constant practice and discipline. The fact that neither Eddie or Evan were really that bothered by Jessica's game made it okay for me; she wasn't mean, just pushy. I worried at the start of it, she'd be mean. I also adored Evan being mad that Jessica ditched him. He is the most devoted child so it's nice when he pushes back.

• Love 4

Honestly, Emery's plot was a letdown just because he finally got his story out, only to have the whole school more interested in a stupid fight over a backpack.

Louis, Jessica, Eddie, and Evan's story was pretty good, though.

7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I want to say it was before the Masters but I'm not certain, but I remember my first awareness of him being that he would probably win it and then would be the youngest, and it felt like at the time all anyone would talk about was that. Time may have rearranged my memories a bit though, so I'm probably wrong, but the whole episode I was thrown off because I feel like my own memories of becoming aware of Tiger Woods all involved the discussion of quadriracialness. It seemed like every mention of him on TV mentioned the Cablinasian thing.

I remember when Tiger Woods was huge and dominated the cultural landscape, and I had no clue he was part Asian until years later. Granted, I was an elementary school student and didn't care that much about his race (I just thought it was cool that he was young and "cool" and playing an "old person" sport), but I always heard him described as black, and in the context of it being this huge moment for black history and black athletes, even though by now his mixed heritage is very well known. I liked the plot, but thought the ending was a let down.

I liked the competition between Jessica and Lou's parenting styles, I think if there was a lesson there, its that both are legit styles, and they work well together. Plenty of families have a "fun" parent and a "tough" parent, I know I did, and it seems to work out in a lot of cases.

• Love 1

Didn't care for the Emery plot but loved the parenting plot.

As soon as they said there was going to be a competition Hubby and I both said "But Emery would win!" Soooo pleased they adressed it in the story!

Oh I laughed so hard at Evan getting angry at his mum and cursing her. Jessica totally deserved that for swapping him out. That line about how his prayers were working was hilarious. 

• Love 2

I can't remember a time when I didn't know Tiger Woods was part Asian, and I remember that first Masters win well.  Maybe it's because I tend to watch sports commentary shows.  I know they played up his African American heritage because of the history of race and golf courses and country clubs in the US.

• Love 3

The entire time I was thinking didn't they already do this episode with Michael Chang? I guess the hook was many folks in the kids generation missed the stories from 60 Minutes to Oprah about Eldrick's multi ethnic background.

I either didn't know or forgot that Tiger Woods was half-Asian.  I never watched or followed golf, even when he was big.

I liked the first 2/3rds of the episode, since it's a refreshing change to see Jessica on the losing end.  I liked her more when she questioned herself.  While generally, I do think Louis is too lax, his approach in this case was good.  I didn't like the resolution with Jessica thinking she was right yet again.

The Emery subplot went nowhere.