Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Episode 3

Luis arrives at the Hesby Farm and receives important information about his missing son while Coy witnesses a horrific incident that changes his entire perception about life in the field and confirms his dark new reality. Meanwhile, Shae begins to reconsider her decision to stay in a shelter, and Kimara receives difficult personal news. After a deep and revealing conversation, Jeanette and JD attend the workers’ rally.

10 hours ago, janeta said:

So the actor who plays the white guy in the fields (Coy?)-- is it in his contracts that he has to have the crap kicked out of him at least once per season?

I complained about the slight build of the actor last episode, but insofar as he was destined to be the victim of the equally slight brother in this episode, he was cast perfectly. I DO think that the brother who was goaded into beating him is covering for some sexual issues revolving around an attraction for the addict, while the older one probably knows, but also knows that the kid was/is aware of his raping the workers, and wants him silenced. They both need to be locked in a trailer and set afire. (IMO< of course.)

I understand Regina King's friend's reluctance to go along with her plan, and I admire it. I sometimes wonder if my father had an inkling that I existed, but, alas, according to my mother, he never did.

Nice of her to give Shae (I learned a name!) a cell phone, but in that place, how long before the others turn on her because she's getting "special treatment"? It really can be a horrible world.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I complained about the slight build of the actor last episode, but insofar as he was destined to be the victim of the equally slight brother in this episode, he was cast perfectly. I DO think that the brother who was goaded into beating him is covering for some sexual issues revolving around an attraction for the addict, while the older one probably knows, but also knows that the kid was/is aware of his raping the workers, and wants him silenced. They both need to be locked in a trailer and set afire. (IMO< of course.)

I guess I didn't realize the field supervisors were brothers.

It looks like next week we will be introduced to Tim Hutton's character.

18 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

Nice of her to give Shae (I learned a name!) a cell phone, but in that place, how long before the others turn on her because she's getting "special treatment"? It really can be a horrible world.

It was a camera, not a cell phone.

8 hours ago, roughing it said:

I guess I didn't realize the field supervisors were brothers.

It looks like next week we will be introduced to Tim Hutton's character.

But haven't they teased him (Hutton) at the end of every ep so far?

I still think that Isaac is hot for Coy, and that's the main reason he beat the shit out of him. He doesn't like the feelings he has towards him, mixed with embarrassment that he cant stand up to his asshole rapist brother.

I'm hoping this season comes together a bit more, especially the stuff with Regina King and the teen prostitute. It looks like the stuff with Luis is coming to mix with the story with Coy, I wonder if those will end up mixing? I hope the girl doesn't end up giving her baby to Regina King. Its WAY too obvious a solution, especially for this show.

The final shot of Coy getting the crap kicked out of him, but from a distance, was a really cool shot. It made the whole thing even sadder.

1 hour ago, itainttippithebird said:

My guess is Shay is going to want an abortion but be blocked by the Christian shelter; Kimora will have to become her reluctant advocate who is torn up about it inside be she would do anything to be pregnant.

That "shelter" looks like a jail, treats it's guests as if they were in jail in every aspect we have seen. About the only difference is that I haven't seen armed guards outside of the wall to stop escapes 

• Love 1

I understand Regina King's friend's reluctance to go along with her plan, and I admire it.

He's her brother-in-law (married to her sister Denise), not just her friend.

Great scene between Tim DeKay and Felicity Huffman. The look on JD's face was just so sad. You caught fleeting moments of relief/happiness that someone else cared mixed with anguish and guilt and self-loathing. The part of him that cares was yearning to break out and say yes to her help but the beaten down cynical messy shell feels it's hopeless.

And sadly even if JD were to get control of the farm, I'd bet that he'd make the turn towards the unsavory methods in order to keep the farm going because in the end it's either that or the farm closes altogether. That or  he realizes that his farm is but a smaller cog in the big wheel of this ruthless machine.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 4

Just caught up on this episode. Damn, this one was a hard watch.

Luis' desperation was heartbreaking.

That shelter looks like a nightmare. 

Had a feeling something was going to happen with Isaac and Coy. Just didn't think it would be a vicious beating.