Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Palm of the Iron Fox

"Iron Fox" is probably the best possible description of Emily Beechum as The Widow.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see Legends of Tomorrow's Sara Lance meet The Widow.

This episode was everything!  

Baron Chau is so not for Sisterhood. I guess killing your husband is not the "right" way to become a female Baron.

I am amazed at how Jade always manages to escape being killed.  So now she will be the Widow part 2? I guess the other Barons will be okay with her since she didn't actually kill Ryder.

Speaking of him, good riddance. Talking all that shit at the Conclave and running like a bitch when his not-so-dead daddy appears.  Quinn even gave him a chance to take him out!  Ryder, you wasn't built to be a Baron. 

• Love 4

Seriously, what kind of man kills his own son? I know Quinn isn't going any where, but I hope that Lydia gets to stab him through what passes for a heart before the end. Jade begging for Ryder's life was surprisingly moving. 

I don't understand the other barons. They see Quinn is alive. Instead of banding together against him, they attack and weaken each other. These people are the dumbest fucks around. It is amazing that Quinn hadn't crushed them before.

At this rate Sunny is never getting back to the Badlands. I get the reason for the stall though. Once Sonny returns and reunites with MK, it will be difficult to string out them killing Quinn and freeing Vail and Henry. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Seriously, what kind of man kills his own son?

Perhaps one with a malignant, untreated brain tumor.  I kind of expected something like this when Quinn did the creepy ceremony that specifically designated Henry as his heir.

• Love 1

I guess Waldo is not going to lecture Tilda on following orders any more! 

I found it cute that even though Quinn's clippers were in the middle of the fray, 2 Barons still chose to attack the Widow. I guess manpower is at a premium if they were threatened by her taking in cogs.

We're probably not going to see Lydia's father and his people anymore.  Lydia was propelled back into Ryder's orbit. I'll bet she'll take up with Jade to avenge Ryder even though he treated her like trash the last time they spoke.

Poor Veil. She should have drugged Edgar then climbed out.  He looked like he was going to rape her after getting drugged. 

I don't feel sorry for Ryder. He was too weak to be a Baron. He should have made sure his daddy was dead! Barring that, he should have taken the opportunity Quinn gave him to take the power honestly and honorably.  I think that some part of Quinn knows that he is on borrowed time. But since Ryder couldn't do what he was supposed to do, he had to die.

• Love 1

If a Shogun and a fiery Southern preacher had a baby, it would be Quinn.

So how does Veil plan to explain a broken key on the lock and a dead clipper on the floor?

So we have the other 4 Barons vs. the Widow vs Quinn?

Can't  say I'll miss Ryder. 

• Love 3

My respect and like for Veil went down after this episode. I realize she’s in a tough spot and perhaps you are supposed to make allowance that she’s only doing what she did (charm Edgar into letting her in to the “green” room, spike his drink to knock him out) because there is no other choice, but she knew (so did Edgar!) what would happen to him if Quinn came back and found her gone: Edgar would be one dead Edgar. For me that leaves the Widow(!) to carry the burden of being the moral center of the show. How crazy is that.

To me this was by far the best episode of the season, apart from the Widow's fight in the first episode: (1) no Sunny/Nick Frost; (2) I could FF MK; (3) Quinn is a compelling character, especially now that he's become a southern preacher. 

The two parts I especially liked :  When Gabriel said "Chaos is on the menu" or something like that, and Ryder correcting his father about the statue.

I got to show off my ancient mythology geek credentials in front of the people I was watching this with: when Quinn identified the statue as Cronos, I commented: "it looks more like Laocoon". Seconds later, Ryder backed me up. 

On 4/10/2017 at 2:03 PM, FlowerofCarnage said:

So how does Veil plan to explain a broken key on the lock and a dead clipper on the floor?

It looks like she is the only woman in Quinn's bunker.  "He tried to rape me."  But Quinn also knows she wants out and away from him. I'll bet he will just look at Edgar's body and say "Oh well. Who's going to cook dinner now?"

On 4/10/2017 at 6:05 PM, Ed McCauley said:

For me that leaves the Widow(!) to carry the burden of being the moral center of the show. How crazy is that.

I love how our perception of her went from archvillain, to sympathetic anti-villain, to hard-boiled anti-hero, to "moral center of the show" over the course of 10 episodes. That's got to be my favorite part of this show. I think the Widow is my spirit animal.

It was weird to have an episode without Sunny, but there was so much going on there wouldn't have been time. I didn't miss him until the credits rolled.

Felt bad for poor Edgar. I wonder why Veil saved Quinn's life in the first place? I guess he provided her with a safe place to deliver the baby, but how could she have known that in advance?

