Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Emergency Punch-Up

In need of some real R&R, the team gears up to leave for a company retreat when supervillain Dr. Psycho releases a toxic gas in Charm City. Now stuck in the Wayne Security offices, Emily does her best to make the most of a terrible situation.

This episode already aired in Canada so I'm starting this topic. People who watched the episode can discuss it here. Don't read this topic if you haven't watched the episode yet and don't want to be spoiled.

As I viewed Emergency Punch-Up, I couldn't help but wonder why its broadcast wasn't postponed.  Then I learned that it was, but NBC waited until the last minute (thereby giving CTV insufficient notice to follow suit, apparently).

Even a passing resemblance to tragedies in the news usually results in an episode's rescheduling, so one about a toxic gas attack should have been caught sooner.

• Love 1

Yeah, NOW I get why it was yanked last minute. That must have been a hard decision since the show is already struggling and they knew postponing it, especially last minute, would piss off viewers. But it was the right choice.

That said, this is the only show that makes me laugh out loud consistently, aside from Con Man.  I really want it to succeed and am hoping against hope for it to do so.  Van and his joke earpiece --LMAO.  "So THAT happened.."

• Love 3
7 hours ago, newyawk said:

Which means we should be getting Van vs Emily, which I do not see as having been aired.

It's on CTV's website. (Which I know, 'cause I went there looking for Emergency Punch-Up. I have the only cable system in Canada that doesn't carry a CTV affiliate.)

Well, who can really tell. They release one thing to the TV Guide-type sites, and then either air something different or don't air it at all. I'll have to look online for the Van vs Emily episode, I guess. Now that I've already seen Punchup.

9 hours ago, newyawk said:

Which means we should be getting Van vs Emily, which I do not see as having been aired.

The date that aired in the US is on its episode thread title.  I can't answer for Canada.

SINCE U BEEN GONE....

* Ahem * Sorry.

Anyway, as to the episode itself:

• I'm glad Vanessa got a chance to sing
  • It seemed logical to me that Jackie was the one who should have been sent after Emily, because... what would the gas change?
  • Did anyone catch what was on Wendy's retreat shirt?  I think I saw "ASL" at the start of one of the "words," which makes me think it was a bunch of chat room pickup initialisms.
  • Love 4

If somebody at NBC has half a brain, we'll all be able to buy an "I don't have a catch phrase" T-shirt any minute now...

And I absolutely understand why it got pushed back, but IMO this episode made the Emily we saw in Van v Emily and Green Furious make more sense.  This would have been our first real glimpse of Emily's suppressed inner over-it-all bitch (and, to be fair, a stronger glimpse than in either of the other two episodes), and it might have been more striking coming where it should have.  That said, her going after Van and "Daft Punk without the helmet" Teddy and Wendy was still pretty glorious, as was the gang's saving her through the magic of karaoke.

And that aside...Wendy's detailed description of being stuck on an island with Van almost stole the episode.  And why couldn't they have gotten the actual writers for The Suite Life of Zack and Cody?  It's not like they're doing anything right now...?

• Love 4

Angry pissed off Emily is pretty kickass. I kind of hope she gets possessed by a supervillain or something and lets Vanessa go full on Bad Bitch.

Loved Vans writers giving him jokes throughout the episode. "Great use of a Harvard education."

I hope they put this show on Netflix in the off season, and put all the episodes in order. NBCs order airing and episode descriptions have been a mess all year, and it might be affecting viewership.

On 4/20/2017 at 11:38 PM, MarkHB said:

Did anyone catch what was on Wendy's retreat shirt?  I think I saw "ASL" at the start of one of the "words," which makes me think it was a bunch of chat room pickup initialisms.

It looks like just a bunch of random letters.

Wendy.png

• Love 1

Decent bottle episode at first, but Emily getting infected by that truth gas made the episode ten times better.  Vanessa Hudgens is surprisingly good at playing crazed lunatic (and strangely hotter too.)  Everyone's reaction to that was priceless.  Even Jackie let out a yelp when Ron's danish got flung on the window!  I really would love if they found some other way to turn her evil for an episode (granted, I really doubt this show is lasting past this season...)

Van having writers feed him jokes (and later an inscriptional speech) is so Van.  As was his suit.  Alan Tudyk is a treasure.

The whole desert question segment end up as expected, with Ted and Ron's feeling getting hurt, and Wendy scaring the crap out of Van (and everyone else, pretty much.)

• Love 3
21 hours ago, jhlipton said:

It looks even weirder in full.  I love that Jackie's is just NO.

all 1.jpg

I thought it was is the shape of a penis since she was drawing them on people's faces. Lol

6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Could be but upside-down?

The text on Wendy's shirt is just gibberish, but you know who else had an upside down penis on their chest -- Austin Powers.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5205-1389209668-19_

Van: Nobody Tells a Wayne Where to Pee
Teddy: I Don't Have a Catch Phrase
Ron: Look at Me ! I'm Ron and Everything is Awesome.
Jackie: No.

• Love 3
On 4/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, GenL said:

I thought it was is the shape of a penis since she was drawing them on people's faces. Lol

Per reliable sources, "gibberish in the shape of a dick and balls" is the correct answer.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, newyawk said:

Wasn't there supposed to be an episode that aired l;ast night? I can't find the new ep online. Did it actually air?

No NBC has pulled it from the schedule with no word on if it will return and last night they aired a repeat of Superstore in its place.

Just now, vibeology said:

No NBC has pulled it from the schedule with no word on if it will return and last night they aired a repeat of Superstore in its place.

DAMMIT!! :(

Ok, thanks.