Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: Global Relief

• Start Topic

109872_0432b.jpg

When warring rebel groups threaten Elizabeth’s Somalian food relief efforts and kidnap an American aide there, she reluctantly considers asking a notorious Russian arms dealer for help. Also, Henry is blindsided when he is taken off the VFF doomsday cult case, and Alison and Stevie await their college acceptances.

Promos

If she were my daughter, and she did that totally immature notification on my phone/laptop, she would be kicked in the butt from D.C. to Somalia and back.   I don't know if there could be two more vacuous girls than the Secretary's daughters, although the older one isn't as bad as the younger one.   

They could get rid of Henry and his boring story lines, and I wouldn't be angry. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 1

Well, while Noodle acted like a teenager with the phone call...overall I give her points for maturity. She looked at her acceptances, and was savvy enough to realize that what she thought she wanted (and what she chose to overlook in her application process) was important enough for her to reconsider. And when she was confessing to her mom that she thought Stevie was the one they preferred (NO WAY! Team Noodle!) it was very sweet and touching. She and Bess are the ones who are more alike than any of their other kids.

Though "omnipreneur?" yuck.

And WHO at Harvard hates Conrad, Russell and Bess enough to blackball Stevie? If an LSAT-acting, daughter of the SoS with a rec from the Chief of Staff can't get into Harvard Law, there's a real grudge there. If I were Stevie, I wouldn't want to head into that snakepit. They'll probably send her to Georgetown to keep her in the storylines (and where is Prince Jareth these days?

As for the world issues: I'm glad they faked us out by letting the ex-State Dept. staffer live (when he kept saying "goodbye" and she kept calling him a "badass," I was sure he was a goner.) I also felt a bit shocked at how easily Dalton and Conrad agreed to Bess's proposal to work with an arms dealer. (And Russell's, "oh yeah, I'm okay with it" as they left the office shows how much of a pragmatist he his.) I have no doubt Russell can get Stevie into Harvard Law...and that it will be the wrong move.

(Also: John Cullum as the party hack agreeing to let the emergency food supply go through in exchange for using Bess's plane to go to Cabo San Lucas was another dirty politics moment that they just put out there.) 

And, as always, Henry was right. It's a burden, being omnipotent. That whole Portland thing: ...and no one was there! (Very "Silence of the Lambs.") 

2 hours ago, kwnyc said:

John Cullum as the party hack agreeing to let the emergency food supply go through in exchange for using Bess's plane to go to Cabo San Lucas was another dirty politics moment that they just put out there.

She should have sent him out there, then recalled the plane and accidentally put his name on the No-Fly list.  Make the SOB swim home!

• Love 5
23 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

If she were my daughter, and she did that totally immature notification on my phone/laptop, she would be kicked in the butt from D.C. to Somalia and back.   I don't know if there could be two more vacuous girls than the Secretary's daughters, although the older one isn't as bad as the younger one.   

If I ever headed into an important meeting without setting my phone on vibrate-only or completely silent, I would deserve to be hideously embarrassed.  And I'm just a software trainer!  I don't really blame Noodle.

And John Cullum is superb as Mitch McConnell!

• Love 4

I loved how subtly they introduced the mega-yacht into the plot. All the subtly of an anvil hitting on the head. ;) "Oh man, I wonder if this completely unrelated news story will somehow tie into the plot of the episode?" 

• Love 2

Watching this I got the feeling that they switched the daughters' personalities over the course of the series.  I was surprised that Noodle said that Stevie was the smart one.  I was also surprised that Stevie had been in college long enough to be applying to law school. 

12 hours ago, j5cochran said:

If I ever headed into an important meeting without setting my phone on vibrate-only or completely silent, I would deserve to be hideously embarrassed.  

I expected that the phone call was part of the plan to get what they wanted from the arms dealer and then was disappointed when it wasn't.  

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

Watching this I got the feeling that they switched the daughters' personalities over the course of the series.  I was surprised that Noodle said that Stevie was the smart one.  I was also surprised that Stevie had been in college long enough to be applying to law school. 

TI don't think they switched anything - early in S2, Alison and Bess had a fight because Alison felt that everyone else got the attention. In S1 Alison and Stevie also had a fight and Alison told Stevie that she wasn't the smartest anymore (or something along the lines), so it seems that Alison has always felt she was living in Stevie's shadow.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:17 AM, KLovestoShop said:

......she did that totally immature notification on my phone....... 

11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

She changed the ringtone to a very irritating "Mom, there's a phone call, Mom, Mom...."

It reminded me of Grace always calling Alicia and the phone would (as well) go "Hey Mom, Pick up the phone!! Hey Mom, Pick up....."

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

It reminded me of Grace always calling Alicia and the phone would (as well) go "Hey Mom, Pick up the phone!! Hey Mom, Pick up....."

Me too! Exactly!

Count me as Team Noodle. Yes, wherever is Prince Jareth??

I loved Russell's pitbull attitude re: Harvard. HA! "I got a kid with a 2.5 GPA..."

I want to know where Ian is. Still being deprogrammed??

On 4/25/2017 at 10:10 AM, CheshireCat said:

TI don't think they switched anything - early in S2, Alison and Bess had a fight because Alison felt that everyone else got the attention. In S1 Alison and Stevie also had a fight and Alison told Stevie that she wasn't the smartest anymore (or something along the lines), so it seems that Alison has always felt she was living in Stevie's shadow.

Thanks for setting me straight.  I was thinking that, early on, Allison was the "smart one" and Stevie was the "flighty one" but I think that had more to do with the series of unfortunate decisions by Stevie (one can be smart and make poor choices) and and how in most TV shows the it is usually the younger, brown haired daughter who is the "smart one."  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 4

I'd say all the kids are smart, Alison is just the quiet one and, as Bess put it, the non-crisis child ;-)

She's their Lady Edith Crawley, who surprised everyone by having the most interesting life ;-)

• Love 1

When Alison was talking with her mother, asking not to have her situation be about Stevie, I was oddly struck by the beauty of the actress's facial bone structure.  She looked like a Madonna from a Renaissance painting.  It was like I was seeing her from a totally different perspective.  I know that sounds strange, but it really took me out of the scene.  I had to re-watch it to get the gist of the conversation.

Also, who do you think I can contact to get those blue sofas from the Oval Office transported to my home?  I love them - they look so comfy, and the color is gorgeous!