Quinn's "kill them all" was my favorite character moment of his for the series so far. He was there to kill his son, or be killed by him or whatever, but as long as the other barons were in the room, might as well have them killed, right? It was the offhand quality to it, he wasn't even paying attention. I mean, they probably wouldn't get them all, and his guys would probably get killed trying, but who cares about that stuff. Maybe one of them will get lucky and behead one of the Barons, and fuck those guys. This makes me sound like a horrible person, but I laughed out loud at that point. The headline that says it all:

Is it wrong to root for the vile Baron Quinn on 'Into the Badlands'?

... I don't want to be right, etc.

• Love 1

What I don't understand about Veil's unsuccessful escape attempt - once she realised the gate was locked, why didn't she just go back and tie up Edgar?  Take his keys then?  She said he would be out for an hour, and I'm pretty sure she ran as soon as he passed out, so it's not like she didn't have time.  Instead, she ignored his existence and beat uselessly at a lock that was never going to break.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Canada said:

What I don't understand about Veil's unsuccessful escape attempt - once she realised the gate was locked, why didn't she just go back and tie up Edgar?  Take his keys then?  She said he would be out for an hour, and I'm pretty sure she ran as soon as he passed out, so it's not like she didn't have time.  Instead, she ignored his existence and beat uselessly at a lock that was never going to break.

Fearful desperation doesn't lead to the clearest thinking or actions.

Weird seeing a Sunny-less episode.  But I guess Daniel Wu deserves a break.  Plus, I'm guessing Sunny and Baije are probably just traipsing through another field or something, so I down anything too significant is going down.

I almost felt bad over laughing at Ryder fleeing from Quinn in such childish and cowardly fashion.  He even left Jade behind (good thing Quinn doesn't seem to really care about her part in the betrayal.)  But it looks like his reign has already come to an end.  Crazy that Quinn killed his own son, but to be fair, he did give Ryder the opportunity to actually kill him first (unless it was all a test.)  I think once he saw Ryder couldn't even do that, he knew Ryder didn't have what it took to be a Baron.

The Widow and Emily Beechem continue to be awesome, although it certainly helps that she has great allies in both Waldo and Tilda.  I hope the three pull it off and remain loyal to one another.  Am kind of side-eyeing that solider who was questioning The Widow's decisions to Tilda.

I'm glad Veil tried to make an attempt to get out, but talk about failing in spectacular fashion.  Plus, I never understand why someone just stares at a person and make it obvious that they drugged or poisoned someone.  If you were going to do that, it would be wiser to act shock or confused or, hell, even pretend you are getting ready to pass out too, incase it backfires for whatever reason.  But they never do.  If it's a villain, they gloat and if it's a good guy, they just dramatically stare and pretty much wear a sign saying "Yep, I totally drugged you!  Sorry!!
"

• Love 1
On 4/10/2017 at 7:05 PM, Ed McCauley said:

she knew (so did Edgar!) what would happen to him if Quinn came back and found her gone: Edgar would be one dead Edgar.

Exactly.  She might as well have used a poison in his drink instead of a sleeping potion.  I'm not sure that makes her Eeeeeeeeeeeeevil -- she almost certainly wasn't thinking that far ahead.

On 4/11/2017 at 5:18 AM, Ravenya003 said:

I got to show off my ancient mythology geek credentials in front of the people I was watching this with: when Quinn identified the statue as Cronos, I commented: "it looks more like Laocoon". Seconds later, Ryder backed me up. 

I know -- I was thinking thew same thing!

On 4/15/2017 at 5:40 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Am kind of side-eyeing that solider who was questioning The Widow's decisions to Tilda.

Same

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I'm not sure that makes her Eeeeeeeeeeeeevil -- she almost certainly wasn't thinking that far ahead.

She is being held captive against her will, and Quinn seems to have plans of her his own for her baby.  As far as I'm concerned, she could have poisoned Quinn's entire band of Merrie Men and Quinn too, and still wouldn't be "evil" for doing it.  

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

I know that she thought she was doing Edgar a kindness, but his death would have been far more painful than one of her poisons if Quinn came back to find her gone.  I just don't think she thought of that or she probably would have poisoned him.  But then we'd have one less fighting scene, and this show just doesn't have enough of those!  LOL

On 4/15/2017 at 4:40 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I almost felt bad over laughing at Ryder fleeing from Quinn in such childish and cowardly fashion.  He even left Jade behind (good thing Quinn doesn't seem to really care about her part in the betrayal.)  

Quinn being Quinn, in spite of Jade betraying him and trying to have him killed, I don't think he's completely ruled out the possibility of hooking up with her in the future. I can hear him now: "Come on, baby, can't we put all that son-murdering business behind us? Ryder was never man enough for you anyway. Admit it, we were great together. We had some good times. Why don't we give it another shot?"